Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winter City Break 20:21 - Sep 5 with 6846 viewsm14_blue

Looking to go away for 3/4 nights in December or January.

Not an enormous budget but not looking for bargain basement.

Was thinking maybe Iceland, or Copenhagen anyone been?

Any other recommendations?
Winter City Break on 20:23 - Sep 5 with 6833 viewsJakeITFC

Bruges.

Easy to get to, cheap enough to stay, and very good food and beer. One of the prettiest places I've been, especially around Christmas time.
Winter City Break on 20:28 - Sep 5 with 6809 viewsSteve_M

Lisbon is nice then, I went in January a few years back. Nice mix of good food and cultural stuff.

I wonder whether lack of daylight for Iceland then might restrict you a bit.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Winter City Break on 20:44 - Sep 5 with 6778 viewsclive_baker

You might want to remortgage to buy a beer at either of those, especially with the current fx rates. Both are great though.

I'm a massive fan of Edinburgh. There are few finer cities in Europe IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Winter City Break on 20:44 - Sep 5 with 6774 viewshype313

Winter City Break on 20:23 - Sep 5 by JakeITFC

Bruges.

Easy to get to, cheap enough to stay, and very good food and beer. One of the prettiest places I've been, especially around Christmas time.

Bruges is nice, I though Ghent was even better. Both really easy to get to.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Winter City Break on 20:46 - Sep 5 with 6767 viewsMullet

Both relatively dear, although only been to Copenhagen and stayed in some sketchy neighbourhood for a BJJ camp so didn't get the best feel for the place. Don't think it'd be much fun in winter though.

Budapest would be my suggestion. Perfect but fairly snowy in winter, lots to see/do and cheap.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Winter City Break on 21:03 - Sep 5 with 6735 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Marrakech?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Winter City Break on 21:15 - Sep 5 with 6708 viewsm14_blue

Good stuff cheers everyone.

Think those suggestions are pretty much all better than my original ideas.
Winter City Break on 23:20 - Sep 5 with 6624 viewsbluelou

The Danes love xmas; Copenhagen for sure. They do a santa kayak thing in December which is just ace. Sod the cost, it's the best option.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Winter City Break on 23:51 - Sep 5 with 6603 viewsElderGrizzly

Winter City Break on 21:15 - Sep 5 by m14_blue

I've done Budapest and Helsinki over new year. Both great short breaks and you get the New Year celebrations too.
Winter City Break on 09:32 - Sep 6 with 6471 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Riga
Winter City Break on 09:38 - Sep 6 with 6464 viewsBactonBlue

Berlin for the Christmas markets and lots of sight seeing was amazing last year. Couldn't recommend it more if I'm honest.
Winter City Break on 12:04 - Sep 6 with 6404 viewsmojo

Winter City Break on 21:15 - Sep 5 by m14_blue

Iceland could be really good for the Northern Lights that time of year tho. It depends what you are looking for from the holiday.
Winter City Break on 12:11 - Sep 6 with 6396 viewsuefacup81

Winter City Break on 09:38 - Sep 6 by BactonBlue

Berlin for the Christmas markets and lots of sight seeing was amazing last year. Couldn't recommend it more if I'm honest.

+1 for Berlin.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Winter City Break on 12:23 - Sep 6 with 6382 viewsJakeITFC

I mean, yeah - Berlin is the best place going.

I just think going for Christmas markets is a waste as it means you're not doing something else there.
Winter City Break on 12:32 - Sep 6 with 6367 viewscaught-in-limbo

For an Iberian city break with dry weather almost guaranteed I'd recommend Lisbon, Sevilla, Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia - probably in that order. There's plenty to see do and eat in all those places. If your priorities are Christmassy or foodie than I'd recommend other places.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Winter City Break on 12:57 - Sep 6 with 6343 viewsBarcaBlue

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Visited Ljubljana, Budapest and Zagreb this Summer and would would put them in that order of "visitability". Found Zagreb a bit disappointing, nice but not much to see. Budapest was great - could easily have spent a couple of days just wandering around, popping into cafes - pretty cheap and l need to go again. Ljubljana had it all for me though, not overcrowded, loads of eating places, good prices, nice people, easy day trips to Lake Bled and Vingar Gorge - just a great place.

As an aside, Padua is a wonderful city - would make a great base to visit Venice, Verona and the surrounding area. Empty of tourists, full of shops, eateries and architecture.
Winter City Break on 13:41 - Sep 6 with 6307 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Interested to hear thoughts on Iceland? Iceland air just introduced a new route from PHL where you can stop off for up to 7 days for free in Reykjavik and I am thinking of doing it on my next trip back to the UK for maybe 3 nights or so.
Winter City Break on 16:50 - Sep 6 with 6255 viewslinhdi

Winter City Break on 13:41 - Sep 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Interested to hear thoughts on Iceland? Iceland air just introduced a new route from PHL where you can stop off for up to 7 days for free in Reykjavik and I am thinking of doing it on my next trip back to the UK for maybe 3 nights or so.

It's a Yes from me. Wonderful place.
Winter City Break on 17:16 - Sep 6 with 6232 viewscaught-in-limbo

Winter City Break on 16:50 - Sep 6 by linhdi

It's a Yes from me. Wonderful place.

Really, at Christmas?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Winter City Break on 17:19 - Sep 6 with 6230 viewsArgyle_blue

A second for me for Ljubljana. It also has the bonus of the possibility of a days skiing which I always take up when I visit.

Just got back from Bratislava in Slovakia and can fully recommend. Direct flights from Stansted, great old town and cheap. Didn't do it but you can always visit Vienna for a night from there. You can even take a ferry along the Danube.

Have fun - so many great places to visit.
Winter City Break on 20:42 - Sep 6 with 6159 viewsMuswellblue

Zagreb or Berlin would be my recommendation.
Winter City Break on 23:16 - Sep 6 with 6091 viewsBerlinBlue

Always a great city to visit, but beware it is likely to be FREEZING at that time of year. -16C greeted me during my first winter there. The streets turn into ice rinks, black ice an issue.
Winter City Break on 09:21 - Sep 7 with 6006 viewsPinewoodblue

Winter City Break on 23:16 - Sep 6 by BerlinBlue

Always a great city to visit, but beware it is likely to be FREEZING at that time of year. -16C greeted me during my first winter there. The streets turn into ice rinks, black ice an issue.

Can remember a January weekend in Prague when maximum daytime temperature was -5.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Winter City Break on 09:24 - Sep 7 with 6003 viewsKieran_Knows

Definitely this. Went at the back end of November last year and got a really good deal (Friday - Monday). Think me and the missus paid £155 each (flights and hotel).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Winter City Break on 15:06 - Sep 7 with 5949 viewsVillageBlue

Seems like you first need to decide if you want it cold or the possiblity that it might be at least a bit warm. Seville is likely to be your best bet for warmth that time of year. Lisbon also should be ok. As well as the city of Lisbon there is also Sintra (up in the hills) and Cascais/Estoril (seaside resorts), both of which are very short train journeys from Lisbon, so you can pack plenty of different things in if you so want. Any eastern european city is likely to be pretty cold Dec/Jan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024