Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talk to me about.... Speedway. 22:04 - Sep 7 with 2204 viewsamy73

Went years ago as a kid, was thinking of going with DS. I see the Witches are doing well. What's the format from now on. Are there playoffs? What crowds do they get?
Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 22:32 - Sep 7 with 2168 viewsjeera

I can't help I'm afraid but I used to go as a kid.

The thing I remember most was the smell. What a fantastic smell.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 22:40 - Sep 7 with 2144 viewsFtnfwest

Went to a few meets during one season as a kid in 1976 with my uncle. Saw a couple in Ipswich but several away at Poole, white city and kings Lynn. The noise, the noise
Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 22:41 - Sep 7 with 2150 viewsITFC_Forever

We had a thread on this a week or two ago, but here goes.... I follow the Witches, mainly from a distance, but I go a few times a season.

Ipswich Witches are second in the second tier with three away league games to go, but speedway sold its soul to Sky a few seasons ago, so the Champions aren't the ones who finish top of the league, but the ones who win the end of season play-offs.... tonight's win has helped us strengthen our grip on second, so we should be in them.

In terms of home matches, attendances have been boosted over the summer by the kids for free scheme, and I suppose they get 500-750 people?

Racing is most Thursday nights at 7.30pm from March to October and is a good night out, there's a bar as well.

There is a huge latent support and affection for the Witches in Ipswich, a lot of people fall in to the same casual supporter category I do and used to go (with varying degrees of frequency) in years gone by, going back to the glory years of the 70s and early 80s (very similar to ITFC), indeed John Louis beat a number of Bobby Robson's finest to the Evening Star Ipswich Sports Personality of the Year in one year in the seventies.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 9:14]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:11 - Sep 8 with 1987 viewsSWGF

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 22:41 - Sep 7 by ITFC_Forever

We had a thread on this a week or two ago, but here goes.... I follow the Witches, mainly from a distance, but I go a few times a season.

Ipswich Witches are second in the second tier with three away league games to go, but speedway sold its soul to Sky a few seasons ago, so the Champions aren't the ones who finish top of the league, but the ones who win the end of season play-offs.... tonight's win has helped us strengthen our grip on second, so we should be in them.

In terms of home matches, attendances have been boosted over the summer by the kids for free scheme, and I suppose they get 500-750 people?

Racing is most Thursday nights at 7.30pm from March to October and is a good night out, there's a bar as well.

There is a huge latent support and affection for the Witches in Ipswich, a lot of people fall in to the same casual supporter category I do and used to go (with varying degrees of frequency) in years gone by, going back to the glory years of the 70s and early 80s (very similar to ITFC), indeed John Louis beat a number of Bobby Robson's finest to the Evening Star Ipswich Sports Personality of the Year in one year in the seventies.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 9:14]

My middle name is Louis, named after John Louis.

#swgffacts

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:12 - Sep 8 with 1987 viewsYaffle

I can't help with your question but I think that's well covered by ITFC_Forever.

My dad rode for the dark side (Norwich Stars) in the early 60's and I remember him taking me to Foxhall years later in the mid 70's. The smell (Castrol R...yum), sound and being sprayed with gravel whilst slowly freezing to death is one of my earliest and clearest memories of me and him together. TWTD
Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:17 - Sep 8 with 1969 viewsITFC_Forever

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:11 - Sep 8 by SWGF

My middle name is Louis, named after John Louis.

#swgffacts

John Louis was my first sporting idol.

My Mum and Dad moved to Ipswich in the late 60s, and they got to be friends with people who went to speedway and so went along with them, and within a short space of time, they were part of the thousands of regulars that used to go in the seventies, so much so they never missed a home match and went to many away games.

I was born halfway through the seventies and my earliest memories are of Foxhall Stadium, cheering on the likes of Louis, Billy Sanders and co..... my auntie made me a toy tiger in support of John Louis as he was known as John Tiger Louis.

TWTD.

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:20 - Sep 8 with 1958 viewsitfcjoe

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:17 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

My Mum and Dad moved to Ipswich in the late 60s, and they got to be friends with people who went to speedway and so went along with them, and within a short space of time, they were part of the thousands of regulars that used to go in the seventies, so much so they never missed a home match and went to many away games.

