Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars 08:09 - Jul 26 with 14540 viewsLord_Lucan

and now (by 2020) we will be taxed heavily on them.

By 2040 all new cars will have to be electric or hybrid.

If everyone had an electric car we will run out of power, we will need to build another 6 nuclear power stations.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:13 - Jul 26 with 7564 viewsTLA

It's still rare to see cars plugged in to charging stations. Things will have to change very quickly, including the production of sustainable energy.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:28 - Jul 26 with 7520 viewsJon_456

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:13 - Jul 26 by TLA

It's still rare to see cars plugged in to charging stations. Things will have to change very quickly, including the production of sustainable energy.

They'll also need to dramatically improve the range and charging times.

Most electric cars at the moment wont get you any further than 100miles before it needs re-charging. Then you have to wait hours for it to charge.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:29 - Jul 26 with 7520 viewsRimmersBrace

Electric cars are not environmentally friendly. There is a huge loss in transmitting power across the national grid. Also the manufacture of batteries is not a clean process. The best solution is petrol.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:32 - Jul 26 with 7507 viewsThePitBoss

Just shows that the so called 'global warming' scientists have been talking horse sh1t.

Just part of the biggest scam in history.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:33 - Jul 26 with 7503 viewsGuthrum

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:13 - Jul 26 by TLA

It is increasingly frequent. Most motorway services now have charging ranks.

The big breakthrough will not be battery size and storage, but battery life (i.e. the number of charges it can take before capacity is critically reduced).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:01 - Jul 26 with 7405 viewsTLA

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:33 - Jul 26 by Guthrum

The big breakthrough will not be battery size and storage, but battery life (i.e. the number of charges it can take before capacity is critically reduced).

Fair enough - I should have mentioned that I live in Norfolk. We haven't moved on to steam trains yet!

The car park I use a lot in Norwich city centre has 4 or 5 charging bays and they are still often the only free spaces in the place.
So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:03 - Jul 26 with 7401 viewshype313

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:33 - Jul 26 by Guthrum

Nail on head, battery degregation over time, and a short period at that, is the problem.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:19 - Jul 26 with 7363 viewsfactual_blue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:03 - Jul 26 by hype313

Nail on head, battery degregation over time, and a short period at that, is the problem.

But can they fly?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:24 - Jul 26 with 7355 viewsStokieBlue

There is a lot of money going into battery research at the moment, companies like Tesla are pouring cash in. You are right though, degradation is the main issue followed by speed of charge. Unfortunately the two things are currently linked, you can make very fast charging batteries but they degrade much quicker.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:57 - Jul 26 with 7299 viewsDeano69

Typical 'Now' thinking unfortunately. Where are we going to dispose of all these batteries? The additional eco-cost to manufacture them is bad enough, yet alone getting rid of them when they are knackered

Hydrogen, that's where we should be heading.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:59 - Jul 26 with 7292 viewsStokieBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:57 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Typical 'Now' thinking unfortunately. Where are we going to dispose of all these batteries? The additional eco-cost to manufacture them is bad enough, yet alone getting rid of them when they are knackered

Hydrogen, that's where we should be heading.

There is some merit to hydrogen, the Japanese have invested heavily in it. It's quicker to fill up and the only byproduct from the fuel cell is water.

However there is a big elephant in the room with hydrogen - how are you going to make it? It requires a large amount of electricity.

SB

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:01 - Jul 26 with 7282 viewsGeoffSentence

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:32 - Jul 26 by ThePitBoss

Just shows that the so called 'global warming' scientists have been talking horse sh1t.

You are funny. Can you let us in on how you got that from th OP so we can have another giggle.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:06 - Jul 26 with 7262 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 09:59 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

There is some merit to hydrogen, the Japanese have invested heavily in it. It's quicker to fill up and the only byproduct from the fuel cell is water.

However there is a big elephant in the room with hydrogen - how are you going to make it? It requires a large amount of electricity.

SB

Probably less power than all those cars charging at home and work, plus there's no loss of energy with cars power dissipating even when standing still doing nothing. Can you imagine how many batteries Lorries and Buses/Coaches will require, the additional weight the carry and as previously mentioned, the disposal of all those toxic batteries...

You can get 100mpg from petrol these days. I have just order a diesel which is a Euro 6 engine, dealer reckons (nothing scientific that i am aware of) its cleaner than petrol. Its a large 3 litre car with just 129 g/km and will do 60mpg.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:08 - Jul 26 with 7251 viewsGlasgowBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:01 - Jul 26 by GeoffSentence

You are funny. Can you let us in on how you got that from th OP so we can have another giggle.

Wasn't the decision to push people into using diesel a direct response to the Kyoto Treaty based on the evidence to hand?

Wasn't that evidence and decision completely wrong?

Wasn't that aroungpd the time we were told the Hymalya glaciers were melting and that the next generation of children wouldn't know what snow was?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:09 - Jul 26 with 7246 viewsStokieBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:06 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Probably less power than all those cars charging at home and work, plus there's no loss of energy with cars power dissipating even when standing still doing nothing. Can you imagine how many batteries Lorries and Buses/Coaches will require, the additional weight the carry and as previously mentioned, the disposal of all those toxic batteries...

You can get 100mpg from petrol these days. I have just order a diesel which is a Euro 6 engine, dealer reckons (nothing scientific that i am aware of) its cleaner than petrol. Its a large 3 litre car with just 129 g/km and will do 60mpg.

