Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some help on new laptop 07:48 - Aug 28 with 4583 viewsVaughan8

I would say i have average knowledge about computer but one thing that I always get confused on is the processor and the differences between them.

I am looking at some computers with 1TB storage and 8GB RAM. However they all have different processors so just wondering what the differences are.

For example:-

Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor
Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor
AMD A9-9400 Processor with Radeonâ„¢ R5 Graphics
AMD® Quad Core A10 Processor

I am looking at laptops with these processors and just wondering why some cost more, presumably because of the "better" processor. I'm just wondering is there much difference etc.

Presumably i5 is better than i3 just basing it on other things like iPhone7 is "better" than iPhone6 for example.

Any help would be much appreciated.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 7:48]
Some help on new laptop on 07:56 - Aug 28 with 4552 viewsGlasgowBlue

CPU Benchmark is a great site for deciding which processor is best.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 7:57]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Some help on new laptop on 08:14 - Aug 28 with 4523 viewstractorian

What will you be using the laptop for? In many cases, processor power is irrelevant as the processor spends most of its time doing nothing.
Some help on new laptop on 08:53 - Aug 28 with 4479 viewsipswich78

Here you go try this; http://cpuboss.com/

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Some help on new laptop on 09:08 - Aug 28 with 4460 viewsPopeye

AMD processors aren't as powerful as the equivalent intel cores ones. Intel i5 is a mid level spec processor in the range, i3 being more entry level and i7 at top end. Don't go for for anything less than 8gb of ram.
Some help on new laptop on 09:22 - Aug 28 with 4441 viewsDarkHorse

Some help on new laptop on 09:08 - Aug 28 by Popeye

AMD processors aren't as powerful as the equivalent intel cores ones. Intel i5 is a mid level spec processor in the range, i3 being more entry level and i7 at top end. Don't go for for anything less than 8gb of ram.

Good advice. Get one with a solid state drive (ssd) if you can too.

I'd recommend looking on the Dell outlet store. Some bargains to be had. "Scratch and dent" are just open box returns in my experience. I picked up a Dell XPS 13 - i5, 256 ssd, 8gb ram - from there for £600 recently. Fantastic machine in perfect condition. It would have been double that brand new.
Some help on new laptop on 09:25 - Aug 28 with 4424 viewsDanTheMan

"Presumably i5 is better than i3 just basing it on other things like iPhone7 is "better" than iPhone6 for example."

Sort of, but not. It's more to do with the features on the processor and the architecture. Unless you're running a VM and need Hyper-threading, this is not going to affect your average user.

In terms of 'raw power', here's a site with some decent benchmarks so you can decide which is better.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Oh and as a side note, I wouldn't go with something that has 1TB storage on a laptop. That'll be an old hard drive, you really wanna look for an SSD. Won't have as much room but it'll perform so much better.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some help on new laptop on 09:58 - Aug 28 with 4381 viewsBasuco

Some help on new laptop on 09:22 - Aug 28 by DarkHorse

Good advice. Get one with a solid state drive (ssd) if you can too.

I'd recommend looking on the Dell outlet store. Some bargains to be had. "Scratch and dent" are just open box returns in my experience. I picked up a Dell XPS 13 - i5, 256 ssd, 8gb ram - from there for £600 recently. Fantastic machine in perfect condition. It would have been double that brand new.

I would ditto the SSD hard drive as essential and a look at factory graded laptops.
Some help on new laptop on 10:03 - Aug 28 with 4370 viewsflimflam

Have a look at Erazer laptops on different sites as you get a lot of laptop for your money with those.
Bought one a few months ago and its a beast.

i7, Solid State drive + 1.5tb drive, fat graphics card, 16gb ram for under 800 quid.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/30021754-Medion-Erazer-P7647_2017508.html

German company so not sure what their support is like though.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2017 10:07]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Login to get fewer ads

Some help on new laptop on 10:07 - Aug 28 with 4357 viewsBasuco

Something like this?
https://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/laptops-netbooks-tablets/laptops/toshiba-z30-
Some help on new laptop on 10:08 - Aug 28 with 4357 viewsVaughan8

Some help on new laptop on 09:25 - Aug 28 by DanTheMan

"Presumably i5 is better than i3 just basing it on other things like iPhone7 is "better" than iPhone6 for example."

Sort of, but not. It's more to do with the features on the processor and the architecture. Unless you're running a VM and need Hyper-threading, this is not going to affect your average user.

In terms of 'raw power', here's a site with some decent benchmarks so you can decide which is better.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Oh and as a side note, I wouldn't go with something that has 1TB storage on a laptop. That'll be an old hard drive, you really wanna look for an SSD. Won't have as much room but it'll perform so much better.

Thanks for all the replies. I will have a look at the things said.

Really we just use the laptop for internet, work and a few games but nothing too draining on the computer.

Maybe I know less than I thought but I thought all laptops came with hard drive. Is this SSD a different type? What is the difference?

Just looking online, there are ones with say 128gb ssd around the same price as a 1tb hard drive.
Some help on new laptop on 10:13 - Aug 28 with 4345 viewsCoastalblue

Some help on new laptop on 10:08 - Aug 28 by Vaughan8

Really we just use the laptop for internet, work and a few games but nothing too draining on the computer.

Maybe I know less than I thought but I thought all laptops came with hard drive. Is this SSD a different type? What is the difference?

Just looking online, there are ones with say 128gb ssd around the same price as a 1tb hard drive.

SSD = Solid State Drive, so no moving parts and much, much quicker but they are also dearer. My laptop has an ssd in it with the operating system etc and then a hdd for storage.

