Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Floods on the Beeb 21:22 - Aug 29 with 6700 viewsCrawfordsboot

Is anyone else totally fed up with the BBC coverage of the Texas floods. Yes it's all pretty dramatic and traumatic for those involved and terrible for the families of the nine dead. However the BBC gives hardly a mention to the truly devastating monsoon floods in India and Asia where the death toll is in excess of 1,200. Yes that's right more than a hundred times worse than Texas.

But hey they don't offer a photo op with Milena in her six inch heels.

Makes me despair of our press.
Floods on the Beeb on 21:27 - Aug 29 with 4337 viewsBlueBadger

20 seconds' googling reveals that it's pretty extensively covered on the beeb's website..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Floods on the Beeb on 21:34 - Aug 29 with 4289 viewsStokieBlue

I think you're trying to hard to be outraged. Don't worry, you're not alone nowadays.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Floods on the Beeb on 21:34 - Aug 29 with 4296 viewsCrawfordsboot

Floods on the Beeb on 21:27 - Aug 29 by BlueBadger

20 seconds' googling reveals that it's pretty extensively covered on the beeb's website..

Sure if you know about it you can google for articles, largely sourced from Al Jazeera but the front page of my BBC news site is plastered with banner headlines re Texas with very little front line mention of what is a huge tragedy. Out of sight out of mind I guess.
Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 with 4283 viewsBlueBadger

Floods on the Beeb on 21:34 - Aug 29 by Crawfordsboot

Sure if you know about it you can google for articles, largely sourced from Al Jazeera but the front page of my BBC news site is plastered with banner headlines re Texas with very little front line mention of what is a huge tragedy. Out of sight out of mind I guess.

Or,'happened two weeks ago' is probably more likely.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 with 4286 viewsRyorry

Floods on the Beeb on 21:27 - Aug 29 by BlueBadger

Yes but not on their TV news, which I think is the OP's (good) point.

Coverage of the US is generally overdone by the Beeb in all sorts of progs - eg 'Up All Night' on R5l regularly has features & news on it, but never anything from Africa, Asia, Australia, etc. We know the US is important, but not to the near exclusion of everything else - some balance required.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 with 4284 viewsCrawfordsboot

Floods on the Beeb on 21:34 - Aug 29 by StokieBlue

I think you're trying to hard to be outraged. Don't worry, you're not alone nowadays.

SB

Not outraged at all. I'm too old for that. Just depressed at our shallow news reporting and the priority they give to all things Trumpian.
Floods on the Beeb on 21:37 - Aug 29 with 4279 viewsRyorry

Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 by BlueBadger

Wasn't on then either, unless I missed it.

Floods on the Beeb on 21:40 - Aug 29 with 4263 viewsStokieBlue

Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 by Crawfordsboot

Not outraged at all. I'm too old for that. Just depressed at our shallow news reporting and the priority they give to all things Trumpian.

Rather weird to describe the largest rainfall and flooding in a major US state in 800 years as Trumpian.

Very weird indeed.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Login to get fewer ads

Floods on the Beeb on 21:48 - Aug 29 with 4248 viewsBorisOrTrevor

What a silly thread. The Monsoon is a regular event, people die every year to some degree or other, what is happening in Houston is not regular at all and besides to most people in this country it is far more relevant. It's like saying we shouldn't report the crash on the Motorway last week due to there being a far worse pile up in Calcutta, nonsense.

BOT

Floods on the Beeb on 21:55 - Aug 29 with 4218 viewsBackToRussia

It's because Houston is a big oil city. Gets more coverage.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Floods on the Beeb on 06:35 - Aug 30 with 4030 viewsCrawfordsboot

Floods on the Beeb on 21:40 - Aug 29 by StokieBlue

Rather weird to describe the largest rainfall and flooding in a major US state in 800 years as Trumpian.

Very weird indeed.

SB

Not describing the flood - it's the hugely disproportionate news coverage I am referring to along with the not inconsiderable coverage of the Trumps visit etc.
Floods on the Beeb on 06:43 - Aug 30 with 4015 viewsBenters

Very weird indeed.

SB

this

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Floods on the Beeb on 06:44 - Aug 30 with 4015 viewsCrawfordsboot

Floods on the Beeb on 21:48 - Aug 29 by BorisOrTrevor

What a silly thread. The Monsoon is a regular event, people die every year to some degree or other, what is happening in Houston is not regular at all and besides to most people in this country it is far more relevant. It's like saying we shouldn't report the crash on the Motorway last week due to there being a far worse pile up in Calcutta, nonsense.

Nowhere have I said that the Texas flood should not be reported. My Beef is about proportionality.
Floods, typhoons and hurricanes occur regularly in the southern states. This years flood is certainly a major one. Monsoons occur regularly, this year is exceptionally bad. The loss of life from flooding is 100 times worse than the Texas event and yet Texas gets what appears to be about 100 times the coverage of the greater disaster.
Floods on the Beeb on 06:58 - Aug 30 with 3999 viewsCrawfordsboot

A current news item on alternative news sites as you can see from the article below

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/floods-kill-1200-india-nepal-bangladesh-17
Floods on the Beeb on 07:18 - Aug 30 with 3965 viewsYaffle

Floods on the Beeb on 06:44 - Aug 30 by Crawfordsboot

Nowhere have I said that the Texas flood should not be reported. My Beef is about proportionality.
Floods, typhoons and hurricanes occur regularly in the southern states. This years flood is certainly a major one. Monsoons occur regularly, this year is exceptionally bad. The loss of life from flooding is 100 times worse than the Texas event and yet Texas gets what appears to be about 100 times the coverage of the greater disaster.

