Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London types.. 15:02 - Aug 1 with 8086 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I am down in the big smoke this weekend.. Booked a nice little place in near Shoreditch high street station, having enjoyed it a few years ago when I was last near the area.

I don't have a beard, tattoos or play synth in an all vegan electronica band, but does anyone have any suggestions for the Shoreditch, Hoxton, Bethnal Green area? Places to eat, things see etc. etc.

I will be doing the obvious, like Brick lane market, probably check out box park but if any of you hipster and trendy types can supply some wisdom that would be great
London types.. on 15:14 - Aug 1 with 6680 viewsgiant_stow

You have it covered I reckon and I'm too old to reccomend specific places. My only tip would be, if bored get a train to hackney wick and check out the various bars alongside the river lee opposite the olympic stadium - the whole area feels like Hoxton did 15 years ago.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 15:17]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London types.. on 15:17 - Aug 1 with 6652 viewsfooters

Not hipster at all, but go to Tayyabs or Lahore on Commercial Rd for an Indian. Best places by miles.

There's a decent gastropub in Whitechapel called the White Hart. Pricey but decent food, great selection of beers.

As for nightlife, depends what you're after. I'm not cool enough to be in those places long, but if you're into indie/rock gigs can help you out with some good ones.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London types.. on 15:20 - Aug 1 with 6636 viewsCoastalblue

Borough Market is good for a wander during the day, very touristy but nice none the less and wouldn't take too long to get across to there. There's a Breakfast Club near there too if you go in the morning and don't mind a short queue.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

London types.. on 15:22 - Aug 1 with 6635 viewsHackneyblueboy

Lots of places to try in and around Shoreditch/Bethnal Green.

I would recommend heading down to Broadway market, a bit touristy now but lots of good food stalls in the day and bars and restaurants for the evening.

Also head to Hackney road/Columbia road for some good bars and restaurants. Would recommend Morito, Dishoom, Andina, Som Saa (which is near spitalfields market) for food. Most of these places don't take bookings though so be prepared to wait.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 15:23]
London types.. on 15:26 - Aug 1 with 6601 viewsStokieBlue

London types.. on 15:14 - Aug 1 by giant_stow

You have it covered I reckon and I'm too old to reccomend specific places. My only tip would be, if bored get a train to hackney wick and check out the various bars alongside the river lee opposite the olympic stadium - the whole area feels like Hoxton did 15 years ago.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 15:17]

Been meaning to do this for ages.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London types.. on 15:29 - Aug 1 with 6592 viewsgiant_stow

London types.. on 15:26 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

Been meaning to do this for ages.

SB

Well worth it - loads of interesting little places there and also boats (I love boats!)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London types.. on 15:30 - Aug 1 with 6589 viewsCoastalblue

London types.. on 15:29 - Aug 1 by giant_stow

Well worth it - loads of interesting little places there and also boats (I love boats!)

Ullaa did you see De La Soul are playing the Blackheath thing? It is you that likes them isn't it or did I get that wrong?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

London types.. on 15:35 - Aug 1 with 6575 viewsSE1blue

Wife and I go here on a regular basis...amazing coffee and crepes.

Open Saturdays but closed on Sundays.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d6549087-Reviews-The_Cre

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Login to get fewer ads

London types.. on 15:36 - Aug 1 with 6563 viewsgiant_stow

London types.. on 15:30 - Aug 1 by Coastalblue

Ullaa did you see De La Soul are playing the Blackheath thing? It is you that likes them isn't it or did I get that wrong?

I love De La Soul and no I didn't! Thanks loads for the tip off!

Edit: 9th of sept hey? I'd better get saving - straight after the holidays.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 15:38]

London types.. on 15:48 - Aug 1 with 6522 viewsSteve_M

The World Athletics Championships starts this weekend so just be aware of that with crowds.

Sounds like you have enough suggestions but go for walk along the canal(s) if you have time, nice way to spend a few hours and plenty of decent pubs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

London types.. on 15:51 - Aug 1 with 6496 viewsCoastalblue

London types.. on 15:48 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

The World Athletics Championships starts this weekend so just be aware of that with crowds.

Sounds like you have enough suggestions but go for walk along the canal(s) if you have time, nice way to spend a few hours and plenty of decent pubs.

If walking along Regents Canal then highly recccomend this place

http://arepaandco.com/

Got a lot busier over the last couple of years, but for good reason. Sometimes spend a summer Sunday walking there and back from Limehouse with lunch and a couple of mojitos in the middle.

