Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does UBER run in Ipswich? 16:42 - Jul 26 with 24268 viewsHeathlander

And what is so good about it?
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:46 - Jul 26 with 16803 viewsLord_Lucan

I was told last night that it now does but I don't know how many drivers they have.

In London it's a god send as you simply press your request Uber button and the a brown persons face pops up and announces that he will pick you up in a couple of minutes - obviously your phone advises them of your collection co-ordinates - and it's bloody cheap.

I had to get a taxi from Liv St to Euston whilst a tube strike was on and it was chaos, it took us about an hour and cost me £6.50 I think. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Hooever - outside of London I've had problems with late and no shows.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:47 - Jul 26 with 16793 viewsfactual_blue

I think we've already established there isn't too much that's good about Ipswich these days. And not just the football club.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:52 - Jul 26 with 16754 viewsBlueinBrum

I have heard it is now running in Ipswich.

I use it all the time in London, and often when i visit other cities both in the UK and abroad.

Advantages:
- Pricing is superb; a fraction of the price of black cabs. Problem is it's too tempting to use them all the time rather than public transport!
- (In London at least) they are everywhere, meaning you rarely have to wait more than a couple of minutes after ordering
- Never have to worry about having cash or even your credit card with you as payment done directly online
- App has function that someone you can allow someone else to track the movement of the cab to ensure it's taking you home safely
- Customer service very good, if you have a valid they usually refund straight away

Cons
- Some moral issues about how Uber treat their workers
- Ubers cannot use bus lanes (like black cabs can) so can get stuck in traffic
- at popular times the price increases (surges) and at particularly busy times e.g. New Years Eve or when there's a tube strike the price gets ridiculous - this is very rare though
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:58 - Jul 26 with 16720 viewsDolly2.0

As others have said - the price, the convenience, no need for cash or credit card and the fact you can track it live on a little map on your phone.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:58 - Jul 26 with 16719 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 16:52 - Jul 26 by BlueinBrum

I have heard it is now running in Ipswich.

I use it all the time in London, and often when i visit other cities both in the UK and abroad.

Advantages:
- Pricing is superb; a fraction of the price of black cabs. Problem is it's too tempting to use them all the time rather than public transport!
- (In London at least) they are everywhere, meaning you rarely have to wait more than a couple of minutes after ordering
- Never have to worry about having cash or even your credit card with you as payment done directly online
- App has function that someone you can allow someone else to track the movement of the cab to ensure it's taking you home safely
- Customer service very good, if you have a valid they usually refund straight away

Cons
- Some moral issues about how Uber treat their workers
- Ubers cannot use bus lanes (like black cabs can) so can get stuck in traffic
- at popular times the price increases (surges) and at particularly busy times e.g. New Years Eve or when there's a tube strike the price gets ridiculous - this is very rare though

Price surges are far more common than that. I use Uber most days I expect and depending on where I am and at what time, I reckon at least 30% of my trips are subject to price surge.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:01 - Jul 26 with 16688 viewsSWGF

Used it in Birmingham while there for the cricket at Edgbaston. It was ridiculously easy to use, accurate re: time that the taxi would arrive and didn't need cash. Would use it again given the chance.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:02 - Jul 26 with 16676 viewsHeathlander

Thanks all much appreciated.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:03 - Jul 26 with 16660 viewsSuperfrans

They're a scourge in London, an awful company. They're putting black cabbies out of business across the capital and mini-cab offices have all but disappeared in lots of areas. Meanwhile, Uber drivers barely make enough to make a living because of the low prices.

Their model is to set price according to demand. So, when it's busy, prices are higher. After the London bombing, while black cabbies were ferrying people around free, Uber's prices went up.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/04/technology/uber-london-attack-surge-pricing/

They're a typical Amazon-style operation, losing huge amounts of money (net loss $2.8bn in 2016), but gaining market share, so that once they've killed their competition, they'll be able to cash in and up prices - leaving us with an uncompetitive environment, higher prices, unregulated cab system etc etc etc.

Look on their "Criticism" section on their Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_(company)#Criticism

Awful company. But, of course, low prices are all that matter...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:04 - Jul 26 with 16653 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Uber do the little things well

Like allowing you to put music on via your phone through the speakers. It goes down well after nights out.

Little things like that are appreciated by many I think

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:06 - Jul 26 with 16640 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:03 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

They're a scourge in London, an awful company. They're putting black cabbies out of business across the capital and mini-cab offices have all but disappeared in lots of areas. Meanwhile, Uber drivers barely make enough to make a living because of the low prices.

Their model is to set price according to demand. So, when it's busy, prices are higher. After the London bombing, while black cabbies were ferrying people around free, Uber's prices went up.

They're a typical Amazon-style operation, losing huge amounts of money (net loss $2.8bn in 2016), but gaining market share, so that once they've killed their competition, they'll be able to cash in and up prices - leaving us with an uncompetitive environment, higher prices, unregulated cab system etc etc etc.

Can I point out that because of the way their system works, it will always go up when a disaster like that happens.

However, after the event, they do their best to refund all customers who have been affected by whatever disaster it was and had to pay extra.

