Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding Fine question 08:36 - Jul 27 with 12789 viewshype313

I received a NIP in the post yesterday for a speeding offence whilst doing 35 in a 30. The offence took place on 17/04/17 and the letter was dated the 24/7/17, having read a few sites including Gov.co.uk it states they must issue the NIP within 14 days of the offence, otherwise it is null and void, is this true and has anyone had similar experience?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Speeding Fine question on 13:30 - Jul 27 with 3970 viewsBlueBadger

Speeding Fine question on 12:27 - Jul 27 by Meadowlark

The police WILL make up evidence, and ignore procedures because they know that you will not pursue this for as long as they will. You neither have the resources nor the time that they have. And they know that when it comes down to the truth against their word, they always win.
It is a sad state of affairs, but this is why there is so much disrespect for the police force. I am not saying that they are all bad people, but they use a system that ensures it is very difficult for innocent motorists to get off. And it seems that the more that they become aware of this, the more they are beginning to exploit this position of power.
You've got no chance, but I wish you luck!

I'm pretty sure that the time spent paying someone to muck about in photoshop to produce faked up evidence of speeding is probably more costly than actually getting a shot of someone speeding.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Speeding Fine question on 13:37 - Jul 27 with 3961 viewshype313

Speeding Fine question on 13:28 - Jul 27 by uefacup81

Surely, even if they claim an earlier letter was sent, you could bring the claim into doubt by querying their procedures?

I highly doubt that if they had sent you a letter back in April, which to their mind you'd ignored, they'd be so kind as to send you the same letter again three months later just to give you a second chance.

I'm sure a very pertinent question would be 'why didn't you advance the case to the next step when I, allegedly, ignored your first letter?'.

Indeed, it seems pretty much cut and dry to me.

I'll keep you all updated with my impending imprisonment.

Speeding Fine question on 13:48 - Jul 27 with 3951 viewshoppy

Speeding Fine question on 11:19 - Jul 27 by homer_123

Here's the situ:

1. Police send NIP outside 14 day period
2. They are required to prove they sent one within the 14 day period

What proof do they need to provide? Merely that it was posted - no more than that. How do you prove it was posted? Simple, an employee of the police force states they posted it.

How do I know this. I've been on the receiving end of the exact situation. I challenged and was sent documentation from the force which was a written a signed statement from an employee that they had posted it. Note here that it was send via 2nd class post, not signed for or registered, they don't have to provide proof it arrived. I checked with solicitor and they confirmed that the Court would accept this as proof of the NIP being sent within 14 days.

By their same methods, could it not be said that the fine had been paid - you sent it straight away after the first letter. If you need proof that it was sent, they could ask your wife to confirm she put the envelope in the postbox?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Speeding Fine question on 13:50 - Jul 27 with 3943 viewsMeadowlark

Speeding Fine question on 13:30 - Jul 27 by BlueBadger

I'm pretty sure that the time spent paying someone to muck about in photoshop to produce faked up evidence of speeding is probably more costly than actually getting a shot of someone speeding.

They wouldn't need to do that.
It's not the offence that's in question. It's the procedures.
Speeding Fine question on 13:50 - Jul 27 with 3941 viewsRyorry

Speeding Fine question on 13:48 - Jul 27 by hoppy

By their same methods, could it not be said that the fine had been paid - you sent it straight away after the first letter. If you need proof that it was sent, they could ask your wife to confirm she put the envelope in the postbox?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Speeding Fine question on 14:13 - Jul 27 with 3905 viewsDolly2.0

The police WILL make up evidence, and ignore procedures because they know that you will not pursue this for as long as they will. You neither have the resources nor the time that they have. And they know that when it comes down to the truth against their word, they always win.
It is a sad state of affairs, but this is why there is so much disrespect for the police force. I am not saying that they are all bad people, but they use a system that ensures it is very difficult for innocent motorists to get off. And it seems that the more that they become aware of this, the more they are beginning to exploit this position of power.

He doesn't sound like an "innocent motorist" though. He's admitted he was doing 35 in a 30.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Speeding Fine question on 14:20 - Jul 27 with 3894 viewsusm

He hasnt said hes innocent.

Hes trying to get off on a technicality, so if anything hes in the wrong - twice !!!

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Speeding Fine question on 14:21 - Jul 27 with 3889 viewshoppy

Speeding Fine question on 14:20 - Jul 27 by usm

Hes trying to get off on a technicality, so if anything hes in the wrong - twice !!!

I've always thought he's a wrong'un, anyway.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Speeding Fine question on 14:22 - Jul 27 with 3887 viewshype313

Speeding Fine question on 14:21 - Jul 27 by hoppy

I've always thought he's a wrong'un, anyway.

Speeding Fine question on 14:34 - Jul 27 with 3875 viewsCrawfordsboot

Does no one find it a little depressing that what originates as an admitted offence committed by an individual morphs into a criticism of the police.

Anyone on here with family members who have been injured by a speeding driver?
Speeding Fine question on 14:36 - Jul 27 with 3870 viewsDolly2.0

Speeding Fine question on 14:34 - Jul 27 by Crawfordsboot

Does no one find it a little depressing that what originates as an admitted offence committed by an individual morphs into a criticism of the police.

