Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't think I know much about football 17:18 - Aug 1 with 6722 viewsLimitlessBlue

I mean, I have supported Ipswich all my life, been a ST holder for 30+ years and followed away for a few seasons mid way in to that (before finances dictated away trips and my fear of the outside world) but I swear when a new player we are interested in comes about and this place is awash with folk writing detailed descriptions and getting hard-ons thinking of how wonderful Player A is going to be for us (Note. This Currant Bunn geezer is just a link from a hack at the moment) I think to myself, I have never heard of him?!

Then someone says, "He'll fit nicely into the team", "He's hardworking", "Is a decent chap" I mean wtf?! maybe it is my age or something or maybe ITFC over the past few seasons of utter dross have killed my love and interest of football but some of you folk know so much about football that either you just read up on any player that is mentioned and profess to be his biggest fan (which is pretty pointless), or you do genuinelly know a lot about football. Lots of folk know so much about Bunn and considering he has not played all that many games in the division we are in I am monstrously impressed.

I tip my hat to you all x

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

I don't think I know much about football on 17:22 - Aug 1 with 6238 viewswkj

To be honest I think it is a bit of optimism speaking which is in short supply... do not worry though, once a signing actually happens, the optimism turns into to gloom and everyone will be discussing why we wasted money on a nobody - its just the circle of strife that is being a town fan

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I don't think I know much about football on 17:41 - Aug 1 with 6164 viewsLimitlessBlue

I don't think I know much about football on 17:22 - Aug 1 by wkj

To be honest I think it is a bit of optimism speaking which is in short supply... do not worry though, once a signing actually happens, the optimism turns into to gloom and everyone will be discussing why we wasted money on a nobody - its just the circle of strife that is being a town fan

thanks, I was beginning to feel not worthy to be around such great football minds!

I don't think I know much about football on 17:55 - Aug 1 with 6117 viewsGeoffSentence

You are not alone in this. I live in an Ipswich bubble when it comes to football and I have little idea about any of the players we get linked with.

It may be a crumb of comfort to be in the same company as me. Or then again, it might not.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I don't think I know much about football on 18:10 - Aug 1 with 6054 viewsWickets

Well i more or less agree with you but odd players stick in your mind, as with Freddy Sears, Alan Judge is a player i always hoped we would sign, i also remember watching Hibs a couple of times on the telly and pleased when i thought we might sign Mcginn this season. Garner most fans would have seen him for Preston and on the Sky advert Other than those and a few others your right but it is easy to google a player and make a judgement as to if you fancy him or not.
I don't think I know much about football on 18:20 - Aug 1 with 6018 viewstextbackup

Same, never heard of him either. Also see Luke chambers, Berra, etc etc. Not a clue who they were

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I don't think I know much about football on 18:36 - Aug 1 with 5974 viewsLimitlessBlue

I don't think I know much about football on 18:10 - Aug 1 by Wickets

Well i more or less agree with you but odd players stick in your mind, as with Freddy Sears, Alan Judge is a player i always hoped we would sign, i also remember watching Hibs a couple of times on the telly and pleased when i thought we might sign Mcginn this season. Garner most fans would have seen him for Preston and on the Sky advert Other than those and a few others your right but it is easy to google a player and make a judgement as to if you fancy him or not.

Google images is good for me to see if I fancy a player or not, depends on hair colour and complexion!

I don't think I know much about football on 18:44 - Aug 1 with 5948 viewstextbackup

I don't think I know much about football on 18:36 - Aug 1 by LimitlessBlue

Google images is good for me to see if I fancy a player or not, depends on hair colour and complexion!

That, and also wait for Joe to give a thumbs up or not, if he's happy I start believing it's a decent signing lol.
Remember him saying Bru wasn't all that, turns out after a decent season he's spot on

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I don't think I know much about football on 18:47 - Aug 1 with 5927 viewsJ2BLUE

Agreed, i've often made the same point. I follow football very closely and watch most games on tv yet it never fails to amaze me how many claim to know every player we're linked with

Some are genuinely knowledgeable...others I suspect either do some basic googling and exaggerate their knowledge or base it on their Football Manager stats...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

I don't think I know much about football on 18:55 - Aug 1 with 5889 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I think playing Fifa and watching pretty much every championship match possible helps

Saying that, id only seen Bunn play 6 or 7 times but he looks useful.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I don't think I know much about football on 20:46 - Aug 1 with 5755 viewsGarv

Bunn is generally renowned for being a mid to decent level young championship player. I'd argue most fans know of him and his best attributes.

See your point but an odd example for me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I don't think I know much about football on 21:20 - Aug 1 with 5677 viewsDinnernotTea

I don't think I know much about football on 20:46 - Aug 1 by Garv

Bunn is generally renowned for being a mid to decent level young championship player. I'd argue most fans know of him and his best attributes.

Pretty much guarantee no one remembers watching a single game he's played in. That's not to say if he's good or not, but unless Ipswich fans lived in Huddersfield it's unlikely anyone knows of him.

Which is why not a single person has mentioned his name all summer.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

I don't think I know much about football on 21:44 - Aug 1 with 5610 viewsLimitlessBlue

I don't think I know much about football on 21:20 - Aug 1 by DinnernotTea

Pretty much guarantee no one remembers watching a single game he's played in. That's not to say if he's good or not, but unless Ipswich fans lived in Huddersfield it's unlikely anyone knows of him.

