Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those who went tonight? 21:47 - Aug 22 with 10677 viewsNorth_London_Blue

After Downes, Nydam and Woolfenden, would you stick any of them on the bench on Saturday or at any stage on that basis? Curious to know who in particular looked like they could make that step up. Obviously they all did us proud and it sounds really heartening for the future
For those who went tonight? on 09:03 - Aug 23 with 3281 viewschicoazul

For those who went tonight? on 22:09 - Aug 22 by tractorboy1978

Mick doesn't carry players though does he? Regardless of how much talent he has, he won't trust someone that gives the ball away cheaply in the wrong areas. I think keeping Celina happy is going to be a tough task, I really do.

Think Cellina will be gone by January time unless we have a big injury to one of the current front 4, and as our midfielders come back he may have even fewer chances.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

For those who went tonight? on 09:36 - Aug 23 with 3252 viewschristiand

For those who went tonight? on 08:34 - Aug 23 by textbackup

I'm gonna say it, if we finish top 10 and these young boys get game time.... I'd offer MM another contract.

As long as MM is prepared to keep adapting and embrace change then I have no problem with this. The teams that are successful - continuity is the key. Based on last night we have a lot of young players that have good temperaments and have the ability to cope with first team football. I think a few of them surprised MM, not sure if he felt they had the mental side to their game going into this match; they have certainly given him plenty to think about. Very exciting to be a town fan atm!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

For those who went tonight? on 12:04 - Aug 23 with 3160 viewsWickets

For those who went tonight? on 22:44 - Aug 22 by Coco

You know, to me McDonnell is one of those players that if was dropped into the first team woul grow and grow with each game and become a genuinely top player. Obviously not to the same level but much like Harry Kane he just needs the trust of a run of games. No real reason to think this just have a vibe. Wish he was given games ahead of Dougie last season.

I don't want to go over old ground too much but as someone who has watched the under 23's i can remember being shot at on here by some for suggesting Mick has got it wrong with his use of Douglas instead of some of our younger lads , i think Mick has now proved himself wrong last season. We all live and learn.
For those who went tonight? on 12:13 - Aug 23 with 3144 viewsSteve_M

For those who went tonight? on 09:03 - Aug 23 by chicoazul

Think Cellina will be gone by January time unless we have a big injury to one of the current front 4, and as our midfielders come back he may have even fewer chances.

No, he'll take a while to adjust to this league like Lawrence did last season and then be a big player for us. We can't keep playing with four strikers and expect to prosper.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

For those who went tonight? on 13:35 - Aug 23 with 3083 viewstractorboy1978

For those who went tonight? on 00:58 - Aug 23 by N2_Blue

He didn't give it away in the wrong areas though! Yes a little frustrating and not all came off but much the same could be said of Lawrence. There is a player in there, his attitude will be whether he's a Mick player or not and I think he's doing the right things.....nothing wrong with being frustrated at not being involved. I wouldn't expect him to be happy on the bench.

Didn't celebrate his goal, just got the ball and wanted to try get the equaliser...that says a lot!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 1:04]

I wasn't there, just quoting Mick who said he "delights and frustrates in equal measure - gave the ball away cheaply a few times in wrong areas".

I think he looks a fantastic talent and clearly has ability but Mick does obviously have a small reservation there. I hope we can really get the best out of him and he becomes a regular because that is evidently what he (and Man City probably) are expecting.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 13:37]
For those who went tonight? on 13:41 - Aug 23 with 3070 viewsMullet

For those who went tonight? on 12:04 - Aug 23 by Wickets

I don't want to go over old ground too much but as someone who has watched the under 23's i can remember being shot at on here by some for suggesting Mick has got it wrong with his use of Douglas instead of some of our younger lads , i think Mick has now proved himself wrong last season. We all live and learn.

Based on what we saw coming through, the only one who was ready last season was McDonnell and we know now why he wasn't being used.

None of the kids coming through last season were setting things alight, in the case of Nydam he was 16 and Downes 17, Douglas was well past it but over the course of 6 months in the Championship it was the right call.

Dozzell wasn't ready and the best of the bunch, it's interesting to see how people are edging the narrative to be all about Mick changing, but ignoring how circumstance has too which is far more important.

After all MM still played more kids than all but one team last season. Along with 442 Mick, the myths kept getting shattered even during our worst season.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

For those who went tonight? on 15:03 - Aug 23 with 3016 viewsPilgrimblue

For those who went tonight? on 01:56 - Aug 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Downes - Absolutely superb.

Woolfenden - built like a 28 year old and had the calm head of one as well

Folami - held the ball up better than anyone I've seen up front for us since murph asides from garner

Nydam - Really looked good as a left back

Special mentions for Webber, Gerken, Celina and McDonnell as well who I though were excellent.

