Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? 16:19 - Jul 27 with 12184 viewschristiand

Although MM has had a little more money to spend, do you think he has been sufficiently backed by ME?
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 16:34]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:20 - Jul 27 with 7226 viewshomer_123

Has ME really backed MM this summer? by christiand 14 Jul 2017 7:28
I'd be really interested to see what many of you out there think. Personally, the more I think about it the more I'm not entirely convinced. The spending has been extremely modest. Thoughts?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:21 - Jul 27 with 7221 viewsSomethingBlue

I think we can only answer that at the end of the window. If we do not get a deal for another striker — at the very least — done, whether on loan or permanently, then questions need to be asked. My hope is that Mick is just playing the bluffing game that he is pretty good at.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:22 - Jul 27 with 7208 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:20 - Jul 27 by homer_123

I'd be really interested to see what many of you out there think. Personally, the more I think about it the more I'm not entirely convinced. The spending has been extremely modest. Thoughts?

Thanks for the link Homer. Be interesting to see if people think differently now, especially with a matter of days to go to the new season.

Let you know in a month. (n/t) on 16:24 - Jul 27 with 7196 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:45 - Jul 27 with 7138 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:20 - Jul 27 by homer_123

I'm going to stick with my original view from a couple of weeks back, I'm a little underwhelmed by ME's lack of proper investment. We have lost 14 players and replaced them with 4 players - 2 we paid a 'nominal' fee for. Anything more than £1m ME's interest quickly fades, which is a real sad state of affairs. The current transfer climate is ridiculous, but we aren't even financially competitive. A £2m transfer fee is beyond us, therefore we must look at top conference players in future to be able to pay their fee. Now that's a sorry tale of decline. If I was MM I'd have to question: 'That's you backing me? Roll on next summer, if I last that long!'

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 17:05 - Jul 27 with 7099 viewsMach_foreignBlue

At the moment it's bit similar to the previous summer (as things stand).
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 17:18 - Jul 27 with 7063 viewsElderGrizzly

At the moment, yes.

If he is allowed to bring in a couple more and no-one is sold to 'balance the books', then definitely for the size of club we are.
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 17:20 - Jul 27 with 7055 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 17:05 - Jul 27 by Mach_foreignBlue

At the moment it's bit similar to the previous summer (as things stand).

I tend to agree. The smokescreen of the busy influx of players during June has disguised that fact. When I look back, I thought this is encouraging business is being done early, but we still need a few more to strengthen us - keep going! Then everything went quiet once again and has done so for the last few weeks. Honestly, I don't really think we'll fare much better than last season.

Login to get fewer ads

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 19:14 - Jul 27 with 6951 viewsHerbivore

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 16:45 - Jul 27 by christiand

I'm going to stick with my original view from a couple of weeks back, I'm a little underwhelmed by ME's lack of proper investment. We have lost 14 players and replaced them with 4 players - 2 we paid a 'nominal' fee for. Anything more than £1m ME's interest quickly fades, which is a real sad state of affairs. The current transfer climate is ridiculous, but we aren't even financially competitive. A £2m transfer fee is beyond us, therefore we must look at top conference players in future to be able to pay their fee. Now that's a sorry tale of decline. If I was MM I'd have to question: 'That's you backing me? Roll on next summer, if I last that long!'

Seven figures is not a 'nominal' fee. Jesus wept.

Are you including Spence and Huws in the list of 14 players we've lost out of interest? The reality is that in terms of genuine first team minutes we've only really lost Berra, Lawrence and Pitman thus far.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 19:28 - Jul 27 with 6932 viewsKeaneish

Depends. From Evans perspective he's upped the wage bill and transfer budget from last season. Can't comment on the wage bill but spending in the region of an extra 500k-ish on transfers isn't exactly significant and not exactly the budget we'd all hoped for given last campaign.

MM has made some decent signings and pre-season some games have looked good by all accounts. The squad is too thin in areas going into the opening game which is never great, ideally a settled squad by now.

I think MM needs more from ME personally. I'd anticipated double that transfer kitty given he's 'backed' his man. Maybe it's there to spend. Doesn't feel like it.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 19:42 - Jul 27 with 6907 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

To me it is all about the youngsters. If they come through, and I have high hopes especially in midfield, then I think that after what we have bought we are just light on one striker. With three experienced strikers I hope we go for a 20 year old at a Premiership Club with the right attitude.