There is a loss of energy when generating the hydrogen though, you can't beat thermodynamics. Was just highlighting that there are issues with all the fuels, the world needs to make a decision about which way to go.

If they can crack something like fusion (looking unlikely any time soon) then any of them are fine as it's basically unlimited clean energy.

SB

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:12 - Jul 26 with 7233 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:09 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

There is a loss of energy when generating the hydrogen though, you can't beat thermodynamics. Was just highlighting that there are issues with all the fuels, the world needs to make a decision about which way to go.

If they can crack something like fusion (looking unlikely any time soon) then any of them are fine as it's basically unlimited clean energy.

SB

Saw a really interesting short film on thermodynamics which explains why self perpetuating machines cant work (Light bulb powering its own solar panel etc). See if i can find it.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:14 - Jul 26 with 7227 viewshoppy

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:06 - Jul 26 by Deano69

So you've ordered a diesel... so presumably it's still a better option for you than petrol, and despite the rise in taxation on diesels over the next few years?

I'm hoping to be able to replace my car soon(ish), although not as soon as I'd like. I tend to average between 16k-18k miles per year, and have always had diesel. My leaning would be towards diesel again, but unsure what the threshold would be now as to which works out better costwise to buy and run? I'd be looking at used (from 15 plate onwards) rather than new in all likelihood, but unsure of which is seen as the best option these days on that kind of mileage.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:15 - Jul 26 with 7221 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:12 - Jul 26 by Deano69

Saw a really interesting short film on thermodynamics which explains why self perpetuating machines cant work (Light bulb powering its own solar panel etc). See if i can find it.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:21 - Jul 26 with 7194 viewsGeoffSentence

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:08 - Jul 26 by GlasgowBlue

Wasn't the decision to push people into using diesel a direct response to the Kyoto Treaty based on the evidence to hand?

Wasn't that evidence and decision completely wrong?

Wasn't that aroungpd the time we were told the Hymalya glaciers were melting and that the next generation of children wouldn't know what snow was?

Yes, because t hey produce low co2 compared to petrol. Unfortunately it turns out that they produce lots of other bad stuff, particulates and nitrous oxide which between them are bad for health, have a greenhouse effect and deplete ozone.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:23 - Jul 26 with 7184 viewsWeekender

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 08:32 - Jul 26 by ThePitBoss

oh dear

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:25 - Jul 26 with 7177 viewsDeano69

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:14 - Jul 26 by hoppy

So you've ordered a diesel... so presumably it's still a better option for you than petrol, and despite the rise in taxation on diesels over the next few years?

I'm hoping to be able to replace my car soon(ish), although not as soon as I'd like. I tend to average between 16k-18k miles per year, and have always had diesel. My leaning would be towards diesel again, but unsure what the threshold would be now as to which works out better costwise to buy and run? I'd be looking at used (from 15 plate onwards) rather than new in all likelihood, but unsure of which is seen as the best option these days on that kind of mileage.

No one seems to be able to define the 'taxation' expected and it seems aimed at engines not Euro 6 compliant. I change cars every 3 years so the will get a chance to bail out if it gets silly.

I do about 10/12k a year but don't have the worry of company car tax meaning I can shop for the best monthly deal rather than looking at the car emissions, purchase cost or maintenance cost.

We worked out that 8k or less per year, Petrol was better value as most manufacturers charge extra for the diesel version, and working out the mpg it meant petrol cars worked out cheaper to run. I would seriously look at PCP or Contract Hire of new cars rather than used, you get full warranty, breakdown cover, often a daft deal. Depends on how choosy you are with you cars and whether its a private or company purchase (which is another ball game all together)

Looked at an audi for my other half a couple of years back, the demonstrator with 6000 miles on it, was going to cost £39 a month more than a new one. It did have a slightly higher spec but nothing we wanted (poncy sound system and sport seats). As it turned out we got an even better deal from BMW so went to them.

Happy to chat it through with you, think you've got my number.

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:26 - Jul 26 with 7175 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:21 - Jul 26 by GeoffSentence

Yes, because t hey produce low co2 compared to petrol. Unfortunately it turns out that they produce lots of other bad stuff, particulates and nitrous oxide which between them are bad for health, have a greenhouse effect and deplete ozone.

So the experts were wrong.

I wonder what else they are wrong about?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:27 - Jul 26 with 7165 viewsStokieBlue

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:26 - Jul 26 by chicoazul

So the experts were wrong.

I wonder what else they are wrong about?

They weren't wrong.

Greenhouse gases and particulates are two different things. They were entirely correct that diesels are better with regards to the gases but bad with regards to air pollution.

SB

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:31 - Jul 26 with 7159 viewshype313

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:14 - Jul 26 by hoppy

Hops if you're looking at cars 15 plate onwards then you must go for petrol as the engines are far more economical than they were a few years back.

Also with Diesels they need a decent run to get the economy, also if you don't do many miles you will face issues with filters clogging up.

I also think the govt are going to start hammering diesel owners very soon.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:31 - Jul 26 with 7152 viewschicoazul

So not long ago we were encouraged to buy diesel cars on 10:27 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

They weren't wrong.

Greenhouse gases and particulates are two different things. They were entirely correct that diesels are better with regards to the gases but bad with regards to air pollution.

SB

They recommended people buy diesel. I myself bought one pretty much on that basis. *Now* they say diesels are bad for the environment. They were wrong.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024