Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Following on from itfcjoe's thread... 13:26 - Aug 3 with 6397 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What does everyone think constitutes an acceptable season this time around for Mick to have his contract extended?

For me - if we finish top 10, having flirted with the playoffs for part of the season with a more clearly defined style than last (not expecting Barcelona but back similar to when we were good a couple of years ago would be fine) and the likes of Dozzell getting more minutes and I'd think it is warranted. That may be setting the bar a bit low for some, but given the budget I think that would constitute a very reasonable effort

A win over that lot from up the A140 would be nice too (I won't ask for a cup run as accept this won't happen!)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:28 - Aug 3 with 6006 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah think that's about right.

Unfortunately the chances of that happening are pretty slim IMO.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:29 - Aug 3 with 6001 viewswkj

I think anything short of finishing Top 2 would probably leave a lot of fans pissed off if the contract was renewed. That said, if can we be entertaining and reliable - who knows
[Post edited 3 Aug 2017 13:30]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:30 - Aug 3 with 5989 viewsReuser_is_God

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:29 - Aug 3 by wkj

I think anything short of finishing Top 2 would probably leave a lot of fans pissed off if the contract was renewed. That said, if can we be entertaining and reliable - who knows

'I think anything short of finishing Top 2 would probably leave a lot of fans pissed off if the contract was renewed.'

Utter bollox

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:31 - Aug 3 with 5978 viewsclive_baker

If we showed more willingness to attack, create, throw a bit more caution and a less direct style of football that saw us finish in the top half and bring on players like Webster, Kenlock, Dozzell, Nydam and Rowe I would say that would be a decent season. A win against the budgies would be lovely too.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:31 - Aug 3 with 5977 viewsElderGrizzly

I think anything top 12, but with the scenario you describe about style, kids coming through etc would do for me.

At the end of the season if that played out, there would then be an interesting decision to make. Do we trigger Mick's 2 year extension or not?
Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:32 - Aug 3 with 5961 viewswkj

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:30 - Aug 3 by Reuser_is_God

'I think anything short of finishing Top 2 would probably leave a lot of fans pissed off if the contract was renewed.'

Utter bollox

Personally do I think that? No, but just looking at the vitriol on a lot of news stories, I genuinely feel that is what it would take to sway a lot of those folks

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:34 - Aug 3 with 5944 viewsSteve_M

Yes, mainly that. Establishing a clear pattern of play and largely sticking to it would make a big difference, let partnerships develop and regain some of the identity as a side we've lost in the last couple of seasons.

Add a couple more players but bring youngsters through (Mick will still have done a a good job with Kenlock even when Knudsen starts on Saturday) rather than over-filling the squad.

And win a few more home matches, we only just managed to win more home matches across 15-16 and 16-17 than in 14-15. A cup run might help here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:35 - Aug 3 with 5936 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:29 - Aug 3 by wkj

I think we'll try to be entertaining for 3 games, when MM will trot out a line about 'needs must' or being 'more combative' and Mick will revert to tried and tested methods.

I was pretty positive when we signed Garner that ME was being serious about getting us up but it stagnated pretty fast.

I think we'll struggle to stay out of the bottom 3 and MM will finish his contract irrespective of results.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:38 - Aug 3 with 5916 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Top half finish, and attempt to play attractive football, and blood some of the younger players.

The reality is that we are a relatively small championship club, with a modest level of investment in wages and transfer fees.

I suspect our budget is bottom half of the table, so any out performance of that would be good.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:39 - Aug 3 with 5904 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:35 - Aug 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think we'll try to be entertaining for 3 games, when MM will trot out a line about 'needs must' or being 'more combative' and Mick will revert to tried and tested methods.

I was pretty positive when we signed Garner that ME was being serious about getting us up but it stagnated pretty fast.

I think we'll struggle to stay out of the bottom 3 and MM will finish his contract irrespective of results.

