Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test 12:15 - Jul 26 with 5306 viewsMaySixth

Got tickets for every day

Malan, Westley and Roland-Jones playing

Expecting England to put up a proper fight
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 12:28]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 12:33 - Jul 26 with 5256 viewsMaySixth

Day 1 : overcast, odd shower
Day 2 : dry, sunny
Day 3 : wet morning, dry afternoon
Day 4 : dry, sunny
Day 5 : dry sunny

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 12:35 - Jul 26 with 5251 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

I worry about Roland-Jones, he has lost a couple of yards of pace over the past few years, his batting will be handy but he plays lots of shots like the 3 above him.

Have fun, the Oval test's are usually action packed.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 12:59 - Jul 26 with 5213 viewsMaySixth

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 12:35 - Jul 26 by BullardsMagicMullet

I worry about Roland-Jones, he has lost a couple of yards of pace over the past few years, his batting will be handy but he plays lots of shots like the 3 above him.

Have fun, the Oval test's are usually action packed.

Good observation on Roland-Jones - been a bit out of sorts whenever I have seen him in action for Middlesex in the last two seasons.

Malan and Westley are good choices.

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:00 - Jul 26 with 5213 viewsGogs

Crikey, 3 debuts in one test, from what I've seen/heard they all seem pretty capable though. Hope we play batter than the last time v SA at the oval:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12465/game/534225/England-vs-South-Africa-1st
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:11 - Jul 26 with 5190 viewsMaySixth

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:00 - Jul 26 by Gogs

Crikey, 3 debuts in one test, from what I've seen/heard they all seem pretty capable though. Hope we play batter than the last time v SA at the oval:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12465/game/534225/England-vs-South-Africa-1st

Malan is a dashing lefthander, great on the eye, flirts a lot outside off stump. Can also bowl a bit of part-time leg spin.

Westley is a more solid right hander who deserves his chance after big runs over the last few years. Batted a lot with Cook which will have helped his case.

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:12 - Jul 26 with 5191 viewsSWGF

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 12:59 - Jul 26 by MaySixth

Good observation on Roland-Jones - been a bit out of sorts whenever I have seen him in action for Middlesex in the last two seasons.

Saw Roland-Jones earlier this season against Essex (although in the RL Cup) and he was nothing out of the ordinary. A latter day Tim Munton.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:15 - Jul 26 with 5178 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

His pace has dropped from high 80's to low to mid 80's and relies on seam movement and on a test match road, it could be a long match for him.

Shame we can't find a left-arm seamer like Sidebottom from a few years ago.

Essex biased but Westley is class, I like how Malan plays, seems to have something about him.

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:17 - Jul 26 with 5176 viewsMaySixth

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:12 - Jul 26 by SWGF

Saw Roland-Jones earlier this season against Essex (although in the RL Cup) and he was nothing out of the ordinary. A latter day Tim Munton.

Ha ha Tim Munton - good comparison that - he took 4 Test wickets at 50.00

Will TRJ do better?

Login to get fewer ads

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:29 - Jul 26 with 5142 viewsIpswichKnight

Don't think Malan will play, suspect they will keep faith in Dawson though he has pretty much zero chance of playing in the Ashes. England want to play Mason Crane but his batting average is just about 10! They want to play Woakes at 8 once he's fit Crane will play.

Not convinced like others that TRJ is the answer as the oval has been a road recently, you really want someone with some express pace to hurry batsman up not 4 seamers all RFM so you can get your eye in and not have to worry about any left arm or pace variation.
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:35 - Jul 26 with 5125 viewsSWGF

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:17 - Jul 26 by MaySixth

Ha ha Tim Munton - good comparison that - he took 4 Test wickets at 50.00

Will TRJ do better?

Who knows....but, in all honesty, they could have picked any from a pool of a dozen. Can't see the Aussies losing much sleep over him in the winter!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 13:35]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:49 - Jul 26 with 5087 viewsGogs

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:29 - Jul 26 by IpswichKnight

Don't think Malan will play, suspect they will keep faith in Dawson though he has pretty much zero chance of playing in the Ashes. England want to play Mason Crane but his batting average is just about 10! They want to play Woakes at 8 once he's fit Crane will play.

