Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garner 08:08 - Aug 6 with 7111 viewsGarv

Promising start. He won quite a few headers yesterday and is generally pretty impressive in the air given his height, an obvious comparison is Varney but I'd argue he's much better.

Another useful trait was his movement. One noticeable passage was when we had the ball in midfield and it wasn't really going anywhere, and he runs from the left striker position across the defence all to way to the right wing and got the ball in acres of space. We've not had many like him who are willing to take a chance or a risk I recent years.

Question is who and what type of player is going to partner him?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Garner on 08:16 - Aug 6 with 5993 viewstractorboy1978

He is a bit of a bell end on the pitch as well which I like. Winding up defenders, stepping on toes, getting in the refs ear. The movement for the goal was excellent.
Garner on 08:18 - Aug 6 with 5971 viewstextbackup

I like him a lot, hes a proper cnt on the pitch, gives the ref/lino/defences a headache

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Garner on 08:20 - Aug 6 with 5959 viewsbluefunk

He made a contribution all over the pitch too, his defensive work was equally impressive IMO, notably that clearance ar the NS end
Garner on 08:27 - Aug 6 with 5924 viewsTLA

There were a couple of times in the first half when Garner and Sears switched direction and made great runs - Dozzell nearly found Garner but not quite. I loved that unexpected movement from both of them and it created options in both directions for the midfielders.

A few time when Garner won headers, he seemed to dig a fist into the back of the opponent, rather than grab a handful of shirt. I like that he is playing for us, rather than against us as I hate him otherwise!
Garner on 08:29 - Aug 6 with 5903 viewspowinswitch

Garner on 08:20 - Aug 6 by bluefunk

He made a contribution all over the pitch too, his defensive work was equally impressive IMO, notably that clearance ar the NS end

Headed a clearance at the Churchmans in the last 5 minutes at an awkward moment. Team player is how he appeared to me. Great start - well done Joe
Garner on 08:38 - Aug 6 with 5837 viewsKieran_Knows

As I've said countless times, Garner will give us what Murph did, and more.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Garner on 08:42 - Aug 6 with 5805 viewsITFCBlues

Garner on 08:38 - Aug 6 by Kieran_Knows

As I've said countless times, Garner will give us what Murph did, and more.

Yeah - I've been baffled by people who continue to say we've not replaced Murphy - when we have!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Garner on 08:49 - Aug 6 with 5767 viewstextbackup

Garner on 08:42 - Aug 6 by ITFCBlues

Yeah - I've been baffled by people who continue to say we've not replaced Murphy - when we have!

murphy never had that swag about him on the pitch, was never nasty, garner is a full shthead, I love him

Login to get fewer ads

Garner on 08:50 - Aug 6 with 5752 viewsGeoffSentence

He spent quite a lot of the second half lying on the ground. I wasn't sure whether he was injured or play acting. On one occasion he went down and stayed down, whilst play continued, he stayed down for quite a while, eventually getting up looking none the worse for wear when he realised that no-one was paying any attention. The ref had a long chat with him after that, I'd like to know what he was saying to him.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Garner on 08:55 - Aug 6 with 5723 viewsbluelady

Def rather have him on side I predicted 14 goals and two reds this season !! He offers so much more than pitman who is a great poacher but never had the pace or style of play that suited us. Get another natural goalscorer alongside him and I think we have the makings of a team. Sears still looks low on confidence and not the player he was in his first half season which is gutting as he has the ability, let's hope he knocks a few in and the confidence returns
Garner on 08:57 - Aug 6 with 5691 viewsKieran_Knows

Yer, I've been thinking the same to be honest.

Garner on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 5675 viewsKieran_Knows

Garner on 08:49 - Aug 6 by textbackup

murphy never had that swag about him on the pitch, was never nasty, garner is a full shthead, I love him

Agreed that Murphy didn't have a nasty streak in him like Garner does, but in terms of chasing lost causes, hassling defenders, being a genuine nuisance, Garner has that in abundance, like Murph used to do for us.