As has already been stated, the South Asia monsoon is an annual event, which sadly often leave many dead as those countries affected still have not developed infrastructure to lessen the impact or to cope with the aftermath. That doesn't reduce the human cost it just makes it tragically a far more common event.

By comparison, if as predicted the rainfall hits the 60" mark in places, the flooding and rainfall in Texas becomes a 1 in 1 million year weather event and already the biggest rain event in US history. I read somewhere that they have had to recolour the weather model keys to be able to show the rainfall volumes, which by the 27th equated to 9 trillion gallons, enough to run niagra falls for over 2 weeks.

I understand the point you were making in the OP but I disagree that the reporting has been disproportionate.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 7:19]
Floods on the Beeb on 07:30 - Aug 30 with 3925 viewsWeWereZombies

In other flooding news, 44 deaths in Niger - and yes, BlueBadger, it has been going on since June - but is ongoing:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/niger-rains-kill-dozens-displaces-thousand

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Floods on the Beeb on 08:14 - Aug 30 with 3876 viewsDarth_Koont

It's also a media marketplace. If the major coverage is in Texas then the BBC and others need to compete. Not that I agree with that but the BBC, even as our public service, is also heavily funded through its international and commercial audience.

I agree with your underlying point but I think market forces are a factor that the BBC can't avoid.

Pronouns: He/Him

Floods on the Beeb on 08:19 - Aug 30 with 3868 viewsconnorscontract

It's all about the pictures and having a reporter "at the scene". There are loads of freelance helicopter pilot in Texas taking up film crews and lots of nice hotels just far enough away to not be damp yet for the BBC correspondents to stay in.

It's a bit more tricky in Bangladesh.

I remember when Kenneth Kendall would just read something, then something else, and only a couple of stories had any footage at all.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 8:34]
Floods on the Beeb on 08:22 - Aug 30 with 3861 viewsGeoffSentence

It is affecting my company's teams in India right now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Floods on the Beeb on 08:27 - Aug 30 with 3847 viewsWeWereZombies

Floods on the Beeb on 08:19 - Aug 30 by connorscontract

It's all about the pictures and having a reporter "at the scene". There are loads of freelance helicopter pilot in Texas taking up film crews and lots of nice hotels just far enough away to not be damp yet for the BBC correspondents to stay in.

It's a bit more tricky in Bangladesh.

I remember when Kenneth Kendall would just read something, then something else, and only a couple of stories had any footage at all.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2017 8:34]

Ah yes, Howard Kendall reading the news - that was back when Kenneth Kendall made his debut for Everton, wasn't it?

Floods on the Beeb on 08:30 - Aug 30 with 3828 viewsconnorscontract

Floods on the Beeb on 08:27 - Aug 30 by WeWereZombies

Ah yes, Howard Kendall reading the news - that was back when Kenneth Kendall made his debut for Everton, wasn't it?

Oops! Lol! Arf! Etc.
Floods on the Beeb on 08:36 - Aug 30 with 3809 viewscrunchie1978

Very weird indeed.

SB

Id imagine there's some on both sides of the water( no pun intended) that the rainfall was trumps fault anyway!
Floods on the Beeb on 09:12 - Aug 30 with 3766 viewsNo9

It is what would normally be caled ' diversion tactics':-
When things aren't very good at home point to the problem sothers have in their country.

Hurricanes are a common problem they happen to a greater or lesser extent every year.

The fat that America is a large aund supposedly rich country that has never adequately prepared by taking the encessary measures is the real story.
Floods on the Beeb on 09:37 - Aug 30 with 3732 viewsRyorry

Floods on the Beeb on 21:36 - Aug 29 by Ryorry

Yes but not on their TV news, which I think is the OP's (good) point.

Coverage of the US is generally overdone by the Beeb in all sorts of progs - eg 'Up All Night' on R5l regularly has features & news on it, but never anything from Africa, Asia, Australia, etc. We know the US is important, but not to the near exclusion of everything else - some balance required.

No sooner had I said that than Up All Night had about 2 hours coverage of life and issues in Australia last night! focussing particularly on the 'no dual citizenship for Australian politicians' issue which is causing huge problems, as politicians scramble round desperately trying to free themselves from being officially connected with other countries (don't ask, it's complicted!).

Floods on the Beeb on 09:40 - Aug 30 with 3726 viewsWeWereZombies

Floods on the Beeb on 09:37 - Aug 30 by Ryorry

No sooner had I said that than Up All Night had about 2 hours coverage of life and issues in Australia last night! focussing particularly on the 'no dual citizenship for Australian politicians' issue which is causing huge problems, as politicians scramble round desperately trying to free themselves from being officially connected with other countries (don't ask, it's complicted!).

So we can expect Australian politics to be dominated by aborigines in future?

(Sorry for asking)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024