Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dunkirk 12:28 - Jul 26 with 7616 viewsSuperfrans

Saw it last night. Don't miss it. You'll never see another film like it again.

It should be compulsory viewing for anyone from the several generations since the one which had to face the horrors it brings to life. We should all count our blessings.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Dunkirk on 12:29 - Jul 26 with 7599 viewsKieran_Knows

Went and watched it last night too, very good film indeed. Best I've watched in a while.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Dunkirk on 12:32 - Jul 26 with 7579 viewsBerlinBlue

Agree. It's really well done.
Dunkirk on 12:51 - Jul 26 with 7539 viewsGogs

I saw it yesterday evening too, took my parents (in their 70s, so alive but only children in WWII) who both thought it was very good. Can't really say 'enjoyed' it as it doesn't feel like the right word. It's very atmospheric, and it brings home some of the relentless horror of what it must have been like to have been there. It's a hugely impressive film, and does make you think 'thank f*ck I wasn't there'

My granddad on my dad's side was there in the Royal Navy on one of the destroyers ferrying some of the soldiers back. My dad's recollection of granddad's WWII stories was the Dunkirk was awful but the Baltic Runs were worse as they had all the same naval problems as Dunkirk with the added problems of much colder rougher conditions and sea ice.

My granddad on my mum's side was in the concert party in Burma and we have strong reason to believe that the character of Mr La-de-da Gunner Graham from It ain't half hot mum was based on him, but that's another story
Dunkirk on 12:59 - Jul 26 with 7499 viewsFKA_tomtheblue

Thinly-veiled pro-Brexit propaganda.

Fantastically shot, mind.

7/10.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
Poll: TWTDs best couple?

Dunkirk on 13:00 - Jul 26 with 7496 viewsSuperfrans

Dunkirk on 12:51 - Jul 26 by Gogs

I saw it yesterday evening too, took my parents (in their 70s, so alive but only children in WWII) who both thought it was very good. Can't really say 'enjoyed' it as it doesn't feel like the right word. It's very atmospheric, and it brings home some of the relentless horror of what it must have been like to have been there. It's a hugely impressive film, and does make you think 'thank f*ck I wasn't there'

My granddad on my dad's side was there in the Royal Navy on one of the destroyers ferrying some of the soldiers back. My dad's recollection of granddad's WWII stories was the Dunkirk was awful but the Baltic Runs were worse as they had all the same naval problems as Dunkirk with the added problems of much colder rougher conditions and sea ice.

My granddad on my mum's side was in the concert party in Burma and we have strong reason to believe that the character of Mr La-de-da Gunner Graham from It ain't half hot mum was based on him, but that's another story

My parents have both passed away, but were born in 1931 and 1933, so too young to really play a part in the war - but the film did make me think how different things might have been had they been 5/6 years older and sent into battle.

Certainly, anyone born from the 1930s onwards should thank their lucky stars we've never been drawn into an active conflict like that, the nation essentially fighting for its right to exist. Really scary.

Dunkirk on 13:02 - Jul 26 with 7479 viewsKitman

The one done in the 50's starring John Mills was non to shabby either.. Still to see this new one. Can't wait.

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Dunkirk on 13:06 - Jul 26 with 7453 viewshype313

Factual said it wasn't very factual.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Dunkirk on 13:07 - Jul 26 with 7453 viewsimsureazzure

Dunkirk on 12:59 - Jul 26 by FKA_tomtheblue

7/10.

Care to elaborate? I'm to see the film tomorrow so can not comment.
Login to get fewer ads

Dunkirk on 13:09 - Jul 26 with 7434 viewsSuperfrans

Dunkirk on 13:06 - Jul 26 by hype313

Factual said it wasn't very factual.

There are some factual holes I'm sure you could pick at. But it's a genuinely brilliant piece of cinema - I barely drew breath from the opening sequence to the final 10 minutes.

And proves that an epic movie doesn't have to last several hours.

Dunkirk on 13:21 - Jul 26 with 7371 viewsGeoffSentence

Dunkirk on 13:02 - Jul 26 by Kitman

The one done in the 50's starring John Mills was non to shabby either.. Still to see this new one. Can't wait.

I really liked that one and will watch it again if I can find it anywhere.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dunkirk on 13:23 - Jul 26 with 7359 viewsfactual_blue

Dunkirk on 13:02 - Jul 26 by Kitman

That one was directed by Barry Norman's father.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dunkirk on 13:23 - Jul 26 with 7359 viewschicoazul

Dunkirk on 12:59 - Jul 26 by FKA_tomtheblue

7/10.

hahahaha, its impact on pro-Brexit is one of the first things I thought too (after I stopped crying). It made one want to move to Weymouth and start going to church.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dunkirk on 13:28 - Jul 26 with 7341 viewsGeoffSentence

I watched it last night as well. Very well done, though it takes a bit to get your head round it being the same action from 3 different view points.... "Wait is that the same heinkel or a different one?"