I really do think Garner is going to be a top addition for us, always nice to get off the mark early as well.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 9:01]

Garner on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 5666 viewsRonFearonsHair

His relative lack of height could give him a bit of an advantage in a strange way. Murphy's problem was that defenders would bounce off him and the officials would bizarrely reward them with a free-kick. Garner will go in head first and in many cases will either win the header or get an elbow in the face and be awarded the free-kick. Assuming the elbow isn't planted when the ref isn't looking...
Garner on 09:40 - Aug 6 with 5464 viewsKeaneish

Couldn't make the game yesterday due to family commitments. How did Sears play along side him? Did it look like a blossoming partnership or still more to be done?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Garner on 09:43 - Aug 6 with 5448 viewsKieran_Knows

Garner on 09:40 - Aug 6 by Keaneish

Couldn't make the game yesterday due to family commitments. How did Sears play along side him? Did it look like a blossoming partnership or still more to be done?

I would say it's a 'work in progress'. Having said that, Sears will have his work cut out to get in the side once a) McGoldrick returns from injury and b) the arrival of this new striker. That said, he'll probably be played out wide if that is the case. As for me, Garner will start the majority of games when fit.

Garner on 09:44 - Aug 6 with 5438 viewstextbackup

Garner on 09:40 - Aug 6 by Keaneish

mmmm sears wasn't all that to be honest (and I do like him up top) weak shots when other options were there etc

Garner on 10:01 - Aug 6 with 5396 viewsSuperfrans

Garner on 08:59 - Aug 6 by Kieran_Knows

Agreed that Murphy didn't have a nasty streak in him like Garner does, but in terms of chasing lost causes, hassling defenders, being a genuine nuisance, Garner has that in abundance, like Murph used to do for us.

I really do think Garner is going to be a top addition for us, always nice to get off the mark early as well.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 9:01]

Murphy bullied defenders too though. That said, Garner's different player - more a David Nugent type.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Garner on 10:06 - Aug 6 with 5361 viewstractorboy1978

Garner on 09:44 - Aug 6 by textbackup

mmmm sears wasn't all that to be honest (and I do like him up top) weak shots when other options were there etc

Sears just isn't good enough. A willing runner and cannot fault his effort but he should be on the bench as soon as we have a better option fit/in the door.
Garner on 10:48 - Aug 6 with 5251 viewsJimmy86

Garner on 08:16 - Aug 6 by tractorboy1978

He is a bit of a bell end on the pitch as well which I like. Winding up defenders, stepping on toes, getting in the refs ear. The movement for the goal was excellent.

He's someone I'd rather have on our team than against us, for sure. Used to hate him when he played for Preston for doing that very same to us. Got that dirty streak and I can see him getting sent off at some point, but good performance and debut from him yesterday
Garner on 10:57 - Aug 6 with 5212 viewsbournemouthblue

He sounds like everything Pitman was not, busy ultimately

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Garner on 11:00 - Aug 6 with 5187 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It's because we signed him early in the Summer, which means that by the July everyone had forgotten about him

The same thing happened with Webster last year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Garner on 11:05 - Aug 6 with 5156 viewsHipsterectomy

I can't wait to see him winding up Norwich fans/their defenders

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Garner on 11:11 - Aug 6 with 5130 viewsflimflam

Garner on 08:50 - Aug 6 by GeoffSentence

He spent quite a lot of the second half lying on the ground. I wasn't sure whether he was injured or play acting. On one occasion he went down and stayed down, whilst play continued, he stayed down for quite a while, eventually getting up looking none the worse for wear when he realised that no-one was paying any attention. The ref had a long chat with him after that, I'd like to know what he was saying to him.

He was having some off the ball pushing and shoving with a centre half who then shoved him to the ground. Bit of an over reaction but if the ref had seen it might have been a problem for the defender.
We need a player like Garner who basically gets in defenders heads. I love him already.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Garner on 11:12 - Aug 6 with 5123 viewsgainsboroughblue

He seems to be the sort of player I've wanted here for years. A player other teams fans won't like.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 11:12]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Garner on 11:22 - Aug 6 with 5068 viewsthorpedo

It was nice to see a player be able to control the ball and turn with one touch. Looks a bargain already - though I know Rangers fans tell a different story. Seems like the kind of player who needs to be the main man - bit of an ego and edge. Nothing wrong with that.
As for a potential partner I feel a pacy player would be best, as Garner is almost a target man despite his height. Him and Didz could rip a defence apart when the team is on form and playing the ball on the ground, but don't fancy them much as a partnership away from home. Agree that we need an upgrade on Sears - I love the guy but see him as a bench player these days.

Thorpedo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024