I'm pleased you said that!

I don't think I know much about football on 23:52 - Aug 1 with 5452 viewsSarge

Play FIFA. You'll know everything about everyone then.
I don't think I know much about football on 00:10 - Aug 2 with 5427 viewsGarv

I don't think I know much about football on 21:20 - Aug 1 by DinnernotTea

I remember watching him play against us. If that counts?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I don't think I know much about football on 00:22 - Aug 2 with 5413 viewsLord_Lucan

I think it's an age thing. When I was young I seemed to know everything about every player in at least the top two divisions, this was probably helped by football cards in the same way that FIFA game thing does now.

Nowadays I probably couldn't name just one player from every club in the prem.

Things get worse, I couldn't name our first team by looking at them.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I don't think I know much about football on 01:40 - Aug 2 with 5371 viewsKilburnBlue

I normally go on forums to see what the player is like.

Many Huddersfield seem to like Bunn going by what Ive seen in this thread.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/105345/summer-2017-transfer-thread?page

I don't think I know much about football on 07:45 - Aug 2 with 5283 viewsSteve_M

Yes, exactly. I don't know a lot about him but have seen bits of him play.

I imagine that a lot of us at least watch most of the Championship (or whatever it's called this year) highlights most weeks and try to take note of opposition players.

Also geographical dispersion means that some fans might be more aware of players who play, or played, for clubs in the area they live. And sometimes people do some research, see Mullet's blog.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I don't think I know much about football on 07:49 - Aug 2 with 5262 viewschicoazul

I often feelt his way too so you are not alone. A lot of it comes from the computer games this lot play endlessly by the way rather than any insight or knowledge.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I don't think I know much about football on 07:51 - Aug 2 with 5256 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brilliant OP .

There are a lot of internet experts out there. There are probably a few real ones too, but it's hard to tell them apart. I watch about 30-40 live games every year across the PL to L1, and it's rare that I've especially noticed players were linked with, let alone have a full break down of their vital statistics.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I don't think I know much about football on 07:56 - Aug 2 with 5236 viewsPlums

I've never heard of him TBH. I now feel very inadequate.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I don't think I know much about football on 08:19 - Aug 2 with 5176 viewsitfcjoe

I'd say I know a good chunk of players based in English league as watch a lot of it and research a lot of it also. Outside of England I'm pretty poor - not helped by CL moving away from ITV so I barely can tell you players at the top European clubs but know about Luton Town....!

With regards to Bunn, I went to Hudds a couple of years back and they were excellent, although we won 1-0. Their front 4 players ran us ragged and we were very lucky - Wells was the most impressive that day but didn't think bunn was far behind and caused Chambers problems down his side.

Ultimately a lot is a leap of faith though - youngish, decent pedigree, scored a few goals and know that he is relatively quick and works hard so assume he'll be a decent addition

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I don't think I know much about football on 08:31 - Aug 2 with 5147 viewsPJH

I don't think I know much about football on 00:22 - Aug 2 by Lord_Lucan

I think it's an age thing. When I was young I seemed to know everything about every player in at least the top two divisions, this was probably helped by football cards in the same way that FIFA game thing does now.

Nowadays I probably couldn't name just one player from every club in the prem.

Things get worse, I couldn't name our first team by looking at them.

It is an age thing and presumably memory.
For instance I could name the Burnley first choice side from 1961/62 without checking but I could not name half of the current Burnley side.

Not sure what that says about me or about Burnley.
I don't think I know much about football on 08:42 - Aug 2 with 5104 viewsBluebell

I don't think I know much about football on 08:31 - Aug 2 by PJH

It is an age thing and presumably memory.
For instance I could name the Burnley first choice side from 1961/62 without checking but I could not name half of the current Burnley side.

Not sure what that says about me or about Burnley.

Definitely an age thing.

We can be driving home after a game and I can't remember any of the names of the players from the opposing team. I will just say "Their number 9 was good".

Then I read Mullet's report and he knows all the player's names, ages and inside leg measurements.

Having seen some of the pics Phil has put up of the pre-season games, I failed to name half of our players too!
I don't think I know much about football on 08:44 - Aug 2 with 5095 viewsNo9

Thank you, that is something I wanted to say but never found the words.
I have often been surpried at how some player I have never heard of can be deemed by others to be the answer to be- all of a sudden- the panacea to all thet is needed at ITFC to completely change Town's fortunes.
Frankly speaking I have not heard of many of the players that turn up so I make no judgement until I have seen them play in ITFC blue & white.
It has not been unusual over the relative past to wonder who ever saw what in any particular player.
It is that which has made me question the competency of Town's scouting staff not my wonderous knowledge of who plays for who and would be the next best acquisition.
I don't think I know much about football on 10:50 - Aug 2 with 4914 viewsWickets

I don't think I know much about football on 08:42 - Aug 2 by Bluebell

Definitely an age thing.

We can be driving home after a game and I can't remember any of the names of the players from the opposing team. I will just say "Their number 9 was good".

Then I read Mullet's report and he knows all the player's names, ages and inside leg measurements.

Having seen some of the pics Phil has put up of the pre-season games, I failed to name half of our players too!

Just out of intrest Bluebell why are you intrested in their inside leg measurement, and yes i still can't spell!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024