Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Style of play' 17:15 - Jul 30 with 9471 viewsJohnny_Boy

I can't see MM changing his pragmatic ways for this impending season. IMHO.

I anyone disagrees with me, feel free to discuss why you think otherwise.
'Style of play' on 17:22 - Jul 30 with 7254 viewsblueislander

Unusual use of the word "pragmatic" could you please explain ?
'Style of play' on 17:22 - Jul 30 with 7261 viewsSomethingBlue

I neither agree nor disagree — I'm going to wait and see what happens. We all think we can second-guess others but the majority of us are rubbish at it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

'Style of play' on 17:22 - Jul 30 with 7258 viewsGarv

Mick knows the only way to get the fans on side in the short term was talk about passing football.

Reality is the football will be the same, a means to an end...or a point.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

'Style of play' on 17:49 - Jul 30 with 7218 viewsJohnny_Boy

'Style of play' on 17:22 - Jul 30 by blueislander

Unusual use of the word "pragmatic" could you please explain ?

His brand is perhaps practical - avoiding all types of risk.

The fans made it clear last season the uninspiring style of play wouldn't be defended anymore. He's not silly. He understands that. But is he realistically able to do anything about it?
'Style of play' on 17:52 - Jul 30 with 7209 viewsSteve_M

'Style of play' on 17:49 - Jul 30 by Johnny_Boy

The fans made it clear last season the uninspiring style of play wouldn't be defended anymore. He's not silly. He understands that. But is he realistically able to do anything about it?

And yet we went to the best passing side in the league last season and played very openly. We lost at Fulham but it wasn't because we were 'pragmatic'.

The real issue is that we don't have a clear style of play and haven't consistently since the end of the 14/15 season. There have been odd spells that have worked and then it's slipped.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

'Style of play' on 17:57 - Jul 30 with 7181 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 17:49 - Jul 30 by Johnny_Boy

If it avoids all types of risk, how come we lose so many matches?
'Style of play' on 18:06 - Jul 30 with 7163 viewsPilgrimblue

'Style of play' on 17:52 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

And yet we went to the best passing side in the league last season and played very openly. We lost at Fulham but it wasn't because we were 'pragmatic'.

The real issue is that we don't have a clear style of play and haven't consistently since the end of the 14/15 season. There have been odd spells that have worked and then it's slipped.

That's very true and had Sears taken his chances we may not have lost.

MM realised that the style he likes wasn't working and so made attempts to change ie 532 and keeping ball on ground but when that didn't work he changed back. This seemed to affect the players confidence at times esp at QPR when it looked good then he reverted to plan A.
'Style of play' on 19:20 - Jul 30 with 7079 viewsJohnny_Boy

'Style of play' on 17:57 - Jul 30 by blueislander

There's a big difference sending a team out onto the pitch with the sole intention of "not losing", or setting your stalls out to go out & win.
Login to get fewer ads

'Style of play' on 19:26 - Jul 30 with 7061 viewsCoco

'Style of play' on 17:57 - Jul 30 by blueislander

Another polarised argument. Bravo. We all know as does everyone in the footballing universe that Mick plays a dull, defensive game of percentages. He is unlikely to ever change this.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

'Style of play' on 19:43 - Jul 30 with 7032 viewsJohnny_Boy

'Style of play' on 19:26 - Jul 30 by Coco

Another polarised argument. Bravo. We all know as does everyone in the footballing universe that Mick plays a dull, defensive game of percentages. He is unlikely to ever change this.

Blueislander is more than happy to disagree with me, but he's not put a particularly well-polished defence of Mick's 'swashbuckling' ethos.

It's all very well picking holes in my description of his stale brand, but even the die hard of MM fans can't keep defending it.
'Style of play' on 19:52 - Jul 30 with 7019 viewsPJH

From my personal point of view the only thing that I think needs to change from last season is a big improvement in results.
I am not in the least bothered about style of play, I just want to see my team win.

If the winning is accompanied by a flowing brand of football then fine but in my view it is the winning that matters as (in my view) it should be for any professional sports team/person.

I do not recall anytime in the last approaching 60 years that I have put 'style' ahead of results-several times over the years I have been lucky enough to have both but one far outweighs the other in my eyes.
'Style of play' on 19:58 - Jul 30 with 6999 viewsCoco

'Style of play' on 19:52 - Jul 30 by PJH

From my personal point of view the only thing that I think needs to change from last season is a big improvement in results.
I am not in the least bothered about style of play, I just want to see my team win.

If the winning is accompanied by a flowing brand of football then fine but in my view it is the winning that matters as (in my view) it should be for any professional sports team/person.

I do not recall anytime in the last approaching 60 years that I have put 'style' ahead of results-several times over the years I have been lucky enough to have both but one far outweighs the other in my eyes.

thats just weird to me but each to their own.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

'Style of play' on 20:02 - Jul 30 with 6987 viewsPJH

'Style of play' on 19:58 - Jul 30 by Coco

It actually seems weird to me that anyone that supports any football team does not put the result first.
A spectator or neutral would go for style but a supporter, I believe, should put their team winning ahead of anything else.

As you say, each to their own.
'Style of play' on 20:04 - Jul 30 with 6984 viewsYallop

'Style of play' on 19:52 - Jul 30 by PJH

I couldn't have put this any better myself. I agree 100%.