The balance of experience and youth looks better than for many years IF Downes, Dozzell, Nydam (plus Bishop, Kenlock) are real first team options.
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:04 - Jul 27 with 6868 viewsEly_Blue

I think that a lot of this has been smoke and mirrors, given that last summer we paid out circa £1.5m on Webster and Ward and this season we have paid out £750k on Garner and circa £1m on Huws whilst shedding 14 players from the wage bill I do wonder if we haven't had the wool pulled over our eyes. Yes we have Celina and Iorfa on loan but last season we had Lawrence (who I would guess we paid more for than either of the above).

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:20 - Jul 27 with 6840 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 19:14 - Jul 27 by Herbivore

Seven figures is not a 'nominal' fee. Jesus wept.

Are you including Spence and Huws in the list of 14 players we've lost out of interest? The reality is that in terms of genuine first team minutes we've only really lost Berra, Lawrence and Pitman thus far.

This day and age £1m is a nominal fee. He doesn't pay much more than that Herbivore. Based on today's market that is going to get you a bang average league 2 player or top National Conference player? Can't argue with the business done so far still need a a couple more through the door, but let's not forget Spence and Huws were part of that underperforming side from last season, which finished 4 points above the bottom 3!

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:30 - Jul 27 with 6810 viewsHerbivore

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:20 - Jul 27 by christiand

This day and age £1m is a nominal fee. He doesn't pay much more than that Herbivore. Based on today's market that is going to get you a bang average league 2 player or top National Conference player? Can't argue with the business done so far still need a a couple more through the door, but let's not forget Spence and Huws were part of that underperforming side from last season, which finished 4 points above the bottom 3!

£1m is not a nominal fee. Look up what nominal fee means, mate, and stop trotting it out erroneously. Also, your logic suggest that Huws and Garner should be playing in mid table in League 2 or in the Conference which is just bizarre.

Huws and Spence were part of our best run of performances of the season. We tailed off very badly post-Newcastle to end with three defeats and being closer to the bottom 3 than we should but by and large the second half of the season saw some positives at times and we've permanently signed two of the biggest positives as well as bringing in others.

Yes, we need a striker. Everyone knows that. The club are trying to rectify it.

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:53 - Jul 27 with 6775 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:30 - Jul 27 by Herbivore

£1m is not a nominal fee. Look up what nominal fee means, mate, and stop trotting it out erroneously. Also, your logic suggest that Huws and Garner should be playing in mid table in League 2 or in the Conference which is just bizarre.

Huws and Spence were part of our best run of performances of the season. We tailed off very badly post-Newcastle to end with three defeats and being closer to the bottom 3 than we should but by and large the second half of the season saw some positives at times and we've permanently signed two of the biggest positives as well as bringing in others.

Yes, we need a striker. Everyone knows that. The club are trying to rectify it.

Honestly, you don't really take into consideration what the current market is doing and how it is operating? Open your eyes and take off your blue tinted glasses for a change! When you have rival Championship clubs that haven't had the luxury of the parachute payments recently like Bristol City or Wolves and they are spending money at a rate 'nominal' in the football transfer world sum up £1m perfectly. In the past, it would've been a significant amount, but not now!

Bottom line is I'm really not convinced we are in any better position squad wise from the end of last season. I think many of us are still in shock that ME has actually paid out a couple of 'nominal' transfer fees and the fact we did it early has blind sided many of us. We are hoping that the youngsters are going to step up, but that is a big ask in a tough and unforgiving league.

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:09 - Jul 27 with 6742 viewsJ2BLUE

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 20:53 - Jul 27 by christiand

Honestly, you don't really take into consideration what the current market is doing and how it is operating? Open your eyes and take off your blue tinted glasses for a change! When you have rival Championship clubs that haven't had the luxury of the parachute payments recently like Bristol City or Wolves and they are spending money at a rate 'nominal' in the football transfer world sum up £1m perfectly. In the past, it would've been a significant amount, but not now!

Bottom line is I'm really not convinced we are in any better position squad wise from the end of last season. I think many of us are still in shock that ME has actually paid out a couple of 'nominal' transfer fees and the fact we did it early has blind sided many of us. We are hoping that the youngsters are going to step up, but that is a big ask in a tough and unforgiving league.

ME has about £750m. Who knows how much of that is in liquid assets. He can't throw around tens of millions to compete with the mega rich who have billions to play around with. The game has changed since he became an owner. He was told a few million would be enough to get us up. I doubt he would have bought the club if he knew how the financial side would go. It's easy to have unlimited ambition with someone else's money. We are a loss making Championship club and I think the level of investment this summer has been fair enough. Lets hope there's a little more to come.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:09 - Jul 27 with 6743 viewsHerbivore

Nominal fees on League 2 level Huws and Garner, eh? You've gone to new lengths to make stuff up to be negative about.

