Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Earning the right to play 20:01 - Sep 9 with 5312 viewsKeaneish

I was always taught that you have to earn the right to play. Do the dirty, scrappy stuff on and off the ball, win the battles and that gives you the freedom to play football. Mick's sides have always been renowned for this but over recent years its pretty much vanished. The irony now is that we're trying to play football without doing the grunt work and coming unstuck.

When are we ever going to see a Mick Town side boss a midfield from start to finish? Today was disjointed. Last week was lethargic. What's next week? What i can guarantee is that we won't dominate the middle of the park.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Earning the right to play on 20:31 - Sep 9 with 5227 viewschristiand

To be honest, if we don't win next week, at home to Bolton, then we really have got problems.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Earning the right to play on 21:15 - Sep 9 with 5141 views3_5_2

Totally agree.

We are mostly always out passed, over run in midfield and always struggle with anyone who moves the ball quickly.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Earning the right to play on 22:19 - Sep 9 with 5058 viewsVaughan8

A non league team showed us how to pass it around last year. That was embarrassing.

Nothing much has changed since then which is f airily upsetting. MM will never go off his own accord and why should he? And ME won't get rid of him.

We are stuck in this circle until something changes I'm afraid.

However I contradict myself a bit here, but I'm glad we are giving some younger players a chance this season though!
Earning the right to play on 22:38 - Sep 9 with 5028 viewsGiveusaWave

Earning the right to play on 22:19 - Sep 9 by Vaughan8

A non league team showed us how to pass it around last year. That was embarrassing.

Nothing much has changed since then which is f airily upsetting. MM will never go off his own accord and why should he? And ME won't get rid of him.

We are stuck in this circle until something changes I'm afraid.

However I contradict myself a bit here, but I'm glad we are giving some younger players a chance this season though!

Downes has been a good addition but Skuse is nowhere near standard right now.

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

on 22:51 - Sep 9 with 5003 views_

Earning the right to play on 20:31 - Sep 9 by christiand

To be honest, if we don't win next week, at home to Bolton, then we really have got problems.

Earning the right to play on 06:05 - Sep 10 with 4900 viewschristiand

on 22:51 - Sep 9 by _

Not really Libero. When you look at the cold hard facts from the games we have played, we've been very fortunate. Quite a few on here have said QPR are an average Championship side and we've struggled against them and created little. MM needs to play players in their rightful positions, stop accommodating his favourites - it's about time Skuse was dropped. We've got better midfielders sitting on the bench, but they won't get a chance because it will mean his 'favourites' will miss valuable game time. For me MM is beginning to show old habits, die hard.

Make no mistake, the Bolton game is now a big game for us. Another indifferent display against a side at the foot of the table and not won a league game will confirm that results in August was just a blip of the form book. MM needs a coach who understands how to play football and gets the best from the squad. We've got outplayed today by a team that spends less money than us, money isn't the issue. The lack of coaching is. My side would be:

Bart
Connolly, Iorfa, Spence, Knudsen
Celina, Downes, Adeyemi, Rowe
McGoldrick and Garner
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 6:11]

Earning the right to play on 08:01 - Sep 10 with 4843 viewsKeaneish

Earning the right to play on 22:38 - Sep 9 by GiveusaWave

Downes has been a good addition but Skuse is nowhere near standard right now.

How many games has had MM had in charge? 200 + or thereabouts? In all those games can anyone name more than a handful (at best) where we've bossed a game or dominated the middle of the park? I'm struggling. This is the biggest problem under MM and the main stay for all those games is Skuse.

This isn't another Skuse bash, been saying he's not up to it for three seasons now but how, in all this time, has MM not resolved or seen the issues in the middle of the park. Downes is a step in the right direction as are hopefully Huws and Adeyemi as a unit but it could be Christmas before we see them all together and it will likely be too late for MM then.

Earning the right to play on 08:21 - Sep 10 with 4815 viewsmadmouse1959

Earning the right to play on 08:01 - Sep 10 by Keaneish

How many games has had MM had in charge? 200 + or thereabouts? In all those games can anyone name more than a handful (at best) where we've bossed a game or dominated the middle of the park? I'm struggling. This is the biggest problem under MM and the main stay for all those games is Skuse.

