Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
08:01 - Jul 26 with 10838 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:09 - Jul 26 with 5765 viewsTLA

I'm no expert (being a couple of stone overweight these days!) but focussing on endurance might be good, although 33 miles on the bike is good.

I would do longer slower runs, maybe with a few sprints or some hillwork thrown in.

Your regime sounds pretty impressive to me though!
Fitness advice... on 08:11 - Jul 26 with 5760 viewsitfcjoe

For any quick exercises best to look at HIIT workouts - loads on YouTube but you can smash 20 minutes and it makes a big difference - plus loads of bodyweight exercises so can be done at hime.

Joe Wicks AKA The Body Coach can grate on you but he has some good stuff on his YT channel

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 08:14 - Jul 26 with 5752 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:09 - Jul 26 by TLA

I'm no expert (being a couple of stone overweight these days!) but focussing on endurance might be good, although 33 miles on the bike is good.

I would do longer slower runs, maybe with a few sprints or some hillwork thrown in.

Your regime sounds pretty impressive to me though!

Fitness advice... on 08:15 - Jul 26 with 5743 viewsSteve_M

Don't forget to include rest days. I've pushed mine a bit whilst recovering from my ankle op and could really feel my legs aching in the gym on Sunday so decided no to push through it.

On quiet days when I'm home, I tend to do core stability stuff and strengthening the weak leg - combination of squats, leg raises, bridge mainly. Oh and use the foam roller to work on sore muscles - I would recommend one to everyone.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

on 08:16 - Jul 26 with 5740 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:11 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

For any quick exercises best to look at HIIT workouts - loads on YouTube but you can smash 20 minutes and it makes a big difference - plus loads of bodyweight exercises so can be done at hime.

Joe Wicks AKA The Body Coach can grate on you but he has some good stuff on his YT channel

Fitness advice... on 08:19 - Jul 26 with 5729 viewsbluelou

Try an app called Results by runkeeper. They do a 12 week programme of body weight exercises, 15 mins a day for 3 or 4 days a week that are very effective. It's not free, but it's a great app.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Fitness advice... on 08:19 - Jul 26 with 5730 viewsKieran_Knows

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, but perhaps look to add squash in to your routine one evening a week or something? I've been playing squash quite seriously for just over a year now (3 times a week, double sessions), and I've lost 3 and a half stone and been the fittest I have ever been, even more so when I was around the age of 14/15/16 playing football, week in, week out.

Obviously you'd need someone to go with, and I've been very fortunate a good mate of mine has helped my by coming along every time, but it really is a fantastic sport to be honest.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

on 08:24 - Jul 26 with 5713 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:15 - Jul 26 by Steve_M

Don't forget to include rest days. I've pushed mine a bit whilst recovering from my ankle op and could really feel my legs aching in the gym on Sunday so decided no to push through it.

On quiet days when I'm home, I tend to do core stability stuff and strengthening the weak leg - combination of squats, leg raises, bridge mainly. Oh and use the foam roller to work on sore muscles - I would recommend one to everyone.

Login to get fewer ads

Fitness advice... on 08:27 - Jul 26 with 5698 viewsRimmersBrace

Fitness advice... on 08:19 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, but perhaps look to add squash in to your routine one evening a week or something? I've been playing squash quite seriously for just over a year now (3 times a week, double sessions), and I've lost 3 and a half stone and been the fittest I have ever been, even more so when I was around the age of 14/15/16 playing football, week in, week out.

Obviously you'd need someone to go with, and I've been very fortunate a good mate of mine has helped my by coming along every time, but it really is a fantastic sport to be honest.

Steer clear of any sports especially racquet sports and football. Your body is simply not designed for them and injury ensues. OK to watch, not OK to participate.
on 08:27 - Jul 26 with 5699 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:19 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

on 08:30 - Jul 26 with 5688 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:27 - Jul 26 by RimmersBrace

Steer clear of any sports especially racquet sports and football. Your body is simply not designed for them and injury ensues. OK to watch, not OK to participate.

Fitness advice... on 08:30 - Jul 26 with 5685 viewsTLA

on 08:14 - Jul 26 by _

It sounds like you're doing well!

I was really out of shape when I signed up to do the Great North Run (many years ago!). I found that doing short runs twice a weeks and a longer slower one on Sundays meant I was suddenly running 6-8-10 miles - keeping the long runs slow was key though.

I've just seen Mick Knows' suggestion of squash - if you can find someone at a similar level, it's great exercise to prepare for football. It's really hard work to begin with though!

*Edited because I mistook Steve M for Mick Knows…sorry!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 8:32]
Fitness advice... on 08:31 - Jul 26 with 5676 viewsbobbyramsey

"You can't out-run a good diet"
Fitness advice... on 08:32 - Jul 26 with 5672 viewsNewcyBlue

on 08:24 - Jul 26 by _

The HIIT stuff is really good as Joe said. I did a bit of it whilst I was away last time and shed a load of weight and noticed my speed going in and out of cargo holds was much improved.

