Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money 09:48 - Aug 4 with 2678 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Many want new owners, many want a new manager.
Which of the following 3 scenarios would people prefer?

1. New owner, chucks money around, big fees, big wages, brings in 'big names' and mercenaries, very results driven, sacks managers on a regular basis, has a bit to say about the team, potentially messes with stadium name/ club name etc, etc, but we're challenging for play offs/ promotion. (Kind of Derby/ Forest/ Sheff Wed/ Hull)

2. As we are at the moment. Treading water, same owner, allows a bit of spending, but not enough to really push on. Patient with managers, doesn't meddle too much, may eventually change manager/ style but not priority. More or less guaranteed mid table or slightly lower. (Us)

3. New philosophy from current owner. Cheaper tickets, new manager, better football, youths coming through, but less money for players, bringing through lower/non league youngsters, lower wages. Sell players on to keep afloat. As a result of all that flirt with relegation and maybe drop to league 1, yo-yo for a bit. (Kind of Peterborough ish)

I know there are far more possibilities and nuances, but as a specific choice it's interesting. Some people think we can cherry pick the best of all scenarios, if we got a new owner or manager, but I don't know if that's possible. Every choice has consequences.
All hypothetical as ME and MM are going nowhere for the short term at least.
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 09:53 - Aug 4 with 2644 viewsSteve_M

Can I add a fourth option: new owner with a genuine strategy to allow the club to firstly survive in this division but then to challenge by aligning the first-team with the academy and making sensible investments.

The nearest of your options to that is three, so that if I have to choose but it's clear that Evans isn't interested enough to do that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 09:54 - Aug 4 with 2628 viewsLimitlessBlue

it's all very confusing and you have only created a few scenarios which lets face it are not even an every season occurrence. I also wouldn't suggest we are guaranteed a mid-table finish, or lower.

All in all I want to give a better answer but you summed it up when you said there are far more possibilities and nuances so I couldn't pick one.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 09:58 - Aug 4 with 2617 viewsAxeldalai_lama

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 09:53 - Aug 4 by Steve_M

Can I add a fourth option: new owner with a genuine strategy to allow the club to firstly survive in this division but then to challenge by aligning the first-team with the academy and making sensible investments.

The nearest of your options to that is three, so that if I have to choose but it's clear that Evans isn't interested enough to do that.

Sounds like an okay option, the only issue is the implementation of that.
One persons sensible investments and bringing youth in is anothers falling behind the pack and cheap options.
At what stage are youths ready to be a larger part of the first team? How much do we spend on "sensible" investments? Mess those up and you're heading towards league one, hence my 3rd option.
Having said all that, I agree, that's a good option, if achievable.
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:04 - Aug 4 with 2589 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

For me, if you go with option 1 then these rich owners seem to be on a limited time scale. They come in, throw lots of money around-sometimes it works in the short term but long term it usually tends to go wrong (QPR, Cardiff etc) so unless there is a sustained amount of spending this wouldn't be ideal IMO. So for longevity and because I believe option 1 is everything that is wrong with football I can easily rule this one out.

Option 2 is where we are right now. I like that Evans gives his managers time but sometimes he gives them too much time so there is a catch even with that. For me we do spend sensibly and bring through the youth, as well as trying to develop the style. With this option there is always the option of a decent season coming out of no where which could very easily happen this season if everything clicks.

Option 3 ticks a lot of boxes but I wouldn't want to see us constantly involved in relegation battles and League one football if im honest.

So for me I would say option 2, stick as we are. Continue to try and pick up players up like Webster, Ward, Rowe etc who are within budget and will help evolve the style as well as adding value to them with one eye on resale.. It might work, it might not but I think we could be in a lot worse positions than we are right now. Just need those purse strings to be released a bit more, sign more players like we have this summer as compared to last summer and I think we will be competitive.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:06 - Aug 4 with 2580 viewsAxeldalai_lama

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 09:54 - Aug 4 by LimitlessBlue

it's all very confusing and you have only created a few scenarios which lets face it are not even an every season occurrence. I also wouldn't suggest we are guaranteed a mid-table finish, or lower.

All in all I want to give a better answer but you summed it up when you said there are far more possibilities and nuances so I couldn't pick one.

I suppose it's more about getting people to admit that you can't just cherry pick and say you want cheaper tickets, big money spent, youth brought through and better football, without at least some of the negatives that we laugh at other clubs for.

3 options are rather clumsy but they vaguely balance out some of the good/bad.
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:10 - Aug 4 with 2567 viewsAxeldalai_lama

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:04 - Aug 4 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

For me, if you go with option 1 then these rich owners seem to be on a limited time scale. They come in, throw lots of money around-sometimes it works in the short term but long term it usually tends to go wrong (QPR, Cardiff etc) so unless there is a sustained amount of spending this wouldn't be ideal IMO. So for longevity and because I believe option 1 is everything that is wrong with football I can easily rule this one out.

Option 2 is where we are right now. I like that Evans gives his managers time but sometimes he gives them too much time so there is a catch even with that. For me we do spend sensibly and bring through the youth, as well as trying to develop the style. With this option there is always the option of a decent season coming out of no where which could very easily happen this season if everything clicks.

