Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts on last night 07:53 - Aug 9 with 5405 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Quick hit thoughts on a very good win and performance last night, with the obvious caveat that it was League Two opposition...

- First half very scrapped, with the difference being the one true moment of quality from Celina. How we managed to get in at 1-0 with Luton missing practically an open goal on half time I've no idea, but will take the breaks
- Speaking of that Luton chance, felt Gerken could have done better than parry straight to the Luton players feet, and some issues remain with crosses into the box. He'll be pleased with a clean sheet but didn't think it was his best night
- 2nd half was much, much, much better. For 20 minutes we absolutely dominated Luton and looked likely to score with every attack. Don't really know how it took until injury time to make it 2
- Where on earth did we magic up Flynn Downes from? Everything Luke Hyatt gives us and so much more. He was everywhere, with drive and distribution to boot
- Not far behind was Celina. Took a little while to get going in the scrappy early stages but once we got the ball into his feet his class was clear. Made the first and caused panic on numerous occasions - his willingness to run at the defence is something we've been sorely lacking. Player
- Controversial view but I didn't actually think McGoldrick was that great. Overplayed at times and slowed down several promising attacks. Also bemusing to hear chants of Oh David McGoldrick go up when he f*cked up, or was offside. Probably being harsh - goals were well taken, the 2nd in particular
- Waghorn looked lively, unlucky not to score with a curling effort after he came on
- Nydam was anonymous 1st half but came alive 2nd half, with a couple of outstanding pieces of skill as he grew in confidence. Shame to see him go off, which I assume was precautionary having taken a knock a couple of mins before
- Thought Iorfa and Kenlock both struggled. One area of concern was how isolated they looked - at times getting the ball and driving forward but there being little option ahead or inside, something to work on. The latter improved a bit late when we had 3 up top and more natural width ahead
- No idea who Wolfenden is, but didn't really notice him which is a good sign I guess!
- Good, positive support for the team tonight, hopefully that keeps up. Performances like that and I'm sure it will
- Kenilworth Road is a hole. I liked it
- A cup win! Away! Hurrah!!
- Here's hoping for a nice easy 2nd round tie, then Spurs away and a trip to Wembley in the 3rd... 🙂

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A few thoughts on last night on 08:08 - Aug 9 with 5342 viewsIpswichKnight

Agree with a lot of that. Downes reminded me a bit of Matt Holland last night, willingness to run for everything not scared of a tackle and was starting to drive to the box when defenders stood off. I know he's young and he's going to have some shockers but he looks impressive.

Kenlock looked horribly out of form in the 1st half improved in the 2nd half when he overlapped with Celina, Iorfa was looking for people to run past him and no one did kept having to check and pass backwards, he played better on Saturday.

I thought it took Nydam 20 minutes to realise that he could play at this level then he started to impose himself, he was much better in the 2nd half can see why the club think he's a lot like Dyer, not quick but can ghost past people and it would often take 2 or 3 Luton players to get the ball off him.

Celina was like Fraser, get the ball and run at people not quite as clever as Fraser was in getting the free kicks but the Luton backline were petrified of him running at them, brilliant ball to McGoldrick for the 1st goal.

The crossing also improved massively from Saturday every corner or free kick from the byeline was whipped in with pace by Celina and you actually thought for the first time that we might actually score from all of them!

We were not perfect we were shaky at the back at times and better teams will punish us for this, but winning is a good habbit and we have some very winnable games at the moment coming up.

First time in years I actually thought there is some hope, we had a lot of youth products out on the pitch and all of them were better than anything in the Luton team, were not going to win the league or reach the playoffs but we played good entertaining football!
A few thoughts on last night on 08:46 - Aug 9 with 5216 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few thoughts on last night on 08:08 - Aug 9 by IpswichKnight

Agree with a lot of that. Downes reminded me a bit of Matt Holland last night, willingness to run for everything not scared of a tackle and was starting to drive to the box when defenders stood off. I know he's young and he's going to have some shockers but he looks impressive.

Kenlock looked horribly out of form in the 1st half improved in the 2nd half when he overlapped with Celina, Iorfa was looking for people to run past him and no one did kept having to check and pass backwards, he played better on Saturday.

I thought it took Nydam 20 minutes to realise that he could play at this level then he started to impose himself, he was much better in the 2nd half can see why the club think he's a lot like Dyer, not quick but can ghost past people and it would often take 2 or 3 Luton players to get the ball off him.

Celina was like Fraser, get the ball and run at people not quite as clever as Fraser was in getting the free kicks but the Luton backline were petrified of him running at them, brilliant ball to McGoldrick for the 1st goal.

The crossing also improved massively from Saturday every corner or free kick from the byeline was whipped in with pace by Celina and you actually thought for the first time that we might actually score from all of them!

We were not perfect we were shaky at the back at times and better teams will punish us for this, but winning is a good habbit and we have some very winnable games at the moment coming up.

