Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asain Food and Slow Cookers 11:09 - Jul 26 with 7154 viewswkj

I am a fan of Asian food, I don't mean just the standard fayre you get from the local takeaway either - I regularly cook Vitnamese Pho, Teryaki Chicken, Ginger Beef all kinds of nice things. The problem with Asian cooking is it's not the most satisfying thing to cook on electric- Gas Hobs are generally the best way to work with a wok.

That said I was given a few decent recipes for a slow cooker and was wandering if any of you fine chaps have Slow Cooker recipes of the Asian variety?

The reason I ask is im trying to get away from Mash and Meat meals in the winter as my heart health isnt the best despite living a very clean and active life (in my early 30s I have to thank genetics) Asian food generally seems to contain a lot of the foods I am encouraged to eat- So if i can build a bunch of recipes for the ol slow cooker, I reckon I aught to be in my elephant
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 11:10]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 20:02 - Jul 26 with 1551 viewsLord_Lucan

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 19:55 - Jul 26 by jeera

Ah, a tandoor - now you're talking.

I've not studied this I admit, but I've often assumed it can't be too hard to build your own.

You know, incorporate a section into a brick built BBQ for example.

Hot coal oven at the bottom, line with clay, treat with copious amounts of mustard oil etc.

How hard can it be?

You can buy domestic ones a lot easier.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 20:10 - Jul 26 with 1546 viewsbournemouthblue

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 20:02 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

You can buy domestic ones a lot easier.

Probably a better call

I do agree, barbequing under the safety of a roof is the future

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 22:04 - Jul 26 with 1529 viewsmos

just got back from Vietnam 4 days ago, and tried various Vietnamese foods, including local street food, Pho beef (you mentioned), Vietnamese styled curries, spice etc.

By far, the street food was the best, run by locals on a small BBQ. It was a thin-ish slab of beef which has been kept in a marinade for an hour or so. The marinade was the key part. It was a marinade consisting of, honey, fish sauce, some chilli (level of spice varies to what you like), soy sauce, garlic. That's the general sort of ingredients for the marinade, although there's plenty of variations to try. And then you just marinade the meat for an hour and slap it on a BBQ, nothing too bad for you there aslong as it's consumed in moderation.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 23:54 - Jul 26 with 1509 viewsAdmiralFunge

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 22:04 - Jul 26 by mos

just got back from Vietnam 4 days ago, and tried various Vietnamese foods, including local street food, Pho beef (you mentioned), Vietnamese styled curries, spice etc.

By far, the street food was the best, run by locals on a small BBQ. It was a thin-ish slab of beef which has been kept in a marinade for an hour or so. The marinade was the key part. It was a marinade consisting of, honey, fish sauce, some chilli (level of spice varies to what you like), soy sauce, garlic. That's the general sort of ingredients for the marinade, although there's plenty of variations to try. And then you just marinade the meat for an hour and slap it on a BBQ, nothing too bad for you there aslong as it's consumed in moderation.

I agree with every single word of the above. Found some BBQ in Hanoi run by a bunch of kids - it was one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 00:26 - Jul 27 with 1503 viewsRyorry

I have a new electric induction cooker which behaves just as fast & flashy as gas if that's any help (I'm guessing it probably isn't because either you don't have a few hundred ££ lying around asking to be spent on a new cooker, or because you live several hours' drive away from me ...)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 08:58 - Jul 27 with 1463 viewsmos

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 23:54 - Jul 26 by AdmiralFunge

I agree with every single word of the above. Found some BBQ in Hanoi run by a bunch of kids - it was one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Yeah! I don't know why it was so good, must be a traditional local food that they've learnt how to marinade etc. Gray stuff. Just a shame some people wouldn't try the food as they were frightened at the levels of hygiene. Despite it being cooked on a fire.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Asain Food and Slow Cookers on 09:09 - Jul 27 with 1458 viewsLesta_Tractor

Guess you could make a good tonkatsu in the slow cooker.

Not asian but the best thing I've made in a slow cooker is this:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/31/roman-style-braised-oxtail-

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024