Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does UBER run in Ipswich? 16:42 - Jul 26 with 24358 viewsHeathlander

And what is so good about it?
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:25 - Jul 26 with 4778 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:23 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

But Amazon are smashing the high street retailer in the same way that UBER are smashing the black cabs. It's same same.

It's not. You asked if I use Amazon and I said I did, for ebooks, but still buy tree books. I reckon I've bought about 10 hardbacks and 5 paperbacks this year.

Edit: more than the above if you include gifts and all from independent bookshops, Foyles, Waterstones.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 19:26]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:41 - Jul 26 with 4756 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:25 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

It's not. You asked if I use Amazon and I said I did, for ebooks, but still buy tree books. I reckon I've bought about 10 hardbacks and 5 paperbacks this year.

Edit: more than the above if you include gifts and all from independent bookshops, Foyles, Waterstones.

So you don't use Amazon for ordinary gifts and shopping? What about other web only based retailers?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:43 - Jul 26 with 4748 viewsMark

I would prefer to use a local company so that the money stays in Ipswich, or at least the UK, rather than being sliced away by another giant American corporation paying hardly any UK tax.

In Ipswich I use Hawk Express (222222) who I think have the most cars and who are fairly cheap, 289 (289289) who are even cheaper, or when I need reliability Avenue (888888) who cost quite a bit more. I believe some may have apps, but I always call.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:44 - Jul 26 with 4745 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:41 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

So you don't use Amazon for ordinary gifts and shopping? What about other web only based retailers?

Not on the whole, no. I use the Internet for lots of things.

But why are you so interested in what I do? We all make choices. I choose not to use Uber and would rather others didn't and have given reasons. This isn't an assault on your choices.

But, why not play the ball not the man, if you want to make the case for Uber.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:46 - Jul 26 with 4741 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:25 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

The point is, you say it's bad just like Amazon - yet you use Amazon. Also buying real books from elsewhere is nether here nor there. I imagine most of us use forms of transport other than Uber sometimes.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:50 - Jul 26 with 4730 viewsmutters

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:19 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

There's lots of media coverage on how Uber drivers struggle to make a living.

Th choice of Uber is entirely price driven imho. Problem is, the prices will rise again when the competition is destroyed - and we'll be left with an expensive, unregulated, unreliable system lining the pockets of a largely immoral corporation.

It's disruptive technology, things will formalise as it and the 'new' industry matures

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:53 - Jul 26 with 4725 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:19 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

There's lots of media coverage on how Uber drivers struggle to make a living.

Th choice of Uber is entirely price driven imho. Problem is, the prices will rise again when the competition is destroyed - and we'll be left with an expensive, unregulated, unreliable system lining the pockets of a largely immoral corporation.

I know the pay's rubbish, one of them chatted to me about it. I'm just intrigued as to why they took the job in that case. Like I said, it's a fairly new company.

I don't believe the competition will be destroyed - it might have to become a bit leaner though. That's capitalism for you! Plenty still use regular cabs - businesses especially still have accounts with regular cab firms as it looks more professional.

I don't know where your "unregulated" and "unreliable" comes from. Neither of these are true now, so I don't see why they will suddenly become thus.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:54 - Jul 26 with 4725 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:46 - Jul 26 by Dolly2.0

The point is, you say it's bad just like Amazon - yet you use Amazon. Also buying real books from elsewhere is nether here nor there. I imagine most of us use forms of transport other than Uber sometimes.

Okay, fair point. Although Uber have done more damage and quicker to a significant part of London culture, imho. And, as I say, I use Amazon for a service which is provided by no better company - again imho.

Of course, I could decide not to buy ebooks because I don't like Amazon - but that would be akin to saying I won't use taxis because I don't like the pollution. There are alternative taxi options.

Login to get fewer ads

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:00 - Jul 26 with 4717 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:44 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

Not on the whole, no. I use the Internet for lots of things.

But why are you so interested in what I do? We all make choices. I choose not to use Uber and would rather others didn't and have given reasons. This isn't an assault on your choices.

But, why not play the ball not the man, if you want to make the case for Uber.

I'm discussing direct with you because you said they were putting minicabs and black cabs out of business. Naturally I asked my questions as I believe there are similar circumstances with other goods. If you don't use such services then you can hold your head up high.

I can't stand Amazon but I use them because they are unrivalled for value and service********.

I'm not overly bothered about the fete of black cabs or mini cabs as I believe they have been ripping us off for too long. Also, try getting a black cab at gone midnight, it's nigh on impossible. I don't like Amazon because they are killing my high st customers - although I now sell bundles of stuff to Amazon retailers. I admit to using Amazon though because it's cheap and easy.

