Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants 10:37 - Jul 27 with 10074 viewsDolly2.0

Just had a bit of cleaning and a slight bit of filler on some tips... which along with last week's check up cost £101.

That's bad enough, but I've since discovered (on my receipt/form) that part of it was NHS treatment and part private. WTF?! I thought I was going to an NHS dentist (it says NHS outside and the form has the NHS logo at the top) but after speaking to my father on the phone, apparently some dentists are part private and part NHS. Who knew this?! And shouldn't they make it clear?!

Is this a well known thing? Because I did not have a clue. I feel like I've been scammed!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:40 - Jul 27 with 7185 viewsclive_baker

100 sheets for 2 visits sounds alright to me. Last time I went they did me for about £160.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:42 - Jul 27 with 7163 viewshype313

Go Denplan, I pay a tenner a month and it works out very cost effective.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:43 - Jul 27 with 7158 viewsuefacup81

As is my understanding, the NHS doesn't cover cosmetic dentistry such as cleaning.

Therefore the checkup would have been at NHS prices (and possibly the filler depending on the reasons), but the clean would have been at the practice's own prices.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 7152 viewsNo9

many dentists are giving up NHS my dentist advises. There may be few who do all work on an NHS ticket so they are offering a type of insurance which works out @ circa £400 per year plus the cost of treatemtn at a reduced rate.

All part of dismantling the NHS
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 7155 viewsGeoffSentence

It is the dental hygienist that is the e,pensive bit. Those beggars charge loads. I am lucky to have found a dentist who includes a clean as part of the NHS check up. Twenty quid all in. My dentist isn't a rip-off merchant.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 7148 viewsDolly2.0

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:40 - Jul 27 by clive_baker

100 sheets for 2 visits sounds alright to me. Last time I went they did me for about £160.

That bit didn't bother me as much as the fact that some of it's private which they basically hide. Presumably if it had all been NHS it would've been cheaper?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:45 - Jul 27 with 7131 viewsDolly2.0

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

It is the dental hygienist that is the e,pensive bit. Those beggars charge loads. I am lucky to have found a dentist who includes a clean as part of the NHS check up. Twenty quid all in. My dentist isn't a rip-off merchant.

Wow, that's brilliant.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:46 - Jul 27 with 7125 viewshomer_123

Yep, sounds about right.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:47 - Jul 27 with 7108 viewshomer_123

Although I would suggest that the quality of NHS Dentistry is somewhat different to private.

In short, the NHS stipulates how much they pay for services and how much time the dentist should take to do the work. Suffice to say, this promotes an approach of just enough is good enough with some dentists.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:48 - Jul 27 with 7106 viewsJosebadleg

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

That bit didn't bother me as much as the fact that some of it's private which they basically hide. Presumably if it had all been NHS it would've been cheaper?

Not all the time, some private stuff is cheaper than the NHS.... or atleast that's what my dentist told me the last time I went

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:54 - Jul 27 with 7052 viewshoppy

Where is this?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:56 - Jul 27 with 7047 viewsBluebell

I go to an NHS dentist but have work done privately sometimes.

I needed a crown and the NHS only do about 3 different colours (shades of white obviously). I was told that if I optede for private they could match the tooth to all my others.

The difference in price was £400 for private and £150 for NHS. I opted for private as the tooth shows when I smile and I didn't want it looking unnatural.
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:57 - Jul 27 with 7024 viewshomer_123

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:56 - Jul 27 by Bluebell

I needed a crown and the NHS only do about 3 different colours (shades of white obviously). I was told that if I optede for private they could match the tooth to all my others.

The difference in price was £400 for private and £150 for NHS. I opted for private as the tooth shows when I smile and I didn't want it looking unnatural.

Not Gold then?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:59 - Jul 27 with 7010 viewshype313

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:54 - Jul 27 by hoppy

Where is this?

Bulgaria.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:00 - Jul 27 with 7007 viewsbluewein

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:42 - Jul 27 by hype313

Go Denplan, I pay a tenner a month and it works out very cost effective.

