Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Garner 13:25 - Jul 26 with 7734 viewsIpswich_Crazy

A surprise package?

Discuss

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

Joe Garner on 13:26 - Jul 26 with 7726 viewshype313

Let's see him against some decent opposition before we all get giddy.

But, so far so good.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Joe Garner on 13:39 - Jul 26 with 7650 viewssuffolkpoker

he is looking like the murthy replacement more and more, that every one is gurning for.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Joe Garner on 13:50 - Jul 26 with 7587 viewsWD19

Joe Garner on 13:39 - Jul 26 by suffolkpoker

he is looking like the murthy replacement more and more, that every one is gurning for.

Joe Garner on 14:55 - Jul 26 with 7394 viewshowdonblue

Joe Garner on 13:39 - Jul 26 by suffolkpoker

He is not a Murphy type player though !

He is 5ft 9 for starters and no way a target man !
Joe Garner on 15:01 - Jul 26 with 7364 viewsKieran_Knows

Joe Garner on 14:55 - Jul 26 by howdonblue

But it's not just that though is it? Garner will do all the dirty work (and more IMO), like Murphy used too. Run the channels, hassle defenders, occupy defenders etc. I think some people just think all we ever did was knock the ball to Murphs head, which just isn't what happened. All those other traits that Murph had, Garner will give us that. Just because he isn't 6ft 3 tall, nor is he built like Murph, doesn't mean he can't play a similar role.

He'll be the closest replacement to Murph since he's left.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Joe Garner on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 7299 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Joe Garner on 15:01 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

But it's not just that though is it? Garner will do all the dirty work (and more IMO), like Murphy used too. Run the channels, hassle defenders, occupy defenders etc. I think some people just think all we ever did was knock the ball to Murphs head, which just isn't what happened. All those other traits that Murph had, Garner will give us that. Just because he isn't 6ft 3 tall, nor is he built like Murph, doesn't mean he can't play a similar role.

We tried to play the ball into Murphy feet or body the majority of the time, as for a big lad he had a very good touch and close control and would then bring others into play... Or turn and get a shot in on goal.

Clearly with our defenders Murphy had to be try to control the ball at head height or win flick ons a few times, but our tactic was never solely to 'aim for Murphy's head'
Joe Garner on 15:11 - Jul 26 with 7284 viewsTIB

5'10 and considered a target man by most clubs he's been at.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Joe Garner on 15:26 - Jul 26 with 7219 viewshowdonblue

Joe Garner on 15:01 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Fair point he will do a lot of the dirty work!

But another big man up there with him will be better
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Garner on 15:36 - Jul 26 with 7190 viewsSWGF

Joe Garner on 15:11 - Jul 26 by King_of_Portman_Rd

We tried to play the ball into Murphy feet or body the majority of the time, as for a big lad he had a very good touch and close control and would then bring others into play... Or turn and get a shot in on goal.

Clearly with our defenders Murphy had to be try to control the ball at head height or win flick ons a few times, but our tactic was never solely to 'aim for Murphy's head'

What Murphy was an absolute master at was judging the flight of the ball, getting into position and standing/holding his ground. Defenders could then either let him control it/flick it on or foul him. From what I've seen of Garner, he's not built for that but is nimble and puts himself about. He'll win the occasional header but won't give defenders a moment's peace. I wonder if we do still need a tall striker, despite Garner's apparent ability in the air.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Joe Garner on 15:37 - Jul 26 with 7188 viewsTownly

A decent lower league stalwart who seems capable of responding to MM's ability to get the best from such players. Glad we got him and gladder after preseason.

Ditto, Tom Adeyemi, although a pity about his preseason (cough, cough.)

(Huws has a bit more class and promise and therefore represents the best business of the summer.)

I'd be less concerned about Garner's supposed lack of goals and suspect yellowcarditis if the next week's transfer activities were to bring in a player we could genuinely look upon as a number one STRIKER.

We are aware of the various frailties of the other frontmen so surely it's for the best to have a number one in that position free of any question mark of any sort.