Not convinced like others that TRJ is the answer as the oval has been a road recently, you really want someone with some express pace to hurry batsman up not 4 seamers all RFM so you can get your eye in and not have to worry about any left arm or pace variation.

I still don't get the obsession with having to have bowlers who can bat in tests. The top 6 should be able to get more than enough between them, 7,8&9 should be capable of a 50 now and again, and then room for a couple of bunnies. If Crane's bowling is deemed good enough he should be in, end of story
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:56 - Jul 26 with 5080 viewsIpswichKnight

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:49 - Jul 26 by Gogs

I still don't get the obsession with having to have bowlers who can bat in tests. The top 6 should be able to get more than enough between them, 7,8&9 should be capable of a 50 now and again, and then room for a couple of bunnies. If Crane's bowling is deemed good enough he should be in, end of story

I agree, your top 6/7 should all be capable of getting a total in excess of 400
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 14:40 - Jul 26 with 5034 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Sounds like Crane is being saved for the West Indies series, with Woakes due back by then and the West Indies weaker batting.

Could of picked Foottit left arm at high 80's might go for a few but it a wicket taker, but with the block of 20/20 nobody outside the test side has played a red ball game for weeks.

I have no confidence in the selectors.

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 18:56 - Jul 26 with 4919 viewsbournemouthblue

I assume he's been doing alright to get the call, he certainly isn't as exciting as either of the Curran brothers. I wonder how far from the test team either of them are?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 20:31 - Jul 26 with 4884 viewsgordon

If Malan or Roland-Jones make it as a successful Test Cricketers I'll buy everyone on the forum a ticket to next year's Oval test.*

Malan is a very odd selection, he's a flashy, hard-hitting batsmen with a habit of giving his wicket away much too cheaply (so exactly the same problem as the rest of the middle order), who has had a solid but unspectacular first-class season so far. Stoneman, Stevie Eskinazi or even Dan Lawrence would've made more sense to me.

Good luck to Tom Westley, though.

*I actually won't.
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 10:10 - Jul 27 with 4819 viewsMaySixth

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 20:31 - Jul 26 by gordon

If Malan or Roland-Jones make it as a successful Test Cricketers I'll buy everyone on the forum a ticket to next year's Oval test.*

Malan is a very odd selection, he's a flashy, hard-hitting batsmen with a habit of giving his wicket away much too cheaply (so exactly the same problem as the rest of the middle order), who has had a solid but unspectacular first-class season so far. Stoneman, Stevie Eskinazi or even Dan Lawrence would've made more sense to me.

Good luck to Tom Westley, though.

*I actually won't.

What is your definition of successful?

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 10:17 - Jul 27 with 4807 viewsbluewein

Scary that just as I was reading this post, the BBC app flashes up with Malan to make his debut...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 10:30 - Jul 27 with 4796 viewsIpswichKnight

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 10:17 - Jul 27 by bluewein

Scary that just as I was reading this post, the BBC app flashes up with Malan to make his debut...

I'm glad they are playing Malan, it was one of the more stupid things to be said that Dawson was the number one spinner when it was plainly obvious he isn't! The balance looks better now, both Root and Westley can chip in with some overs of off spin if England need to get some overs in.
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 11:15 - Jul 27 with 4773 viewsgordon

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 10:10 - Jul 27 by MaySixth

What is your definition of successful?

For these purposes, more than 7 tests for Malan with an average higher than 34, and for Roland-Jones 40 test wickets.
England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 16:41 - Jul 28 with 4699 viewsSWGF

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:12 - Jul 26 by SWGF

Called it

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 18:01 - Jul 28 with 4665 viewsvilanovablue

England v South Africa - The Oval 3rd Test on 13:11 - Jul 26 by MaySixth

Malan is a dashing lefthander, great on the eye, flirts a lot outside off stump. Can also bowl a bit of part-time leg spin.

Westley is a more solid right hander who deserves his chance after big runs over the last few years. Batted a lot with Cook which will have helped his case.

His career average is below 40 which is frankly poor!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024