I was thinking why has no-one just said you're bang to rights just cough up, but I didn't want to start a row. And frankly, I'd try and get off myself if I could.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Speeding Fine question on 14:39 - Jul 27 with 3854 viewsMeadowlark

Yes. Good point. I rather lost sight of that in my rant didn't I.....?
Speeding Fine question on 14:42 - Jul 27 with 3848 viewsGeoffSentence

Speeding Fine question on 14:36 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

I was thinking why has no-one just said you're bang to rights just cough up, but I didn't want to start a row. And frankly, I'd try and get off myself if I could.

No one can honestly say they have never slipped over a speed limit, except those people who drive so slowly that they are a nuisance. Since the OP is ignorant of the niceties of speeding offences i think we can take it that he is not a habitual speeder and give him a bit of leeway.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Speeding Fine question on 15:11 - Jul 27 with 3809 viewshype313

Speeding Fine question on 14:42 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

No one can honestly say they have never slipped over a speed limit, except those people who drive so slowly that they are a nuisance. Since the OP is ignorant of the niceties of speeding offences i think we can take it that he is not a habitual speeder and give him a bit of leeway.

First penalty of any sort since I passed my test in 1997!

Speeding Fine question on 15:25 - Jul 27 with 3798 viewsgiant_stow

Speeding Fine question on 15:11 - Jul 27 by hype313

First penalty of any sort since I passed my test in 1997!

lightweight.

I've only had two speeding tickets, mind, but one those may not have technically been mine.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Speeding Fine question on 15:26 - Jul 27 with 3796 viewsRimmersBrace

Just have your 5 minutes in front of magistrates. They will acquit you straightaway.
Speeding Fine question on 15:26 - Jul 27 with 3796 viewshype313

Speeding Fine question on 15:25 - Jul 27 by giant_stow

lightweight.

I've only had two speeding tickets, mind, but one those may not have technically been mine.

Your sisters?

Speeding Fine question on 15:28 - Jul 27 with 3792 viewsNewcyBlue

If he were to get off on this technicality what would stop people from just binning NIP's and saying they hadn't received them?

Good luck with it, I would certainly try myself too.

Might be worth checking these forums out

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=114855

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Speeding Fine question on 15:28 - Jul 27 with 3790 viewsgiant_stow

Speeding Fine question on 15:26 - Jul 27 by hype313

Your sisters?

Nearly - Dadda's back when he was losing his sight and couldn't afford another set of points.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Speeding Fine question on 16:33 - Jul 27 with 3760 viewsbluelagos

Speeding Fine question on 14:34 - Jul 27 by Crawfordsboot

Is today hug a copper day?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Speeding Fine question on 18:06 - Jul 27 with 3723 viewsJustSpivvyChops

Speeding Fine question on 15:28 - Jul 27 by NewcyBlue

If he were to get off on this technicality what would stop people from just binning NIP's and saying they hadn't received them?

Technicalities make up a good deal of common law.

NIP's not only inform you of the alleged offence, but also require you, by law, to respond to them naming the driver of the vehicle on the date/time of the alleged offence, so people cannot simply bin the NIP.

The time restriction is there for good reason, because if there wasn't a time limit on the delivery of the NIP and your local police force (like most) was woefully undermanned and administratively inept, such that you received a NIP 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 months down the line from an alleged offence, how could anybody be expected to remember who was driving the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence? It would be very difficult to achieve a conviction if somebody simply claimed they couldn't remember who was driving at the time and how could a Court satisfactorily suggest to the contrary after an extended period of time?
Speeding Fine question on 18:31 - Jul 27 with 3699 viewsPinewoodblue

Speeding Fine question on 15:28 - Jul 27 by NewcyBlue

The NIP has to be sent within 14 days, no requirement for it to be received to be valid notification.

Good luck to the original poster who will, if successful, avoid having to pay to attend a driver awareness course. Very unlikely a course would not be offered so no real likely hood of points on his licence.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding Fine question on 18:45 - Jul 27 with 3684 viewsjeera

Speeding Fine question on 16:33 - Jul 27 by bluelagos

AMCUTAB.

I'm pretty certain I got done some weeks ago by a mobile unit, but have changed the address on log book etc since.

I don't wanna get into bother for ignoring the letter but think it's possible the thing hasn't yet found me. I would call them but that means attracting attention.

All mobile camera unit thingies are bastards.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Speeding Fine question on 19:29 - Jul 27 with 3664 viewsCrawfordsboot

Speeding Fine question on 16:33 - Jul 27 by bluelagos

To quote a star of the TWTD platform

Behave! .... :-)
Speeding Fine question on 19:35 - Jul 27 with 3658 viewsNewcyBlue

Speeding Fine question on 18:45 - Jul 27 by jeera

AMCUTAB.

I'm pretty certain I got done some weeks ago by a mobile unit, but have changed the address on log book etc since.

I don't wanna get into bother for ignoring the letter but think it's possible the thing hasn't yet found me. I would call them but that means attracting attention.

All mobile camera unit thingies are bastards.

I thought I saw a flash on the A1 up by the border. Called the Jock Camera Partnership and they had a look and said there was nothing. I just told them that I thought I saw a flash and wanted to double check as I had just also changed the address on my logbook.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024