Thanks for that, would you care to comment on the thread and what you would deem acceptable?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:41 - Aug 3 with 5895 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:30 - Aug 3 by Reuser_is_God

Utter bollox

Agree, but I expect there are definitely some fans out there for whom the minimum is playoffs, and some who are so far gone with Mick that even that won't satisfy them

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:44 - Aug 3 with 5877 viewsTractorWood

A win over the scum would be great but in terms of a season outcome it doesn't achieve anything. MM's time here was at a fairly natural end at the end of last season, I struggle to see any likely scenario where he get's a renewal.

The bar is fantastically low for MM here. I think we'll struggle to lower mid table with the occasional look over the shoulder and we'll shake hands at the end of the summer.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:48 - Aug 3 with 5850 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:44 - Aug 3 by TractorWood

A win over the scum would be great but in terms of a season outcome it doesn't achieve anything. MM's time here was at a fairly natural end at the end of last season, I struggle to see any likely scenario where he get's a renewal.

The bar is fantastically low for MM here. I think we'll struggle to lower mid table with the occasional look over the shoulder and we'll shake hands at the end of the summer.

Tend to agree, but what would it take for you to change your mind?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:53 - Aug 3 with 5837 viewsSWGF

You think top 10 is setting the bar too low? I'd bite your hand off for that.

Top half would be a success. As others have said, we need a defined style that we stick to (in the main). I'm sick and tired of MM not trusting his own tactics/players enough and just mirroring the opposition regardless of their merits and whether the match is home or away.

I want to see a lot of Dozzell this season. He needs to play so we can see what he's capable of.

Similarly Webster. Am intrigued to see how he develops.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:55 - Aug 3 with 5825 viewsitfcjoe

Top half but looking up rather than down.

More exciting football at home - I'm not worried about tiki taka, but want to see a higher tempo, more attempts at goal and ultimately more goals.

A couple of academy youngsters getting a good number of minutes from the following - Bishop, Dozzell, and anyone else yet to make a senior appearance.

If that's not enough for some then Mick will be forced out.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:56 - Aug 3 with 5814 viewsElderGrizzly

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:53 - Aug 3 by SWGF

Top half would be a success. As others have said, we need a defined style that we stick to (in the main). I'm sick and tired of MM not trusting his own tactics/players enough and just mirroring the opposition regardless of their merits and whether the match is home or away.

I want to see a lot of Dozzell this season. He needs to play so we can see what he's capable of.

Be interesting to see if Evans agrees if we finish 12th or higher.

He'll have the opportunity to jettison Mick without payoff at the end of the season or commit for another 2 years of potentially same old same old, or possibly an emerging new and youthful style team.

Will be an interesting season one way or another. A poor start, I think he'll walk by October. He won't want the hassle and Evans won't want the abuse.
Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:59 - Aug 3 with 5796 viewsitfcjoe

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:53 - Aug 3 by SWGF

The U23s changed shape to match up with Bury Town last night

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:11 - Aug 3 with 5752 viewsLankHenners

For me personally, pretty much the same as you and others have said - top half, looking like we're playing with some sort of style and tempo, looking like we're trying to make the opposition worry about us rather than the other way around (at home especially) and some younger players developed with some decent match minutes. Essentially, just going along enjoying the season rather than it feeling like a bit of a slog.

In general? People will want Mick gone whatever but anything less than playoffs and a lot will say 'thanks for all you've done, but time to move on and let someone else come in with a fresh set of ideas and a whole pre-season/transfer window to get themselves sorted out', which wouldn't really be totally unreasonable.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:12 - Aug 3 with 5748 viewsSWGF

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 13:56 - Aug 3 by ElderGrizzly

Be interesting to see if Evans agrees if we finish 12th or higher.

He'll have the opportunity to jettison Mick without payoff at the end of the season or commit for another 2 years of potentially same old same old, or possibly an emerging new and youthful style team.

Will be an interesting season one way or another. A poor start, I think he'll walk by October. He won't want the hassle and Evans won't want the abuse.

