Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 23:12 - Aug 12 with 3956 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The match of two contrasting halves. A pile of emotions, from frustation to elation.

We had been terrible for almost entire first half however it is hardly surprising given McCarthy's stupid approach. Three centre backs with two deep sitting midfielders was a clear indication that McCarthy wanted a point and that was his prime target. With seemingly rigid defence Barnsley should have had a tough task to do. Unfortunately from the first whistle we were under the cosh particularly first 15 minutes. First notable moment from us was an eye-catching tackle from Skuse after which the ball was despatched towards Sears but nothing came from it at the end.

We did sit deeply and allowed them a lot. Very annoying given apparent lack of quality in the Barnsley team. Good form of Bialkowski + off the line Garner's clearance helped us a lot but Barnsley finally got the goal which they deserved. However the manner in which we conceded that was infuriating. If we continue to defend like we did at that moment we'll be in a relegation trouble. Bradshaw's header from such close range ought to have been easily avoided.

The rest of the first half was a mix of us having a better possession at times and resorting to stupid pointless long balls. Not criticising our young midfielders Downes and Nydam as they were knuckling down and working hard but there was an easily visible lack of link-up between midfield and strikers. Same old McCarthy.

Iorfa was by far our best player in the first half as he was the solitary one who offered a bit of threat. Many crosses into their box but unfortunately some of them were wasteful due to lack of many Town players in that area. Kenlock was a complete opposite. He still has a lot to learn as he was abject. Not even a single cross and struggling throughout. His first touch also very poor as the ball bounced off him once after receiving a good pass from Iorfa.

A mate of mine who stood next to me asked if I'd take a point. I said no even though we were losing as Barnsley are a young team and lost some important players this summer.

Last 5 minutes of the first half we were in trouble again and then came a moment in which Bart saved us a match. Outstanding double save, especially the first one when one on one with Moncur.

It wasn't a rocket science that changes had to be made at half time. Kenlock was an obvious one that had to be taken off. McGoldrick and Waghorn + system's alteration. It perfectly paid off in the second half.

Different team from the beginning. McGoldrick's chance which was saved by Davies was followed by Sears whose shot was blocked by their defender. Town travelling party were getting noisier as they were buoyed and encouraged. And we quickly got reward by McGoldrick's volley and once again as it was the case last week it came from the Knudsen's cross. Nice volley which landed in their net and was followed by ... yes, scenes, absolute scenes ! ;))))))))

Unfortunately our attacking impact faded after the goal and that was disappointing. The team seemed content with the point as it was the Barnsley team who tried to threaten us but once again I'll say they clearly lacked a quality. A counter attack was the only hope for us to grab the winning goal as we stopped playing in the way in which we started the second half. And all of sudden we got it. McGoldrick's pass from his heel to Garner and the latter played the ball into Waghorn's path. Another good goal followed by big celebration in our end.

McDonnell who replaced injured Downes sat deeply alongside Skuse and last 10 minutes was mostly hanging on from us. We aren't usually good at that but we somehow got away today. Chambers' impressive block helped once but our back formation could have cost us a game 5 minutes from time. Barnsley had a corner and one of their players was left completely unmarked in the box. A freedom of space and time but Bialkowski saved us again. That was the last scary moment for us.

Mix of emotions today, some disappointing aspects but it's all overshadowed by what is most important in the football match. It's 3 points, it's a win no matter how it's achieved. Given peoples elation and celebration after our goals makes us feel so proud that we support such wonderful football club. The circumstances in which we won the match today are the reason why we have to enjoy it and celebrate wherever we can.

Pluses:
1. McGoldrick. The pure gem when fit and he has to start every game. I don't get it why he started on the bench again.
2. The necessary change of the personnel and system at half time
3. Iorfa in the wing back role. Some cracking crosses and runs
4. Chambers - the colossal figure in the defence
5. Going to sound somewhat stupid but it is Barnsley having lead 1-0 at half time. It enforced McCarthy to make changes and show some attacking impact. Had it been 0-0 or 1-1 at half time I believe he would have stuck in the same system in second half and played for a point.
6. Garner - real nuisance for their defence
7. Our support and celebrations.

Minuses:
1. Playing negatively in the first half. I know we have loads of injured midfielders but our arguably most attacking threat sat on the bench.
2. McCarthy. People will say he deserves a credit for the changes he made. Right but why starting so cautiously against such average/poor opposition? Why do we have to wait for something bad to happen to take some action? He isn't going to change his ways unfortunately.
3. Kenlock - very poor in the first half and has the day to forget.
4. Downes and Nydam playing together. Two inexperienced midfielders playing together isn't good for us. One of them is absolutely fine though at the moment.
5. Sears having played on the wing in the second half. Where was Celina? Why having been kept on the bench?

