Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy Suppliers 18:43 - Sep 2 with 12503 viewsJimmyJazz

Thinking of going outside of the top 6 suppliers. Anyone any advice on whether this is a good idea? Or anyone in particular to avoid?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Energy Suppliers on 19:35 - Sep 2 with 8817 viewsPorridge123

Recently switched to bulb, pretty well set up new energy company and found them to be the cheapest in my area on USwitch. They're currently switching people for free by paying off any leaving fees as well. They also have £50 off for anyone who uses a referral code like this: bulb.co.uk/refer/simon5479

Plus they have the added bonus of being largely green energy if you're into that.
Energy Suppliers on 19:47 - Sep 2 with 8805 viewsRyorry

Ovo do an all-renewables tarriff which is obv a bit more expensive, but I consider worth it. They will also install Economy 10 meters (not all do) which is great if you're retired or work shifts - cheap rate midnight-5am, 1-4pm, 8-10pm GMT + 1 hr in BST. Reasonable customer service.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Energy Suppliers on 19:59 - Sep 2 with 8791 viewsEdwardStone

Utility Warehouse

They do a bulk deal, leccy, gas broadband, landline and mobile phone....the more you purchase thru them, the bigger the discounts

I have just swapped to them

Monthly outgoings of all the above from various of the big companies was £165 per month

Now £54 per month

Worth a look, I reckon
Energy Suppliers on 20:12 - Sep 2 with 8765 viewsfactual_blue

Energy Suppliers on 19:35 - Sep 2 by Porridge123

Recently switched to bulb, pretty well set up new energy company and found them to be the cheapest in my area on USwitch. They're currently switching people for free by paying off any leaving fees as well. They also have £50 off for anyone who uses a referral code like this: bulb.co.uk/refer/simon5479

Plus they have the added bonus of being largely green energy if you're into that.

Surely blub is the recommended supplier for twtd?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Energy Suppliers on 20:21 - Sep 2 with 8755 viewssolemio

Energy Suppliers on 19:47 - Sep 2 by Ryorry

Ovo do an all-renewables tarriff which is obv a bit more expensive, but I consider worth it. They will also install Economy 10 meters (not all do) which is great if you're retired or work shifts - cheap rate midnight-5am, 1-4pm, 8-10pm GMT + 1 hr in BST. Reasonable customer service.

I too am with OVO. I have found their customer service to be exemplary. Perhaps I have just been lucky.
Energy Suppliers on 21:23 - Sep 2 with 8704 viewsRyorry

Energy Suppliers on 20:21 - Sep 2 by solemio

I too am with OVO. I have found their customer service to be exemplary. Perhaps I have just been lucky.

It took me at least a dozen emails, about the same number of phone-calls, and them 4 months to sort out the problem that they'd got my peak/offpeak wiring round the wrong way ...

They also erroneously told me, when I specifically asked right at the outset before installation (and they later agreed that they'd recorded the phone call) that GMT automatically switches over to BST and vice versa in March and Oct, on the meter. It doesn't - customers have to adjust their usage via their own lifestyles if they want to max out the savings.

They do give 3% on whatever ££ credit you have with them!

Energy Suppliers on 23:04 - Sep 3 with 8553 viewsjeera

It's not hard for people to do their own homework [nowadays] is it?

Look at what you use and when and work from there. Look at unit prices etc.

Do a random search of reviews for CS if necessary.

Edit: This came across as harsh. Wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be an observation/advice. Never mind.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Energy Suppliers on 23:50 - Sep 3 with 8549 viewsJimmyJazz

Energy Suppliers on 23:04 - Sep 3 by jeera

It's not hard for people to do their own homework [nowadays] is it?

Look at what you use and when and work from there. Look at unit prices etc.

Do a random search of reviews for CS if necessary.

Edit: This came across as harsh. Wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be an observation/advice. Never mind.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:34]

Homework shows that some suppliers outside the top 6 quote lower prices, the question is whether the saying ' you get what you pay for' applies

As for CS, i could read reviews on a company's website, which may or may not be fictional. Or i could ask the question of a forum where i assume the vast majority have no vested interest in who i choose to go with.

Login to get fewer ads

Energy Suppliers on 23:52 - Sep 3 with 8545 viewsCaptMickMills

Octopus
Energy Suppliers on 23:57 - Sep 3 with 8530 viewsjeera

Energy Suppliers on 23:50 - Sep 3 by JimmyJazz

Homework shows that some suppliers outside the top 6 quote lower prices, the question is whether the saying ' you get what you pay for' applies

As for CS, i could read reviews on a company's website, which may or may not be fictional. Or i could ask the question of a forum where i assume the vast majority have no vested interest in who i choose to go with.

