Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants 10:37 - Jul 27 with 10076 viewsDolly2.0

Just had a bit of cleaning and a slight bit of filler on some tips... which along with last week's check up cost £101.

That's bad enough, but I've since discovered (on my receipt/form) that part of it was NHS treatment and part private. WTF?! I thought I was going to an NHS dentist (it says NHS outside and the form has the NHS logo at the top) but after speaking to my father on the phone, apparently some dentists are part private and part NHS. Who knew this?! And shouldn't they make it clear?!

Is this a well known thing? Because I did not have a clue. I feel like I've been scammed!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:18 - Jul 27 with 2840 viewsElderGrizzly

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 10:44 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

That bit didn't bother me as much as the fact that some of it's private which they basically hide. Presumably if it had all been NHS it would've been cheaper?

Some parts of a regular dental treatment aren't offered on the NHS anymore, if they are deemed cosmetic rather than clinically necessary.

This link explains it all rather nicely, but your dentist should have discussed your treatment with you. It wouldn't have got it cheaper, you just wouldn't have had it done if you refused the private element as it's not NHS treatment

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-and-private-dental-charges.aspx?CategoryID=74&Su
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 2839 viewsNW10_Tractor

At check up (NHS Price band 1 - (£21 (-/+)), Your dentist should discuss with you what your problems are and how to rectify them. As with most businesses, they will tell you what they think needs to be done (most of which is private) and then you tell them what you can afford. Find out from them what work needs doing that can be done on the NHS and should you agree a "Dental Plan" that is both cheap in pocket and corrects the problem with your teeth. Do remember that dentists are run as a business and MOST will look for the up sell... Cleaning is part of the second Band of NHS dental treatment and should be priced in the £51(-/+) price band before you start discussing crowns, roots canals and bridges which can be classed as BAND 3 (£210 -/+)

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:23 - Jul 27 with 2833 viewsLightningboy

Every parent should tell their child to be a dentist.

What gets me these days is whenever I go to the dentist,he/she tries to get me to "pop into see the hygienist" to scrape off a bit of plaque?..years ago the dentist would do this in a matter of seconds..they're just lining each other's pockets..total rip off merchants.
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:24 - Jul 27 with 2830 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:15 - Jul 27 by homer_123

Yes, you are exposed to natural background radiation - before you NHS Dentists takes an xray he should be asking you some basic questions such as how many you've had that year - what job you do etc.

I'd question very strongly why you need an xray each time you go. You shouldn't.

He should probably ask how many bananas i eat too. A dental X-Ray is equivalent to eating 50 bananas. Which is about an eighth of the exposure you would get on a trans-atlantic flight. It really is not a problem.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:28 - Jul 27 with 2813 viewstcblue

"You need to make an appointment with our hygienist"

Yeah, I'll get right on that. Let me get my invisible telephone
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:43 - Jul 27 with 2792 viewsRyorry

Just had letter from my previous, terrible dentistry practice (part of the ADP chain) telling me that they were stopping NHS work and going private, inviting me to join some scheme they'd cobbled up. As I'd already moved to another practice which is excellent, I shoved the forms & brochure back in the pre-paid envelope and basically told em to stuff it.

The dentists were actually OK, but the management & admin of the practice were absolutely dire. They couldn't give me an emergency appointment for several days when I rang up with raging toothache (turned out to be an abcess); failed to advise me that I could go to a dental hospital or phone NHS111 for an appointment elsewhere if in acute pain from it; their systems and waiting room were dire (very loud canned music).

Very useful thread, thanks all!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:51 - Jul 27 with 2775 viewsStokieBlue

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:23 - Jul 27 by Lightningboy

Every parent should tell their child to be a dentist.

What gets me these days is whenever I go to the dentist,he/she tries to get me to "pop into see the hygienist" to scrape off a bit of plaque?..years ago the dentist would do this in a matter of seconds..they're just lining each other's pockets..total rip off merchants.

Dentistry is surely a prime target for robotics? Not sure it's the best career move although hard to say what is nowadays.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 13:29 - Jul 27 with 2739 viewsBlueBadger

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:24 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

He should probably ask how many bananas i eat too. A dental X-Ray is equivalent to eating 50 bananas. Which is about an eighth of the exposure you would get on a trans-atlantic flight. It really is not a problem.

the point is, it's additional radiation exposure THAT YOU MAY NOT NEED TO RECEIVE.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:18 - Jul 27 with 2706 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 13:29 - Jul 27 by BlueBadger

the point is, it's additional radiation exposure THAT YOU MAY NOT NEED TO RECEIVE.