Option 3 ticks a lot of boxes but I wouldn't want to see us constantly involved in relegation battles and League one football if im honest.

So for me I would say option 2, stick as we are. Continue to try and pick up players up like Webster, Ward, Rowe etc who are within budget and will help evolve the style as well as adding value to them with one eye on resale.. It might work, it might not but I think we could be in a lot worse positions than we are right now. Just need those purse strings to be released a bit more, sign more players like we have this summer as compared to last summer and I think we will be competitive.

It's funny that whilst ME and MM have got a lot wrong(no denying it), there are quite a lot of things right that we'd ideally want to hold onto going forward. I think it gets lost in all the SACK EVERYONE, and of course, abysmal results and performances.
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:13 - Aug 4 with 2552 viewsMullet

I dunno any more.

I don't want us to go down as we're better than that, and it'll mean that someone has really fooked up the club.

I don't want us to go up and be fooking Stoke though. Maybe we're past the days of paying £60 to sit in the gods at some plastic tosser and tourist emporium thanks to the new TV deal, but the idea of buying in top six cast offs and paying them £60k a week to maybe get to a semi-final against some team with a genuine buzz about them from the lower leagues seems like some Orwellian dystopia.

I'd just like to see us do over teams a few times a season, have a few cult heroes, smash Norwich every year and be in and around the playoffs or if we are a Prem team elbowing some boring mega-rich club out of the European spots every other year.

Evans has saved the club, but it almost feels like he's buried us in tact rather than risk losing us completely. My gratitude probably ran out towards him at the start of last season, I don't think could bring myself to hate him yet, but I'm not sure if having some foreign lunatic come in an ruin things who I could hate would be preferable.

In short, I dunno mate.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:25 - Aug 4 with 2515 viewsSWGF

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:13 - Aug 4 by Mullet

I dunno any more.

I don't want us to go down as we're better than that, and it'll mean that someone has really fooked up the club.

I don't want us to go up and be fooking Stoke though. Maybe we're past the days of paying £60 to sit in the gods at some plastic tosser and tourist emporium thanks to the new TV deal, but the idea of buying in top six cast offs and paying them £60k a week to maybe get to a semi-final against some team with a genuine buzz about them from the lower leagues seems like some Orwellian dystopia.

I'd just like to see us do over teams a few times a season, have a few cult heroes, smash Norwich every year and be in and around the playoffs or if we are a Prem team elbowing some boring mega-rich club out of the European spots every other year.

Evans has saved the club, but it almost feels like he's buried us in tact rather than risk losing us completely. My gratitude probably ran out towards him at the start of last season, I don't think could bring myself to hate him yet, but I'm not sure if having some foreign lunatic come in an ruin things who I could hate would be preferable.

In short, I dunno mate.

"In short..."

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:33 - Aug 4 with 2492 viewsElderGrizzly

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:04 - Aug 4 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Plus, to really make a difference in option 1, we are talking about £100m+ in this division over 4 or 5 years to get any kind of guaranteed success.

I simply don't think we can attract that type of owner. We aren't a quick fix.
As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:42 - Aug 4 with 2474 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:33 - Aug 4 by ElderGrizzly

Plus, to really make a difference in option 1, we are talking about £100m+ in this division over 4 or 5 years to get any kind of guaranteed success.

I simply don't think we can attract that type of owner. We aren't a quick fix.

Exactly, unless a rich billionaire sheikh comes out of no where then this is about as good as its going to get for the forseeable.

We & ME need to hope we strike it lucky and make it to the Premier League somehow. Only then can I see us having a chance of being an attractive proposition to a new owner. As long as we are in the Championship, I think we are stuck with Evans and him with us so maybe we should all try and just make the best of a bad situation.

Am personally loving that everyone has written us off this season and hope we can prove a lot of people and supposed experts wrong. As I am sure Mick will be
[Post edited 4 Aug 2017 10:42]

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 11:14 - Aug 4 with 2408 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Much of 2 & 3 can be combined.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 11:23 - Aug 4 with 2386 viewsemergencylime

Whilst my heart says option 3, part of me is still holding out for Red Bull to see past the recent history and take us on. A mix of Cat 1 Academy and European flair.
ME can then buy a smaller club more suited to his outlay, which -like it or not - just doesn't cut it in this tier anymore.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 11:26 - Aug 4 with 2378 viewsitfcjoe

As there's still debate over blame ME or MM and money on 10:13 - Aug 4 by Mullet

I dunno any more.

In short, I dunno mate.

I think if Mick could just get some of the feel good back we aren't far off where I want us to be....presuming he can follow the 5 point fag packet plan and Evans re-invests transfer fees rather than using them to limit the loss

Owner puts in £5m or so annually

Academy flourishes and brings through a few players

Football more entertaining

Signing younger players from lower leagues/big teams reserves and improving them and selling on when the time comes.

Be a solid Champ team with aspirations of more and the ability to look up towards the top 6 rather than down towards the bottom 3.

Football has changed so much, our biggest issue is the amount of fan base that don't like Mick any more - and that Mick can't get things going on the pitch, especially at home

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024