Makes a huuuge difference for start up times.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Some help on new laptop on 10:13 - Aug 28 with 4344 viewsflimflam

SSD means solid state so is instant when booting and accessing files.

Most new laptops come with windows on SSD and any other applications you install and then a large old style drive which is usually used for storage, photos, music etc.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Some help on new laptop on 10:25 - Aug 28 with 4331 viewsDanTheMan

So SSDs are solid state drives, they are similar to USB drives in how they function. Old hard-drives (mechanical) work with a moving plate and a reader, a bit like a record player.

The difference, as others have said, is just speed. But SSDs also last a lot longer in my experience, and they keep the laptop performing well over 2+ years. So whilst there is not as much room, the benefits generally outweigh the positives.

If you find yourself needing more rooms for files like music or films, there are plenty of fast external hard drives that can offer this sort of storage.

As you're not doing a lot with it other than normal tasks, you shouldn't need loads and loads of room.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Some help on new laptop on 11:39 - Aug 28 with 4274 viewsThe_Last_Baron

No difference between iPhone 6 and 7 apart from no headphone jack on 7.

As for the laptop, it depends what you want to use it for. If you just want to surf the Internet and write word documents you don't need anything powerful.

Icore 3 would be more than sufficient and 4 gb of memory.

Of you're going to be using it for more get the Icore 5 and 8 GB of memory.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Some help on new laptop on 12:20 - Aug 28 with 4252 viewsMark

I agree SSD is better, especially as you can use cloud storage like Google Drive as another way to store / backup files. Also think about the build quality, warranty, whether the screen is Full HD or just HD, and whether or not the fan is quiet (we bought an HP laptop and the fan buzzed all the time, could not put up with that!).
Some help on new laptop on 12:21 - Aug 28 with 4250 viewsRyorry

Some help on new laptop on 10:07 - Aug 28 by Basuco

Something like this?
https://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/laptops-netbooks-tablets/laptops/toshiba-z30-

I would never have another Toshiba - mine had to be air-freighted to another country (can't recall which) for repair under guarantee when the hard disc failed after a few months. Unfortunately that was at the time when planes were grounded because of the volcanic ash cloud problem!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Some help on new laptop on 12:47 - Aug 28 with 4222 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Some help on new laptop on 12:20 - Aug 28 by Mark

I agree SSD is better, especially as you can use cloud storage like Google Drive as another way to store / backup files. Also think about the build quality, warranty, whether the screen is Full HD or just HD, and whether or not the fan is quiet (we bought an HP laptop and the fan buzzed all the time, could not put up with that!).

Never use cloud storage as back up. One it's unreliable and two your files can easily be hacked.

Buy a couple of external drives and keep copies of your stuff on there.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Some help on new laptop on 13:12 - Aug 28 with 4206 viewsPopeye

Just got my old man one of these (link below) and its pretty quick for an i3 processor, and less than £360 all in so can recommend it. Will be perfectly good enough for everything except for gaming.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80NJ00FFUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-305-in-Purple_1886965.

I considered a dell outlet model but because it was not for me but for my dad I decided against it but if it was for me I probably would have bought a certified refurbished dell 15-5567 for £300 exc vat and del so about £360 all in and its got an i3-7100u processor. Likely to be an opened box returned as new model, its fully checked and comes with a warranty.

Personally I wouldn't spend more than £400 for a laptop as i now use an iPad mainly for email and internet, I also preferred a separate games console for gaming.
Some help on new laptop on 19:16 - Aug 28 with 4122 viewsMark

Some help on new laptop on 12:47 - Aug 28 by The_Last_Baron

Never use cloud storage as back up. One it's unreliable and two your files can easily be hacked.

I use the cloud to back up non-confidential stuff such as photos. The external drives are better, so long as one is off-site. The worry is someone breaking into the house, then stealing the laptop and the external drives.
Some help on new laptop on 19:28 - Aug 28 with 4112 viewsDeano69

Depending on what you are using it for the component that will make the most difference on performance is the Hard Drive, buy the best drive you can. For gaming a decent graphics card and then as high up the intel cpu (i5 or i7) rating you can.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Some help on new laptop on 19:48 - Aug 28 with 4086 viewsInvictus

When you say a few games, what games do you mean?
Most laptops have integrated graphics (integrated with the processor) and will happily play casual games. For anything more serious you will need a discrete graphics processor (built in to the motherboard so you can't just slot one in later like with a desktop).

Other than that look for an i5 with 8gb of ram and try for at least a 250gb SSD for storage. A higher definition screen is nice too, try for 1920 X 1080.

Dell outlet store and Amazon warehouse deals are good places to look.
Some help on new laptop on 21:25 - Aug 28 with 4040 viewsVic

I'm not a techie, but bought laptop with SSD on my geeky sons recomendation. It is super, super quick, with a really fast start up. I save everything to the cloud so no need for big hard drive.

Just my experience.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Some help on new laptop on 11:28 - Aug 29 with 3900 viewsipswich78

Poor advice much like your comment about the iPhone 6 vs iPhone 7.

Cloud backup is an excellent facility. However, as with any backup you should never really have one solution if your data is important to you. Ideal scenario would be to have a backup at home, then the cloud as an additional backup. Lots of automation software available now to easily sync the backups.

The biggest weak spot in any IT environment is the user. Not quite sure what 'knowledge' 'The_Last_Baron' has but it is certainly not unreliable and also not 'easy' to hack.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Some help on new laptop on 14:15 - Aug 29 with 3850 viewsDeano69

That's not strictly true. If you do your research on on-line backup and spend money on it rather then free accounts etc, they can be very secure. External drives can and do fail, plus you have to remember to plug in and back up etc. You also need to encrypt an external drive if you are concerned about security in case someone steals it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024