Pleasure to meet Truce, Johnhoz and for the first time The_Romford_Blue.

As it was the case at Barnsley last March I had a bit of spare time before my train arrival. Was among our group of fans who themselves waited for the players. And once again I had a brief chat with Bart. Thanked him for his massive save at the end of first half, he said with a smile that was his job. I also jokingly asked him if there was a Premier League who wanted him in this transfer window. His answer, the tone of it and his face expression struck me somewhat. He said to me: 'I don't know what is going to happen but I don't want to hear about any offer as I genuinely feel so well at Ipswich'. We also spoke about McGoldrick and his second half contribution. When I told Bart that Didsy seems susceptible to the injuries he somewhat disagreed with me. He's said that Didsy has an extremely bad luck.

All that matters is a win. Good day out.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 23:23]
Match thoughts on 23:28 - Aug 12 with 3857 viewsITFCBlues

Perhaps slightly harsh on Micks setup today. I don't think we'd be setting up like this at all but we've got little options in reality. I do agree though that we need to have a bit more experience than two youngsters in the middle if we're to persist with the 3-5-2.

I wonder if McDonnell may partner Skuse on Tuesday with perhaps Ward slightly in front assuming he's fit. Or perhaps we completely abandon the three at the back. Tricky one as not sure of Spence as a CB in a two - how did he do 2nd half?

I think with the current injuries we've just got to take what we can and bumble on through until the international break when hopefully a few will return to fitness

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Match thoughts on 23:31 - Aug 12 with 3830 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 23:28 - Aug 12 by ITFCBlues

Perhaps slightly harsh on Micks setup today. I don't think we'd be setting up like this at all but we've got little options in reality. I do agree though that we need to have a bit more experience than two youngsters in the middle if we're to persist with the 3-5-2.

I wonder if McDonnell may partner Skuse on Tuesday with perhaps Ward slightly in front assuming he's fit. Or perhaps we completely abandon the three at the back. Tricky one as not sure of Spence as a CB in a two - how did he do 2nd half?

I think with the current injuries we've just got to take what we can and bumble on through until the international break when hopefully a few will return to fitness

I don't think it's harsh given lack of attacking intent in the first half. Even with little options we have it can be done and second half showed.

Spence in general was quite reliable perhaps apart from first 15 minutes where our back five was shaky.
Match thoughts on 23:36 - Aug 12 with 3808 viewsClapham_Junction

Some of Iorfa's attacking play in the first half was superb - a couple of times he robbed Barnsley players and then stormed up the pitch. Just a shame that not a single one of his crosses (must have been 5-10) actually led to a decent change.

As I said in an earlier post, I didn't understand why Bart kept rolling the ball out to Knudsen given how useless we were down the left in the first half and how much joy we were having down the right. Having said that, Knudsen and Sears linked up down the left well in the second.
Match thoughts on 23:37 - Aug 12 with 3799 viewsITFCBlues

Match thoughts on 23:31 - Aug 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

I don't think it's harsh given lack of attacking intent in the first half. Even with little options we have it can be done and second half showed.

Spence in general was quite reliable perhaps apart from first 15 minutes where our back five was shaky.

Fair enough. Think we may well ditch the 3 at the back for Tuesday. Especially with Kenlock being so poor. A few decisions to make. In CM, I don't think Downes will start so either Nydam or McDonnell to partner Skuse.

McGoldrick has to start - you'd assume with Garner. Perhaps Waghorn wide right which would allow Ward to perhaps play next to Skuse. Be interesting to see who he picks though. Can't imagine Celina will be too happy to sit on the bench!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Match thoughts on 23:44 - Aug 12 with 3772 viewsITFC_Forever

Think McG was on the bench today as he has been nursed through this week as he has a minor knock or something... not fully fit?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Match thoughts on 23:45 - Aug 12 with 3766 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Minuses point 5. Having made 2 changes we couldn't risk another in case of injury. Just as well we didn't eh.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Match thoughts on 23:48 - Aug 12 with 3735 viewspointofblue

Match thoughts on 23:31 - Aug 12 by Mach_foreignBlue

I'm certainly no Mick fan but he was between a rock and a hard place today. If he'd changed formation from the Birmingham game he would have been criticised but we were badly lacking in players to match the 3-5-2. He gave youngsters a chance to shine, as many of us have been calling for for a while, yet it criticised for doing that.