I wasn't criticising!

That was my input! That's my idea of being helpful.

Edited ^
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 0:35]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Energy Suppliers on 02:16 - Sep 4 with 8502 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've found OVO to be complete and utter tvvats, if thats any help. Moved into a property where previous owner had run up debts and next thing I knew they'd sent in a company to change the locks and we were stuck outside with 2 small kids late at night, and on the evening we were supposed to packing for a holiday the following day. The only way I could get into my own house (eventually) was to pay off his/her debts.

Horrible company - unreasonable and small-minded customer 'service'. Same with most compnies - you only know how good they are when something goes wrong. And these t0ssers failed the test catastrophically. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

But apart from that I suppose they're ok

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Energy Suppliers on 05:52 - Sep 4 with 8466 viewsBlue_Order

Carabao.
Energy Suppliers on 07:10 - Sep 4 with 8424 viewsJakeITFC

Yes, switch.

There are always, and I mean always, new entrants into the market who are literally buying customers at rates that are cheaper than cost. Sign up for a year and then find the next company doing the same thing, but the key is to never just let your contract roll onto their 'standard' tariff (because that is exactly what they want).

If you're after the best customer service and not too bothered about price, I'd suggest OVO.
Energy Suppliers on 07:27 - Sep 4 with 8408 viewsandytown

Energy Suppliers on 07:10 - Sep 4 by JakeITFC

Yes, switch.

There are always, and I mean always, new entrants into the market who are literally buying customers at rates that are cheaper than cost. Sign up for a year and then find the next company doing the same thing, but the key is to never just let your contract roll onto their 'standard' tariff (because that is exactly what they want).

If you're after the best customer service and not too bothered about price, I'd suggest OVO.

Have found Flow Energy to be easy and good value for gas, they are based in Ipswich.
Energy Suppliers on 08:51 - Sep 4 with 8364 viewshoppy

Energy Suppliers on 05:52 - Sep 4 by Blue_Order

Carabao.

Not so good with cup draws though, are they?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Energy Suppliers on 13:34 - Nov 16 with 6764 viewsRyorry

Bringing this back up as I've just renewed with Ovo, and am leaving comparative reviews in a couple of places for future reference. Essentials for me are all-renewables, Economy 10 option, single fuel only. Yorkshire region.

Phoned Bulb - upfront recorded message said 10-15 mins average waiting time on hold. Life's too short for that, didn't hold.

Greener Energy - everyone at lunch apart from one lass whose computer was down! From a search, their night rates seem to have risen pretty dramatically from this time last year, and the very cheap rate for it was the main attraction back then. Day rate was always a bit higher, tho competitive standing charge - or a flat rate price with no standing charge also available - useful for those away a lot in summer maybe. Edit - update with prices - E10 standing charge 29.30p daily; ordinary rate 21.13p/unit; cheap rate 11.32p/unit. All including VAT. You'd have to do some pretty detailed analysis of your previous ordinary/cheap usage to see whether this would be cheaper than Ovo. I think I'd probably try out Peoples Energy before going with this GE tariff, which on the face of it seems expensive.

Peoples Energy. Crowd-funded ethical co-operative using all-renewables on a rolling monthly contract. No E10 but do have E7, and competitive prices (which drop or rise according to oil market) currently 21.0p daily standing charge; 16.78p/day unit; 8.23/night unit for 00.30-7.30am (they said both GMT and BST but I'd check on that), might mean they'd even out no E10. All prices incl VAT. However, they've only been going as a company for just over a year, and I think I'll wait another year for them to have more of a track record and feedback about them before taking the risk.

Good Energy did do E10 last year, but their prices were considerably higher than Ovo's then, and I haven't re-checked this year.

Have renewed with Ovo on a 1-year fixed rate (cheaper than 2-year fixed), E10, 'Better Energy' + 'Green Energy' add-on to make it an all-renewables deal. Cheap rates midnight-5am; 1-4pm; 8-10pm GMT (+ 1 when BST). SC - 28.77p daily; 17.01p ordinary rate; 9.70p cheap rate - all incl VAT.