I was born halfway through the seventies and my earliest memories are of Foxhall Stadium, cheering on the likes of Louis, Billy Sanders and co..... my auntie made me a toy tiger in support of John Louis as he was known as John Tiger Louis.

TWTD.

My Mum and Dad used to go in the 70s and I went a fair bit in the 90s with my programme holder keeping the score with all the rider replacement and bonus points.

Always a good night, loved the smell and the noise - remember the epic '99(?) season with Tony Rickardsson, Thomas Gollob, Chris Louis and Scotty Nicholls where we won everything.

Now I live in Rushmere can't say I'm as big a fan of the noise but sure it won't be long before I'm walking over there with my boy in the summer evenings

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:35 - Sep 8 with 1943 viewsITFC_Forever

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:20 - Sep 8 by itfcjoe

My Mum and Dad used to go in the 70s and I went a fair bit in the 90s with my programme holder keeping the score with all the rider replacement and bonus points.

Always a good night, loved the smell and the noise - remember the epic '99(?) season with Tony Rickardsson, Thomas Gollob, Chris Louis and Scotty Nicholls where we won everything.

Now I live in Rushmere can't say I'm as big a fan of the noise but sure it won't be long before I'm walking over there with my boy in the summer evenings

Yep, when I go I religiously fill in the programme, it's a craft passed down from generation to generation.... except my Dad never used to bother filling in the top bit which tracks the riders' scores through the meeting.

1998 was the season you're referring to - Louis, Svab, Rickardsson, Gollob, Nicholls and Clouting. I've got a mug somewhere with that team on it.

Just out of interest, which form of motorsport do you hear loudest from your house? Speedway or stock cars?
Not that I have much sympathy with anyone who moves near Foxhall and complains about the noise - the stadium has been there for many, many years and was there before virtually all these people moved in to their houses.

Login to get fewer ads

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:43 - Sep 8 with 1930 viewsSWGF

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:17 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

TWTD.

Yep, sounds identical to me. Think my middle name was a toss-up between Louis or Tiger!!

We're 25miles away but my old dears used to go religiously. I remember the sound and smell. I had John Louis stickers on my headboard when I was about 5 or 6. Don't reckon they (or I) have been for 35yrs.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:46 - Sep 8 with 1925 viewsitfcjoe

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:35 - Sep 8 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, when I go I religiously fill in the programme, it's a craft passed down from generation to generation.... except my Dad never used to bother filling in the top bit which tracks the riders' scores through the meeting.

1998 was the season you're referring to - Louis, Svab, Rickardsson, Gollob, Nicholls and Clouting. I've got a mug somewhere with that team on it.

Just out of interest, which form of motorsport do you hear loudest from your house? Speedway or stock cars?
Not that I have much sympathy with anyone who moves near Foxhall and complains about the noise - the stadium has been there for many, many years and was there before virtually all these people moved in to their houses.

I generally notice it more on the Saturday but I'm more likely to be in the garden that night so it's not necessarily louder.

The bedrooms we use are on front of house so don't hear it in bed so it's not too much of an issue for me - agree with point of people moaning

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:48 - Sep 8 with 1924 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 09:43 - Sep 8 by SWGF

Yep, sounds identical to me. Think my middle name was a toss-up between Louis or Tiger!!

We're 25miles away but my old dears used to go religiously. I remember the sound and smell. I had John Louis stickers on my headboard when I was about 5 or 6. Don't reckon they (or I) have been for 35yrs.

Still remember reading the news of Billy Sanders death as a boy. A sad, sad day.
Talk to me about.... Speedway. on 10:09 - Sep 8 with 1889 viewsjontysnut

like a few on here I used to go as a kid in the 70s. I was allowed to go on the bus with mates
waking back through the golf course at night - probably be reported to social services now. We also used to 'customise' our bikes with cowhorn handlebars, no front brake and do speedway skids round a dirt track in woods somewhere off Stone Lodge Lane. Witches are at Sheffield on Sunday which is handy - I might try and get along. Part of a double header meeting - 30 heats for £20
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024