***** I often wonder if people realise that most of Amazon goods are bought from bods in their spare bedroom (seller fulfilled). They are selling their wares on amazons site where upon Amazon take a hefty commission for doing nothing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:01 - Jul 26 with 4716 viewseireblue

https://uk.mytaxi.com/hailo
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:03 - Jul 26 with 4711 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:53 - Jul 26 by Dolly2.0

I know the pay's rubbish, one of them chatted to me about it. I'm just intrigued as to why they took the job in that case. Like I said, it's a fairly new company.

I don't believe the competition will be destroyed - it might have to become a bit leaner though. That's capitalism for you! Plenty still use regular cabs - businesses especially still have accounts with regular cab firms as it looks more professional.

I don't know where your "unregulated" and "unreliable" comes from. Neither of these are true now, so I don't see why they will suddenly become thus.

Oh totally, that's capitalism for you. And as we've seen in recent months, chasing profit is not necessarily the best and only way to run a service. Sometimes e have to put safety and service first.

Uber are definitely having an impact in London. There are far fewer independent, local minicab offices for a start and, as I say, many black cabbies are throwing in the towel - they'll be pretty much gone in my lifetime.

Sorry, I know this might seem rude, but I can't debate this all night as I have a busy evening. But here's some more reading which might explain why I dislike them so much,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-at

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/17/uber-drivers-homeless-assault-tr

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/28/uber-lawlessness-sharing-econ

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/18/uber-travis-kalanick-scandal-

http://fortune.com/2017/06/21/uber-controversy-timeline-travis-kalanick/
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 20:05]

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:08 - Jul 26 with 4701 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:54 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

Okay, fair point. Although Uber have done more damage and quicker to a significant part of London culture, imho. And, as I say, I use Amazon for a service which is provided by no better company - again imho.

Of course, I could decide not to buy ebooks because I don't like Amazon - but that would be akin to saying I won't use taxis because I don't like the pollution. There are alternative taxi options.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't see ANY damage done to London culture, let alone a significant part. Can you provide any evidence?

You use amazon because you reckon there's no better company for eBooks... people use Uber because they reckon it's better than regular cabs.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:09 - Jul 26 with 4699 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:00 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

I'm discussing direct with you because you said they were putting minicabs and black cabs out of business. Naturally I asked my questions as I believe there are similar circumstances with other goods. If you don't use such services then you can hold your head up high.

I can't stand Amazon but I use them because they are unrivalled for value and service********.

I'm not overly bothered about the fete of black cabs or mini cabs as I believe they have been ripping us off for too long. Also, try getting a black cab at gone midnight, it's nigh on impossible. I don't like Amazon because they are killing my high st customers - although I now sell bundles of stuff to Amazon retailers. I admit to using Amazon though because it's cheap and easy.

***** I often wonder if people realise that most of Amazon goods are bought from bods in their spare bedroom (seller fulfilled). They are selling their wares on amazons site where upon Amazon take a hefty commission for doing nothing.

London is about the only city that has a case to moan about Uber because the cabbies are good, have knowledge tests etc but they've been ripping people of for decades.

Is lyft in the UK by the way?
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:10 - Jul 26 with 4695 viewstcblue

It feels quite alien and terrible to stand up for Amazon but they're not doing 'nothing', they are hosting and marketing (indirectly, but it's still their platform) as well as handling payment and refund enquiries.

All of those come with their own problems and the resellers aren't offered a choice for using their Marketplace, but it really isn't much different IMO than paying for a stall at a market.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:12 - Jul 26 with 4690 viewsSuperfrans

I just think the "but Amazon are also awful" line of argument is a bit pointless.

I use Amazon for certain services, most specifically a service which they have innovated and nobody does particularly well. I'd love it if there was a Kindle service if the same standard run by a book loving company, but there isn't. They're not a pleasant company either, like many of the conglomerates which are taking over - alongside, Google, Facebook, Apple etc.

I'll be honest, I dislike Uber with a passion because of their appalling personal politics, their treatment of their staff, the fact that they are a cut price service which will ultimately make getting a cab less safe over the coming years (something I'm particularly concerned about, with two teenage daughters). I also have friends who work as cabbies, who have gone through years of training, who are losing their livelihoods as a result.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:16 - Jul 26 with 4681 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:10 - Jul 26 by tcblue

It feels quite alien and terrible to stand up for Amazon but they're not doing 'nothing', they are hosting and marketing (indirectly, but it's still their platform) as well as handling payment and refund enquiries.

