Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spence 08:20 - Aug 16 with 4991 viewsHerbivore

Why on earth did MK Dons let him go and how was he still a free agent in January? Thought he was largely very good last season when he came in and he's done great again this time around so far. Loved seeing him get that goal and the celebration that followed and him just cracking on like a true pro despite having to play out of position for the last 2 games. Proper player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Spence on 08:32 - Aug 16 with 4208 viewsitfcjoe

I imagine he was a higher earner so when they went down they were using a cheaper a cheaper youth product to replace him rather than renew.

He seemed to be a bit unlucky as a free agent when I spoke to him last year - was waiting for right opportunity and then missed the boat and it got really hard. Close to being offered things at a couple of clubs and then it fell through for various reasons out of his control.

Very surprised we didn't pick him up after the initial trial, but glad we did after the 2nd one - his sweeping last night was very good. Struggled a bit physically as to be expected but overall had a good game topped off with a great header

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Spence on 08:32 - Aug 16 with 4218 viewsGuthrum

All about set up, atmosphere and the team he's playing in. Waghorn is the same, the Rangers fans putting him down as something of a disappointment whaen he left them, suddenly flowers at Ipswich. Things just click in the right place with the right people for that individual player.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Spence on 08:44 - Aug 16 with 4111 viewsGiveusaWave

Spence on 08:32 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

All about set up, atmosphere and the team he's playing in. Waghorn is the same, the Rangers fans putting him down as something of a disappointment whaen he left them, suddenly flowers at Ipswich. Things just click in the right place with the right people for that individual player.

Agree. Spence has settled in at the club and knows he's loved by the fans, which gives him extra motivation. Same with Waghorn and Garner. But big shock he wasn't snapped up by Brum etc. When players have had trials at a few clubs with no contract, managers start to ask "what's wrong with him?" Nobody wants to gamble. To be fair on MIck, he did take that gamble and it's turned out to be a very good one. I'd say he's one of the best and most consistent players at the club.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

Spence on 08:48 - Aug 16 with 4078 viewsPJH

My MOTM last night even without his goal.
Spence on 08:49 - Aug 16 with 4071 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Rare that we've ever had a "centre back" who has the ability to beat 3 or 4 players with a mazy run. Prefer to see him at RB though. He's an excellent player but lost a few headers against Morrison, could prove costly in other games. Proper player on all levels, and probably our best free transfer in last few years.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

Spence on 08:49 - Aug 16 with 4066 viewsBlueBadger

I reckon that Waghorn is thriving now that he's playing at a higher level of football.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Spence on 08:50 - Aug 16 with 4060 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Spence on 08:48 - Aug 16 by PJH

My MOTM last night even without his goal.

My MOTM also.

MMcCarthyisaGod

Spence on 08:52 - Aug 16 with 4036 viewsDanTheMan

Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick seem to be building quite a nice little trio between them.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Spence on 08:55 - Aug 16 with 4013 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Spence on 08:52 - Aug 16 by DanTheMan

Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick seem to be building quite a nice little trio between them.

Sears has potential also, needs to rebuild his confidence with a goal.

MMcCarthyisaGod

Spence on 09:18 - Aug 16 with 3862 viewsHeathlander

I think he is doing so well because up front we have garner and Waghorn - the Power Rangers.
Spence on 09:31 - Aug 16 with 3784 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Spence on 09:18 - Aug 16 by Heathlander

I think he is doing so well because up front we have garner and Waghorn - the Power Rangers.

Wonder if we could sign his wife up on a short term contract as centre-back?

MMcCarthyisaGod

Spence on 09:57 - Aug 16 with 3686 viewsBent_double

Exactly. It always bugs me when we're linked with a player from another club, and some fans come out with the, "why are we going for him, he's pants" line.

Some players just don't fit in with their current club/aren't happy/aren't liked by the manager/fans, but move to another club where they instantly become a club legend!

Maybe MM got lucky with Spence, maybe it's down to the financial situation, who knows, but happy he's here and doing well for us.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Spence on 10:11 - Aug 16 with 3605 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Credit to MM for seeing what others didnt.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Spence on 11:02 - Aug 16 with 3439 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Comes across as a really, really nice guy too.

Poll: Best Football Song

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 11:08 - Aug 16 with 3402 viewsBloots

Spence on 11:02 - Aug 16 by RoyKeanesDog

Comes across as a really, really nice guy too.

...more than our fair share of articulate footballers.

At least in comparison to the normal footballer intellect level.

I wonder if this is a coincidence or a reflection in the recruitment policy?

Who was the last proper thicky we had?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Spence on 11:13 - Aug 16 with 3379 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Perhaps he turned down a new deal with MK Dons as he felt he could perform at a higher level. He's proven himself right!

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Spence on 11:14 - Aug 16 with 3375 viewsPhilTWTD

I think MK Dons let him go as he was out of contract at a time when they were looking to cut costs following their relegation and they also had George Baldock who played right-back.

Agree, was surprising we were still able to sign him January, he impressed when he was here on trial earlier in the season, from what I gather. Think he had had offers elsewhere but deals broke down for whatever reason.
Spence on 11:19 - Aug 16 with 3340 viewsBOjK

Spence on 09:57 - Aug 16 by Bent_double

Exactly. It always bugs me when we're linked with a player from another club, and some fans come out with the, "why are we going for him, he's pants" line.

Some players just don't fit in with their current club/aren't happy/aren't liked by the manager/fans, but move to another club where they instantly become a club legend!

Maybe MM got lucky with Spence, maybe it's down to the financial situation, who knows, but happy he's here and doing well for us.

I'm usually pretty open-minded with our signings, but I do remember feeling particularly underwhelmed by the signing of Alan Lee who couldn't get into the first team of Cardiff who were a good bit below us in the league at the time.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 11:39 - Aug 16 with 3276 viewsbritbiker

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 11:08 - Aug 16 by Bloots

Taylor comes to mind in the nasty and thickie mould. Chopra on the other hand I would say just a thickie.
Spence on 11:46 - Aug 16 with 3250 viewsbritbiker

Spence on 09:57 - Aug 16 by Bent_double

Agree with you regarding players that don't fit a system. Pitman comes to mind. Thought he read the game brilliantly however he was unfortunate to be playing for us when we had a very poor midfield.
I also liked Lisbie, he scored at all his clubs but his strength was running behind the last defender. Again he was unfortunate to be playing for us when we liked to use the high ball to the attackers. Poor sod looked about five foot tall so has no chance. Thought he got stick unfairly.
Two good points.... on 11:48 - Aug 16 with 3242 viewsBloots

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 11:39 - Aug 16 by britbiker

Taylor comes to mind in the nasty and thickie mould. Chopra on the other hand I would say just a thickie.

...well made.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 13:03 - Aug 16 with 3058 viewsSpruceMoose

Taylor?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Our recent teams seem to have.... (n/t) on 14:50 - Aug 16 with 2887 viewsbritbiker

Our recent teams seem to have.... on 13:03 - Aug 16 by SpruceMoose

Taylor?

Yes Paul Taylor, the striker we got from Peterborough. Just seen a pic of him on Google. The pic says it all.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 14:54]
Spence on 15:18 - Aug 16 with 2831 viewsNo9

One of MM's best signings to date
Our recent teams seem to have.... on 15:45 - Aug 16 with 2752 viewstheblueginger

Delaney and Leadbitter looked and sounded a bit simple.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024