And it was nice to have options from the bench. If one of Waghorn or McGoldrick had started, meaning either the former or Sears playing out wide, we may have been even more open in midfield and wouldn't have had the power and talent from the bench to change things either.

If we're at full strength and we see an overly defensive approach then I'd fully understand the criticism but we have really limited options at the moment.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 23:48]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Match thoughts on 00:01 - Aug 13 with 3674 viewsFreddies_Ears

Match thoughts on 23:44 - Aug 12 by ITFC_Forever

Think McG was on the bench today as he has been nursed through this week as he has a minor knock or something... not fully fit?

McG would not be up to 2 games a week, at least not yet. Luckily, we have forward options.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 06:05 - Aug 13 with 3432 viewspowinswitch

Thanks for such a detailed report. I only listened on the radio.

The last two years have been painful, and in the main awful. Whilst I want to win every game, I don't mind losing, if we set up to take the game to the opposition. Maybe not at Middlesbrough or Newcastle, I understand setting up to stop the opposition at games like that. But at home, and away against clubs without the premier league resources, I expect us to have a game plan to win. On far too many occasions over the last two seasons we sent out teams to stop the opposition. Often with a central midfield of either Skuse and Douglas, or those two plus Hyam. Despite having options on the bench including Johnny Williams, Ted Bishop or whatever.

It's early days and I have only seen one game, Brum at home. First half was quite attritional and Birmingham worked Bart, we didn't work their keeper. Second half much better. I left the ground happy with the win, but happier with our performance and the attitude than I have been for some while. Luton away I understand we played some nice stuff at times. Of course Luton are only Div 2, but in similar cup matches against Lincoln, Pompey, Stevenage and Crawley in recent years we have been awful. So a step in the right direction.

Yesterday the team was a shock. But I am going to give Mick the benefit of the doubt. He has an unbelievable injury list, and we don't know how fit Waghorn and McGoldrick are. He also has to be mindful of the fixture list going forward. I suspect he is still trying to nurse Didz to full fitness, and I suspect Waghorn is not yet fully match fit, so he didn't want to risk them from the start.

I don't think Mick will have truly changed his spots. I think Evans will need to back him further, given the injury situation. The addition of another experienced centre back seems a minimum, and a short term experienced centre mid wouldn't be a bad idea. But whether that is possible is another thing.

If we get to say the Bolton or Sunderland games in September and let's just imagine we have a full squad (less Andre and Smith) available, and he sends Skuse and Hyam out, with Sears and Waghorn on the wing, and we lose, then I am not going to be happy. I want to see Celina, Huws, Didz, Garner, and other attacking options, melded with defensive minded players, who will try and win.

I will give mick the benefit of the doubt for now, given the fact that from a squad availability point of view he has one hand tied behind his back. But thank you for your report. It is frank, honest, and valuable as it is written by somebody who was there. Along with the others I have read from those who travelled. COYB.
Match thoughts on 08:03 - Aug 13 with 3295 viewsYallop

Who was in the middle second half. Iorfa or Spencer in the 442?
Match thoughts on 08:10 - Aug 13 with 3255 viewsBenters

Well done Mach a good honest report as always.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Match thoughts on 08:37 - Aug 13 with 3196 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 08:03 - Aug 13 by Yallop

Who was in the middle second half. Iorfa or Spencer in the 442?

Spence

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 09:02 - Aug 13 with 3137 viewsHerbivore

We set the team up with the same 'stupid' system and similar personnel as in our first 2 games so it seems odd to criticise the manager for sticking with a winning formula and then giving him little credit for changing it when it wasn't working. A football match is played between two teams and Barnsley set themselves up to counter our system well, they managed to isolate our wing backs two on one frequently and that enabled them to get in behind regularly in the first half. If we'd started with a different formation to prevent that from happening then Mick would've been hammered for matching up the opposition. As it was he made adjustments and we won the game through two subs he brought on and yet he's still seen as one of the negatives of the day? Seems very harsh and I wonder what he'd have to do to get some credit from some fans.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Match thoughts on 09:09 - Aug 13 with 3095 viewsLankHenners

Match thoughts on 09:02 - Aug 13 by Herbivore

We set the team up with the same 'stupid' system and similar personnel as in our first 2 games so it seems odd to criticise the manager for sticking with a winning formula and then giving him little credit for changing it when it wasn't working. A football match is played between two teams and Barnsley set themselves up to counter our system well, they managed to isolate our wing backs two on one frequently and that enabled them to get in behind regularly in the first half. If we'd started with a different formation to prevent that from happening then Mick would've been hammered for matching up the opposition. As it was he made adjustments and we won the game through two subs he brought on and yet he's still seen as one of the negatives of the day? Seems very harsh and I wonder what he'd have to do to get some credit from some fans.

