Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars 08:09 - Jul 26 with 14564 viewsLord_Lucan

and now (by 2020) we will be taxed heavily on them.

By 2040 all new cars will have to be electric or hybrid.

If everyone had an electric car we will run out of power, we will need to build another 6 nuclear power stations.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:11 - Jul 26 with 3271 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:52 - Jul 26 by NewcyBlue

The blue hdi thing? It is close to 100mpg. 1.6 diesel thing.

Could be, ask Harry Palmer, he is on his way to buy one

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:12 - Jul 26 with 3270 viewstcblue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:10 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Thats excellent thanks. Anything on battery disposal, thats my hang up on this technology, we cant even get rid of laptop batteries without a load of fuss...

Given the finite nature of lithium, all batteries (including laptop and EV) can and should be recycled.

Tip for any entrepreneurs on here, get into the lithium recycling game. It's going to be massive.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:15 - Jul 26 with 3258 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:56 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

I had a problem with it because your first post was an anti-expert post (what do they know etc etc). They didn't get it wrong, you are moving the goalposts to a different criteria.

They were told to make recommendations to reduce global warming gases - they did that. They would make the same recommendation now if that was the given criteria.

The criteria has changed thus the recommendation is different.

We disagree, that's fine. In the end we need to move forward with the new recommendations based on the new requirements/criteria.

SB
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 10:57]

Hypothesising 'what else could they be wrong about' is not anti-expert though. Experts were asleep at the wheel of the economy for instance for many years. Holding them accountable when they screw up is what we are supposed to do. They screwed up on diesel.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:16 - Jul 26 with 3256 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:12 - Jul 26 by tcblue

Given the finite nature of lithium, all batteries (including laptop and EV) can and should be recycled.

Tip for any entrepreneurs on here, get into the lithium recycling game. It's going to be massive.

Sadly the recycling will go to developing countries with cheap labour and few if any health and safety controls

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:17 - Jul 26 with 3252 viewstcblue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:16 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Sadly the recycling will go to developing countries with cheap labour and few if any health and safety controls

That's us after Brexit so, happy days?
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:17 - Jul 26 with 3252 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:00 - Jul 26 by tcblue

Hi,

Longish time EV enthusiast here to dispel some vegan myths.

1.) I have a 5 year old Nissan Leaf which has done 63,000 miles, most of which has been charged at home but probably at least a couple of thousand by a CHaDEMO rapid charger. The battery efficiency has dropped by 1.7% from new.
2.) The newer models have 50% more range than my old one, and charge just as quickly.
3.) I fully agree that battery production isn't especially environmentally friendly. I am getting a wall battery to feed from my solar panels during the day to reduce the footprint further.
4.) There's studies recently which show that renewable energy sources such as wind and solar, are actually CHEAPER to build now. The graphic below shows how much land would be required to fully provide the whole world with enough power from solar for all of its current needs:

Battery technology is changing at a rate which far outstrips early days of combustion, and I fully expect the trajectory to continue, doubling range and halving charge times. The Tesla Superchargers are an incredible testament to this.

The big drawback currently is the public charging network. This needs huge investment over the next couple of decades.

good post thanks. What's your electric bill like at home?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:18 - Jul 26 with 3250 viewsNo9

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:09 - Jul 26 by tcblue

Again, only a problem with the availability and efficiency of the charging stations. 'Range anxiety' is a nonsense if that's resolved, which it is for Tesla in certain states in the US. One of my wealthier friends lives in California and has a Tesla Model S 100D which does real world 300 miles on a charge, and it takes 40 minutes to charge to 80% from empty.

I don't do more than 300 miles without stopping, perhaps not as long as 40 minutes but given just five years ago the hypothetical charge time would have been approximately 10 hours, you can see how things are progressing.

But isn't the Tesla battery very costly?

I was quoted a minimum £8k for one
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:27 - Jul 26 with 3230 viewsNewcyBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:11 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Could be, ask Harry Palmer, he is on his way to buy one

That injects AdBlue, which is urea and water, into a chamber in the exhaust. Supposedly removes all particulates.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:31 - Jul 26 with 3217 viewsGeoffSentence

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:27 - Jul 26 by NewcyBlue

That injects AdBlue, which is urea and water, into a chamber in the exhaust. Supposedly removes all particulates.