First time in years I actually thought there is some hope, we had a lot of youth products out on the pitch and all of them were better than anything in the Luton team, were not going to win the league or reach the playoffs but we played good entertaining football!

Agree with all of that

Defence was definitely shaky at times but another clean sheet can only be a positive. Long may it continue

A few thoughts on last night on 08:56 - Aug 9 with 5145 viewsMVBlue

Celina looks like our bright new hope. This team is giving me hope that we will be entertained at least :)

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

A few thoughts on last night on 09:06 - Aug 9 with 5105 viewsRadlett_blue

Agree with most of that.
Yes, McGoldrick can be something of a prima donna at times, but he is very good once he has the ball at his feet. Perhaps "false 9" is his best position?
Luton actually started the 2nd half well, but after a shaky first 10, we found space & every time we counter attacked, we looked a real threat.The only problem for me was the last 5-10 minutes, when we fell back into the old habit of defending too deep, inviting pressure & hoofing the ball back to Luton.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A few thoughts on last night on 09:28 - Aug 9 with 5018 viewsITFC_Forever

In no particular order....

Thought the Downes and Nydam were superb, especially considering it was the first starts for both of them.... neither were at all afraid to tackle, take people on and drive forward, it was from doing just this that Nydam started the move for the first goal.
It made me laugh when Nydam blocked that quick free-kick, their bloke pushed him and he just stood there and looked at him.

Gerken always parries straight back in to the danger zone. Add that to his lack of communication, reluctance to come for crosses and poor distribution, it's clear to see why he's second choice to Bart.

Luton were pretty sprightly and played with the confidence of a side who will do well in their division and who scored 8 at the weekend.

Celina was slow to start, but once he got going, he was full of running and tricks and fooled the Luton players time and again. The evasion of a knee-high tackle and ball through to McG for his first goal was brilliant.

McGoldrick is a class act and proved it again.... couple of times he over-played, but I think he was looking for other options to support him.

Waghorn was physical and worked hard.

Webster again looked very good, carrying on from where he left off last season by bringing the ball out of defence.

Chambers really took on the responsibility of being the senior CB, won loads of headers and tackles to help defensively.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A few thoughts on last night on 09:31 - Aug 9 with 4998 viewsSteve_M

A few thoughts on last night on 09:28 - Aug 9 by ITFC_Forever

Thought the Downes and Nydam were superb, especially considering it was the first starts for both of them.... neither were at all afraid to tackle, take people on and drive forward, it was from doing just this that Nydam started the move for the first goal.
It made me laugh when Nydam blocked that quick free-kick, their bloke pushed him and he just stood there and looked at him.

Gerken always parries straight back in to the danger zone. Add that to his lack of communication, reluctance to come for crosses and poor distribution, it's clear to see why he's second choice to Bart.

Luton were pretty sprightly and played with the confidence of a side who will do well in their division and who scored 8 at the weekend.

Celina was slow to start, but once he got going, he was full of running and tricks and fooled the Luton players time and again. The evasion of a knee-high tackle and ball through to McG for his first goal was brilliant.

McGoldrick is a class act and proved it again.... couple of times he over-played, but I think he was looking for other options to support him.

Webster again looked very good, carrying on from where he left off last season by bringing the ball out of defence.

Chambers really took on the responsibility of being the senior CB, won loads of headers and tackles to help defensively.

"It made me laugh when Nydam blocked that quick free-kick, their bloke pushed him and he just stood there and looked at him."

Not only that, but he then ran around the back of the ref and drifted away to avoid any chance of being booked. He'll go far with skills like that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few thoughts on last night on 09:32 - Aug 9 with 4995 viewsRadlett_blue

A few thoughts on last night on 09:28 - Aug 9 by ITFC_Forever

Agree with most of that, except that I thought Webster was sluggish & clearly needs more game time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A few thoughts on last night on 10:16 - Aug 9 with 4859 viewsBasuco

A few thoughts on last night on 09:31 - Aug 9 by Steve_M

"It made me laugh when Nydam blocked that quick free-kick, their bloke pushed him and he just stood there and looked at him."

Not only that, but he then ran around the back of the ref and drifted away to avoid any chance of being booked. He'll go far with skills like that.

The fact that Nydam was 3 foot shorter and 1 third of the Luton players weight made it even funnier.
Login to get fewer ads

A few thoughts on last night on 10:17 - Aug 9 with 4858 viewsIpswichKnight

A few thoughts on last night on 09:32 - Aug 9 by Radlett_blue

Agree with most of that, except that I thought Webster was sluggish & clearly needs more game time.

I thought he was playing the wrong position in defence he needs to be the centre of the back 3 not on the right side , most of the time the only ball on was back to Chambers.