Same here. The most worthwhile thing I've ever paid for.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:00 - Jul 27 with 7008 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:47 - Jul 27 by homer_123

Although I would suggest that the quality of NHS Dentistry is somewhat different to private.

In short, the NHS stipulates how much they pay for services and how much time the dentist should take to do the work. Suffice to say, this promotes an approach of just enough is good enough with some dentists.

I don't see how my check up could be much better. Frankly I am amazed that they can do it. I am in the chair for twenty minutes, each tooth checked individually, gums checked, they always give me an x-ray and clean.

That is 20 minutes of the dentist's time and the same for the dental assistant , plus the receptionist's time, plus the cost of the x-ray and a portion of the costs of running the practise all for twenty quid.

The only aT that they could improve it would be to take on Liz Hurley as the dental nurse.

They are not taking new NHS patients at the moment.
ctise

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:02 - Jul 27 with 6995 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:54 - Jul 27 by hoppy

Where is this?

In the Ipswich-shotley-Sudbury golden triangle.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:02 - Jul 27 with 6990 viewshomer_123

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:00 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

I don't see how my check up could be much better. Frankly I am amazed that they can do it. I am in the chair for twenty minutes, each tooth checked individually, gums checked, they always give me an x-ray and clean.

That is 20 minutes of the dentist's time and the same for the dental assistant , plus the receptionist's time, plus the cost of the x-ray and a portion of the costs of running the practise all for twenty quid.

The only aT that they could improve it would be to take on Liz Hurley as the dental nurse.

ctise

If you get an xray every time you are there, I'd suggest that could be a problem!

I'm not saying yours doesn't represent value....what I am saying is that is that if you need a root canal, the NHS stipulate the Dentist has this done in 40 mins and charge X......now, some work requires a lot longer than the NHS stipulate....many NHS Dentists have been found to simply do whatever they can in that 40 mins regardless of quality.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:05 - Jul 27 with 6967 viewsBlueBadger

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:00 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

ctise

I was charged 64 quid(if you're counting a prescription charge for antibiotics) for emergency treatment of a HUGE access plus root canal(two hours in the chair, total). I'll take that.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 11:08]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:06 - Jul 27 with 6960 viewsbritbiker

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:56 - Jul 27 by Bluebell

I have always looked after my teeth and am now at a private practice which always brings s tear to my eye when I get the bill. When I was younger I went to the local NHS dentist and couldn't fathom why I always had a filling at every appointment. It wasn't to years later that I realised it was mostly unnecessary as that's how they used to make money by charging to the NHS. So there were loads of us with fillings that were done purely for money reasons.
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:06 - Jul 27 with 6959 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:02 - Jul 27 by homer_123

If you get an xray every time you are there, I'd suggest that could be a problem!

I'm not saying yours doesn't represent value....what I am saying is that is that if you need a root canal, the NHS stipulate the Dentist has this done in 40 mins and charge X......now, some work requires a lot longer than the NHS stipulate....many NHS Dentists have been found to simply do whatever they can in that 40 mins regardless of quality.

WhY would an x-ray be a problem? They do it to check for problems. And so far so good. My gnashers are in good nick.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:07 - Jul 27 with 6947 viewshomer_123

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:06 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

WhY would an x-ray be a problem? They do it to check for problems. And so far so good. My gnashers are in good nick.

If they are xraying you every time you have a checkup they maybe exposing you to too much radiation bud.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:11 - Jul 27 with 6924 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:07 - Jul 27 by homer_123

If they are xraying you every time you have a checkup they maybe exposing you to too much radiation bud.

What? Once a year? The practise is in the Ipswich-shotley-sudbury golden triangle not Pripyat.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:14 - Jul 27 with 6897 viewschicoazul

You should stop eating all the samples Haribo keep sending you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:15 - Jul 27 with 6891 viewshomer_123

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:11 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

What? Once a year? The practise is in the Ipswich-shotley-sudbury golden triangle not Pripyat.

Yes, you are exposed to natural background radiation - before you NHS Dentists takes an xray he should be asking you some basic questions such as how many you've had that year - what job you do etc.

I'd question very strongly why you need an xray each time you go. You shouldn't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024