Quite. Don't get the 'waiting for something bad to happen before changing it' complaints either, other than constructing a catch 22 to get a dig at Mick in - pretty much every manager in the land changes things if they're not working, and if everything went swimmingly, then there'd be no need to change it in the first place. If we'd been playing well with the 352 and gone in front, then changed to 442, people would have moaned because Mick 'went defensive to hold onto the lead rather than try and score another'.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Match thoughts on 09:15 - Aug 13 with 3075 viewsBluefish

I think made some comments in the week along the lines of because the 3-5-2 has worked so well he almost has to stick with it for now.

One of the great things about football is no matter how much we agree or disagree with each other, whenever I meet up with mach at games we get on great and can chat for ages. Yesterday also involved jumping about with each other like lunatics

Match thoughts on 09:17 - Aug 13 with 3062 viewsdalianwasexciting

Match thoughts on 09:09 - Aug 13 by LankHenners

Quite. Don't get the 'waiting for something bad to happen before changing it' complaints either, other than constructing a catch 22 to get a dig at Mick in - pretty much every manager in the land changes things if they're not working, and if everything went swimmingly, then there'd be no need to change it in the first place. If we'd been playing well with the 352 and gone in front, then changed to 442, people would have moaned because Mick 'went defensive to hold onto the lead rather than try and score another'.

The first half was indeed, awful. Most of the pre-match consternation was around the inclusion of Sears as the second striker over Didz/Celina/Waghorn. However, the real issue was that we did not really have the players to make the 3-5-2 work. Knudsen was awful for those first 45 and improved immensely when he reverted to Left Back. Iorfa, on the other hand, played the wing back role superbly for the first half and with more luck and perhaps more low crosses we may have had a reward - that said by half time we could have been 3 down.

To credit Mick, he did not wait until 60/70 minutes when the game would be lost, but switched the formation and personnel at half time and we looked a different side. Didz oozes class, a great volley and a sublime back heel to start off Waghorns goal were moments to savour.

Going forward, 3-5-2 works but we need the personnel in the team to do it. Spence did not look comfortable at CB and was often out of position - and Chambers had an excellent game bar a couple of lapses as he appeared to be a one man defence at times.

The loss of Smith and Webster did destabilise and we do need to get our midfielder back.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Match thoughts on 09:21 - Aug 13 with 3041 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 09:17 - Aug 13 by dalianwasexciting

The first half was indeed, awful. Most of the pre-match consternation was around the inclusion of Sears as the second striker over Didz/Celina/Waghorn. However, the real issue was that we did not really have the players to make the 3-5-2 work. Knudsen was awful for those first 45 and improved immensely when he reverted to Left Back. Iorfa, on the other hand, played the wing back role superbly for the first half and with more luck and perhaps more low crosses we may have had a reward - that said by half time we could have been 3 down.

To credit Mick, he did not wait until 60/70 minutes when the game would be lost, but switched the formation and personnel at half time and we looked a different side. Didz oozes class, a great volley and a sublime back heel to start off Waghorns goal were moments to savour.

Going forward, 3-5-2 works but we need the personnel in the team to do it. Spence did not look comfortable at CB and was often out of position - and Chambers had an excellent game bar a couple of lapses as he appeared to be a one man defence at times.

The loss of Smith and Webster did destabilise and we do need to get our midfielder back.

Knudsen wasn't awful at all. He had the ball far more than anyone else and we were disjointed. He also spent a long time trying to cover kenlock who seemed to have lost all positional strength and didn't appear to want to be there.

Match thoughts on 09:23 - Aug 13 with 3024 viewsdalianwasexciting

Match thoughts on 09:21 - Aug 13 by Bluefish

Knudsen wasn't awful at all. He had the ball far more than anyone else and we were disjointed. He also spent a long time trying to cover kenlock who seemed to have lost all positional strength and didn't appear to want to be there.

The game is one of opinions - personally he did not seem at it first half - especially when compared to his 2nd half performance. The whole defence looked jittery in the first half, and I agree Kenlock was way way off.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Match thoughts on 09:51 - Aug 13 with 2952 viewsMach_foreignBlue

As I've said before if we had been drawing 0-0 or 1-1 at half time he would have stuck with that system in the second half. Do you really believe he would have made attacking changes at half time? It's them changes who turned out to be the key. In fact those changes ought to have been made during the first half as we looked like a poor relegation outfit.