All of those come with their own problems and the resellers aren't offered a choice for using their Marketplace, but it really isn't much different IMO than paying for a stall at a market.

I fully agree with what you say - although I think the government needs to look at high street business rates - actually to be fair they have as anyone under £12k rates get 100% discount now.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:20 - Jul 26 with 4670 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:03 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

Oh totally, that's capitalism for you. And as we've seen in recent months, chasing profit is not necessarily the best and only way to run a service. Sometimes e have to put safety and service first.

Uber are definitely having an impact in London. There are far fewer independent, local minicab offices for a start and, as I say, many black cabbies are throwing in the towel - they'll be pretty much gone in my lifetime.

Sorry, I know this might seem rude, but I can't debate this all night as I have a busy evening. But here's some more reading which might explain why I dislike them so much,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-at

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/17/uber-drivers-homeless-assault-tr

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/28/uber-lawlessness-sharing-econ

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/18/uber-travis-kalanick-scandal-

Some people are nasty barstewards. Whether they're driving an Uber cab is neither here nor there - they all get the same checks as other cab drivers, teachers etc. I'm not really sure how Uber are to blame.

Also, as horrible as sexual assault is, and one is too many, this is 32 in a year - from a service which completes 1 million trips A WEEK.

No worries if you're busy, enjoy your night.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:26 - Jul 26 with 4661 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:12 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

I just think the "but Amazon are also awful" line of argument is a bit pointless.

I use Amazon for certain services, most specifically a service which they have innovated and nobody does particularly well. I'd love it if there was a Kindle service if the same standard run by a book loving company, but there isn't. They're not a pleasant company either, like many of the conglomerates which are taking over - alongside, Google, Facebook, Apple etc.

I'll be honest, I dislike Uber with a passion because of their appalling personal politics, their treatment of their staff, the fact that they are a cut price service which will ultimately make getting a cab less safe over the coming years (something I'm particularly concerned about, with two teenage daughters). I also have friends who work as cabbies, who have gone through years of training, who are losing their livelihoods as a result.

Why would a cheaper service "ultimately make getting a cab less safe"? I don't see the logic here.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:34 - Jul 26 with 4653 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:12 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

Many people lost their jobs despite years of training because they were superseded by pooters. History is littered with these instances and personally I haven't got much time for cabbies in this instance as they have been screwing us for years.

As for Uber treating their drivers badly. I'm pretty confident they don't hold a candle to Amazon.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 22:09 - Jul 26 with 4622 viewsPendejo

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:45 - Jul 26 by Dolly2.0

If Uber drivers barely make enough to make a living, why do they do that job? Uber hasn't been around that long, what were they doing before and why did they switch?

I have sympathy to a certain extent - but regular cabs only have themselves to blame for charging exorbitant prices in the first place. I stopped using them in Chelmsford many years ago when a 7 minute ride to my parents' from the station reached £10.

Uber's contract with their drivers effectively traps them.

Uber is racking up debts as it under cuts the market in order to push out the "old order" once they've done so prices will rise. They are underwritten by amongst others Goldman Sachs who have very deep pockets.

Allegedly Uber also crosses licensed boundaries working in areas for which they are not licensed... so don't be surprised if you could book one for an Ipswich to Ipswich journey.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 08:48 - Jul 27 with 4548 viewsbluelou

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:03 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

The london taxi PR firm are definitely earning their money with those articles!

You're very passionate about this and that's great. I'm not going to say you're wrong but there are a number of points I would like to counter with.

Firstly, black cabs won't be gone, there will always be a place for them. There will be less, for sure, but that's market forces for you. Nobody has a god given right to a living.
The reasons why there existed a place for uber are many but for me the main issues with black cabs were as follows:
- availability; it was too difficult to get a cab at peak times, and many times if you did see one they would refuse a fare (illegal) if it wasn't going somewhere they wanted. Uber drivers cannot do so. This has been raised as a positive impact for people of colour in the US, who often had issues getting cabs. I couldn't possibly say if it was the case here.
- cost; cabs are VERY expensive in comparison to public transport and therefore we're always more for tourists or mor wealthy people. Uber is cheap enough to compete with TfL.
- the drivers themselves; moving away from the racist stereotype of the London cabbie, my main issue is that NONE OF THEM LIVE IN LONDON. So the £100k + they earn a year is also not being spent here.

