Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any keepers on here 17:04 - Aug 20 with 1593 viewsCrawfordsboot

..who can tell me why keepers leave the near post to free kicks and cover the far post. Watching Alonso's free kick against Spurs the keeper didn't have a chance. His starting position was all wrong failing to cover the shortest distance to goal. Surely starting a step or two to his left he might have reached it. Had the shot instead gone to the far post he would have had more time to get to it.
What am I missing here?
Any keepers on here on 17:07 - Aug 20 with 1572 viewsMullet

Do you mean leaving a direct shot at the near post? Having to put it over/around a wall is much harder and means you can't just smash it.

I'm not watching the game, so might have missed something really obvious. But you always cover the near post with a wall because players have to curl it up and over then.

Keepers still have to be on their toes and able to move the right way though with enough distance to cover either side. Maybe the keeper sighted it wrong and was a step too far over?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Any keepers on here on 17:10 - Aug 20 with 1549 viewsCrawfordsboot

Any keepers on here on 17:07 - Aug 20 by Mullet

Do you mean leaving a direct shot at the near post? Having to put it over/around a wall is much harder and means you can't just smash it.

I'm not watching the game, so might have missed something really obvious. But you always cover the near post with a wall because players have to curl it up and over then.

Keepers still have to be on their toes and able to move the right way though with enough distance to cover either side. Maybe the keeper sighted it wrong and was a step too far over?

It was a hell of a free kick but he simply gambled that it wouldn't get up and down. Once it was on target he had no chance
Any keepers on here on 17:20 - Aug 20 with 1504 viewsCanadianBlue

Easier to run forwards than backwards. Better vision of the area and incoming ball. Able to direct defenders better.
Any keepers on here on 17:49 - Aug 20 with 1436 viewsCrawfordsboot

Any keepers on here on 17:20 - Aug 20 by CanadianBlue

Easier to run forwards than backwards. Better vision of the area and incoming ball. Able to direct defenders better.

The Spurs keeper has just let one go straight through him so makes no difference where he stands!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2017 17:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024