All three were excellent. I'd say the top 2 will be on the bench plus Gerken

Good to hear your thoughts on Folami as I too rate him. Haven't seen the Woolf or Webber yet.
With so many games coming up I expect some will get their chance sooner or later
For those who went tonight? on 21:46 - Aug 23 with 2947 views3_5_2

For those who went tonight? on 22:02 - Aug 22 by bluelou

I'd argue starting those three on that performance!

Webber, Rowe and Folami were the others that stood out.
Celina was frustrating. Don't fancy his chances with Mick

I've seen Folami a couple of times this year and rate him. Also been told by someone very close to the club he is well thought of but needs to work harder without the ball. Not just a MM requirement but by any pro club. Has bags of talent and potential.

Seems it's down to him now.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

For those who went tonight? on 22:05 - Aug 23 with 2926 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

For those who went tonight? on 15:03 - Aug 23 by Pilgrimblue

Good to hear your thoughts on Folami as I too rate him. Haven't seen the Woolf or Webber yet.
With so many games coming up I expect some will get their chance sooner or later

I was hoping to see Morris start but as it turned out, folami up top with Celina in behind was a good formula

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

For those who went tonight? on 23:14 - Aug 23 with 2885 viewsArnieM

For those who went tonight? on 09:36 - Aug 23 by christiand

As long as MM is prepared to keep adapting and embrace change then I have no problem with this. The teams that are successful - continuity is the key. Based on last night we have a lot of young players that have good temperaments and have the ability to cope with first team football. I think a few of them surprised MM, not sure if he felt they had the mental side to their game going into this match; they have certainly given him plenty to think about. Very exciting to be a town fan atm!

All this talk about offering MM a new contract has me smiling tbh. Judging by his recent remarks interview, I got the distinct impression he would see his final year out and be leaving Town of his own volition anyway! Just the impression I got .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

For those who went tonight? on 00:11 - Aug 24 with 2868 viewsHarryfromBath

Not including Flynn Downes, Tristan Nydam or Adam McDonnell who we know about...

Folami in particular caught the eye as a hold up player, but we didn't see enough of him beyond being a very useful outlet to relieve pressure in the circumstances of last night's game. It would be interesting to see him linking play with a partner in a more evenly-matched game to see what he can do.

Ben Morris definitely impressed with his technique and touch in his late brief cameo as well, but both of these players are likely to be bench options at best given our current firepower.

George Fowler and Pat Webber handled the Palace attack well for the first hour but (and this is being harsh) I wonder if James McArthur's first goal could have been prevented with more alertness. That said, you wouldn't play them together and either could do well under Luke Chambers' wing in an otherwise settled back four. They were both largely very solid throughout the game.

Luke Woolfenden is the most ready and you could see why Mick gave him a run-out at Luton. His all-round defensive game is solid and he kept Jeffrey Schlupp quiet, dealing with his athleticism well. He did play it safe last night, but his reading of the game and awareness of where to be and what to do were a real strength. He is two years younger than Josh Emmanuel so how would I benchmark him against the Josh of two years ago?

This is highly subjective and please shoot me down, but I don't think there is much in it - Josh's athleticism and strength were probably stronger then but Luke is less likely to be caught out of position than Josh would have been. They are on a par with each other, which makes Luke a viable bench option or as a starter now alongside established companions.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

For those who went tonight? on 07:44 - Aug 24 with 2773 viewsSwn98

For those who went tonight? on 12:04 - Aug 23 by Wickets

What you have to consider is that those that were playing last year are a year older,Mick wouldn't play a youngster until they are physically able a benefit to the club and most importantly to the players development.
For those who went tonight? on 17:31 - Aug 24 with 2704 viewsWickets

For those who went tonight? on 13:41 - Aug 23 by Mullet

Based on what we saw coming through, the only one who was ready last season was McDonnell and we know now why he wasn't being used.

None of the kids coming through last season were setting things alight, in the case of Nydam he was 16 and Downes 17, Douglas was well past it but over the course of 6 months in the Championship it was the right call.

Dozzell wasn't ready and the best of the bunch, it's interesting to see how people are edging the narrative to be all about Mick changing, but ignoring how circumstance has too which is far more important.

After all MM still played more kids than all but one team last season. Along with 442 Mick, the myths kept getting shattered even during our worst season.

We will have to agree to disagree, who knows but what i do know is our academy coaches where pulling their hair out at times last season. Strange comments recently from Mick something about the only one he listens too is TC.
For those who went tonight? on 17:34 - Aug 24 with 2696 viewsMullet

For those who went tonight? on 17:31 - Aug 24 by Wickets

We will have to agree to disagree, who knows but what i do know is our academy coaches where pulling their hair out at times last season. Strange comments recently from Mick something about the only one he listens too is TC.

