Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Replacing a dimmer switch 14:27 - Aug 24 with 2512 viewsfooters

This is probably the most boring thread today but want some advice from the handier TWTD bods.

I am probably the clumsiest, most useless person when it comes to this sort of thing but have been told even I can replace a dimmer switch. Have seen a few videos and looks pretty straightforward. That said, I don't really want to be dicking about with electricity.

Is it really as simple as it looks or should I get someone in to do it instead? Don't really want to part with the cash but equally don't want to die.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Replacing a dimmer switch on 14:29 - Aug 24 with 2495 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

I'm terrible at DIY but I managed to change a dimmer switch. Just turn off the mains!
Replacing a dimmer switch on 14:33 - Aug 24 with 2472 viewsSporall

if you can wire a plug, you can wire in a dimmer switch. They can sometimes be slightly fiddly positioning the wires, but other than that very simple.
Replacing a dimmer switch on 14:34 - Aug 24 with 2475 viewsSteve_M

Turning off the mains is probably a good start. Otherwise, you are just wiring the dimmer switch in the same way as the normal switch you are taking off the wall.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Replacing a dimmer switch on 14:36 - Aug 24 with 2462 viewsfooters

Great, thanks guys.

Am moving into a new place this evening and didn't want to just get by on lamplight. Will attempt when I get back and if I don't post again you know what's happened!

Cheers!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Replacing a dimmer switch on 15:21 - Aug 24 with 2400 viewsBasuco

Don't forget if you intend to use LED light bulbs get a dimmer that can handle them, not all do, a shock won't kill you just make you jump a bit.
Replacing a dimmer switch on 15:37 - Aug 24 with 2374 viewsitfc48

I opted to go down the Phillips Hue route rather than fiddling with dimmer switches. Bit more of an outlay but very easy to set-up.
Replacing a dimmer switch on 15:39 - Aug 24 with 2371 viewsconnorscontract

Replacing a dimmer switch on 15:21 - Aug 24 by Basuco

Don't forget if you intend to use LED light bulbs get a dimmer that can handle them, not all do, a shock won't kill you just make you jump a bit.

A shock from the mains can kill. In most cases it won't kill an adult, but it can.

Many people have undiagnosed heart defects (Marc-Vivien Foe or Fabrice Muamba, for example) and a prolonged electric shock could be particularly dangerous for them.

Turn off the circuit at the Circuit Breaker on the fuse board. Make sure your hands are dry. Don't touch a wire with 2 hands (that completes the circuit through the heart).

Particularly in a house you are moving into you really shouldn't take it for granted that the electrics are safe.
Replacing a dimmer switch on 15:45 - Aug 24 with 2356 viewsjas0999

Bottom line is if you don't feel confident, call an electrician. It is an easy job providing you know what your doing. Golden rule, isolate the supply prior to doing the job!
Login to get fewer ads

Replacing a dimmer switch on 18:22 - Aug 24 with 2285 viewsBluish

And wear thick soled rubber wellies.
Replacing a dimmer switch on 19:09 - Aug 24 with 2265 viewsEdwardStone

If you are tinkering about with 240 volt mains then please equip yourself with one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms8907-voltage-detector-pen/3222g

A lifesaver

Touch it on the wire in question, check it beeps

Turn of the switch in the consumer unit

Touch on the wire again, check it's not live...no beep

Then start work

Lifesaver
Replacing a dimmer switch on 19:10 - Aug 24 with 2263 viewsjeera

Do it in daylight.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Replacing a dimmer switch on 06:43 - Aug 25 with 2107 viewsCoastalblue

I worked as a self employed electrician for about 10 years and can remember an occasion a few years ago when a guy from the next village called me asking me to go and look at a job.
When I arrived he stated that he had tried to call me a week or two ago but my voicemail message had said I'm away on holiday and so he waited until I got back.
He had been to Ikea and bought new lights for every room in his new house, then taken all of the old lights down before realising he couldn't work out how to wire in the new ones. There were a couple of times tripping out the circuit then he gave up.
When I was putting up the new lights he said to me "You must go on holiday a lot, the last time I tried calling you were away" I was slightly confused as it was almost 10 months since I was last away.
Further conversation revealed that it was over a year ago that he'd taken the old lights off, and yes his missus was very, very p1ssed off with him!

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Replacing a dimmer switch on 10:06 - Aug 25 with 2036 viewsNo9

IF, you have big fingers don't bother
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024