Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All a bit disjointed today. 17:23 - Sep 9 with 3008 viewsDarth_Koont

Mainly in midfield where we really didn't link up with the forwards or help the defence much.

But difficult to see how to get the balance right there. On the face of it, it looked a decent 4 with McGoldrick also dropping to collect but didn't seem to click at all today. Maybe we also have to give some credit to QPR for neutralising us so effectively in the middle.

Need to bounce back with a win vs. Bolton — and hopefully a lot more fluidity too.

Pronouns: He/Him

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:25 - Sep 9 with 2980 viewspointofblue

I don't think it's a wonderful thing mastered by QPR to neuter us in the middle - we've struggled there for ages, particularly in first halves of games.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:26 - Sep 9 with 2966 viewsgt81

Mick keeps trying to shoehorn a striker into a wide role in a 4-4-2 and 99% of the time it doesn't work.

As for fluidity, I don't we've seen much of that in Mick's time here.
All a bit disjointed today. on 17:30 - Sep 9 with 2935 viewsDarth_Koont

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:25 - Sep 9 by pointofblue

I don't think it's a wonderful thing mastered by QPR to neuter us in the middle - we've struggled there for ages, particularly in first halves of games.

True but that's often when we haven't had good enough players or enough energy in the middle. Today we did but it never really gave us a foothold in the game.

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:31 - Sep 9 with 2921 viewsDarth_Koont

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:26 - Sep 9 by gt81

Mick keeps trying to shoehorn a striker into a wide role in a 4-4-2 and 99% of the time it doesn't work.

As for fluidity, I don't we've seen much of that in Mick's time here.

We looked a lot better with the ball in August. Nothing came off this week and last.

Edit: But generally agree re: the striker playing wide. If the player doesn't get the ball and/or cause any problems for the opposition with their runs off the ball then it's largely ineffective.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 17:35]

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:32 - Sep 9 with 2910 viewsLuk38644

I would hope that with Adeyemi back and Celina hitting some form, we will go on from here playing players in their natural position if possible, especially in midfield.

Think it's time to go 442 with Celina - Skuse - Adeyemi - Ward. Waghorn isn't a winger just like Sears isn't.
All a bit disjointed today. on 17:35 - Sep 9 with 2891 viewspointofblue

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:30 - Sep 9 by Darth_Koont

True but that's often when we haven't had good enough players or enough energy in the middle. Today we did but it never really gave us a foothold in the game.

I think we really lack balance - perhaps as we're trying to shoehorn too many strikers in the line up, probably becuase we have very little choice due to injuries. Skuse, Downes and Ward seem to work fine in a midfield 3 with five behind them but I think today may have left the middle too exposed. Starting McGoldrick, Garner and Waghorn away from home just resulted in three players trying to do two player's jobs.

I think we should maybe swicth back to 3-5-2 next week, with Iorfa, Spence and Knudsen in the middle and Connolly/Kenlock out wide. Have Skuse, Downes and Ward in the midfield with Celina playing just off... pick one of the three. On paper it sounds more defensive but I actually think it'd give us more balance, possession and creativity in the centre of the park.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:39 - Sep 9 with 2861 viewstextbackup

disjointed is exactly how it sounded. did we really play McG out wide on the right? did Sears really come on ahead of Cellina? (10mins difference I know, but whos to say that 10mins wouldn't have been another goal, or assist, or run into penalty area)
downes coming off? so what if hes got a yellow, even on a yellow making 50% of the tackles hes got something about him to make an "excellent pass/move" as the radio said time and time again.

(obviously wasn't there so I cant really comment on the above!)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:40 - Sep 9 with 2853 viewstextbackup

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:32 - Sep 9 by Luk38644

I would hope that with Adeyemi back and Celina hitting some form, we will go on from here playing players in their natural position if possible, especially in midfield.

Think it's time to go 442 with Celina - Skuse - Adeyemi - Ward. Waghorn isn't a winger just like Sears isn't.

would you really have skuse over downes? or are you putting that as its what we will know will happen?

Login to get fewer ads

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:41 - Sep 9 with 2848 viewsgt81

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:32 - Sep 9 by Luk38644

I'd prefer Celina - Downes - Adeyemi - Rowe

Skuse does a job at certain times but he limits our midfield so much.
All a bit disjointed today. on 17:47 - Sep 9 with 2804 viewsLuk38644

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:40 - Sep 9 by textbackup

would you really have skuse over downes? or are you putting that as its what we will know will happen?