London types.. on 15:56 - Aug 1 with 6473 viewsBLUEBEAT

Spitalfields Market isn't far. Usually something interesting on there. Traders change depending on theme but always plenty of quality food/drink. I usually go for the record fairs (they're on Fridays) but also frequent the vintage fairs and when the brands roll in (picked up brand new Adidas Bermuda suedes for £20 last month).

Poll: W or W

London types.. on 16:15 - Aug 1 with 6444 viewsMuswellblue

Personally I'd recommend Frankie goes to Bollywood or On the bab if you fancy something different.
If not dishoom is always a winner!
London types.. on 16:26 - Aug 1 with 6417 viewsSteve_M

London types.. on 15:51 - Aug 1 by Coastalblue

If walking along Regents Canal then highly recccomend this place

http://arepaandco.com/

Got a lot busier over the last couple of years, but for good reason. Sometimes spend a summer Sunday walking there and back from Limehouse with lunch and a couple of mojitos in the middle.

I've never made it quite that far along the canal, I'll have a look one of these days.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

on 16:29 - Aug 1 with 6406 views_

London types.. on 16:35 - Aug 1 with 6380 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

London types.. on 15:17 - Aug 1 by footers

Not hipster at all, but go to Tayyabs or Lahore on Commercial Rd for an Indian. Best places by miles.

There's a decent gastropub in Whitechapel called the White Hart. Pricey but decent food, great selection of beers.

As for nightlife, depends what you're after. I'm not cool enough to be in those places long, but if you're into indie/rock gigs can help you out with some good ones.

Not sure on Tayyabs anymore. Quite good for big groups but thought it went downhill last time I was in.
London types.. on 16:38 - Aug 1 with 6374 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

on 16:29 - Aug 1 by _

I take great offence to that.. *

*He says whilst eating a carrot, sat in a tractor..
London types.. on 16:40 - Aug 1 with 6369 viewsStokieBlue

on 16:29 - Aug 1 by _

Valid point.

However I was cycling along last night and as soon as you leave anywhere green or the canals it's incredibly noticeable how the air is worse.

So big smoke actually quite apt if for a different reason.

SB

London types.. on 16:44 - Aug 1 with 6345 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

London types.. on 16:40 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

Valid point.

However I was cycling along last night and as soon as you leave anywhere green or the canals it's incredibly noticeable how the air is worse.

So big smoke actually quite apt if for a different reason.

SB

For the size of London I don't think its that bad really compared to some other cities.
London types.. on 16:46 - Aug 1 with 6332 viewsMuswellblue

London types.. on 16:35 - Aug 1 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Not sure on Tayyabs anymore. Quite good for big groups but thought it went downhill last time I was in.

The chef has moved to Needoo's which (according to my gf who works in Aldgate) is now better.
London types.. on 16:47 - Aug 1 with 6327 viewsStokieBlue

London types.. on 16:44 - Aug 1 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

For the size of London I don't think its that bad really compared to some other cities.

Don't you live in the US and not cycle in London?

I would tend to agree, there are far worse places but I think London is certainly getting worse and it's much more noticeable when cycling I feel.

SB

London types.. on 16:49 - Aug 1 with 6320 viewsfooters

London types.. on 16:35 - Aug 1 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Haven't been in for a few months now, but if Muswell's right that could well be the case.

One thing I never liked was the memory tricks by the waiters. Could be impressive remembering 10 people's orders at one time but a lot of the time they forgot quite a few things. Just write it down, ffs.

Will have to go back and investigate.

London types.. on 16:55 - Aug 1 with 6302 viewsfooters

London types.. on 16:47 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

I would tend to agree, there are far worse places but I think London is certainly getting worse and it's much more noticeable when cycling I feel.

SB

Lived here for 10 years and wouldn't cycle anywhere, to be honest. Respect to those who do but I really don't need the added stress of potential death before my second coffee.

Got to be a headache in terms of getting that cycling infrastructure in place for such an expensive/geographically strange place but something has to give.

Agree that the city's been getting worse year on year. Not sure whether it's just nostalgia but things were so much better when I first arrived.

London types.. on 16:56 - Aug 1 with 6297 viewsHerbivore

Definitely eat at Dishoom, it's great for dinner or breakfast.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

London types.. on 18:55 - Aug 1 with 6171 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

London types.. on 16:47 - Aug 1 by StokieBlue

SB

I am in London a few times a year, when I go I tend to breath in the air. Lived in Southern California for 15 months, try LA, awful especially at rush hour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024