Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats 06:54 - Aug 16 with 3648 viewsDBaldy

In our 3 league wins we've had 8 shots on target, 7 of which have been goals.

So is this the result of good finishing, luck, or the law of averages catching up from last season?
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:00 - Aug 16 with 3612 viewsGiveusaWave

So, basically every time we shoot we score a goal? That will put fear in the opposition....

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:49 - Aug 16 with 3473 viewsHerbivore

We've had decent chances where we've failed to hit the target. Shots on target is a largely meaningless stat so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:52 - Aug 16 with 3460 viewsDubtractor

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:49 - Aug 16 by Herbivore

We've had decent chances where we've failed to hit the target. Shots on target is a largely meaningless stat so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Sears v Brum for example.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:56 - Aug 16 with 3441 viewsHerbivore

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:52 - Aug 16 by Dubtractor

Sears v Brum for example.

Exactly, arguably the best chance we've created this season and it didn't hit the target.

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 08:45 - Aug 16 with 3359 viewsfactual_blue

Where's Cotty when we need him?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 10:00 - Aug 16 with 3250 viewsdpilgrim

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 07:49 - Aug 16 by Herbivore

This is a terrible statement Herbivore. As a professional gambler who uses shot data as the primary means of analysis I can assure you this is NOT meaningless.

Last season for example the average shots on target to produce one goal was 3.25. After 46 games, no side deviated from that 3.25 by more than 0.9 SOT per goal - I.e the range was 2.6 to 4.1, with 18 of the 24 sides wihin the 2.65-3.65 range.

Statisitcally speaking, Shots and Shots on Goal are the BEST indicator of future success, which has me worried for the season. Ipswich's Shots data would imply that a "fair" result over the three games would have seen them score 3 and conceed 6, while the SOT stats would suggest they should have scored 2.6 goals and conceeded 6. The samples are small, but to have won all three matches has almost certainly been due to a large slice of luck.

No team or player would sustain the sort of conversion we are seeing thus far.
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 18:50 - Aug 16 with 3117 viewsHerbivore

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 10:00 - Aug 16 by dpilgrim

This is a terrible statement Herbivore. As a professional gambler who uses shot data as the primary means of analysis I can assure you this is NOT meaningless.

Last season for example the average shots on target to produce one goal was 3.25. After 46 games, no side deviated from that 3.25 by more than 0.9 SOT per goal - I.e the range was 2.6 to 4.1, with 18 of the 24 sides wihin the 2.65-3.65 range.

Statisitcally speaking, Shots and Shots on Goal are the BEST indicator of future success, which has me worried for the season. Ipswich's Shots data would imply that a "fair" result over the three games would have seen them score 3 and conceed 6, while the SOT stats would suggest they should have scored 2.6 goals and conceeded 6. The samples are small, but to have won all three matches has almost certainly been due to a large slice of luck.

Sounds like a load of b0llocks, mate.

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 19:35 - Aug 16 with 3052 viewsJakeITFC

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 18:50 - Aug 16 by Herbivore

Unfortunately, it isn't.

That isn't to say that we are stuffed - the sample sizes are so small that it's hard to gain any real opinion in either direction yet. Not rocket science to suggest that we need to have more quality shots than we allow to win football games.
Login to get fewer ads

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 19:49 - Aug 16 with 3015 viewsHarryfromBath

We are so much more clinical and you could sense this in both the Millwall crowd and their defenders every time we attacked last night. In severe contrast to last season, having a potent attack changes everything and definitely contributed to our playing with more character. If the boys up front are firing in goals, it boosts everyone's self-belief. Happy days.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:11 - Aug 16 with 2963 viewsITFCBlues

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 19:35 - Aug 16 by JakeITFC

Unfortunately, it isn't.

That isn't to say that we are stuffed - the sample sizes are so small that it's hard to gain any real opinion in either direction yet. Not rocket science to suggest that we need to have more quality shots than we allow to win football games.

I'm fairly confident that we will improve all over when we can pick from a fully fit squad.

For now, it's all about grinding out results

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:18 - Aug 16 with 2950 viewsMullet

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 10:00 - Aug 16 by dpilgrim

But that's just playing a game and not based in reality.

That's the problem with stats in general, but more so with reliance on them. The whole joy of being a football fan is doing away with that nonsense and enjoying the ride.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:26 - Aug 16 with 2928 viewsbraveblue

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 18:50 - Aug 16 by Herbivore

Well thought out accurate answer. You'll get slaughtered.
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:30 - Aug 16 with 2912 viewsDarth_Koont

Over a season I'm sure you're right. But in the small sample of matches we've played we were supposedly heavily outgunned by Barnsley and Millwall in terms of shots on goal. But there weren't that many gilt-edged chances with a number hit from an angle or they just squirmed or looped through to Bart. Ours on the other hand have generally been pretty decent chances often in open space.

Yes, we need to create more chances in the long-term but I think we will when we have a midfield that can contain and pressure the opposition better. That'll presumably also cut down their chances.

Pronouns: He/Him

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:31 - Aug 16 with 2899 viewsJakeITFC

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:11 - Aug 16 by ITFCBlues

I'm fairly confident that we will improve all over when we can pick from a fully fit squad.

For now, it's all about grinding out results

Sure, but the point still stands.
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:37 - Aug 16 with 2874 viewsjas0999

That's football. Another day we may have twenty shots and fail to score.
So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 08:40 - Aug 17 with 2661 viewsRIPbobby

So according to the BBC sport website reports and stats on 20:18 - Aug 16 by Mullet

But that's just playing a game and not based in reality.

That's the problem with stats in general, but more so with reliance on them. The whole joy of being a football fan is doing away with that nonsense and enjoying the ride.

Stats only go so far. For instance 20% of deaths on the road are caused by drunk drivers. That means 80% are totally sober. So statistically speaking the roads are safer with drink drivers on it.

So stats don't always portray a clear picture.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024