Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At last Ipswich look to young players 03:51 - Sep 1 with 2596 viewsharlingblue

A last minute signing, and a young player signed for the season from a Prem Club, allowing our younger players to go out on loan to gain experience, the football chain goes on.
At last we have young players coming through, good enough to stake a claim for a first team place, that is the Ipswich Town that I just love to support.
At last Ipswich look to young players on 03:58 - Sep 1 with 2585 viewsGiveusaWave

Nice and positive harlingblue. We are starting to get known as a club that takes a chance on young players. That's potentially good for our future, as we really can't spend millions on players like some can.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

At last Ipswich look to young players on 07:04 - Sep 1 with 2491 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 03:58 - Sep 1 by GiveusaWave

Nice and positive harlingblue. We are starting to get known as a club that takes a chance on young players. That's potentially good for our future, as we really can't spend millions on players like some can.

Not that we can't, just our owner chooses not to.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:06 - Sep 1 with 2419 viewsHerbivore

At last Ipswich look to young players on 07:04 - Sep 1 by christiand

Not that we can't, just our owner chooses not to.

We make a loss of several million every year, what makes you think that on those circumstances we can afford to spend millions on transfer fees?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:42 - Sep 1 with 2367 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:06 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

We make a loss of several million every year, what makes you think that on those circumstances we can afford to spend millions on transfer fees?

Like the majority of clubs in the league? Yet they still manage to get deals done. I'm not expecting us to spend millions, but put your hand in your pocket and properly back your manager when he needs it. If ME doesn't like doing it, don't own a club would be my advice.

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:43 - Sep 1 with 2367 viewsWickets

Might be a blessing in disguse , step up Woolfie.
At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:47 - Sep 1 with 2356 viewsHerbivore

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:42 - Sep 1 by christiand

Like the majority of clubs in the league? Yet they still manage to get deals done. I'm not expecting us to spend millions, but put your hand in your pocket and properly back your manager when he needs it. If ME doesn't like doing it, don't own a club would be my advice.

He already puts in around £6m a year to back the club. What do you feel is a reasonable level of investment? Also, are you sure the majority of clubs are spending millions? Championship spending was down this window and most clubs have offset their spending with sales, which we haven't done.

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:58 - Sep 1 with 2335 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:47 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

He already puts in around £6m a year to back the club. What do you feel is a reasonable level of investment? Also, are you sure the majority of clubs are spending millions? Championship spending was down this window and most clubs have offset their spending with sales, which we haven't done.

Most clubs are making a loss and that shortfall is being covered, look at clubs throughout the leagues whether that is the Championship, 1 or 2 level. Not many of the Premier League sides are profitable even with their obscene amounts of monies. I've got no sympathy for ME he knew what he was getting into when he first took over. Getting in an experience defender that could make a real difference to our defence would've been really good business. If they played well, keep them in not just for the next game or two. That's tough on Smith and Webster, but that's football.

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:05 - Sep 1 with 2325 viewsHerbivore

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:58 - Sep 1 by christiand

Most clubs are making a loss and that shortfall is being covered, look at clubs throughout the leagues whether that is the Championship, 1 or 2 level. Not many of the Premier League sides are profitable even with their obscene amounts of monies. I've got no sympathy for ME he knew what he was getting into when he first took over. Getting in an experience defender that could make a real difference to our defence would've been really good business. If they played well, keep them in not just for the next game or two. That's tough on Smith and Webster, but that's football.

I see you've ignored pretty much all of my post. What would be a reasonable level of investment given that he's already sticking in £6m a year? Which clubs have a net spend of millions in this league this year? You've said it's the majority, I'd wager it isn't. Our net spend this window is probably top half even though we've not made any multi million pound signings.

Login to get fewer ads

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:06 - Sep 1 with 2323 viewsJimmyJazz

At last Ipswich look to young players on 08:58 - Sep 1 by christiand

As the main target was Goldson on loan, if he came in and made a good impact as it sounded like he could have done, then our defenders get fit and can't get playing time because we have a loan player ahead of them. How does that benefit us long term? It would be a different story if we signed Goldson on a perm deal, but that wasn't about to happen

As it is we got another defensive option, who probably doesn't expect to come in and have a first team place for the duration of his time here.

