Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC digital Blackface 09:14 - Sep 5 with 3551 viewsbluebud

After the cool runnings thread thought this might help/not help/ bore people to death or infuriate....for no real reason.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-40931479/is-it-ok-to-use-black-emojis-and-gif

My opinion is that the video is nonsense by the fact that her premise of black memes being the most popularly used is incorrect. They aren't used more often. The memes demonstrated by the video are also exclusively actors and entertainers, it wasn't long ago that broadcasters and the viewing public used to be chastised for not paying attention to black culture and entertainers.
BBC digital Blackface on 09:45 - Sep 5 with 3505 viewsSchmoke

People like her play their role in spreading hatred and dividing races almost as much as 'white people do' by making stuff like this up.

She's part of the problem, under the guise of trying to fix things.

People need to actually focus on real problems, not utter crap like this, and only then can we can we actually take strides to towards sorting things out.
BBC digital Blackface on 10:10 - Sep 5 with 3468 viewsbluebud

BBC digital Blackface on 09:45 - Sep 5 by Schmoke

People like her play their role in spreading hatred and dividing races almost as much as 'white people do' by making stuff like this up.

She's part of the problem, under the guise of trying to fix things.

People need to actually focus on real problems, not utter crap like this, and only then can we can we actually take strides to towards sorting things out.

.,,.her dramatic pronunciation of white people at 0.36 says more about where she's coming from than the content of the piece.

I can understand people having misgivings about minstrels and shows from the 70's....some of them shameful (all of them on the BBC including minstrels)....to me though meme culture is as multicultural,global and as inclusive as you can get.
BBC digital Blackface on 10:24 - Sep 5 with 3457 viewsSchmoke

BBC digital Blackface on 10:10 - Sep 5 by bluebud

.,,.her dramatic pronunciation of white people at 0.36 says more about where she's coming from than the content of the piece.

I can understand people having misgivings about minstrels and shows from the 70's....some of them shameful (all of them on the BBC including minstrels)....to me though meme culture is as multicultural,global and as inclusive as you can get.

You've summed it up perfectly in your first sentence there.

This goes well beyond meme culture - she's found an angle to spread her hatred from and the BBC are letting her do it.

So am I by discussing it.
BBC digital Blackface on 10:27 - Sep 5 with 3447 viewsimsureazzure

Having child botherer Michael Jackson during the slides is ironic.
BBC digital Blackface on 11:23 - Sep 5 with 3396 viewsDarth_Koont

It's a bit click-baity and sensationalised as the conclusion in the last 15 seconds or so is pretty reasonable.

It's just saying be aware of why you're using a black gif or emoji - if it's to appropriate some stereotype of blackness or make yourself appear more street and "urban" then she's right, that's getting towards what blackface was all about.

Pronouns: He/Him

BBC digital Blackface on 12:46 - Sep 5 with 3347 viewsbluebud

BBC digital Blackface on 11:23 - Sep 5 by Darth_Koont

It's a bit click-baity and sensationalised as the conclusion in the last 15 seconds or so is pretty reasonable.

It's just saying be aware of why you're using a black gif or emoji - if it's to appropriate some stereotype of blackness or make yourself appear more street and "urban" then she's right, that's getting towards what blackface was all about.

...so a quarter of it is reasonable

....she used a picture of a white girl with dreadlocks mate while either wearing a wig or having straightened her hair.

..I find the video offensive to logic, fair play and the licence fee.
BBC digital Blackface on 12:56 - Sep 5 with 3329 viewsDarth_Koont

BBC digital Blackface on 12:46 - Sep 5 by bluebud

...so a quarter of it is reasonable

....she used a picture of a white girl with dreadlocks mate while either wearing a wig or having straightened her hair.

..I find the video offensive to logic, fair play and the licence fee.

No, the underlying point is reasonable.

Like you, I have issues with how they got there.

BBC digital Blackface on 13:05 - Sep 5 with 3317 viewsbluebud

BBC digital Blackface on 12:56 - Sep 5 by Darth_Koont

No, the underlying point is reasonable.

Like you, I have issues with how they got there.

...the underlying point is stop appropriating stuff.

what though is wrong with appropriation? I actually think it's a healthy sign of cultures mixing well and being harmonious and is something that we in Britain have been very good at indeed. In fact I'd say we were unique in the way we have integrated that phenomena into our culture and society.

Easy to misinterpret comments on a subject like this so making it clear I'm not disagreeing with you or having a go.
Login to get fewer ads

BBC digital Blackface on 13:37 - Sep 5 with 3288 viewsDarth_Koont

BBC digital Blackface on 13:05 - Sep 5 by bluebud

...the underlying point is stop appropriating stuff.

what though is wrong with appropriation? I actually think it's a healthy sign of cultures mixing well and being harmonious and is something that we in Britain have been very good at indeed. In fact I'd say we were unique in the way we have integrated that phenomena into our culture and society.

Easy to misinterpret comments on a subject like this so making it clear I'm not disagreeing with you or having a go.

Fair enough - and I agree that it's mostly healthy. However, there's a balance. When you're part of a minority culture within the larger society then there's clearly more importance attached and sensitivity.

Especially if what is being "borrowed" is stereotypical. The conclusion about at least being aware (and wary) of that before posting something seems fair enough.

BBC digital Blackface on 14:23 - Sep 5 with 3237 viewstcblue

BBC digital Blackface on 13:37 - Sep 5 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough - and I agree that it's mostly healthy. However, there's a balance. When you're part of a minority culture within the larger society then there's clearly more importance attached and sensitivity.

Especially if what is being "borrowed" is stereotypical. The conclusion about at least being aware (and wary) of that before posting something seems fair enough.

This is the stumbling block for many in the previous thread, the historical context of (mis) appropriation
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024