Does that mean that we can save the planet by pissing into our exhaust pipes before leaving home?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:37 - Jul 26 with 3205 viewsElderGrizzly

Hybrids will be banned as well. Just electric only

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-dies
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:38 - Jul 26 with 3200 viewsLord_Lucan

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:37 - Jul 26 by ElderGrizzly

Hybrids will be banned as well. Just electric only

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-dies

Anyone want to buy a petrol filling station?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:38 - Jul 26 with 3199 viewsNewcyBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:31 - Jul 26 by GeoffSentence

Does that mean that we can save the planet by pissing into our exhaust pipes before leaving home?

Errrrrr sure. Can I come and try that in yours first?

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:41 - Jul 26 with 3189 viewshoppy

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:31 - Jul 26 by GeoffSentence

I miss Keno, with all his euphemisms...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:47 - Jul 26 with 3173 viewstcblue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:17 - Jul 26 by chicoazul

good post thanks. What's your electric bill like at home?

Honestly haven't really noticed it going up hugely, even with two EVs, but:

A) I have solar cells on the roof
B) I'm pretty bad at bills management
C) I'm also a full-on hippy so my energy supplier is Good Energy, who buy their energy from renewable sources, so probably aren't the cheapest.

Certainly compared with petrol (not to mention tax) it is considerably cheaper.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:47 - Jul 26 with 3170 viewsThe_Last_Baron

By 2040 electric cars will have been surpassed by a new fuel which gives off no CO2 emissions yet performs as well as a petrol engine. Electric cars will never sell in huge numbers.

I remember around 20 years ago an engineer in America designed a car which was powered by water. He died very suddenly(!!) before his invention could develop further. A car running on water would be a disaster for world governments.

On another point, how does a government know how the world will look in 23 years time?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:47 - Jul 26 with 3169 viewsBluebell

I might struggle with that one!
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:49 - Jul 26 with 3163 viewshoppy

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:47 - Jul 26 by Bluebell

I might struggle with that one!

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:50 - Jul 26 with 3156 viewstcblue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:18 - Jul 26 by No9

But isn't the Tesla battery very costly?

I was quoted a minimum £8k for one

A wall battery? Yes, they are quite costly as there's inverters and a lot of efficiency technology as well as the battery pack itself. Other suppliers are (much) cheaper depending on technology and (of course) battery capacity
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:51 - Jul 26 with 3149 viewsBluebell

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:49 - Jul 26 by hoppy

Won't my neighbours think it's funny if I am kneeling down in my drive using one of those though?
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:54 - Jul 26 with 3148 viewsNewcyBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:51 - Jul 26 by Bluebell

Won't my neighbours think it's funny if I am kneeling down in my drive using one of those though?

Do it before you offer them a lift then

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:56 - Jul 26 with 3141 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:47 - Jul 26 by tcblue

Honestly haven't really noticed it going up hugely, even with two EVs, but:

A) I have solar cells on the roof
B) I'm pretty bad at bills management
C) I'm also a full-on hippy so my energy supplier is Good Energy, who buy their energy from renewable sources, so probably aren't the cheapest.

Certainly compared with petrol (not to mention tax) it is considerably cheaper.

Excellent thanks. I am thinking of getting solar panels and an EV myself. Not a Leaf though, I need me a sexy Tesla.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:58 - Jul 26 with 3135 viewshoppy

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:51 - Jul 26 by Bluebell

I don't know what your neighbours are like, but I would imagine they'd be quite used to you if you've lived next to them for a while?

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 12:04 - Jul 26 with 3123 viewstcblue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 11:56 - Jul 26 by chicoazul

Excellent thanks. I am thinking of getting solar panels and an EV myself. Not a Leaf though, I need me a sexy Tesla.

I go through phases with Tesla. Undeniably the technology and battery life is leaps and miles ahead of competitors, but then the interior never feels quite like an expensive car should (before my car veganism I always had (second hand) 'nice' cars).

That said, stamping on the quiet pedal tends to make all of that melt away. I'm really interested in seeing what the Model 3 is like, I think it may very well dilute the appeal of the S.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 12:09 - Jul 26 with 3116 viewsimsureazzure

Marvelous isn't it?

Here we are planning and installing diesel powered generating plants with a 10 year rolling contract, what happens to those?
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 12:11]
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 12:12 - Jul 26 with 3107 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 12:04 - Jul 26 by tcblue

I go through phases with Tesla. Undeniably the technology and battery life is leaps and miles ahead of competitors, but then the interior never feels quite like an expensive car should (before my car veganism I always had (second hand) 'nice' cars).

That said, stamping on the quiet pedal tends to make all of that melt away. I'm really interested in seeing what the Model 3 is like, I think it may very well dilute the appeal of the S.

they're self driving too. Can you imagine that? It would be like taking a roller coaster to work every day. Imagine the anxiety.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024