Would rather Webster get fit and then be given more game time.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:13 - Sep 1 with 2304 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:05 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

I see you've ignored pretty much all of my post. What would be a reasonable level of investment given that he's already sticking in £6m a year? Which clubs have a net spend of millions in this league this year? You've said it's the majority, I'd wager it isn't. Our net spend this window is probably top half even though we've not made any multi million pound signings.

All ifs and buts Herbivore and another topic we won't sadly agree on. You clearly think the sun shines out of ME's ar*e and will make excuses for him. Unfortunately, I'm in the other camp where I see him spend as little as possible in most areas of the club, to cut corners. I haven't got the facts to hand, but I wager that the majority clubs are having to cover the shortfall that includes clubs that have recently been relegated even with their parachute payments. We aren't a special case because the 'wonderful' ME has to put £6m of his own money in annually to help us break even. Likewise if that is such an issue for him, I don't see him actively trying to sell the club either?

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:14 - Sep 1 with 2295 viewsHerbivore

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:13 - Sep 1 by christiand

All ifs and buts Herbivore and another topic we won't sadly agree on. You clearly think the sun shines out of ME's ar*e and will make excuses for him. Unfortunately, I'm in the other camp where I see him spend as little as possible in most areas of the club, to cut corners. I haven't got the facts to hand, but I wager that the majority clubs are having to cover the shortfall that includes clubs that have recently been relegated even with their parachute payments. We aren't a special case because the 'wonderful' ME has to put £6m of his own money in annually to help us break even. Likewise if that is such an issue for him, I don't see him actively trying to sell the club either?

So you're still ignoring my questions then and just waffling on. I'm out.

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:15 - Sep 1 with 2286 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:14 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

So you're still ignoring my questions then and just waffling on. I'm out.

Jog on Herbivore!

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:22 - Sep 1 with 2268 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:06 - Sep 1 by JimmyJazz

As the main target was Goldson on loan, if he came in and made a good impact as it sounded like he could have done, then our defenders get fit and can't get playing time because we have a loan player ahead of them. How does that benefit us long term? It would be a different story if we signed Goldson on a perm deal, but that wasn't about to happen

As it is we got another defensive option, who probably doesn't expect to come in and have a first team place for the duration of his time here.

Would rather Webster get fit and then be given more game time.

Because then Jimmy we could then make an offer to sign them at the end of the season? There are no guarantees that those players that are injured will comeback on schedule. Our track record isn't great in getting injured players back on time through rehab. At least having someone experienced and playing well would take the pressure off rushing players back.

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:31 - Sep 1 with 2245 viewsJimmyJazz

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:22 - Sep 1 by christiand

Because then Jimmy we could then make an offer to sign them at the end of the season? There are no guarantees that those players that are injured will comeback on schedule. Our track record isn't great in getting injured players back on time through rehab. At least having someone experienced and playing well would take the pressure off rushing players back.

With some loans, definitely a possibility. But with Goldson I just see Brighton wanting to get their player back into playing regularly again. If he's a success for us they won't want to sell, or only for an inflated fee, while if he isn't successful then we won't want him.

The other options mentioned - Shackell and Hobbs were rather risky injury wise. I would rather we had offered Taylor a one year contract, but it's easy to say that in hindsight

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:37 - Sep 1 with 2234 viewschristiand

At last Ipswich look to young players on 09:31 - Sep 1 by JimmyJazz

With some loans, definitely a possibility. But with Goldson I just see Brighton wanting to get their player back into playing regularly again. If he's a success for us they won't want to sell, or only for an inflated fee, while if he isn't successful then we won't want him.

The other options mentioned - Shackell and Hobbs were rather risky injury wise. I would rather we had offered Taylor a one year contract, but it's easy to say that in hindsight

I'm not disputing your view Jimmy as I understand where you are coming from. Perhaps there could've been something agreed, between the clubs, prior to the loan of the player?

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and you can't legislate for the amount of injuries we have had, but Taylor would've been ideal for this current CB situation and his experience invaluable. Nevertheless, his injury record wasn't great either but still think he would've been worth the gamble.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024