Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson 12:58 - Jul 31 with 3515 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Good on the BBC for putting a context on the England results and showing us that Mark Sampson is the best England manager since Sir Alf;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40769996

What a load of tosh. Why do the BBC always have to compare the results of the womens team to the history of the mens team? Bizarre.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 12:59 - Jul 31 with 3493 viewsLesta_Tractor

I'm glad the ladies team is doing well and that ladies football is gaining in popularity but I really wish the bbc and the newspapers would keep the two sports seperate on their websites.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:03 - Jul 31 with 3470 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 12:59 - Jul 31 by Lesta_Tractor

I'm glad the ladies team is doing well and that ladies football is gaining in popularity but I really wish the bbc and the newspapers would keep the two sports seperate on their websites.

I have watched some of the matches and enjoyed them for what they are. Glad to see them doing well.

I'm not fussed about them sharing news paper pages or web sites, I just dont see why the BBC especially always compare the records in the womens game with those set in the mens game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:11 - Jul 31 with 3429 viewsitfcjoe

It's a new PC world where they pretend women's football is the same as men's football. Where England's most capped player is no longer Peter Shilton but is now Fara Williams.

If it was truly equal the women would play with the men and see where they end up.....

FWIW - I am glad the women's game is growing, and that they are doing well. I generally find it boring to watch though.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:29 - Jul 31 with 3364 viewssurreyblue

There are loads of sports where we talk about the men's and women's versions in the same breath - athletics, swimming, tennis, sailing, rowing, cycling etc. etc. etc. The quality difference still exists, Laura Trott would be miles behind the men in the pursuit events, but that doesn't mean she is seen as less successful than someone who achieved a similar result in the men's sport?
Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:38 - Jul 31 with 3320 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:29 - Jul 31 by surreyblue

There are loads of sports where we talk about the men's and women's versions in the same breath - athletics, swimming, tennis, sailing, rowing, cycling etc. etc. etc. The quality difference still exists, Laura Trott would be miles behind the men in the pursuit events, but that doesn't mean she is seen as less successful than someone who achieved a similar result in the men's sport?

I dont think your post makes sense.

When do people ever compare the womens 100m olympic medal winner to Usain Bolt?

They have distinct world records for example.

I think your post actually proves my point.

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:44 - Jul 31 with 3293 viewsLesta_Tractor

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:03 - Jul 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I have watched some of the matches and enjoyed them for what they are. Glad to see them doing well.

I'm not fussed about them sharing news paper pages or web sites, I just dont see why the BBC especially always compare the records in the womens game with those set in the mens game.

I open the guardian website to see a headline like

"Liverpool sign England Striker"

I click on the link and see that it's womens football

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:04 - Jul 31 with 3225 viewsTJS

I actually quite like the way the women's international football tournaments are proper separate events rather than just being tagged onto the men's event in a desperate attempt to get male viewers like other sports do.
For example the last stage of the Tour De France when viewers tuning in at the start were forced to listen to a half hour lecture on women's cycling.
Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:12 - Jul 31 with 3199 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 13:38 - Jul 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think your post makes sense.

When do people ever compare the womens 100m olympic medal winner to Usain Bolt?

They have distinct world records for example.

I think your post actually proves my point.

Exactly. Can anyone name a past winner of the women's Tour de France?
People have a limited amount of time in which they can watch sport so naturally they will gravitate towards what they (rightly) see as a superior product.
The BBC actually do women's sport a disservice by making these ludicrous comparisons.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:39 - Jul 31 with 3134 viewssurreyblue

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:12 - Jul 31 by Radlett_blue

Exactly. Can anyone name a past winner of the women's Tour de France?
People have a limited amount of time in which they can watch sport so naturally they will gravitate towards what they (rightly) see as a superior product.
The BBC actually do women's sport a disservice by making these ludicrous comparisons.

It would be hard to do so given there isn't a woman's Tour de France. But the point around people gravitating towards higher ability isn't necessarily fair either - I reckon most people could name as many (if not more) heptathletes than decathletes, or female hockey players than male even though every decathlete would wipe the floor with the heptathletes. I'm not suggesting they should be morphed into one sport, and that the England male and female records should be amalgamated, but the comparisons are fine by me (same way the most successful Olympians contain both male and female athletes).
Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 15:10 - Jul 31 with 3077 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:39 - Jul 31 by surreyblue

It would be hard to do so given there isn't a woman's Tour de France. But the point around people gravitating towards higher ability isn't necessarily fair either - I reckon most people could name as many (if not more) heptathletes than decathletes, or female hockey players than male even though every decathlete would wipe the floor with the heptathletes. I'm not suggesting they should be morphed into one sport, and that the England male and female records should be amalgamated, but the comparisons are fine by me (same way the most successful Olympians contain both male and female athletes).

I think its does the women a disservice.

If you said that Fara WIlliams is 'the most capped England footballer', its just not a like for like basis.

The vast majority of her caps were earned during the amateur era of the sport.

There is no benefit in comparing one with the other. Unless you are Mark Sampson and trying to bolster the value of your CV.

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 15:12 - Jul 31 with 3075 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:04 - Jul 31 by TJS

I actually quite like the way the women's international football tournaments are proper separate events rather than just being tagged onto the men's event in a desperate attempt to get male viewers like other sports do.
For example the last stage of the Tour De France when viewers tuning in at the start were forced to listen to a half hour lecture on women's cycling.

I agree. Pity the BBC dont.

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 16:38 - Jul 31 with 3012 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 14:39 - Jul 31 by surreyblue

There was a female Tour de France equivalent between 1984 & 2009, with a few omissions, largely down to lack of sponsorship.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 17:17 - Jul 31 with 2974 viewsTJS

Mark Sampson v Sir Bobby Robson on 16:38 - Jul 31 by Radlett_blue

There was a female Tour de France equivalent between 1984 & 2009, with a few omissions, largely down to lack of sponsorship.

Exactly - the lack of sponsorship is due to lack of interest.
And it's totally unfair to lay the blame at male sports fans for this.
The simple fact is that most women's sports are so far behind men's sports because WOMEN are not interested in watching them let alone men.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024