Because he wont drop Skuse.
All a bit disjointed today. on 17:48 - Sep 9 with 2786 viewstextbackup

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:41 - Sep 9 by gt81

I'd prefer Celina - Downes - Adeyemi - Rowe

Skuse does a job at certain times but he limits our midfield so much.

a fresh new approach, would be great to see how we do playing them guys

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:52 - Sep 9 with 2761 viewsGarv

Midfield will be a problem for as long as Skuse stays in it irrespective of how he plays.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:54 - Sep 9 with 2746 viewsbraveblue

One reason our midfield is ineffective - Skuse.
All a bit disjointed today. on 17:56 - Sep 9 with 2731 viewstextbackup

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:54 - Sep 9 by braveblue

One reason our midfield is ineffective - Skuse.

MM has a big problem now, because others have shown they can do skuses role and more....

All a bit disjointed today. on 18:04 - Sep 9 with 2696 viewsgt81

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:56 - Sep 9 by textbackup

MM has a big problem now, because others have shown they can do skuses role and more....

This has hit the nail of the head.

His role in the team is something of an anachronism in the modern game, defensive midfielders are expected to contribute so much more to the team that just holding and breaking up play, they have to retain possession, they need to be able to play box to box, to link play back to front, to have the skill to contribute offensively, Skuse offers none of that, on top of which if we were better on the ball in the middle, we wouldn't need someone to keep breaking up wave after wave of attacks.

There might be times where he can be useful to us in certain games, but we really need to be moving on from relying on him as a regular starter.
All a bit disjointed today. on 18:07 - Sep 9 with 2669 viewsgt81

All a bit disjointed today. on 17:48 - Sep 9 by textbackup

a fresh new approach, would be great to see how we do playing them guys

Fresh, and more importantly, round pegs in round holes.

Rowe may turn out to not be good enough, but we won't know if he doesn't get into the team for a run of games.
All a bit disjointed today. on 18:25 - Sep 9 with 2629 viewschristiand

Just play players in their normal positions, stop shoehorning certain players into the starting XI -

Next week I'd go 4-4-2:

Bart
Connolly, Iorfa, Spence, Knudsen
Celina, Skuse, Adeyemi, Rowe - give him a go he's got something!
McGoldrick and Garner

Starting to believe that Skuse is the weak link in our midfield, could Downes start in his place and play that defensive role? He is definitely one of MM's undropables! This is where we will start to show our true colours. we got lucky in many of the earlier games; took our chances. If we can't beat Bolton at home then we really have problems.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

All a bit disjointed today. on 18:30 - Sep 9 with 2611 viewstextbackup

All a bit disjointed today. on 18:25 - Sep 9 by christiand

Just play players in their normal positions, stop shoehorning certain players into the starting XI -

Next week I'd go 4-4-2:

Bart
Connolly, Iorfa, Spence, Knudsen
Celina, Skuse, Adeyemi, Rowe - give him a go he's got something!
McGoldrick and Garner

Starting to believe that Skuse is the weak link in our midfield, could Downes start in his place and play that defensive role? He is definitely one of MM's undropables! This is where we will start to show our true colours. we got lucky in many of the earlier games; took our chances. If we can't beat Bolton at home then we really have problems.

we've beaten most of the bottom 6 already this season, so Bolton is a team we should be looking to go at. we simply cant sit back or match them up

All a bit disjointed today. on 19:11 - Sep 9 with 2541 viewskpblues

All a bit disjointed today. on 18:04 - Sep 9 by gt81

This has hit the nail of the head.

His role in the team is something of an anachronism in the modern game, defensive midfielders are expected to contribute so much more to the team that just holding and breaking up play, they have to retain possession, they need to be able to play box to box, to link play back to front, to have the skill to contribute offensively, Skuse offers none of that, on top of which if we were better on the ball in the middle, we wouldn't need someone to keep breaking up wave after wave of attacks.

There might be times where he can be useful to us in certain games, but we really need to be moving on from relying on him as a regular starter.

Good piece of analysis.
Skuse came up short yet again today and needs to do more as a modern defensive midfielder if our midfield is going to do some harm this year.
He won't though and Mick will keep playing him.

Even past players in the same position players such as Roger Osborne, Brian Talbot, Frans Thijssen with a similar number of appearance weighed in with some goals.

I bet they also completely outdid Skuse on assists as well since they passed forwards as well as backwards and sideways !!!

On the bright side Celina looked good today and gave some hope ????

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024