Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook 21:51 - Jul 27 with 2569 viewsSteve_M

Cook was excellent today for England. We could do with more of the same tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jul/27/watching-alastair-cook-at-the

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 22:13 - Jul 27 with 2520 viewsgainsboroughblue

It was a great innings (and still is). Proper test match batting. It goes to show that putting a price on your wicket can still pay dividends and you don't have to be South African or Australian to do so. Make no mistake about it, Philander, Morkel and Rabada is as good an attack as there is anywhere in test cricket.

Some of the other players in that dressing room may want to take heed of that. Whether it is a technical or confidence issue, or whether or not they just aren't good enough, I don't know. It is sad to think that while we are saying 'so and so should be dropped' etc after their latest failing, it is very hard to think of who could come in and genuinely be better.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 22:19]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 22:33 - Jul 27 with 2484 viewsSteve_M

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 22:13 - Jul 27 by gainsboroughblue

It was a great innings (and still is). Proper test match batting. It goes to show that putting a price on your wicket can still pay dividends and you don't have to be South African or Australian to do so. Make no mistake about it, Philander, Morkel and Rabada is as good an attack as there is anywhere in test cricket.

Some of the other players in that dressing room may want to take heed of that. Whether it is a technical or confidence issue, or whether or not they just aren't good enough, I don't know. It is sad to think that while we are saying 'so and so should be dropped' etc after their latest failing, it is very hard to think of who could come in and genuinely be better.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2017 22:19]

Only really Jennings who looked totally out of place today, thought Westley did ok but probably should have been a little more circumspect immediately after lunch and Root and Malan got excellent balls. The score os a little disappointing but the manner England went about dealing with the conditions and bowling was a big improvement.

Was batting the right decision? Too early to tell I think, if we had put SA in and they were 180/3 that wouldn't have been a lot better. Perhaps a good toss to lose.

Tomorrow morning might define the Test though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 22:42 - Jul 27 with 2477 viewsgainsboroughblue

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 22:33 - Jul 27 by Steve_M

Only really Jennings who looked totally out of place today, thought Westley did ok but probably should have been a little more circumspect immediately after lunch and Root and Malan got excellent balls. The score os a little disappointing but the manner England went about dealing with the conditions and bowling was a big improvement.

Was batting the right decision? Too early to tell I think, if we had put SA in and they were 180/3 that wouldn't have been a lot better. Perhaps a good toss to lose.

Tomorrow morning might define the Test though.

There's an element of 'only a matter of time' with our wickets going down I feel and I don't see anyone in that top 6 bar Root and Cook who could bat for more than two sessions at the moment, good balls or not.

You're right about today though. The approach was different and if this was the last test, we'd have folded like a pack of cards post lunch. It was, in the main, excellent bowling and in Philander, they have someone who is more suited to English conditions than most.

4 down at the close could have been worse, but this partnership needs to yield another 50-75 at least to capitalise on what has so far been a handy partnership. There's a fair bit of rain about I think, so the draw could be the favourite result by default.

The toss is always a tricky call on days like today. I say again, tomorrow's continuation of the 5th wicket partnership will define whether or not that was a decent call. First hour is crucial once more.

Then you could have a Jimmy/Broad purple patch and run through them for not many. You never know I guess.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 23:06 - Jul 27 with 2456 viewsMenton

That's really well written.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 23:15 - Jul 27 with 2458 viewsGuthrum

Stokes has also acquired the ability to patiently accumulate, as well as his better known explosive scoring talent. Could be a good day tomorrow, if both he and Cook can hang around for some time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 08:19 - Jul 28 with 2344 viewsfactual_blue

Alistair's Letters From America were excellent pieces of broadcasting, and his new career as a cricketer seems to be going quite well.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 09:35 - Jul 28 with 2301 viewssolemio

A lovely piece by Barney Ronay on Alastair Cook on 08:19 - Jul 28 by factual_blue

Alistair's Letters From America were excellent pieces of broadcasting, and his new career as a cricketer seems to be going quite well.

Once you've taken on board Captain Mainwaring's personal message to you, then I can say that the original AC remains unsurpassed as a broadcaster.

His 15 minute talks were virtually unscripted. He didn't just think in sentences or even in paragraphs; he thought in chapters.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024