At the moment I do not think we have enough goals in our frontmen to seriously challenge the league. The midfield has more than recent seasons but strikers win prizes.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 15:46]
Joe Garner on 15:45 - Jul 26 with 7133 viewsArcher4721

But he gets up higher than Murphy ever could.
An alternative point of view is that.... on 15:59 - Jul 26 with 7060 viewsBloots

Joe Garner on 15:26 - Jul 26 by howdonblue

Fair point he will do a lot of the dirty work!

But another big man up there with him will be better

....another "big man up there with him" would just lead to us pumping balls long. Something that none of us want to see.

Garner and McGoldrick could be a decent combination.

I think any alternative forward we get in would be just that, an alternative.

At worst he would be there to cover for McGoldrick's inevitable injuries.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Joe Garner on 16:09 - Jul 26 with 6998 viewsNorthern_Blue81

So far, so good. Fingers crossed he will get a tally of 15+ goals this season and become an icon.
Joe Garner on 16:52 - Jul 26 with 6856 viewsrickw

Lets hope so, but we already knew he had a great goal record at league 1, just poor in the Championship and so far he's scored against Southend, Peterborough and Colchester who are all at what level????

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Joe Garner on 17:12 - Jul 26 with 6782 viewsdirtyboy

Joe Garner on 16:52 - Jul 26 by rickw

Lets hope so, but we already knew he had a great goal record at league 1, just poor in the Championship and so far he's scored against Southend, Peterborough and Colchester who are all at what level????

To be honest, if he scores against the weaker teams, we've often not managed to do that, so if we can win those apparent easy ones and be 'tough to beat' in the difficult ones, we'll have half a chance.
Joe Garner on 17:16 - Jul 26 with 6769 viewschicoazul

Joe Garner on 15:36 - Jul 26 by SWGF

What Murphy was an absolute master at was judging the flight of the ball, getting into position and standing/holding his ground. Defenders could then either let him control it/flick it on or foul him. From what I've seen of Garner, he's not built for that but is nimble and puts himself about. He'll win the occasional header but won't give defenders a moment's peace. I wonder if we do still need a tall striker, despite Garner's apparent ability in the air.

I dont think I ever saw Murphy jump for a header so even if Garner is a lot shorter he is probably as good in the air. You're dead right about how Murphy used his body. Very much like our dear friend Pablo would.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Joe Garner on 18:06 - Jul 26 with 6650 viewsbournemouthblue

Let's hope so!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Joe Garner on 21:44 - Jul 26 with 6410 viewsbraveblue

When he is up there on his own being watched by our back 7 he will struggle.
Joe Garner on 21:48 - Jul 26 with 6387 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Think hes going to prove to be a brilliant signing. Just feels a perfect fit!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Joe Garner on 21:51 - Jul 26 with 6370 viewsshamboy

Joe Garner on 16:09 - Jul 26 by Northern_Blue81

So far, so good. Fingers crossed he will get a tally of 15+ goals this season and become an icon.

He will, and probably 15 bookings as well. He loves mixing it with central defenders, particularly in the air. He's real throw-back. a real McCarthy player.
Joe Garner on 22:13 - Jul 26 with 6318 viewsJimmy86

Hopefully he can carry his decent pre season form into the real season proper. Bearing in mind he's not quite 6 ft, he's bloody good in the air.

Think Garner is 1 player you'd prefer playing for you, instead of against you. He's a little pest and has a dirty, nasty streak. Remember him catching berra with an elbow and then having a go at the ref. Couldn't believe it.

I'll have 10 quid now that he gets 10 yellows and at least 1 red this season
Joe Garner on 06:56 - Jul 27 with 6119 viewsJ2BLUE

You don't normally see these posts in July!

I doubt anyone is surprised he has scored lots of goals against weak opposition in friendlies. I think he's a good signing and he'll have a good season but it's way too early to be giving out plaudits.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Joe Garner on 07:38 - Jul 27 with 6062 viewsBenters

Can i answer in January 2018?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024