Other companies I tried such as Ecotricity, Octopus or iSupplyEnergy (last year) either didn't do E10, or an all-renewables tariff, or had very poor reviews (or a combination of those things).
[Post edited 16 Nov 2018 15:25]

Energy Suppliers on 13:46 - Nov 16 with 6741 viewsJimmyJazz

Energy Suppliers on 13:34 - Nov 16 by Ryorry

Bringing this back up as I've just renewed with Ovo, and am leaving comparative reviews in a couple of places for future reference. Essentials for me are all-renewables, Economy 10 option, single fuel only. Yorkshire region.

Phoned Bulb - upfront recorded message said 10-15 mins average waiting time on hold. Life's too short for that, didn't hold.

Greener Energy - everyone at lunch apart from one lass whose computer was down! From a search, their night rates seem to have risen pretty dramatically from this time last year, and the very cheap rate for it was the main attraction back then. Day rate was always a bit higher, tho competitive standing charge - or a flat rate price with no standing charge also available - useful for those away a lot in summer maybe. Edit - update with prices - E10 standing charge 29.30p daily; ordinary rate 21.13p/unit; cheap rate 11.32p/unit. All including VAT. You'd have to do some pretty detailed analysis of your previous ordinary/cheap usage to see whether this would be cheaper than Ovo. I think I'd probably try out Peoples Energy before going with this GE tariff, which on the face of it seems expensive.

Peoples Energy. Crowd-funded ethical co-operative using all-renewables on a rolling monthly contract. No E10 but do have E7, and competitive prices (which drop or rise according to oil market) currently 21.0p daily standing charge; 16.78p/day unit; 8.23/night unit for 00.30-7.30am (they said both GMT and BST but I'd check on that), might mean they'd even out no E10. All prices incl VAT. However, they've only been going as a company for just over a year, and I think I'll wait another year for them to have more of a track record and feedback about them before taking the risk.

Good Energy did do E10 last year, but their prices were considerably higher than Ovo's then, and I haven't re-checked this year.

Have renewed with Ovo on a 1-year fixed rate (cheaper than 2-year fixed), E10, 'Better Energy' + 'Green Energy' add-on to make it an all-renewables deal. Cheap rates midnight-5am; 1-4pm; 8-10pm GMT (+ 1 when BST). SC - 28.77p daily; 17.01p ordinary rate; 9.70p cheap rate - all incl VAT.

Other companies I tried such as Ecotricity, Octopus or iSupplyEnergy (last year) either didn't do E10, or an all-renewables tariff, or had very poor reviews (or a combination of those things).
[Post edited 16 Nov 2018 15:25]

Great stuff Ryorry. I nearly switched to Pure Planet, but they turned out to be Pure Bozos. They delight in being an app based company. I asked Go Compare to switch to them, they sent me an app to use and register with. Then I heard nothing for about 6 weeks.

No possibility of calling Pure Planet, they had some contraption to log questions / issues / whatever. So I asked if I had actually switched. No response

Called Go Compare, are you sure I was switched. Yes, went through fine from their side. Why have I not heard from them and e-on are still taking money from my Direct Debit. Ah, let's try again. Did you get the app? Yeah, but forget it. I switched to Scottish Power instead

App based companies??? No thanks
[Post edited 16 Nov 2018 16:19]

Energy Suppliers on 13:47 - Nov 16 with 6742 viewsitfcjoe

I signed up with Flipper following a recommendation on here (DanTheMan?)

You pay them a £25 fee per annum and they just flip you to an alternate supplier as and when it will save you more than £50 a year, and do all the legwork for you.

I'm currently with Avro energy and paying a hell of a lot less than when I was with Scottish Power - only issue is if you are behind on payments you need to settle balance and then you end up payign one in advance, but once it is rolling it is very good.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 13:50 - Nov 16 with 6723 views_

Energy Suppliers on 19:35 - Sep 2 by Porridge123

Energy Suppliers on 14:22 - Nov 16 with 6688 viewsNo9

The main thing is to read the small print looking for obscure T's & C's that will annoy you later and to ensure you are not siging up to a major with a different name
Energy Suppliers on 14:28 - Nov 16 with 6678 viewsGeoffSentence

Energy Suppliers on 02:16 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

I've found OVO to be complete and utter tvvats, if thats any help. Moved into a property where previous owner had run up debts and next thing I knew they'd sent in a company to change the locks and we were stuck outside with 2 small kids late at night, and on the evening we were supposed to packing for a holiday the following day. The only way I could get into my own house (eventually) was to pay off his/her debts.

