Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know we've all seen this before... 06:02 - Aug 19 with 2427 viewsGunnsAirkick

For those that don't know, I recently lost my Dad to cancer. I'm still not over it.

I'm sure the clip below isn't helping things, but it reminded me of one of the last football related things he said to me.

"Just you remember boy, we were so lucky. Don't forget it."

I write this with tears streaming down my face. I love my Dad, and the pride from watching the clip below cannot be measured.

I take huge pride in all these clips they mention Ipswich. I don't give a feck what budgies say, that sort of thing does matter and they will never partake.

[Post edited 19 Aug 2017 6:06]
I know we've all seen this before... on 06:36 - Aug 19 with 2361 viewsTLA

Hey Gunners - I hope you're OK.

Watching that clip gets me a little teary every time - what a man! If watching Sit Bobby reminds you of your dad, that's not a bad thing, even if it heightens emotions.

I remember driving home from Norwich when I heard Sir Bobby had passed and I cried like a baby!

I'm not sure we ever get over losing people but we make what they meant to us an even bigger part of our lives.

I hope to catch you on a train from Norwich to a match sometime soon.

Take care fella.
I know we've all seen this before... on 06:47 - Aug 19 with 2341 viewsBenters

Gunners what you are going through is a natural process,we all grieve in different ways,there is no time limit to it either.

I lost my father and brother to this cunit of a disease and as you know im going through it myself now,my father passed away 20yrs ago,and my brother 13yrs ago,but i still think ablout them most days,i just dont cry anymore.

Stay strong bro.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I know we've all seen this before... on 06:53 - Aug 19 with 2332 viewsGlasgowBlue

It may give you some small comfort to know that it gets easier as the years go by mate. I'm ashamed to say that my dad died of lung cancer 13years ago yesterday and the date completely passed me by. If somebody had told me that even five years ago I wouldn't have believed them.

For the first few years there wasn't a day when I didn't think about him. Then after a while there wasn't a week, then a month.

Even now a song will come on the radio that takes me back to the days we spent together. Or something will come in the news and I wonder what my old man would have made if that.

He was a Southampton fan although when we moved to Essex when I was 11 we went to Ipswich for every hime game and he took me to the Cup final in 78. Great days but the most excited I ever saw him was when Bobby Stokes scored for the Saints at Wembley in 77.

I remember a few years after he passed, when Southampton reached the cup final again, I faced his picture towards the TV screen so he could "watch" the game, silly I know. It didn't bring them much luck that day.

Anyway, stay strong mate and have happy thoughts.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I know we've all seen this before... on 09:27 - Aug 19 with 2170 viewsDebsyAngel

Hope things get easier for you soon - I really feel for you.and cannot do much else than offer my deep condolences and RIP to your Dad x
I know we've all seen this before... on 10:32 - Aug 19 with 2100 viewsstrikalite

I lost my Father just over three years ago, I still can't believe he's gone, he was my reason for supporting Town, he used to take my everywhere as a boy, FA Cup final, Uefa Cup final, 2 Cup semi finals, seen us beat Barca 3-1, Man Utd 6-0, had a ST from the age of 5-15 so saw all the great times....he went to Millwall in the Cup where we beat them 6-2, wouldn't take me to that one ha....I could go on and on....someone shut me up :)

He always used to remind me how lucky I was too, "you'll never see all this again" he used to say, he was originally from the West Midlands and was brought up at school with kids supporting the likes of Villa, Wolves, WBA, Birmingham( he actually played youth football for Kidderminster and was offered a contact, but went to Bristish Sugar as a Chemist instead, back then the money would have been similar so knowing football is pretty short lived he made that decision....he later moved to Ipswich) massively supported Clubs back then who would have killed to have what we had season on season(I'll add here though that Villa were up with us in fairness in the 80's).....we used to go back to Kidderminster during school holidays where we have family and visting relatives who were football mad, Ipswich made me feel incredibly proud thinking back to my visits, we always seemed to be first on MOTD too, my Father used to joke about this with relatives...he would say " I can see the envy in our Marks eyes.." in his slight Brummy accent...

I still can't look at his photo at my Mums.....I miss him hugely, he was always there and I never thanked him enough for what he did throughout my childhood and memories of Town..

You'll always have your memories mate, what utterly fantastic ones they were too!!!

COYB'S!!
I know we've all seen this before... on 10:38 - Aug 19 with 2089 viewsHarryfromBath

I'm so sorry for loss, Gunners - it can catch you unawares as well, something triggering a memory or a connection, but the grieving process is a natural one. I lost my Dad in 1990 and still have memories which remind me of times we had together.

As the years have passed, I remember him less in his later ill days (he had a series of mini-strokes ahead of a cardiac arrest) and think more about how he was when I was a child and I realise how brilliant a time we did have together.

One of the most consoling lines I ever read actually came from Sirius Black in one of the Harry Potter books: "The ones who love us never really leave us, you can always find them in here [your heart]." It's a favourite because I happen to believe it to be so true.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

I know we've all seen this before... on 11:21 - Aug 19 with 2034 viewsEdwardF

hi and so sorry to hear of your loss.

When i lost someone really close to me i was a mess, almost overwhelmed with grief and then somebody said this to me:

''If i had a pill right now to give you that would take away all the pain but would also take way all the memories, would you take it?''

The answer of course is no.

The one thing we all know about grief is that there are no short cuts.
You cannot go over grief. you cannot go under grief, you cannot go round grief. You need to go through grief.

You will go through and one day smile at your lovely memories of your dad.
G

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024