Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three peaks challenge 14:00 - Aug 30 with 2738 viewstextbackup

Cut a long story short, me and a mate are looking at doing this next year to raise money for a charity (or two)
Anyone done it?
Advise, tips etc etc

Thank you

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Three peaks challenge on 14:10 - Aug 30 with 2704 viewsSaleAway

Hi,
I know a few people that have done it. Most of the tips are fairly straightforward... mainly

1. Make sure you have a dedicated driver - don't try and do the walk, and the drive.... you'll be dangerous.

2. Do some training - its a lot of walking.

3. Get some walking poles... most people I know who have struggled have had knee problems on the descents... poles take a huge amount of stress off.

4. Think about your timings.... easiest way is to start ben nevis at about 5pm, finish it just as it gets dark, and then drive through the dark, and do scafell in early morning... Snowdon in afternoon... My brother had to start at midday when he did it because of weather conditions, and ended up a bit lost on scafell in the dark... its a featureless boulder field, so its not a great place to be in no light.

5. make sure you have enough food and drink - and eat regularly, even if you don't feel like it because you're tired.

Good luck, its on my list for next year too.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Three peaks challenge on 14:15 - Aug 30 with 2682 viewsBlueStreak

Corr good luck with your knees!
Three peaks challenge on 14:25 - Aug 30 with 2679 viewsReuser_is_God

Bishops Hill & Cliff Lane are b@stards mate but Constituition Hill will be the killer.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Three peaks challenge on 15:03 - Aug 30 with 2637 viewsBluetaff

Yep, done it twice. Use a company if you can afford it - there are a few out there, avoid the driving yourself.

We started at Nevis which will generally have snow on the summit throughout May and into June.

Scafell Pike is a b******, especially as you will look to hit this one at around 0100, nearly always rains and the staging area in the car park is like the toilets at Ayresome Park!

By the time you get to Snowdon, if you are still on for the 24 hours, you will be sapped and it will take every ounce of willpower to keep going especially if going up the miners track (which is quicker than the pyg track).

Train in the hills if you can, not sure where you are based but we used Ivinghoe Beacon which is just west of Dunstable. Get some good but light boots and invest in some poles. Coming down (at pace generally) will seriously strain both knees and thighs!

Eat and drink, even when you don't feel like it!

Enjoy it, Scafell is only 900ish m, wet and miserable but its something special when you hit the summit and don't give up - even if it looks impossible to get in under 24 hours, still one hell of an achievement!

Blog: The National Conundrum

Three peaks challenge on 15:09 - Aug 30 with 2627 viewsSteve_M

Three peaks challenge on 14:25 - Aug 30 by Reuser_is_God

Bishops Hill & Cliff Lane are b@stards mate but Constituition Hill will be the killer.

You should try running up Tuddenham Avenue, it's a steady slope then the top bit of the hill is a load steeper. That used to be the test of how fit I was if I could manage that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Three peaks challenge on 15:10 - Aug 30 with 2617 viewsamy73

Three peaks challenge on 14:10 - Aug 30 by SaleAway

Hi,
I know a few people that have done it. Most of the tips are fairly straightforward... mainly

1. Make sure you have a dedicated driver - don't try and do the walk, and the drive.... you'll be dangerous.

3. Get some walking poles... most people I know who have struggled have had knee problems on the descents... poles take a huge amount of stress off.

4. Think about your timings.... easiest way is to start ben nevis at about 5pm, finish it just as it gets dark, and then drive through the dark, and do scafell in early morning... Snowdon in afternoon... My brother had to start at midday when he did it because of weather conditions, and ended up a bit lost on scafell in the dark... its a featureless boulder field, so its not a great place to be in no light.

5. make sure you have enough food and drink - and eat regularly, even if you don't feel like it because you're tired.

This is absolutely correct on timing. Do not try to start Nevis in the morning.
Three peaks challenge on 15:16 - Aug 30 with 2607 viewsSteve_M

What other have said but in addition:

- make sure you have good footwear, boots are ideal but if that seems too expensive for a weekend then trailshoes;

- make sure you have plenty of water, some food, warm clothes & a waterproof with you on each ascent. Every year some fools who think they know better have to be rescued;

- a half-decent rucksack that fits well will help;

- get a headtorch too. If you carry it around and don't use it, then it will still be worth it because it's invaluable if you do.

Personally, I prefer more remote places with fewer people and far less driving but that's the nature of the challenge. It'll be worthwhile but do some hill training too, it'll help.

Three peaks challenge on 15:36 - Aug 30 with 2565 viewsusm

My daughter did it earlier this year, said its comfortably the hardest thing shes done. Mind you she did minimal "training".

She did it with a decent sized group of mates (10 or 12 I think) and that seemed to help - keeping each other going etc.

Get some good walking boots, wet and cold weather gear and do some training.

Good luck.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

Three peaks challenge on 15:40 - Aug 30 with 2557 viewsyorkshireblue

The Yorkshire Three Peaks is a great warm-up

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/yorkshire-three-peaks-challenge/
Three peaks challenge on 15:49 - Aug 30 with 2540 viewsgerard1947

Three peaks challenge on 14:10 - Aug 30 by SaleAway

Hi,

There are some good points made here.

Quite right re the driving. We had a mini bus with dedicated driver, the trouble was I got very travel sick. It was leave me somewhere on route to make my way home or let me drive. I drove most of the way to Fort William and having climbed Ben Nevis I was so knackered I slept the next leg and wasn't sick.

I'd completed a marathon shortly before the 3 peaks so I thought I'd be fit enough. I ought to have trained on hills I struggled on the descents, toes and knees were really sore. For me coming down was harder than going up.

Totally agree re poles, I borrowed a couple and found it far better.

Timing I agree, it's best not to start walking the day you get there either, have a night between the sheets before you start the challenge.

Pick June or July to maximise daylight, it stays a lot lighter anyway at Ben Nevis.

Don't be tempted to carry too much. Take just enough food and drink, spare socks, lightweight waterproofs depending on weather and a good head torch. Really good are Complead plasters you may well get blisters. Share other things like first aid kit around your party. The more weight you carry the harder it will be.

For me Ben Nevis was like walking up an elevator that was switched off, big steps. You can't see the summit until until you get nearly there. Scarfell was hard as it rained, loads of scree quite hard work in places. Snowdon is easier depending on the route you take.

Have really good walking boots that are broken in.

Personally I found it harder than any of the marathons I've completed probably because I hadn't done any hill walking.

Good luck.
Three peaks challenge on 15:50 - Aug 30 with 2538 viewsSteve_M

Three peaks challenge on 15:40 - Aug 30 by yorkshireblue

The Yorkshire Three Peaks is a great warm-up

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/yorkshire-three-peaks-challenge/

Yes, did that a few years ago. It's a really good day walk, although that climb up Inglebrough is an utter sod at the end of the day.

Three peaks challenge on 17:08 - Aug 30 with 2501 viewstextbackup

Ta for info all, will probably Inbox some of you at later date when we have dates etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Three peaks challenge on 18:14 - Aug 30 with 2465 viewsPlums

Did it the other way round to most. Started at Snowdon in the early morning, ended up coming down Scafell in the dark but made Ben Nevis for first light. If you can, join a larger group as problems with only two of you could mean one gets left while the other goes for help. In a larger group, you can have a buddy who will walk down with you or stay with you if trouble strikes.
Lots of good advice in the thread about gear etc.
Training is key and make sure you're comfortable with your clothing in poor weather - Scafell in the dark and a hailstorm is no fun. Also, know your route. We hadn't done Nevis before but others in the group had. We had all done Snowdon and Scafell at least ahead of the day.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024