I took my kids with me, both are in their twenties neither were very familiar with operation Dynamo. My World At War DVD Is coming out at the weekend to add to their education.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dunkirk on 13:45 - Jul 26 with 7295 viewsjaykay

havent see the film as yet,but anyone born in 1920 like my late father had most of their young adult life fighting poverty and wars. first as kids ,the depression then world war 2 and maybe korea

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Dunkirk on 13:51 - Jul 26 with 7279 viewshammo56

My dad was at Dunkirk and he only briefly ever spoke about it.
He took my mum and myself there when I was about 10 years of age and that was the only time I ever saw him break down and cry so that told me everything. I can remember him telling me that those people that came across in the small boats were the bravest he had ever met.
Dunkirk on 16:06 - Jul 26 with 7094 viewsfactual_blue

Dunkirk on 13:28 - Jul 26 by GeoffSentence

I watched it last night as well. Very well done, though it takes a bit to get your head round it being the same action from 3 different view points.... "Wait is that the same heinkel or a different one?"

I took my kids with me, both are in their twenties neither were very familiar with operation Dynamo. My World At War DVD Is coming out at the weekend to add to their education.

Operation Ariel is the less well known operation that evacuated another 190,000 men from various French ports along the Atlantic. That was represented another 50% of the total taken from Dunkirk.

My Aunt, who worked in Harrods in 1940 told how disgusted they were with their boss who told them he was off to do 'a spot of sailing' over the weekend. Some days later they found out this spot of sailing had taken him back and forth across The Channel.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dunkirk on 19:06 - Jul 26 with 6968 viewsRIPbobby

The feel of the movie is what makes it. The constant peril of the whole situation is really gripping. It did seem realistic and gripping.

Sometimes tricky to notice when replaying the same scene from particular perspectives, would be a better film a second time around.

Interesting part for me is when the spitfire is ditched into the sea and it appears that the pilot waves up to his mate as if to say "I'm OK", when really he is doing something completely different.
Dunkirk on 19:13 - Jul 26 with 6945 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I'm going to check it out next week.
Dunkirk on 06:52 - Jul 28 with 6704 viewsimsureazzure

Brilliant and harrowing,

The only Americanism In the film was that the Spitfire had limitless ammunition.
Dunkirk on 09:08 - Jul 28 with 6605 viewsbluelou

Dunkirk on 06:52 - Jul 28 by imsureazzure

Brilliant and harrowing,

The only Americanism In the film was that the Spitfire had limitless ammunition.

Did you count the bullets?
how many could they carry in normal conditions?

Like another poster said, I didn't really enjoy it in the normal sense. It was 100 minutes of pure tension, with very little dialog or character development other than what was necessary for the story. Refreshingly short too!

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Dunkirk on 15:41 - Jul 28 with 6525 viewsimsureazzure

Dunkirk on 09:08 - Jul 28 by bluelou

Did you count the bullets?
how many could they carry in normal conditions?

Like another poster said, I didn't really enjoy it in the normal sense. It was 100 minutes of pure tension, with very little dialog or character development other than what was necessary for the story. Refreshingly short too!

Enough ammunition for 16 seconds continuous firing.
Dunkirk on 21:54 - Jul 28 with 6393 viewsgtsb1966

Dunkirk on 06:52 - Jul 28 by imsureazzure

Brilliant and harrowing,

Spot on. Just got in after watching it. Brilliant film.
Dunkirk on 01:15 - Jul 29 with 6271 viewsbournemouthblue

Dunkirk on 12:51 - Jul 26 by Gogs

I'm told one of our family boats was one of the 'little ships' and truly was quite little apparently :p

Whether a boat like it made the film is another matter but I had no idea this was the case until my mum said the other night

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Dunkirk on 05:58 - Jul 31 with 6080 viewsbrogansnose

Went to see it with the boy yesterday and , just to add to what others have said, that its excellent, compulsive viewing. I can't remember a film when I've been in suspense and gripped for so long. Worth adding that the soundtrack is incredible and keeps the tension up, so, unless you've got a good sound system at home, go see it at the flics.
Dunkirk on 08:52 - Jul 31 with 6019 viewsLord_Lucan

Dunkirk on 19:06 - Jul 26 by RIPbobby

The feel of the movie is what makes it. The constant peril of the whole situation is really gripping. It did seem realistic and gripping.

Sometimes tricky to notice when replaying the same scene from particular perspectives, would be a better film a second time around.

Interesting part for me is when the spitfire is ditched into the sea and it appears that the pilot waves up to his mate as if to say "I'm OK", when really he is doing something completely different.

I must be a bit thick as I didn't notice any scenes shot from different perspectives , I'll have to watch it again. Aside from the Spitfire waving scene what were the other more obvious ones?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024