Horrible company - unreasonable and small-minded customer 'service'. Same with most compnies - you only know how good they are when something goes wrong. And these t0ssers failed the test catastrophically. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

But apart from that I suppose they're ok

I am shocked to discover that they can do that. Having read your story I googled about for similar issues and it seems to happen quite a lot. They are supposed to contact the householders before doing so but typically what happens is that the letters are addressed to the former occupants, so the new occupants forward them on and have no idea there is a problem until the bailiffs break in.

Given that it happens a lot there should be a better protocol to protect people like yourself.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Energy Suppliers on 14:34 - Nov 16 with 6672 viewsRyorry

Energy Suppliers on 13:46 - Nov 16 by JimmyJazz

Great stuff Ryorry. I nearly switched to Pure Planet, but they turned out to be Pure Bozos. They delight in being an app based company. I asked Go Compare to switch to them, they sent me an app to use and register with. Then I heard nothing for about 6 weeks.

No possibility of calling Pure Planet, they had some contraption to log questions / issues / whatever. So I asked if I had actually switched. No response

Called Go Compare, are you sure I was switched. Yes, went through fine from their side. Why have I not heard from them and e-on are still taking money from my Direct Debit. Ah, let's try again. Did you get the app? Yeah, but forget it. I switched to Scottish Power instead

App based companies??? No thanks
[Post edited 16 Nov 2018 16:19]

Thanks for the info - had seen Pure Planet name mentioned somewhere but hadn't looked into yet - and will make sure I don't now, they sound like a must-swerve!

Gav also started this thread (at around the same time?). I'm afraid I've read some reviews of Green Network which give it an absolute caning though.

Switching energy - Green Network Energy by GavTWTD 15 Aug 2017 14:47
So... I've after British Gas decided to put their prices up, I'll look at switching dual fuel. I entered my details into uswitch and it's come up with a saving of over £200 a year.

The best plan was with Green Network Energy which is powered with 100% renewables which I like the sound of.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this and switching in general?

Fwiw, I found out today that Geoff Sentence was in one way quite right re what he said on it about Ovo giving 5% interest reward for customers in credit - they do, but only after you've been with them a while - you get 3% in year 1, 4% in year 2, and 5% in year 3 (NB it's only for those paying in advance by DD).

Energy Suppliers on 14:35 - Nov 16 with 6665 viewsDanTheMan

Energy Suppliers on 13:47 - Nov 16 by itfcjoe

I signed up with Flipper following a recommendation on here (DanTheMan?)

You pay them a £25 fee per annum and they just flip you to an alternate supplier as and when it will save you more than £50 a year, and do all the legwork for you.

I'm currently with Avro energy and paying a hell of a lot less than when I was with Scottish Power - only issue is if you are behind on payments you need to settle balance and then you end up payign one in advance, but once it is rolling it is very good.

Yup that was me. It's been great for me so far, also means I don't spend any time thinking about it every couple of years. Really decent rates too.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Energy Suppliers on 14:48 - Nov 16 with 6646 viewsRyorry

Energy Suppliers on 14:28 - Nov 16 by GeoffSentence

I am shocked to discover that they can do that. Having read your story I googled about for similar issues and it seems to happen quite a lot. They are supposed to contact the householders before doing so but typically what happens is that the letters are addressed to the former occupants, so the new occupants forward them on and have no idea there is a problem until the bailiffs break in.

Given that it happens a lot there should be a better protocol to protect people like yourself.

Do you know what, a similar thing happened to me in a minor way when a previous tenant moved out of the annexe & I took over the supply for 3 weeks. Didn't get to the bailiffs stage! but Ovo's system failed to note when another new tenant then moved in later, despite them being notified by the agency managing the let.

When I rang Ovo up, I was not allowed to tell them the former tenant's forwarding address - "for legal reasons" - can't remember exactly why, "data protection"??! 😂 And/or they needed to know that the bills hadn't been dealt with by anybody at this end - ie a "no response" counted as proof for the bailiffs that the bills weren't paid. Absolutely mind-bogglingly ridiculous!

All I could do was actually forward the bills to him. Supposing I'd been on holiday?!

Energy Suppliers on 14:58 - Nov 16 with 6632 viewsVic

Energy Suppliers on 23:52 - Sep 3 by CaptMickMills

Octopus

I'll second this.

I moved to them 5 months ago after 8 years with eon. Saved myself £50 a month. The switch was very, very easy and I was kept informed of every step via email. They always email before they take a payment and have a super easy meter reading set up - all done online.

I've no experience of how other companies do it these days but this lot are great.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024