Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New striker will be someone on loan.... 14:00 - Jul 27 with 12992 viewsKieran_Knows

Wanted Ike Ugbo from Chelsea.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 14:00]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:21 - Jul 27 with 2262 viewsBenters

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:11 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

But surely £3m for Murphy last summer was a 'bonkers fee' - seems like we want to have our cake and eat it

Well apart from that.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Here he is! (n/t) on 18:18 - Jul 27 with 2189 viewsBlueBadger

Here he is! (n/t) on 15:07 - Jul 27 by Bloots

Heeeeeeerrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee's Benters! The wacky comedy creation who hates 'PC finds' but down votes anything that even mildly takes the piss out of him or his buds.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 18:33 - Jul 27 with 2161 viewstractorboy1978

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 16:06 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

It's a shame, and personally don't think it is the right thing to do as we are just going to end up in this situation every year - and as Chelsea are proving the biggest clubs with the best players become able to dictate to you

It's a completely false economy to me. Spend £1m odd on developing a player from elsewhere with nothing to show for it at the end of the season or look to spend £2-£3m (possibly less!) and get a player of our own with potential resale value well above that - particularly with young centre forwards who seem to score a handful of goals and suddenly you are talking £5m+. We seem willing to do it on a smaller scale with the likes of Ward and Webster but when it comes to spending a bit more cash we just won't take that risk.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 19:00]
New striker will be someone on loan.... on 18:46 - Jul 27 with 2130 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 18:33 - Jul 27 by tractorboy1978

It's a completely false economy to me. Spend £1m odd on developing a player from elsewhere with nothing to show for it at the end of the season or look to spend £2-£3m (possibly less!) and get a player of our own with potential resale value well above that - particularly with young centre forwards who seem to score a handful of goals and suddenly you are talking £5m+. We seem willing to do it on a smaller scale with the likes of Ward and Webster but when it comes to spending a bit more cash we just won't take that risk.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 19:00]

Different things.

Borrowing someone (on loan) is on the basis that you believe they are already a good player but cannot afford to buy them or the club loaning them won't let you. So it is a bet that by borrowing them they will repay (in spades) by helping to get you promoted (fat chance I agree before anyone says so!)

Buying someone who isn't really cheap, which seems to mean under about £3m now, is a gamble because we don't know if they are good enough. If they are then the return can be both from their value increasing and them being a great player. But there is more risk - they might be rubbish and then their value plummets and you are left with someone on big wages too. And you go more into debt to buy them.

Who'd be an owner these days. They must be mad. I reckon ours regrets the day he got into it all the time.
And equally to be a manager in the Championship at a Club who either doesn't have Parachute payments or an owner who is up for betting the house is a total no-win too. Apart from the massive salary of course!
New striker will be someone on loan.... on 18:58 - Jul 27 with 2106 viewstractorboy1978

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 18:46 - Jul 27 by CBMTOBWMMBG

Different things.

Borrowing someone (on loan) is on the basis that you believe they are already a good player but cannot afford to buy them or the club loaning them won't let you. So it is a bet that by borrowing them they will repay (in spades) by helping to get you promoted (fat chance I agree before anyone says so!)

Buying someone who isn't really cheap, which seems to mean under about £3m now, is a gamble because we don't know if they are good enough. If they are then the return can be both from their value increasing and them being a great player. But there is more risk - they might be rubbish and then their value plummets and you are left with someone on big wages too. And you go more into debt to buy them.

Who'd be an owner these days. They must be mad. I reckon ours regrets the day he got into it all the time.
And equally to be a manager in the Championship at a Club who either doesn't have Parachute payments or an owner who is up for betting the house is a total no-win too. Apart from the massive salary of course!

Do we know if Fletcher or Ugbo are good enough? A player has to seriously bring superstar quality for me if we are going to warrant paying £1m odd on bringing them in for a season. Exeter paid £1.8m for Ollie Watkins, a player I see as less of a risk than both of the aforementioned (admittedly not a 6ft+ target man). If he does half decent at this level next season he'll be worth 5 times that in 12 months.
New striker will be someone on loan.... on 19:13 - Jul 27 with 2077 viewsVic

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 14:48 - Jul 27 by howdonblue

Hard luck mate every fan is entitled to their opinion I'm not bothered what you think 3-4 million nowadays is peanuts .

Jog on

Easy for us to spend other people's millions!

#jezzasbritain

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 19:14 - Jul 27 with 2072 viewssuffolkpunchdrunk

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 16:20 - Jul 27 by howdonblue

Yes this would be good business!

Plenty of potential this guy

Omar Bogal reportedly out of a friendly this weekend against Grimsby but he cannot say why. He is definitely on the move somewhere.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:19 - Jul 27 with 2060 viewsElderGrizzly

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:11 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

But surely £3m for Murphy last summer was a 'bonkers fee' - seems like we want to have our cake and eat it

Not really. We aren't in the same league as Newcastle financially, so £3m to them is probably equivalent of us spending £500k.

We are an average Championship club and have been for 10 years or so.
Login to get fewer ads

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 11:06 - Jul 28 with 1967 viewsBluetone

Maybe we should take a shot at getting Jack Marriott 4 or 5 million should do it and he does score goals for fun.
Shame we don't produce strikers like him.

Blog: My Life and Times as an Ipswich Supporter

Yeah, QPR. (n/t) on 11:10 - Jul 28 with 1954 viewsBloots

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 19:14 - Jul 27 by suffolkpunchdrunk

Omar Bogal reportedly out of a friendly this weekend against Grimsby but he cannot say why. He is definitely on the move somewhere.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 11:50 - Jul 28 with 1912 viewsPilgrimblue

New striker will be someone on loan.... on 11:06 - Jul 28 by Bluetone

Maybe we should take a shot at getting Jack Marriott 4 or 5 million should do it and he does score goals for fun.
Shame we don't produce strikers like him.

On recent evidence I'd say that Jack is better than either Morris or Patterson. However I like look of Folami but he seems a long way off MM's thoughts so needs to score plenty to get noticed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024