It is trivial though. The bananas and flights are equally unnecessary. I would move out of my brick house into a caravan and save myself 700 bananas worth of radiation a year. People living near sizewell are getting twice as much as this extra a year by living where they do.I

The fatal banana equivalent dose is 100000000. I aren't going to worry about an annual dental xray.

People get too worked up about radiation . For instance you could hold a nugget of pure uranium in your bare hands with absolutely no ill effect. Protective clothing is necessary because of the danger of ingesting uranium oxide dust, not because of the direct radiation from the uranium.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:21 - Jul 27 with 2697 viewsDolly2.0

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:18 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

It is trivial though. The bananas and flights are equally unnecessary. I would move out of my brick house into a caravan and save myself 700 bananas worth of radiation a year. People living near sizewell are getting twice as much as this extra a year by living where they do.I

The fatal banana equivalent dose is 100000000. I aren't going to worry about an annual dental xray.

People get too worked up about radiation . For instance you could hold a nugget of pure uranium in your bare hands with absolutely no ill effect. Protective clothing is necessary because of the danger of ingesting uranium oxide dust, not because of the direct radiation from the uranium.

I've always found it a bit disconcerting when they toddle off to another room when you get an x-ray.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:27 - Jul 27 with 2685 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:21 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

I've always found it a bit disconcerting when they toddle off to another room when you get an x-ray.

for the dentist it is more of a concern as they could do several of them a day. not one a year. that is why they run off.

For the patient It is feck all and nothing to worry about. Even if a patient was undergoing radiotherapy i would doubt that it would make an awful lot of difference as the dose is so low in comparison. But the dentist should be aware of that anyway since the first thing they do is ask about your general health.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:27 - Jul 27 with 2682 viewshoppy

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:21 - Jul 27 by Dolly2.0

They're probably just polishing off a banana.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:37 - Jul 27 with 2663 viewsDolly2.0

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:27 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

for the dentist it is more of a concern as they could do several of them a day. not one a year. that is why they run off.

For the patient It is feck all and nothing to worry about. Even if a patient was undergoing radiotherapy i would doubt that it would make an awful lot of difference as the dose is so low in comparison. But the dentist should be aware of that anyway since the first thing they do is ask about your general health.

Yeah I know.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:44 - Jul 27 with 2654 viewsGeoffSentence

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:27 - Jul 27 by hoppy

They're probably just polishing off a banana.

So long as it is just the one they should be ok. 50 or more and questions need to be asked.

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 15:03 - Jul 27 with 2640 viewschicoazul

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 11:51 - Jul 27 by StokieBlue

Dentistry is surely a prime target for robotics? Not sure it's the best career move although hard to say what is nowadays.

SB

Would you let a robot do your dentistry???

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 16:52 - Jul 27 with 2620 viewsstrikalite

You can sit in that chair feeling fine having no problems for the last six months, he pokes around reading out a few meaningless numbers, then tells you(if you're lucky)that you need a couple of fillings doing, so, do you believe him? You feel fine, it's a bit like taking the 'ol motor in for a service and you getting that dreaded call...

Said to my mate the other day when was the last time you went to a dentist, he had to think hard, ten years at least he said, this is a guy who eats anything, no problems in that time i said, no....nothing at all.....who's the fcuking mug here I'm thinking..that's how it makes you feel..
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 16:55 - Jul 27 with 2616 viewstcblue

Do the EU approved straight bananas have less radiations in than the inferior bendy ones
Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 17:02 - Jul 27 with 2611 viewshoppy

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 14:44 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

So long as it is just the one they should be ok. 50 or more and questions need to be asked.

Especially given how quickly they usually come back. Consuming 50 bananas in that short space of time does suggest something more sinister could be lurking.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 17:06 - Jul 27 with 2605 viewsDolly2.0

Dentists - utter rip-off merchants on 16:52 - Jul 27 by strikalite

You can sit in that chair feeling fine having no problems for the last six months, he pokes around reading out a few meaningless numbers, then tells you(if you're lucky)that you need a couple of fillings doing, so, do you believe him? You feel fine, it's a bit like taking the 'ol motor in for a service and you getting that dreaded call...

Said to my mate the other day when was the last time you went to a dentist, he had to think hard, ten years at least he said, this is a guy who eats anything, no problems in that time i said, no....nothing at all.....who's the fcuking mug here I'm thinking..that's how it makes you feel..

I agree with everything in this post (especially the car analogy).

I hadn't been for 7 years before last week... and there was a 5 year gap before that, I don't floss, and my toothbrush is several years old.

I'm 44 and have never had a filling.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024