I had a similar conversation re: the start of the season and October being a potential point of separation. Beginning well is so important to the general atmosphere but it's not helped by two of our sparse sprinkling of signings (Huws, Adeyemi) being out indefinitely.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:36 - Aug 3 with 5700 viewsketton_itfc

Success for me is about going into games with intent and giving the opposition something to thinkabout, it's probably my biggest gripe with Mick, he'll match up to the opposition and in the end we are either on the back foot or the game just cancels itself out.
I'd like us to go for teams, be strong, hassle, don't give them an inch and make them work for every goal. As you can imagine I was in dreamland for the first 5 months of 14/15 as we played how I like football to be played, with passion, with intensity.
If we give it ago and we ended up getting up relegated then I'd accept it as long as there is effort and passion -it's all I ask of Town.
Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:36 - Aug 3 with 5700 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:12 - Aug 3 by SWGF

I had a similar conversation re: the start of the season and October being a potential point of separation. Beginning well is so important to the general atmosphere but it's not helped by two of our sparse sprinkling of signings (Huws, Adeyemi) being out indefinitely.

Feels about right, although a bad start and it could be earlier than that

Do you really think our new signings have been sparse? Iorfa, Huws, Adeyemi, Celina, Garner (and Spence if RIG is reading)...I can't remember the last time we added that many potential first team players in a Summer, and should hopefully be a couple more to come. I'd go as far as to say that whilst the squad clearly needed quite a bit of freshening up, the volume probably feels about right to me (so long as we get another forward in before the window shuts)

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:38 - Aug 3 with 5687 viewsdirtyboy

I think anything around the 65-70 points mark would be acceptable/pleasing, we don't lose that many games in the grand scheme of things, but we do draw far too many (more than anyone else last year) so there's a fine line between scoring that extra goal an pinching a fair few more wins over the course of a season.

I think anyone who deems finishing outside the top 6 has wholly unreaslistic views of where we are as a club and that's an issue.

The losses of Huws and Adeyemi early on will certainly be detrimental to our early form and I feel a bit sorry for Mick in that respect, he really needed to hit the ground running this August given the lack of ongoing goodwill and to be without two players of that quality is very unfortunate.

We'll battle for a few games, then ease into it and do okay overall.
Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:46 - Aug 3 with 5671 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

I do wonder whether Mick would even want to stay after this season? He may be quite willing to walk away next summer if his stock is still fairly decent come the end of the season.

Saying that, hypothetically an acceptable finish for me would be giving the youngsters plenty of game time, developing the style and trying to better our league position from last season. If Mick can show that he has learnt from last seasons mistakes then I would have no issue with his contract being extended especially under the current owner as I doubt we will do much better even with a new manager.

Should be an interesting season as it could go a number of ways IMO.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:53 - Aug 3 with 5663 viewsMullet

A huge list of variables but for me a top ten finish would show Mick is doing all the right things.

We need most of the signings to come good
Youngsters to do what Kenlock and Emmanuel did last season
Dozzell to be ready
Bishop to make a return
See a bit of togetherness on the pitch and players interacting with the fans in a positive light
Stronger performances at home

A majority of those coming off would probably be enough to have a successful season / retain Mick for another contract.

How that would then pan out and be received is up in the air given the perception and the reality of our club within the division.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 05:04 - Aug 4 with 5571 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Following on from itfcjoe's thread... on 14:46 - Aug 3 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

I do wonder whether Mick would even want to stay after this season? He may be quite willing to walk away next summer if his stock is still fairly decent come the end of the season.

Saying that, hypothetically an acceptable finish for me would be giving the youngsters plenty of game time, developing the style and trying to better our league position from last season. If Mick can show that he has learnt from last seasons mistakes then I would have no issue with his contract being extended especially under the current owner as I doubt we will do much better even with a new manager.

Should be an interesting season as it could go a number of ways IMO.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see us part ways regardless of where we finish, unless we get promotion. Obviously the premise of the question though is that if we do look to extend it

Bettering our league position from last season isn't raising the bar much! 15th?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024