I have just started Crossfit and must say it's addictive and I can see why so many people do it.

Also, when it comes to diet......

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/29/veganism-jermain-defoe-pla

Don't tell Callis about that Guardian article!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Fitness advice... on 08:33 - Jul 26 with 5665 viewsNewcyBlue

Fitness advice... on 08:30 - Jul 26 by TLA

It sounds like you're doing well!

I was really out of shape when I signed up to do the Great North Run (many years ago!). I found that doing short runs twice a weeks and a longer slower one on Sundays meant I was suddenly running 6-8-10 miles - keeping the long runs slow was key though.

I've just seen Mick Knows' suggestion of squash - if you can find someone at a similar level, it's great exercise to prepare for football. It's really hard work to begin with though!

*Edited because I mistook Steve M for Mick Knows…sorry!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 8:32]

Round is a shape!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Fitness advice... on 08:37 - Jul 26 with 5652 viewsTLA

on 08:27 - Jul 26 by _

Finding a partner of a similar standard is vital.

I once played a guy who said he was a beginner - it's because the squash club he had belonged to in Malaysia had the world number 2 player so everyone downplayed their status. He was unbelievable and I was a sweaty, wheezing mess after about 10 minutes!

I've also played against people not as good and it's not enjoyable either.

If it was 10 years ago, I'd offer to play you!
on 08:37 - Jul 26 with 5650 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:31 - Jul 26 by bobbyramsey

"You can't out-run a good diet"

Fitness advice... on 08:37 - Jul 26 with 5652 viewsKieran_Knows

on 08:27 - Jul 26 by _

Very much so. Me and my mate had been playing on and off for a couple of years previous to last year, he was already a half decent player as he had played regularly beforehand and I was just completely cr*p. He had me running all round the court, which to lose weight was great to be honest. I'd say we're fairly even players now and have some bloody good matches each time we play. Come off the court as if I've stood in the shower fully clothed!

As I say, appreciate you need to find someone to play with!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Fitness advice... on 08:40 - Jul 26 with 5638 viewsitfcjoe

on 08:24 - Jul 26 by _

I know this is what you are trying to ensure, but make sure you don't burn yourself out trying to get fit.

Might just be worth picking up a cheap book on strength and conditioning for football - because I'd guess long sistance running and cycling aren't going to do much for you once you can do either for 90 minutes - need core and explosive exercises

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 08:41 - Jul 26 with 5632 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:37 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Very much so. Me and my mate had been playing on and off for a couple of years previous to last year, he was already a half decent player as he had played regularly beforehand and I was just completely cr*p. He had me running all round the court, which to lose weight was great to be honest. I'd say we're fairly even players now and have some bloody good matches each time we play. Come off the court as if I've stood in the shower fully clothed!

As I say, appreciate you need to find someone to play with!

on 08:44 - Jul 26 with 5625 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:40 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

I know this is what you are trying to ensure, but make sure you don't burn yourself out trying to get fit.

Might just be worth picking up a cheap book on strength and conditioning for football - because I'd guess long sistance running and cycling aren't going to do much for you once you can do either for 90 minutes - need core and explosive exercises

Fitness advice... on 08:52 - Jul 26 with 5610 viewsJon_456

Best thing ive ever done is HIIT.

Ive played football at a decent standard my whole life and so im in fairly good shape, yet when I introduced HIIT into my runs, I went from 80kgs to 76kgs within the first 3 weeks.

Doing 2-3 20minute HIIT runs a week helped improve my game all round, not just physically but mentally.

Of course rest is vital when pushing yourself, its easy to get caught up in it in the first couple of weeks and over do it, which then catches up with you later down the line if you don't get the rest you need.

And finally, dieting correctly. Just by adjusting your diet alone, you'll find an improvement in your fitness and overall health.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Fitness advice... on 08:58 - Jul 26 with 5579 viewsTLA

Fitness advice... on 08:40 - Jul 26 by itfcjoe

That's really good advice.

When I used to run, someone suggested a wobble board - it made me realise how terrible my balance was! It really helped with core strengthening through, and was a cheap way to do it.
on 09:03 - Jul 26 with 5563 views_

Fitness advice... on 08:52 - Jul 26 by Jon_456

Best thing ive ever done is HIIT.

Ive played football at a decent standard my whole life and so im in fairly good shape, yet when I introduced HIIT into my runs, I went from 80kgs to 76kgs within the first 3 weeks.

Doing 2-3 20minute HIIT runs a week helped improve my game all round, not just physically but mentally.

Of course rest is vital when pushing yourself, its easy to get caught up in it in the first couple of weeks and over do it, which then catches up with you later down the line if you don't get the rest you need.

And finally, dieting correctly. Just by adjusting your diet alone, you'll find an improvement in your fitness and overall health.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Fitness advice... on 09:07 - Jul 26 with 5551 viewsbobbyramsey

on 08:37 - Jul 26 by _

Sounds like you need to "up" your beer intake lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024