Also who cares about the loss of minicab offices? The drivers are just moving to uber. They may earn slightly less per job but they will get much, much more work as they can pick up fares anywhere not just in the area of the office. A minicab driver taking a fare to heathrow is going to be travelling back alone yet with uber they can pick a fare back up and bring them to London.

Finally, from a safety perspective we shouldn't be focusing on the few scare stories we should be happy that uber has basically smashed the illegal cab market in after hours london. 10 years ago you couldn't get balck cabs for love nor money at night and when leaving clubs or bars the only answer were unlicensed cabs which was very dangerous.

Uber isn't perfect, and if they did jack up the prices it would be very easy for a competitor to fill the gap. Their own structure would work against them in this instance because all of their drivers would be free to work for competitors. But there is absolutely no doubt that the market was ready for them.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:08 - Jul 27 with 4519 viewsSaleAway

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 08:48 - Jul 27 by bluelou

You're very passionate about this and that's great. I'm not going to say you're wrong but there are a number of points I would like to counter with.

Firstly, black cabs won't be gone, there will always be a place for them. There will be less, for sure, but that's market forces for you. Nobody has a god given right to a living.
The reasons why there existed a place for uber are many but for me the main issues with black cabs were as follows:
- availability; it was too difficult to get a cab at peak times, and many times if you did see one they would refuse a fare (illegal) if it wasn't going somewhere they wanted. Uber drivers cannot do so. This has been raised as a positive impact for people of colour in the US, who often had issues getting cabs. I couldn't possibly say if it was the case here.
- cost; cabs are VERY expensive in comparison to public transport and therefore we're always more for tourists or mor wealthy people. Uber is cheap enough to compete with TfL.
- the drivers themselves; moving away from the racist stereotype of the London cabbie, my main issue is that NONE OF THEM LIVE IN LONDON. So the £100k + they earn a year is also not being spent here.

Also who cares about the loss of minicab offices? The drivers are just moving to uber. They may earn slightly less per job but they will get much, much more work as they can pick up fares anywhere not just in the area of the office. A minicab driver taking a fare to heathrow is going to be travelling back alone yet with uber they can pick a fare back up and bring them to London.

Finally, from a safety perspective we shouldn't be focusing on the few scare stories we should be happy that uber has basically smashed the illegal cab market in after hours london. 10 years ago you couldn't get balck cabs for love nor money at night and when leaving clubs or bars the only answer were unlicensed cabs which was very dangerous.

Uber isn't perfect, and if they did jack up the prices it would be very easy for a competitor to fill the gap. Their own structure would work against them in this instance because all of their drivers would be free to work for competitors. But there is absolutely no doubt that the market was ready for them.

Interesting thoughts... Uber has been in Manchester for a couple of years, I use it occasionally for a night out getting home, but still use traditional cab firms if I want to book an airport run.

What it has done, as previously mentioned, is killed the unlicensed late night cabbie. When I was in London, this was the only way home and it was, quite frankly terrifying. Haggling over a cost similar to your entire night out to be driven home in a twenty year old nissan sunny with broken springs.

What is has also done is made the local minicab companies up their game. All are now bringing out apps that you can hail and track your taxi with. And fares are coming down.

In terms of risk - I'd say I feel safer in an UBer, where if anything happens, its dead easy to track and prosecute the driver, than being picked up by an unidentified taxi driver either in a black cab or a minicab.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:22 - Jul 27 with 4507 viewsGeoffSentence

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:34 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

Many people lost their jobs despite years of training because they were superseded by pooters. History is littered with these instances and personally I haven't got much time for cabbies in this instance as they have been screwing us for years.

As for Uber treating their drivers badly. I'm pretty confident they don't hold a candle to Amazon.

As a matter of interest now do feel that cabbies have been screwing us? Surely they just charge whatever the market will bear, like any other business. It would only be fair to say that they were screwing us if they were rigging the market somehow and stifling competitio n. Do you think they have been doing that?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:22 - Jul 27 with 4506 viewsIpswichKnight

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 08:48 - Jul 27 by bluelou

Your missing another important point in payments, it's only recently and after the introduction of Uber that Black cabs introduced contactless payments before that you could only use cash for a cab. I still don't think black cabs are all equipped to take card payments. We are moving rapidly towards a cashless society, the UK now makes just over 60% of all transactions via a mobile device ( highest in the world next is US on 44% ) if black cabs do not want to get involved in that they will die off.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:45 - Jul 27 with 4493 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

I was thinking about using Uber when I visit Los Angeles later in the year as I have heard that is one of the best ways of getting round the city.

Has anyone used Uber there by any chance? I have not really had any dealings with Uber before so am a little bit wary.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024