This isn't another Skuse bash, been saying he's not up to it for three seasons now but how, in all this time, has MM not resolved or seen the issues in the middle of the park. Downes is a step in the right direction as are hopefully Huws and Adeyemi as a unit but it could be Christmas before we see them all together and it will likely be too late for MM then.

I,m afraid there are three stalwarts from last seasons misery who should be dropped or should of been released !!! McCarthy did not complete the squad re-build job. A good start to the season but the weak links are still holding this team back.

shampoo dave

Login to get fewer ads

Earning the right to play on 08:34 - Sep 10 with 4800 viewstextbackup

We have been pretty naff in midfield his entire time here, never controlled a game from this position, which is a hugely important position on the pitch. Any time we face Norwich their midfield dominates ours, yet it's just not addressed by MM and his team

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

on 08:39 - Sep 10 with 4792 views_

Earning the right to play on 06:05 - Sep 10 by christiand

Not really Libero. When you look at the cold hard facts from the games we have played, we've been very fortunate. Quite a few on here have said QPR are an average Championship side and we've struggled against them and created little. MM needs to play players in their rightful positions, stop accommodating his favourites - it's about time Skuse was dropped. We've got better midfielders sitting on the bench, but they won't get a chance because it will mean his 'favourites' will miss valuable game time. For me MM is beginning to show old habits, die hard.

Make no mistake, the Bolton game is now a big game for us. Another indifferent display against a side at the foot of the table and not won a league game will confirm that results in August was just a blip of the form book. MM needs a coach who understands how to play football and gets the best from the squad. We've got outplayed today by a team that spends less money than us, money isn't the issue. The lack of coaching is. My side would be:

Bart
Connolly, Iorfa, Spence, Knudsen
Celina, Downes, Adeyemi, Rowe
McGoldrick and Garner
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 6:11]

Earning the right to play on 08:41 - Sep 10 with 4786 viewstextbackup

on 08:39 - Sep 10 by _

Our start is literally us beating the teams that will be down there at end of season, if they had been spread out over season they'd have been 'must win games'
I was hoping things were looking up, but he hasn't changed!

on 08:45 - Sep 10 with 4780 views_

Earning the right to play on 08:41 - Sep 10 by textbackup

Our start is literally us beating the teams that will be down there at end of season, if they had been spread out over season they'd have been 'must win games'

Earning the right to play on 08:55 - Sep 10 with 4758 viewstextbackup

on 08:45 - Sep 10 by _

If that's true then why bother playing 46 games? May as well play 23 so they all become important.

We need to beat Bolton for a few reasons,
It's winnable
Got tough games coming up
Lost a couple on the bounce now
Need to ensure points are in the bag early doors because who knows what's round the corner (injuries)

on 09:04 - Sep 10 with 4741 views_

Earning the right to play on 08:55 - Sep 10 by textbackup

If that's true then why bother playing 46 games? May as well play 23 so they all become important.

We need to beat Bolton for a few reasons,
It's winnable
Got tough games coming up
Lost a couple on the bounce now
Need to ensure points are in the bag early doors because who knows what's round the corner (injuries)

Earning the right to play on 09:06 - Sep 10 with 4729 viewstractorboy1978

Earning the right to play on 08:41 - Sep 10 by textbackup

Anyone can beat anyone in this division, you know that. You can't analyse how good the teams we've faced are, you just have to say we've done well to get the points on the board. Take one game at a time. The last couple of games have highlighted a few negatives but I think it is unarguable that at this stage of the season we've had far more positives than negatives. Celina needs to start against Bolton and he should have come on earlier and ahead of Sears yesterday but other than that you can't really argue with the line up yesterday, it was positive.
Earning the right to play on 09:37 - Sep 10 with 4681 viewschristiand

on 08:39 - Sep 10 by _

Well look at this way Libero, we lose next week imagine the fallout from that game? I suspect you won't be as non-plussed if Bolton pull off a victory. All the teams we have beaten are in the bottom half of the table, they are not top teams or even likely to challenge for promotion.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 9:44]

on 09:50 - Sep 10 with 4649 views_

Earning the right to play on 09:37 - Sep 10 by christiand

Well look at this way Libero, we lose next week imagine the fallout from that game? I suspect you won't be as non-plussed if Bolton pull off a victory. All the teams we have beaten are in the bottom half of the table, they are not top teams or even likely to challenge for promotion.