'If we'd started with a different formation to prevent that from happening then Mick would've been hammered for matching up the opposition'.......... What are you on about? He just set up the team for matching up the opposition yestertday. Perhaps you disagree but it seemed the case. Little threat upfront, two deep sitting midfielders in front of central backs. We created practically nothing in the first half. I've said it before too that second half showed it can be done and we can attack an opposition.
Match thoughts on 10:00 - Aug 13 with 2906 viewsHerbivore

Match thoughts on 09:51 - Aug 13 by Mach_foreignBlue

As I've said before if we had been drawing 0-0 or 1-1 at half time he would have stuck with that system in the second half. Do you really believe he would have made attacking changes at half time? It's them changes who turned out to be the key. In fact those changes ought to have been made during the first half as we looked like a poor relegation outfit.

'If we'd started with a different formation to prevent that from happening then Mick would've been hammered for matching up the opposition'.......... What are you on about? He just set up the team for matching up the opposition yestertday. Perhaps you disagree but it seemed the case. Little threat upfront, two deep sitting midfielders in front of central backs. We created practically nothing in the first half. I've said it before too that second half showed it can be done and we can attack an opposition.

Yes he'd have changed it as we were leaking loads of chances and creating very little ourselves. We didn't match them up at all, we played a formation that has worked for us in our first two games but completely played into Barnsley's hands. We matched them up more second half and our greater quality told. Matching up isn't always a bad thing, as we saw yesterday, it helps to stifle the opposition and to earn us the right to play. Our failure in the first half yesterday was precisely because we didn't match the opposition up and our system allowed them to get in behind us far too easily.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2017 10:04]

Match thoughts on 10:02 - Aug 13 with 2893 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 10:00 - Aug 13 by Herbivore

Yes he'd have changed it as we were leaking loads of chances and creating very little ourselves. We didn't match them up at all, we played a formation that has worked for us in our first two games but completely played into Barnsley's hands. We matched them up more second half and our greater quality told. Matching up isn't always a bad thing, as we saw yesterday, it helps to stifle the opposition and to earn us the right to play. Our failure in the first half yesterday was precisely because we didn't match the opposition up and our system allowed them to get in behind us far too easily.

We see it differently so I disagree.

You haven't answered the question. Do you think the changes would have been made at half time it the result had been 0-0 or 1-1?
Match thoughts on 10:07 - Aug 13 with 2854 viewsHerbivore

Match thoughts on 10:02 - Aug 13 by Mach_foreignBlue

We see it differently so I disagree.

You haven't answered the question. Do you think the changes would have been made at half time it the result had been 0-0 or 1-1?

I answered that in the first sentence of my previous reply, Mach. I think he would have changed it as we were leaking chances and not creating ourselves. It was clear we needed to change shape and the manager thankfully new exactly what shape we needed to change to in order to address the issues from the first half. I'm not sure why you think he'd have continued with a formation that wasn't working.

We do disagree (fairly often) but that's football. Glad you enjoyed the second half and ultimately the result. If we can win when we're not at our best and we've got several players out injured that's not a bad sign for the season ahead.

Match thoughts on 10:18 - Aug 13 with 2823 viewsGuthrum

Leaving aside questions of how we got into that situation, I find it very encouraging that in a game where we have a slew of players missing, the set-up wasn't working, some of the team had off-days and we're struggling a goal down away from home, Ipswich now have a squad where a couple of subs and a change of system can not only get us level, but actually go on to win the match.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Match thoughts on 10:27 - Aug 13 with 2783 viewsHerbivore

Match thoughts on 10:18 - Aug 13 by Guthrum

Leaving aside questions of how we got into that situation, I find it very encouraging that in a game where we have a slew of players missing, the set-up wasn't working, some of the team had off-days and we're struggling a goal down away from home, Ipswich now have a squad where a couple of subs and a change of system can not only get us level, but actually go on to win the match.

Yes, that's really encouraging. Despite having a quite ridiculous injury list at the moment we were still able to bring on quality like McGoldrick and Waghorn to change that game for us, and we had Celina there too ready to make an impact if needed. If we can get through this mini crisis at CB and in CM we'll be in a real position of strength with great options in every position. Even in our play off season we didn't have that and it was partly tired legs in the second half of the season that led to us tailing off. The ability to rotate at this level is important.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024