Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' 15:45 - Aug 1 with 2247 viewsNewsTWTD

Blog: 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' 1st Aug 2017 15:40
There has been a lot of coverage of late of the anniversary of the partial decriminalisation of homosexuality in England in 1967 and much of it celebrates how far we have come in this country in terms of equality and acceptance. 18

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 16:09 - Aug 1 with 2195 viewsSuperfrans

Brilliant blog. And I totally agree - I can't imagine any of our players having any problem with a gay player. And anyone who did would quickly be admonished, or ostracized by the rest of the team/squad.

I know plenty of gay football fans (including one or two Town ones) and it's simply not an issue among us and their other friends.

And I dare say that the first gay footballers would be widely admired by fans, both their own and opposing fans - I dare say they'd get a few cheers and rounds of applause, even among away fans.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

on 16:13 - Aug 1 with 2188 views_

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 16:09 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

Brilliant blog. And I totally agree - I can't imagine any of our players having any problem with a gay player. And anyone who did would quickly be admonished, or ostracized by the rest of the team/squad.

I know plenty of gay football fans (including one or two Town ones) and it's simply not an issue among us and their other friends.

And I dare say that the first gay footballers would be widely admired by fans, both their own and opposing fans - I dare say they'd get a few cheers and rounds of applause, even among away fans.

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 17:01 - Aug 1 with 2102 viewsSuperfrans

on 16:13 - Aug 1 by _

You're right. But even casual homophobia would be eradicated if it became a bigger issue within the game.

This might sound counter-intuitive, but the coming out of a top flight player (or 2, 3, 4) would raise the profile of the issue to the extent that I think that the people who chant that would think twice. Most football fans sway with the crowd - the fact that there are no out players, that it is (apparently) a wholly heterosexual environment emboldens certain fans to think its fair game to behave in a certain way, in the safety of a football crowd. The reality is, these same people wouldn't dream of behaving that way in a general crowd.

The outpouring of support for any players who came out would totally change that. It would be clear that this isn't accepted and it wouldn't happen - or if it did, it would be snuffed out pretty quickly.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 18:23 - Aug 1 with 2039 viewstextbackup

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 16:09 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

You just know whoever is the first to come out will end up drawing Millwall away in the fa cup!

It really shouldn't be an issue should it, that said fans (some) can't be fcking horrible

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 18:42 - Aug 1 with 2010 viewsslump

on 16:13 - Aug 1 by _

Down vote?

There's very little if nothing to disagree with this post.

Professional football is way behind the general progressional view on homosexuality that we have witnessed in the last few decades.

UTT

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 18:48 - Aug 1 with 1988 viewsTristan90

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 17:01 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

You're right. But even casual homophobia would be eradicated if it became a bigger issue within the game.

This might sound counter-intuitive, but the coming out of a top flight player (or 2, 3, 4) would raise the profile of the issue to the extent that I think that the people who chant that would think twice. Most football fans sway with the crowd - the fact that there are no out players, that it is (apparently) a wholly heterosexual environment emboldens certain fans to think its fair game to behave in a certain way, in the safety of a football crowd. The reality is, these same people wouldn't dream of behaving that way in a general crowd.

The outpouring of support for any players who came out would totally change that. It would be clear that this isn't accepted and it wouldn't happen - or if it did, it would be snuffed out pretty quickly.

I think you're absolutely right. There are chants against Brighton but they're nebulous in the sense that they seem harmless and aren't really directed at anyone in particular and I totally agree that the fact that it seems to be such a heterosexual environment renders them harmless in most people's eyes. I really do think that you're right that this would change if there was actually an out-gay player; it would suddenly become much more personal and focus minds a bit.

Blog: Something Rotten

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 19:53 - Aug 1 with 1923 viewsSteve_M

[Blog] 'Gay Footballers? No, the Fans Wouldn't Have It' on 17:01 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

Yes, I had the same thought when reading that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024