Just thought I'd point that out as it's only fair as I can assume the article doesn't mention that part.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:08 - Jul 26 with 16617 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:06 - Jul 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Can I point out that because of the way their system works, it will always go up when a disaster like that happens.

However, after the event, they do their best to refund all customers who have been affected by whatever disaster it was and had to pay extra.

Just thought I'd point that out as it's only fair as I can assume the article doesn't mention that part.

Still an awful company though.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:10 - Jul 26 with 16609 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:04 - Jul 26 by The_Romford_Blue

Uber do the little things well

Like allowing you to put music on via your phone through the speakers. It goes down well after nights out.

Little things like that are appreciated by many I think

That's interesting. How do they do that given that they're simply a technology company, which doesn't employ any of its drivers? Uber drivers use their own cars and are independent contractors...

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:11 - Jul 26 with 16600 viewsbluewein

I think they drive instead of run now...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:34 - Jul 26 with 16554 viewsJakeITFC

Yeah, I got one in Ipswich the other day.

Don't think there are many drivers on atm, but my blokes said it's been running here for two months.

As others have said though, it's a great thing, especially abroad.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:34 - Jul 26 with 16548 viewsLord_Lucan

Answer me honestly, do you use Amazon?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:39 - Jul 26 with 16527 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:10 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

That's interesting. How do they do that given that they're simply a technology company, which doesn't employ any of its drivers? Uber drivers use their own cars and are independent contractors...

I honestly have no idea

Every uber ive been in or heard of mates go in, this has always been an option. I assume they are told they must allow it to be played through or something?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:40 - Jul 26 with 16521 viewsJakeITFC

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:10 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

All Uber drivers are top blokes.
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:45 - Jul 26 with 16513 viewsDolly2.0

If Uber drivers barely make enough to make a living, why do they do that job? Uber hasn't been around that long, what were they doing before and why did they switch?

I have sympathy to a certain extent - but regular cabs only have themselves to blame for charging exorbitant prices in the first place. I stopped using them in Chelmsford many years ago when a 7 minute ride to my parents' from the station reached £10.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:47 - Jul 26 with 16509 viewsTractorWood

I don't disagree with the majority of these points. But they are also a God send if you are in Indonesia/Malaysia etc. and you need a cab to get you from one place to another without 10 minutes of haggling. Also they help to combat extortionate taxi fares in cities like Nice, where it is not uncommon for cabbies to attempt to charge tourists €50 for a 10 minute ride.

Your last paragraph is a bit counterintuitive. 'but gaining market share, so that once they've killed their competition, they'll be able to cash in and up prices - leaving us with an uncompetitive environment'. This is a completely consumer driven market, any price rises will revert to people considering a cheaper alternative. It's called the price elasticity of demand and it's the corner stone of a free market economy.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:53 - Jul 26 with 16491 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:45 - Jul 26 by Dolly2.0

If Uber drivers barely make enough to make a living, why do they do that job? Uber hasn't been around that long, what were they doing before and why did they switch?

I have sympathy to a certain extent - but regular cabs only have themselves to blame for charging exorbitant prices in the first place. I stopped using them in Chelmsford many years ago when a 7 minute ride to my parents' from the station reached £10.

A cab from my house in IP4 to the station is now hovering around £10 which is ridiculous. I can get a cab to Woodbridge for £15

UBER is GO

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 18:16 - Jul 26 with 16414 viewsmutters

Not sure about Ipswich, but it's a great service at a decent price.

Others have mentioned pros and cons, but having put up with constant failures by other taxi firms, Uber is miles ahead. Too long to wait (especially late at night) other taxis either didn't turn up or would turn up early or late, and so often after phoning and asking where the taxi was you'd get the infamous 'its just round the corner' response.

I don't use any other firms now, drivers are excellent and very polite (they get rated by users) and more often than not I get offered a bottle of water when I get in the cab.

Top service, you don't realise how poor the other firms are until you get a company like this.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 18:41 - Jul 26 with 16339 viewstcblue

There's no former forumite called uberdriver. If that's not reason enough to use the service over minicabs....
Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:17 - Jul 26 with 16248 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:34 - Jul 26 by Lord_Lucan

Answer me honestly, do you use Amazon?

I do, I have a Kindle. But there is no serious competition which is any better in the ebooks market and I like the variety of choice and availability that ebooks give. I also still buy tree books pretty regularly. Bought the new Dennis Lehane last week, for instance.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:19 - Jul 26 with 16242 viewsSuperfrans

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 17:45 - Jul 26 by Dolly2.0

There's lots of media coverage on how Uber drivers struggle to make a living.

Th choice of Uber is entirely price driven imho. Problem is, the prices will rise again when the competition is destroyed - and we'll be left with an expensive, unregulated, unreliable system lining the pockets of a largely immoral corporation.

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:23 - Jul 26 with 16237 viewsLord_Lucan

Does UBER run in Ipswich? on 19:17 - Jul 26 by Superfrans

I do, I have a Kindle. But there is no serious competition which is any better in the ebooks market and I like the variety of choice and availability that ebooks give. I also still buy tree books pretty regularly. Bought the new Dennis Lehane last week, for instance.

But Amazon are smashing the high street retailer in the same way that UBER are smashing the black cabs. It's same same.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024