What do you disagree with? That a 16 and 17 year old would be capable of 6 months in a dysfunctional side in a league like this and it would be a reasonable risk for Mick to take?

Whether or not our academy coaches were tearing their hair out or not is irrelevant, it's up to Mick ultimately where we finish and if he can trust individuals to do the job.

Who should have played more who didn't? At what point was Dozzell up to it given his performances at Huddersfield, Wigan etc.?

I'm keen to hear what I've missed on this one.

For those who went tonight? on 17:43 - Aug 24 with 2685 viewsPJH

For those who went tonight? on 17:34 - Aug 24 by Mullet

What do you disagree with? That a 16 and 17 year old would be capable of 6 months in a dysfunctional side in a league like this and it would be a reasonable risk for Mick to take?

Whether or not our academy coaches were tearing their hair out or not is irrelevant, it's up to Mick ultimately where we finish and if he can trust individuals to do the job.

Who should have played more who didn't? At what point was Dozzell up to it given his performances at Huddersfield, Wigan etc.?

I'm keen to hear what I've missed on this one.

I think that the 45 minutes that Dozzell had at Huddersfield proves that playing a young player in a struggling side does neither the player or the team any good.
For those who went tonight? on 17:54 - Aug 24 with 2672 viewsMullet

For those who went tonight? on 17:43 - Aug 24 by PJH

I think that the 45 minutes that Dozzell had at Huddersfield proves that playing a young player in a struggling side does neither the player or the team any good.

I simply don't understand these revisionists that are appearing. Clearly we were wrong last season or missing something.

For those who went tonight? on 18:05 - Aug 24 with 2668 viewsPJH

For those who went tonight? on 17:54 - Aug 24 by Mullet

I simply don't understand these revisionists that are appearing. Clearly we were wrong last season or missing something.

I just know what I see and form my opinions based on that.
I actually had an argument at the start of the second half at Huddersfield with a stroppy woman(not Bluebell, she was not there and she is not stroppy)about the logic of replacing Dozzell with Douglas.
Admittedly Douglas' performance in the second half was little better than Dozzell's in the first half but my opinion that that was the right and logical change to make still stood.
For those who went tonight? on 18:05 - Aug 24 with 2667 viewsWickets

I'm trying not to have an argument here but i feel Benyu, Mcdonell, Dozzell should have played some part in games last season instead of Douglas, ok when he played Dozzell had a poor half at Huddesfield. All players have poor games from time to time he also had a few good patches . The other two didn't get that chance. When he played Douglas was usually terrible as anyone at Newcastle will tell you. By the way has he found a club?
For those who went tonight? on 18:14 - Aug 24 with 2658 viewsMullet

For those who went tonight? on 18:05 - Aug 24 by Wickets

I'm trying not to have an argument here but i feel Benyu, Mcdonell, Dozzell should have played some part in games last season instead of Douglas, ok when he played Dozzell had a poor half at Huddesfield. All players have poor games from time to time he also had a few good patches . The other two didn't get that chance. When he played Douglas was usually terrible as anyone at Newcastle will tell you. By the way has he found a club?

Benyu was out on loan, on his last warning and wasn't in the picture. As per McDonnell who we know wasn't showing the right attitude towards Mick/his training/lifestyle whichever way you want to cut it.

Dozzell was excellent coming off the bench at home to Brizzle, he helped steer out a tight game. However generally when he played he was lightweight, careless on the ball and not up to the rigours of midfield. That's not his fault but how and where would you have played him more? Mick tried several times to introduce him to the team, contrast that with Bishop in 14/15 for example.

I was at Newcastle, the whole team were weak and outclassed that was shaped by us going behind after a minute. That doesn't really constitute this notion that these kids could have stepped in and been sufficient though. It's different to it being nice if they were.

Arguably Emmanuel is now at League 1 therefore he didn't come in after already being blooded the season before. Kenlock was the best of the bunch and was patchy, and is still irregular.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Douglas was the best midfielder we had out there, but he was a veteran one with the experience to keep going. Even when some of our own turned on him needlessly. It was a horrible way for his career to end.

For those who went tonight? on 19:57 - Aug 24 with 2628 viewsWickets

For those who went tonight? on 18:14 - Aug 24 by Mullet

Benyu was out on loan, on his last warning and wasn't in the picture. As per McDonnell who we know wasn't showing the right attitude towards Mick/his training/lifestyle whichever way you want to cut it.

Dozzell was excellent coming off the bench at home to Brizzle, he helped steer out a tight game. However generally when he played he was lightweight, careless on the ball and not up to the rigours of midfield. That's not his fault but how and where would you have played him more? Mick tried several times to introduce him to the team, contrast that with Bishop in 14/15 for example.