Regardless of long ball or tippy tappy I just want to see us challenging for promotion and ultimately playing in the Prem again before I peg it.
'Style of play' on 20:17 - Jul 30 with 6937 viewsCaptMickMills

Unfortunately I tend to agree
'Style of play' on 20:20 - Jul 30 with 6925 viewswkj

'Style of play' on 20:04 - Jul 30 by Yallop

I couldn't have put this any better myself. I agree 100%.

Regardless of long ball or tippy tappy I just want to see us challenging for promotion and ultimately playing in the Prem again before I peg it.

As do I, and then I want to see the Premier League die, and the whole league system combine under a one entity league structure (RIP: EPL vs EFL) I hold little hope that either is going to happen.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

'Style of play' on 20:21 - Jul 30 with 6927 viewsMark

Under Burley we played a very pragmatic style, passing attacking football. I reject the premise that long ball is more effective. However, I am not sure how capable McCarthy is of developing a passing side.
'Style of play' on 20:22 - Jul 30 with 6918 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 19:43 - Jul 30 by Johnny_Boy

Blueislander is more than happy to disagree with me, but he's not put a particularly well-polished defence of Mick's 'swashbuckling' ethos.

It's all very well picking holes in my description of his stale brand, but even the die hard of MM fans can't keep defending it.

I think that you have completely misunderstood me. I was appalled when McCarthy was appointed manager of Ipswich Town. I recognise the job he did in avoiding relegation, but after that, despite the reative sucees of the following season, the team has performed exactly as I feared.
'Style of play' on 20:23 - Jul 30 with 6909 viewsYallop

'Style of play' on 20:20 - Jul 30 by wkj

As do I, and then I want to see the Premier League die, and the whole league system combine under a one entity league structure (RIP: EPL vs EFL) I hold little hope that either is going to happen.

Can't say I worry about that stuff.

I'm just tired of travelling to the Barnsley's and Blackburn's and want to see us at Anfield or Old Trafford again.
'Style of play' on 20:26 - Jul 30 with 6890 viewsHerbivore

'Style of play' on 19:58 - Jul 30 by Coco

You think it's weird that an Ipswich fan's main concern is to see Ipswich win?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

'Style of play' on 20:29 - Jul 30 with 6870 viewsblueislander

'Style of play' on 20:20 - Jul 30 by wkj

Like you I would love that to happen, but, unfortunately , it is just pie in the sky.
'Style of play' on 20:42 - Jul 30 with 6836 viewsCoco

'Style of play' on 20:26 - Jul 30 by Herbivore

You think it's weird that an Ipswich fan's main concern is to see Ipswich win?

I agree that the result comes first but ultimately i want the club to a philosophy and a culture. In a one off game by all means play it long and play it ugly in order to win but surely you need to actually have a long term plan dont you? It seems incredibly short sighted to just instruct your team on a game by game basis to just role up your sleeves and grab those three points! The foundations of the club should be built on a solid philosophy. Simplistic to just say its only the result that matters because that's patently obvious.

But thats just me. And maybe cruyff, robson and ferguson.....

😏

'Style of play' on 20:51 - Jul 30 with 6819 viewsPJH

'Style of play' on 20:42 - Jul 30 by Coco

I agree that the result comes first but ultimately i want the club to a philosophy and a culture. In a one off game by all means play it long and play it ugly in order to win but surely you need to actually have a long term plan dont you? It seems incredibly short sighted to just instruct your team on a game by game basis to just role up your sleeves and grab those three points! The foundations of the club should be built on a solid philosophy. Simplistic to just say its only the result that matters because that's patently obvious.

But thats just me. And maybe cruyff, robson and ferguson.....

😏

But if you are agreeing that its only the result that matters why does it matter how it is achieved?

I do not know how old you are so I do not know how much you saw of SBR's teams but a lot of his early success was built on playing the ball forward to Trevor Whymatk and having hard running midfield players-sorry if I am telling you something that you witnessed yourself.

Cruyff was different because he was part of the Ajax and Dutch National team total football so I do not doubt that he would not be partial to the long ball game.
'Style of play' on 21:00 - Jul 30 with 6804 viewsJohnny_Boy

'Style of play' on 20:51 - Jul 30 by PJH

But if you are agreeing that its only the result that matters why does it matter how it is achieved?

I do not know how old you are so I do not know how much you saw of SBR's teams but a lot of his early success was built on playing the ball forward to Trevor Whymatk and having hard running midfield players-sorry if I am telling you something that you witnessed yourself.

Cruyff was different because he was part of the Ajax and Dutch National team total football so I do not doubt that he would not be partial to the long ball game.

I think we're all agreed to suggest that the best players cost the most money.
The more you spend, you'd naturally think the squad will improve.
Yes, there are notable exceptions, but as a whole - you want goals, you spend 50m+ on a striker.

If you don't have that kind of elite money, you need to nurture that improvement organically. I don't think that is happening.
'Style of play' on 21:05 - Jul 30 with 6792 viewsCoco

'Style of play' on 20:51 - Jul 30 by PJH

No thats a fair point. I think the difference with Robson is that he had the ability to mix it up and played 'clever' football if you like. He knew how to exploit weaknesess and was always thinking long term. Buying promising young players to fit to a system that will improve year on year as he proved here and with Newcastle. Burley followed this.

My problem with Mick is that he is stubbornly one dimensional and when it isnt working its just awful to watch. It's predictable. It annoys that that every year its almost screw it up and start again. Short termism is what has killed us since ME imho.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024