Hopefully the ankle injury won't be too serious and he can get some U23 games/sub appearences/2nd round of this mickey mouse cup!
A few thoughts on last night on 11:02 - Aug 9 with 4722 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few thoughts on last night on 10:16 - Aug 9 by Basuco

The fact that Nydam was 3 foot shorter and 1 third of the Luton players weight made it even funnier.

I forgot about that incident - to be honest I thought it was a bit stupid as a clear booking but seeing as he got away with it will let him off! (Plus it was funny) Generally speaking it was nice to see us with a little bit of needle last night, mixed in with all the good stuff
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 11:03]

A few thoughts on last night on 11:13 - Aug 9 with 4684 viewsBerlinBlue

Really good performance overall. Nydam, Downes, Celina, Iorfa all look very promising, McGoldrick showed his class. Waghorn will do well this season I think. Great to see us passing the ball, although hoofing it wasn't completely absent (Knudsen). Positive start to the season and a more positive outlook among us lot. Let's keep that up, also when we have some bad results. Seems MM has noticed that things needed to change.
Oh, and what a lovely little stadium Kenilworth Road is. Getting into the stand through people's back yards was a novelty!
A few thoughts on last night on 11:22 - Aug 9 with 4638 viewsITFC_Forever

A few thoughts on last night on 11:13 - Aug 9 by BerlinBlue

Really good performance overall. Nydam, Downes, Celina, Iorfa all look very promising, McGoldrick showed his class. Waghorn will do well this season I think. Great to see us passing the ball, although hoofing it wasn't completely absent (Knudsen). Positive start to the season and a more positive outlook among us lot. Let's keep that up, also when we have some bad results. Seems MM has noticed that things needed to change.
Oh, and what a lovely little stadium Kenilworth Road is. Getting into the stand through people's back yards was a novelty!

That's the thing... it's been very encouraging so far and the cynics (me included) will love to be proved wrong.
The big test of it will be if (when) we get turned over, that Mick doesn't go back to ultra-safety-first cautiousness.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A few thoughts on last night on 11:44 - Aug 9 with 4551 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few thoughts on last night on 11:22 - Aug 9 by ITFC_Forever

That's the thing... it's been very encouraging so far and the cynics (me included) will love to be proved wrong.
The big test of it will be if (when) we get turned over, that Mick doesn't go back to ultra-safety-first cautiousness.

I do think the pressure is on Mick this season, and not just for the obvious reason. Last season could perhaps be excused by the sale of and failure to replace Murphy, and general lack of budget. This time around there can be no arguments that he hasn't been backed and been able to bring in the players needed

If Mick doesn't deliver this season then there will be nowhere to hide. Early signs are very promising, in that respect
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 11:44]

A few thoughts on last night on 12:13 - Aug 9 with 4445 viewsMullet

A few thoughts on last night on 11:44 - Aug 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I do think the pressure is on Mick this season, and not just for the obvious reason. Last season could perhaps be excused by the sale of and failure to replace Murphy, and general lack of budget. This time around there can be no arguments that he hasn't been backed and been able to bring in the players needed

If Mick doesn't deliver this season then there will be nowhere to hide. Early signs are very promising, in that respect
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 11:44]

Depends though doesn't it - in terms of Evans, yeah he's had some investment but it was badly needed and making up for a shortfall the last couple of years.

In terms of the division we're rubbing tuppences together.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A few thoughts on last night on 12:39 - Aug 9 with 4358 viewsJimmyJazz

Hoping for a trip to Wembley?? That's what worries me about these cup competitions. When we got drawn at Man Utd away, all thoughts of the league were forgotten for a few weeks and the town (not the football club) went all provincial and had a hard-on about going to Old Trafford.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

A few thoughts on last night on 12:42 - Aug 9 with 4345 viewsMullet

A few thoughts on last night on 12:39 - Aug 9 by JimmyJazz

Hoping for a trip to Wembley?? That's what worries me about these cup competitions. When we got drawn at Man Utd away, all thoughts of the league were forgotten for a few weeks and the town (not the football club) went all provincial and had a hard-on about going to Old Trafford.

That's just the modern way - well the cup way with modern trappings. I'd much rather have Rochdale away or get ManUre at home.

Easy draw or one that brings the money in should be the best strategy I reckon.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A few thoughts on last night on 13:11 - Aug 9 with 4254 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few thoughts on last night on 12:39 - Aug 9 by JimmyJazz

It was a joke

There was a reason I went to Luton on a Tuesday night!

A few thoughts on last night on 13:14 - Aug 9 with 4236 viewsAdmiralFunge

Cracking report, would also add that I'm excited to see what Webster brings to the table. Couple of very composed touches and layoffs in 1st half

Kenilworth is so crap - I love it. Genuine football ground; you'd imagine the Herberts away to the right of the away end would make a proper racket with a fair wind. Stewards were friendly too.

Fair play to Luton, they try and play football. That miss before half time was a thing of rare beauty.

Luton is the single worst town I've been to in the UK. Would honestly like to see them in the Championship.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024