I was at Newcastle, the whole team were weak and outclassed that was shaped by us going behind after a minute. That doesn't really constitute this notion that these kids could have stepped in and been sufficient though. It's different to it being nice if they were.

Arguably Emmanuel is now at League 1 therefore he didn't come in after already being blooded the season before. Kenlock was the best of the bunch and was patchy, and is still irregular.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Douglas was the best midfielder we had out there, but he was a veteran one with the experience to keep going. Even when some of our own turned on him needlessly. It was a horrible way for his career to end.

Benyu went out on loan halfway through the season and was excellent ,he felt he should have been given his chance before he went out and by the way his deadball delivery is top class. Both him and Mcdonnell are full of attitude, but i quite like that in a player.A top manager can use that, As i keep saying we see it differently . I, same as many at the club, could not understand why Mick kept insisting that Douglas was doing a good job then leaving him out and going back to him, he said something along the lines of well he gives me no trouble. I think Mick got himself in a right state last season, happily he seems to have recoverd. I said on this forum a couple of times last year, if you don't try them you'll know thankfully we are now trying them.
For those who went tonight? on 20:17 - Aug 24 with 2612 viewsMullet

For those who went tonight? on 19:57 - Aug 24 by Wickets

Benyu went out on loan halfway through the season and was excellent ,he felt he should have been given his chance before he went out and by the way his deadball delivery is top class. Both him and Mcdonnell are full of attitude, but i quite like that in a player.A top manager can use that, As i keep saying we see it differently . I, same as many at the club, could not understand why Mick kept insisting that Douglas was doing a good job then leaving him out and going back to him, he said something along the lines of well he gives me no trouble. I think Mick got himself in a right state last season, happily he seems to have recoverd. I said on this forum a couple of times last year, if you don't try them you'll know thankfully we are now trying them.

He was excellent at Aldershot as the season drew to a close. It's well known his previous time at Ipswich had seen him falling out with people and trotting off with Spurs etc. Even he admitted it was his own doing. This where I think you're revising the situation completely.

We all (a furious Mick included) expected Benyu back this season having proved himself. At the point where you're talking about him stepping in Mick had opted for Huws and the disappointing Diagouraga. I can't see how you can argue the unseen Benyu was a clear choice without hindsight at best.

Given also the behaviour of Leon Best, I don't think anyone would say Mick got his recruitment right but that's largely down to Evans. However you'd expect him to change his stance of over 20 years on players' attitudes at that point last season too? Why exactly? Especially for two largely unproven junior players one yet to make his debut?

Mick is always going to back players publicly whether that's Douglas or Downes or someone between. You can judge him on what he did, but I don't understand this version of events at all. Trying youngsters was something Mick was never afraid of doing here, last season he tried them more than any side bar Forest.

With all that in mind, do you then think the start we've had is in spite of these flaws? As it's clear Mick hasn't really changed the formations he's using and gameplan are the same after all.

For those who went tonight? on 12:05 - Aug 25 with 2513 viewsWickets

For those who went tonight? on 20:17 - Aug 24 by Mullet

He was excellent at Aldershot as the season drew to a close. It's well known his previous time at Ipswich had seen him falling out with people and trotting off with Spurs etc. Even he admitted it was his own doing. This where I think you're revising the situation completely.

We all (a furious Mick included) expected Benyu back this season having proved himself. At the point where you're talking about him stepping in Mick had opted for Huws and the disappointing Diagouraga. I can't see how you can argue the unseen Benyu was a clear choice without hindsight at best.

Given also the behaviour of Leon Best, I don't think anyone would say Mick got his recruitment right but that's largely down to Evans. However you'd expect him to change his stance of over 20 years on players' attitudes at that point last season too? Why exactly? Especially for two largely unproven junior players one yet to make his debut?

Mick is always going to back players publicly whether that's Douglas or Downes or someone between. You can judge him on what he did, but I don't understand this version of events at all. Trying youngsters was something Mick was never afraid of doing here, last season he tried them more than any side bar Forest.

With all that in mind, do you then think the start we've had is in spite of these flaws? As it's clear Mick hasn't really changed the formations he's using and gameplan are the same after all.

Well we can go on and on and even though the club got Benyu's contract badly wrong he did indicate that he would sign a new one.His head was turned by Celtic or his agent who knows, pity as he has the ability to be a top player. It can always be argued that the time is not right to blood a young player or players. We'er playing badly its not fair on them or why change a winning side. As i have said everyone was down at the club last year Mick was poor it was Chambo who managed to keep a lid on things, thank heaven we did not allow him to leave at Xmas. Totally different about the club this year their is a belief about the place , The promised commitment ,from a couple of years ago, to bring our own young players through seems to be taking place and the new faces that are fit have given everyone a real buzz, even Mick is smileing long may it contiune.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024