Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gutted to miss yesterday 08:55 - Aug 20 with 748 viewsGarv

Was gutted when I knew I was going to miss it because I knew it was likely to be an entertaining game with our makeshift defence and attacking options.

How did we play and what do we think of Waghorn? Did he have much joy out wide aside from his goal?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Gutted to miss yesterday on 09:16 - Aug 20 with 710 viewsSteve_M

I still think playing four strikers means we'll struggle a bit for possession. I thought Waghorn was out of the game a bit at times but he has more ability on the ball than I realised and picked out some lovely passes.

Yes, it was definitely entertaining, Brentford were very good for half an hour but once we got into the game we generally restricted their chances, the exception being the spell before half-time when they hit the bar.

Henner's report is the best from yesterday.

Knudsen's off his Knut! Thoughts on today. by LankHenners 19 Aug 2017 19:11
After being away for the the visit of 'Arry's mob, today marked my first viewing of the Town team taking a lot of people by surprise and some sections getting the ingredients to humble pie together.

Waiting by Sir Bobby's statue chatting to a couple of friends, one of which admitted to having a bite of the aforementioned pastry after being a firm 'Mick outer' last term. Anyway, into the ground to chat to the old boy who had clearly kept the faith and his season ticket from last year. "You know I just wasn't expecting this!" he exclaimed. Neither was I, neither was anyone.

Kick off and the electronic boards stopped working, so timing was educated guesswork (I couldn't be @rsed to keep pulling my phone out of my pocket). Bart behind a back four of Iorfa, Spence, Knudsen and Kenlock, sub skipper Skuse and Ward patrolled the middle with Sears and Waghorn either side. Garner and McGoldrick set themselves in the forward positions.

Brentford started with good tempo - Motokjo providing a good base for the tenacious Yennaris and the bustling Sawyers to move the ball around well. The South African Motokjo should have done better with a shot after a corner, whilst Yennaris had a similar opportunity from outside the box which Bart held well. Watkins had a go near post which the Pole tipped behind whilst ex-Gunner Yennaris later smashed the crossbar. Brentford looked confident that they'd soon find a breakthrough.

The wiry back four held their own and made several vital blocks, Knudsen throwing any body part he could at the ball, whilst Skuse (who along with Ward initially looked overwhelmed by Brentford's movement) made one superb interception followed by a lovely through ball which Sears ultimately wasted when 2-on-2 in the Bees' box. The blocks kept coming and we began to stifle Brentford as the half wore on - Watkins and Jozefzoon in particular being made to look toothless in their wide positions.

Then: a slack ball, a sharp spot by Skuse who took control, knocking it on to McGoldrick who slipped in between a couple of defender and looked to have quite clearly been shoved over. Whilst most players stopped to look at the ref, Waghorn kept playing and swept the ball past a stranded Bentley to put us 1-0 up. Undeserved perhaps on the balance of things but we'd begun to make life tough for Brentford and Waghorn's razor sharp instinct was proof that we're looking far more clinical this season and in this division that can really be the difference between one part of the table and another.

Bentley spread himself wide to save a McGoldrick shot before half time and Jozefzoon tamely headed straight at Bart. HT. A freestyle showing some nice skills. Celina and Rowe having their own little game in the warm-up. The second half begun.

Two incidents just before half time gave me confidence we'd go on to win this: Sawyers was booked for slamming the ball on the floor and arguing with the ref, believing a throw-in to be given the wrong way, whilst Maupay (more in a bit) gave the ref an earful and was shown the yellow plastic in return.

This frustration boiled over into the second half and Brentford didn't look as settled, with their balls from wide areas poor and their shots becoming more and more desperate. Before that, there were some talking points.

Strong play from the athletic Iorfa won a corner. Ward delivered and Garner fought his way in front of his man to guide the ball towards the corner. Yennaris looked like he'd cleared it but the ref/linesman corrected him, and sent the players and fans in blue into jubilation.

An unlikely source nearly grabbed a third. Garner brought a ball from Kenlock down superbly, tip-toed inside the box, pushed it out to a sprinting Skuse whose shot looked destined for the corner until Barbet managed to deflect it behind. The stand-in skipper really stepped it up as the game went on, contributing defensively whilst driving forwards and making good passes forwards.

With what felt like roughly 20 minutes played, Maupay was replaced by Vibe. The Frenchman had helped get the 15,000-odd crowd going with his theatrics and nastiness (going down to the floor under little pressure, staying put until the ball went out of play when he got up and sprinted over to the ref). Boos and chants of 'vvanker' and 'you're fcking sh!t' rang out again and the little prick was laughed off.

He more than anyone epitomised Brentford's fans: annoying, whiny, always felt he should have something he didn't deserve and was ultimately made to look the prat.

Anyway, since then we looked comfortable, Brentford evidently frustrated, Vibe's afternoon being a short one when he was replaced by Theo Archibald, and the occasionally flashy but always ineffective Jozefzoon taken off for Josh Clarke. Sawyers tried to impersonate Edgar Davids in more than looks but became stroppy as his and his team's passing became slower and less incisive, with Spence and Knudsen blocking as if it were to save their lives.

An absolutely sublime last-ditch tackle by Barbet denied Garner when put through by a sumptuous Kenlock through ball showed how we had turned the table and ultimately walked to victory, Downes and Nydam coming on and not looking out of place.

Bart made several important stops, and barring one moment off flappy handedness, controlled his area well. Kenlock grew into the game and in the 2nd half refused to be beaten one-on-one, making good interceptions and looking like the boy who was a silver lining in last season's misty cloud. Iorfa's pace and athleticism got him out of missed tackles and mis-controls, whilst making 2 or 3 super sprints forwards - we'll grow to really like him.

Spence was superb, not a foot wrong, and his partner in crime arguably was one step better. Complete nutter, the pair of them were on a bruise cruise - their defending looked desperate but they were comfortable. As alluded to by Mick Mills after the game, the lack of long balls and big physical striker for Brentford played to their strengths but they were both so so impressive. Confidence that we can battle through this injury-ridden spell.

Skuse stepped up as captain. Always there for us after a Bees dominated first 30 mins, calmed things down and looked the midfield general people wish he was more often. Ward covered so much grass and was involved in great bits at both ends of the pitch - looks a real player this year.

Waghorn not so much involved but worked hard defensively and was there again to sweep home the ball. Played straight up front he'd 'do' more but as long as he makes vital contributions he's fine on the right for now. Sears ran tirelessly but had several second touches as tackles, whilst again didn't seem so sharp in an attacking sense. I guess you'd lose a bit of the workrate with Celina or Rowe but I'd be tempted to let the former get a start soon.

McGoldrick classy - did a touch too much at times but dropped deep when necessary and is such a smooth operator that he really makes us as a whole look much better. Garner was a real warrior - we'll love him more than we already do. Stole him off Rangers - p!ssed off the Brentford defense and, especially in the second half, held the ball up well and took the pressure off.

Overall then a very satisfactory day. Knudsen glanced at Skuse like a quivering dog waiting for his owner to give him the command to dive into his bowl of food as he walked towards the North Stand. Skuse gave him the nod, and my choice for MOTM punched the fck out of the air like Bruce Lee in his prime slamming a villain in the gut.

Most pleasing was the way we rode out Brentfor's early pressure and made them look powerless. A real team performance that most certainly hailed back to our most recent play-off season - drive, desire, players throwing themselves on the line for each other, battlers, big celebrations, a mutual love for the fans.

We might just keep on surprising a few as we march onto tougher tests.

And march on strong we will.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024