Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? 10:16 - Sep 8 with 4493 viewsBLUEBEAT

Not me.

Poll: W or W

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 10:32 - Sep 8 with 4477 viewsJoeSoap

My Mum used to call them sow-bugs (she was Ipswich born and bred).

I call them 'the little b@stards that eat my cucumbers'.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 10:33 - Sep 8 with 4465 viewsBlue_Order

An American girl I know calls them 'roly poly olies'.

She's a weirdo though obv.
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 10:38 - Sep 8 with 4461 viewsGuthrum

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 10:32 - Sep 8 by JoeSoap

Growing up, I always knew them as sowbugs, too.

And a ladybird was a bishabarnabee.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 14:22 - Sep 8 with 4389 viewsnorth_stand77

No, they are definitely called 'Roly Pigs' in Suffolk. Deffo
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 14:25]
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 14:36 - Sep 8 with 4376 viewsgerard1947

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 10:32 - Sep 8 by JoeSoap

I was born and bred in Sudbury. They were always called sowbugs there.

Do sowbugs eat cucumbers? I thought they eat rotting wood and dead vegetation. Not much touches my cucumbers although slugs seem to like everything else.
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 15:36 - Sep 8 with 4349 viewsJoeSoap

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 14:36 - Sep 8 by gerard1947

I was born and bred in Sudbury. They were always called sowbugs there.

Do sowbugs eat cucumbers? I thought they eat rotting wood and dead vegetation. Not much touches my cucumbers although slugs seem to like everything else.

That's what I wondered, I had always assumed that woodlice liked rotting woody stuff, but something has eaten them, and although the slugs love my beans and courgettes it certainly appears to be the woodlice that swarm all over the cucumbers.

Just checked the RHS website and they say they will sometimes eat into the surface of soft fruit and veg, which is the symptoms my poor old cucumbers were displaying.

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 16:37 - Sep 8 with 4329 viewsgerard1947

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 15:36 - Sep 8 by JoeSoap

That's what I wondered, I had always assumed that woodlice liked rotting woody stuff, but something has eaten them, and although the slugs love my beans and courgettes it certainly appears to be the woodlice that swarm all over the cucumbers.

Just checked the RHS website and they say they will sometimes eat into the surface of soft fruit and veg, which is the symptoms my poor old cucumbers were displaying.

You live and learn, little beggars. This year's been a bad one for slugs, I'm getting those fat orange ones now. They don't touch cucumbers or courgettes, they will have a go at squash before they get the hard skin though. I've grown some jumbo pink banana squash, they had a couple of those before they hardened up. Mind you I don't know what I'm going to with the squash. I've got 30 or 40. They probably weigh 10kg each, that's a lot of soup, roast squash etc.
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 17:29 - Sep 8 with 4302 viewsconnorscontract

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 16:37 - Sep 8 by gerard1947

You live and learn, little beggars. This year's been a bad one for slugs, I'm getting those fat orange ones now. They don't touch cucumbers or courgettes, they will have a go at squash before they get the hard skin though. I've grown some jumbo pink banana squash, they had a couple of those before they hardened up. Mind you I don't know what I'm going to with the squash. I've got 30 or 40. They probably weigh 10kg each, that's a lot of soup, roast squash etc.

There might be a Soup kitchen near you that could use them. Or just go into a local independent greengrocers and see if they'll buy them off you/trade for other stuff. Local cafes or restaurants would be another possibility, particularly vegetarian restaurants.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 17:40]
Login to get fewer ads

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 17:54 - Sep 8 with 4281 viewsJoeSoap

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 16:37 - Sep 8 by gerard1947

Ha Ha, I've just made two tons of marrow soup this afternoon with my overgrown 'courgettes'.
It should see us through the entire winter.

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 18:01 - Sep 8 with 4277 viewsWonky

My grandad's name for them was 'Shiny aliens whose invasion plans have been stymied and seriously set back by underestimating their relative size to the planet and the dominant species'.

Laterly (I'm 47) I've come to believe he was the only one who used this name.
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 20:54 - Sep 8 with 4205 viewsgerard1947

Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 17:29 - Sep 8 by connorscontract

There might be a Soup kitchen near you that could use them. Or just go into a local independent greengrocers and see if they'll buy them off you/trade for other stuff. Local cafes or restaurants would be another possibility, particularly vegetarian restaurants.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 17:40]

Hadn't thought about that. There's one in Cambridge I expect. I grow too much, my veggie plot is over 1/4 acre and I'd rather plant it than let the weeds grow. I give loads away anyway.
Woodlice. Who here calls them Monkey Peas? Or Pishamares? on 08:43 - Sep 9 with 4122 viewsbluelou

My wife thinks it's hilarious that we call wasps "Jaspers" and May Bugs "Billy Witches"
But I call a wood louse a wood louse.

Poll: What will have the greatest positive impact on attendances next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024