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:15 - Jul 27 with 6731 viewsRegencyBlue

The jury's still out because there remains plenty of time for more signings to arrive. Having said that I'm not hopeful!

The problem is that even if we 'improve' our squad by our standards when all around us are spending big and doing the same we cannot make any meaningful headway. We are suffering from Evans failure to properly invest in the squad for nearly five years now.
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:17 - Jul 27 with 6712 viewsJ2BLUE

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:15 - Jul 27 by RegencyBlue

The jury's still out because there remains plenty of time for more signings to arrive. Having said that I'm not hopeful!

The problem is that even if we 'improve' our squad by our standards when all around us are spending big and doing the same we cannot make any meaningful headway. We are suffering from Evans failure to properly invest in the squad for nearly five years now.

Would you swap squads, management and owners with Wolves?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:20 - Jul 27 with 6707 viewsRegencyBlue

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:17 - Jul 27 by J2BLUE

Would you swap squads, management and owners with Wolves?

I'll wait and see what happens as far as Wolves are concerned but I have certainly had enough of Evans!
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 23:15 - Jul 27 with 6618 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:09 - Jul 27 by Herbivore

Nominal fees on League 2 level Huws and Garner, eh? You've gone to new lengths to make stuff up to be negative about.

Some don't like it when an honest opinion is given and instantly believe it's negative. You carry on Herbivore, believe we're in a decent position because we are getting left behind in this league. The reason being our owner's lack of proper investment in the team and his continuing scurrying around looking for basement bargains. Look carefully at transfer fees for players -this transfer window - fees of around £1m are spent on players in and around league 2. I'm not expecting him to go out and spend £5m, but if there is a player that MM wants, who will make a difference, above £1m even £2m e.g. Hugill, he never gets the deal done! Is that a coincidence? I think not!!

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 23:19 - Jul 27 with 6610 viewschristiand

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 21:09 - Jul 27 by J2BLUE

ME has about £750m. Who knows how much of that is in liquid assets. He can't throw around tens of millions to compete with the mega rich who have billions to play around with. The game has changed since he became an owner. He was told a few million would be enough to get us up. I doubt he would have bought the club if he knew how the financial side would go. It's easy to have unlimited ambition with someone else's money. We are a loss making Championship club and I think the level of investment this summer has been fair enough. Lets hope there's a little more to come.

Then make a concerted effort to sell the club ME. We can't be the only club in the league making a loss? However, that's an excuse many like to hang their hat on.

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 00:04 - Jul 28 with 6548 viewshoofer

This is absolutely how I see it.
Great post.
Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 05:09 - Jul 28 with 6472 viewsBenters

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 23:15 - Jul 27 by christiand

Some don't like it when an honest opinion is given and instantly believe it's negative. You carry on Herbivore, believe we're in a decent position because we are getting left behind in this league. The reason being our owner's lack of proper investment in the team and his continuing scurrying around looking for basement bargains. Look carefully at transfer fees for players -this transfer window - fees of around £1m are spent on players in and around league 2. I'm not expecting him to go out and spend £5m, but if there is a player that MM wants, who will make a difference, above £1m even £2m e.g. Hugill, he never gets the deal done! Is that a coincidence? I think not!!

Yeah but spending da moneyz dont work eh?

For every Brighton there is a Derby.

PJH if you are reading this you owe me a pint from last seasons bet.

Cheers.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 07:44 - Jul 28 with 6402 viewsHerbivore

Has MM been properly backed by ME this summer? on 23:15 - Jul 27 by christiand

The owner puts in £6m to £10m of his own money every season to cover the club's running costs. Obviously that's a pittance to a wealthy man such as yourself who considers such a level of investment to be pitiful and who thinks £1m is a nominal fee. Maybe you could buy the club and sink some proper money in instead of all this namby pamby multi-millions that ME is putting in?

Did we not bid £2m for Hugill back in January? I don't think £2m would get him now and on what I've seen I don't think he's worth the £3.5m to £4m that's been touted. I'd rather we get a couple more Huws or Garner type signings (I know in your eyes they're League 2 players, but I think they're pretty decent) than blow all that money on a fairly mediocre Championship striker. I'd also rather we get a quality Prem loan for a fraction of the cost than blow a chunk of cash like that on someone like Hugill.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024