Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Business vision and entrepreneurship, does anyone listen to NPR Podcasts? 16:21 - Jul 26 with 299 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Check out "how they built this?"

It's brilliant, highly recommended. I gave the guy that invented LYFT a listen last night. Superb stuff. Started from car pulling at college campuses back to big cities during the holidays (before smartphones were commonplace) and involved from there. Uber X is basically a complete copy of their idea.

I actually thought they were a copy of Uber because they came later but quite the opposite. Uber was the high end personal driver limo idea and they nicked the LYFT mentality. The average family in the states spends $9000 on a car per year (equates to two trillion annually) and for 96% of the time it sits still parked on a driveway or on the street. So it was actually the guys vision of how big cities infrastructure that was built in the 1970s is struggling to cope with rising populations that also gave him the idea to heavily pursue it. He was trying to implement changes of behavior and making the best of of underused resources. Now he's a billionaire but you got to respect someone like that more than someone just born into money.

It's crazy now to think how commonplace they are, with an average wait time of 2 minutes in major markets. Can't remember the the last time I got a cab.

They also have an episode on Branson, AirBnB, 1-800-JUNK and plenty others. The one theme that seems to be commonplace is money wasn't the main driver in the beginning.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 16:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024