Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few thoughts 07:58 - Aug 9 with 876 viewsSteve_M

It's nice to win a cup tie, even nicer to win one with such strong showing by so many players who might actually give us some proper squad depth this year. Whilst, losing to Stevenage, Crawley et al had no great effect in the grand scheme of things it's much nicer to keep the positive impact from Saturday going.

We started fairly slowly on the ball, partly because the home side started positively but also our passing was a bit off. Neither wing-back looked great on the ball: Kenlock's touch was very poor in the first half and Iorfa didn't quite seem to know what to do with the ball. We failed to find McGoldrick or Cellina with the ball, hitting it too long.

We grew into the game though, the first time Cellina and McGoldrick linked up, the former just shot over, the second time we scored. Nydam having been content just to do simple things on the ball, started to trust himself to do more and he came much more into the game, some of the link up play with Downes and Skuse in the middle was good; moving the ball about and working space confidently.

Luton showed why they scored a lot of goals at the weekend, midfield runners playing off the strikers and shooting readily. They should have been level at the break, Gerken pushing a shot straight back into play but the shot was abysmal/hilarious.

The second half we also started slowly, sitting back a little too much but we did break quickly and with some good use of the ball. Kenlock I thought had a much better second half and McGoldrick looked a real threat whenever the ball got to him. Cellina faded a bit but I think he'll just take a little while to get properly up to the pace of this division - he'll be unplayable at times when he does.

Waghorn gave us a bit more impetus when he came on, quite direct in his play but he looked like a player who hadn't trained with his teammates yet. More to come from him no doubt.

We had chances to have wrapped the game up long before we did, Luton's shooting became increasing desperate but a cushion was still nice. Knudsen - who looks comfortable in a back three - showed good composure to put his foot on the ball in midfield before playing it to Iorfa who played the best ball of his night to McGoldrick. 2-0 job done and a very happy away end.

The biggest positives were McGoldrick's form, another good game from Downes and an impressive debut from Nydam. In addition Kenlock improved as the game went on and Wolfenden was generally good. It's only two games into the season but we might have a bit of depth to the squad this season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few thoughts on 08:03 - Aug 9 with 836 viewswkj

Nice report Steve, and from listening to BBC R Suffolk on iFollow and the highlights I got that feeling from the game too. Luton in my opinion are playing very solid stuff and I think they played much better than you might expect of a L2 side, I would be suprised if they arent in the hunt for promotion this term- no reason why they wont be if they play like they did tonight and saturday.

I also get the feeling Downes and Nydam will eventually get confident enough and we shall see more shots (and goals...) from them- Downes looked to get a decent shot away from the edge of the area.

Cheers for the report Steve

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024