Earning the right to play on 10:09 - Sep 10 with 4621 viewspowinswitch

on 09:50 - Sep 10 by _

Genuinely don't mind losing. Have a massive issue with McCarthy being manager, but personally feel we should allow him until December to see how he is doing this season. If we are in top 10 but continue to play like we did last season, then I would want him gone. I have done for 18 months.

But give him a chance as he has not had a significant number of players due to injury. Let's see how we set up when he has a bigger squad to choose from.
Earning the right to play on 10:13 - Sep 10 with 4617 viewsmonty_radio

on 09:50 - Sep 10 by _

Though some do love an "I told you so" rant (on both sides of the Mick debate), the reason that a game like yesterday finds doubters emerging from their shells once more is obvious. Yes, Bolton is not statistically a "must win" because those stat patterns for the season don't have enough data, but the eye and heart say "Oh dear, I thought change had arrived, but it was a cover up".

The evidence from the pitch is several seasons old. The doleful patterns of caution, poor selection and square pegs ditto. The absence of midfield influence is long-standing. Bolton becomes a "must win" becomes so many other opponents have the edge over such a team as Mick is statistically likely to field.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

on 10:16 - Sep 10 with 4611 views_

Earning the right to play on 10:13 - Sep 10 by monty_radio

Though some do love an "I told you so" rant (on both sides of the Mick debate), the reason that a game like yesterday finds doubters emerging from their shells once more is obvious. Yes, Bolton is not statistically a "must win" because those stat patterns for the season don't have enough data, but the eye and heart say "Oh dear, I thought change had arrived, but it was a cover up".

The evidence from the pitch is several seasons old. The doleful patterns of caution, poor selection and square pegs ditto. The absence of midfield influence is long-standing. Bolton becomes a "must win" becomes so many other opponents have the edge over such a team as Mick is statistically likely to field.

Earning the right to play on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 4558 viewsKeaneish

Earning the right to play on 10:09 - Sep 10 by powinswitch

Genuinely don't mind losing. Have a massive issue with McCarthy being manager, but personally feel we should allow him until December to see how he is doing this season. If we are in top 10 but continue to play like we did last season, then I would want him gone. I have done for 18 months.

But give him a chance as he has not had a significant number of players due to injury. Let's see how we set up when he has a bigger squad to choose from.

I'm finding more and more that there's always an extended reason to give Mick more time though. Hasn't had any money to spend, sold our best striker and never replaced him, transfer money not reinvested, run of bad injuries etc...And while all valid points, when does enough become enough?

I have no sympathy with Mick for this injury problem. He opted to have a reduced squad size, he let experienced centre halves leave, he and the club failed to replace them.

I said I'd give him 10 games this season before I made a call. He's had 8 and despite some positive results and signings, I don't see any difference despite some early signs it may change. Bolton needs to be a comfortable resounding win alarm Newcastle at home. I expect nothing less and neither should anyone else.

Earning the right to play on 12:12 - Sep 10 with 4513 viewstractorboy1978

Earning the right to play on 09:37 - Sep 10 by christiand

Do they not count then as they were against teams CURRENTLY in the bottom half? (after a whole 6 games). There will be better teams than us that go to Oakwell and The Den and don't get 3 points - in fact there already has been with Norwich losing at Millwall and Forest losing at Barnsley.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 12:15]
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:13 - Sep 10 with 4512 viewspowinswitch

Earning the right to play on 10:58 - Sep 10 by Keaneish

I'm finding more and more that there's always an extended reason to give Mick more time though. Hasn't had any money to spend, sold our best striker and never replaced him, transfer money not reinvested, run of bad injuries etc...And while all valid points, when does enough become enough?

I have no sympathy with Mick for this injury problem. He opted to have a reduced squad size, he let experienced centre halves leave, he and the club failed to replace them.

I said I'd give him 10 games this season before I made a call. He's had 8 and despite some positive results and signings, I don't see any difference despite some early signs it may change. Bolton needs to be a comfortable resounding win alarm Newcastle at home. I expect nothing less and neither should anyone else.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024