Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does UBER run in Ipswich? 16:42 - Jul 26 with 24383 viewsHeathlander

And what is so good about it?
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:56 - Jul 27 with 2700 viewshype313

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 20:03 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

Oh totally, that's capitalism for you. And as we've seen in recent months, chasing profit is not necessarily the best and only way to run a service. Sometimes e have to put safety and service first.

Uber are definitely having an impact in London. There are far fewer independent, local minicab offices for a start and, as I say, many black cabbies are throwing in the towel - they'll be pretty much gone in my lifetime.

Sorry, I know this might seem rude, but I can't debate this all night as I have a busy evening. But here's some more reading which might explain why I dislike them so much,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/uber-drivers-accused-of-32-rapes-and-sex-at

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/17/uber-drivers-homeless-assault-tr

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/28/uber-lawlessness-sharing-econ

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/18/uber-travis-kalanick-scandal-

http://fortune.com/2017/06/21/uber-controversy-timeline-travis-kalanick/
[Post edited 26 Jul 2017 20:05]

UBER will be gone in your lifetime too, Driverless cars are coming so all forms of Taxi's as we know it will be null and void.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 11:02 - Jul 27 with 2692 viewsDolly2.0

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:22 - Jul 27 by IpswichKnight

Your missing another important point in payments, it's only recently and after the introduction of Uber that Black cabs introduced contactless payments before that you could only use cash for a cab. I still don't think black cabs are all equipped to take card payments. We are moving rapidly towards a cashless society, the UK now makes just over 60% of all transactions via a mobile device ( highest in the world next is US on 44% ) if black cabs do not want to get involved in that they will die off.

You're correct, many black cabs don't take cards. I had one where he supposedly took them but his reader wasn't working properly - took 20 minutes for the transaction to get through... time I wasted having to wait.

Uber all the way for me now.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 11:29 - Jul 27 with 2676 viewstcblue

I live sarf of the river, what are these 'black cabs' you speak of
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 12:47 - Jul 27 with 2666 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:22 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

As a matter of interest now do feel that cabbies have been screwing us? Surely they just charge whatever the market will bear, like any other business. It would only be fair to say that they were screwing us if they were rigging the market somehow and stifling competitio n. Do you think they have been doing that?

They've been screwing us by mental prices and working only when they want, if they hadn't then UBER wouldn't have found it quite so easy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 13:57 - Jul 27 with 2634 viewseireblue

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:45 - Jul 27 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

I was thinking about using Uber when I visit Los Angeles later in the year as I have heard that is one of the best ways of getting round the city.

Has anyone used Uber there by any chance? I have not really had any dealings with Uber before so am a little bit wary.

Yes it is fine.

Also try Lyft, nicer company.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 14:00 - Jul 27 with 2631 viewseireblue

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 11:02 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

You're correct, many black cabs don't take cards. I had one where he supposedly took them but his reader wasn't working properly - took 20 minutes for the transaction to get through... time I wasted having to wait.

You can use the mytaxi app to get London Black cabs.

So London Black Cab drivers can modernise if they wish.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 14:08 - Jul 27 with 2622 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 14:00 - Jul 27 by eireblue

They don't like cards because they like cash - which they don't declare. I know a black cabbie who is forever burning diesel receipts. He is a bit of an odd bod, he absolutely hates driving and rarely goes to work these days. He could earn big money if he could be bothered but he can't. I employed him for a bit last year doing odd jobs and he was happy just earning £10 an hour.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:30 - Jul 27 with 2582 viewsbluelou

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 10:45 - Jul 27 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

I was thinking about using Uber when I visit Los Angeles later in the year as I have heard that is one of the best ways of getting round the city.

Has anyone used Uber there by any chance? I have not really had any dealings with Uber before so am a little bit wary.

Uber absolutely comes into it's own when overseas; you wont get ripped off, you dont need cash and you will always be able to get a cab!

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 01:48 - Jul 28 with 2544 viewsAbujaBlue

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:30 - Jul 27 by bluelou

Uber absolutely comes into it's own when overseas; you wont get ripped off, you dont need cash and you will always be able to get a cab!

This is very true. I've never tried Uber in the UK but when I lived in Nairobi I probably used them over 100 times. Having them was an absolute lifesaver as they are generally considered safer than your normal cab there, not to mention more reliable as the cars were 95% Toyotas under three years old. When there were problems Uber always resolved them in a quick and fair manner.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 09:12 - Jul 28 with 2508 viewsbluelou

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 11:02 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

I think they all Do as of recently, contactless too. It's a little too late for a lot of people.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 09:15 - Jul 28 with 2503 viewsbluelou

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 14:00 - Jul 27 by eireblue

Which was an app called Hailo, previously. It launched in the U.K. before Uber and was not universally adopted by cabbies as the time as they got slightly less money and less freedom to say no to jobs they didn't fancy doing. They have had opportunities to modernise but didn't want to upset the gravy train

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024