Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity 10:32 - Sep 13 with 5807 viewsitfcjoe

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/joefairs

Hi all

I am running the London Landmarks Half Marathon at the end of March for the baby charity Tommy's who fund medical research into premature birth, still birth and miscarriages as well as information and support for those who have suffered a pregnancy loss and a premature birth.

Still in the UK 1 in 4 women will lose a baby during pregnancy and I'm sure this will have affected other posters on this board like it has me in the past.

On a personal note, the birth of my little boy has encouraged me to get fit, running along with Man v Fat football has seen me lose over 2 stone this year, and to go from barely being able to run for 2 minutes to completing the Ipswich Twilight 10k race in 57 minutes.

This half marathon is the next step in my personal journey to fitness to keep me working hard and committed over the winter - but I'd like to raise some money for a great cause whilst I am at it.

Thanks for any support - whether financially or just the various DMs I get from posters on here or on other Social Media platforms that really do keep me going.

Joe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 10:42 - Sep 13 with 5772 viewsSteve_M

Nice one Joe, will contribute in a bit.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:02 - Sep 13 with 5750 viewsitfcjoe

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 10:42 - Sep 13 by Steve_M

Nice one Joe, will contribute in a bit.

Thanks Steve

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:05 - Sep 13 with 5751 viewshoppy

Excellent stuff, Joe, and a very worthwhile charity too.

Having gone through the devastating pain of KJ giving birth to our sleeping son and having to scatter his ashes - something I wouldn't wish on anyone having to go through, I'm familiar with Tommy's and found huge support afterwards with how to cope with the grief through them.

Hope you do really well with the run, and the training beforehand.

I will definitely donate nearer the time - unfortunately cash is very tight at the moment, with my new design company still needing to find new work to be able to even pay myself!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:12 - Sep 13 with 5734 viewsitfcjoe

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:05 - Sep 13 by hoppy

Excellent stuff, Joe, and a very worthwhile charity too.

Having gone through the devastating pain of KJ giving birth to our sleeping son and having to scatter his ashes - something I wouldn't wish on anyone having to go through, I'm familiar with Tommy's and found huge support afterwards with how to cope with the grief through them.

Hope you do really well with the run, and the training beforehand.

I will definitely donate nearer the time - unfortunately cash is very tight at the moment, with my new design company still needing to find new work to be able to even pay myself!

Thanks Hoppy, what we went through is nowhere near as bad as that and I wouldn't like to try and compare - but the thing we found hard is that Mrs itfcjoe was just expected to wait for it to pass after a miscarriage, in a client facing role sitting down advising on mortgages whilst knowing that at any point she could begin to pass the remains of the baby. Incredibly difficult to deal with emotionally and she was flat for weeks and months afterwards it all.

A good friend of mine had just been through similar and we are forever indebted to them for helping us with who to speak to and how to push it through to get what we wanted done quickly so we could begin to try and move on.

Hope the business is going well - do you manage websites as I am not finding the time to do ours?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:20 - Sep 13 with 5716 viewsReuser_is_God

Good stuff Joe, will donate at some point.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:38 - Sep 13 with 5701 viewshoppy

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:12 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

Thanks Hoppy, what we went through is nowhere near as bad as that and I wouldn't like to try and compare - but the thing we found hard is that Mrs itfcjoe was just expected to wait for it to pass after a miscarriage, in a client facing role sitting down advising on mortgages whilst knowing that at any point she could begin to pass the remains of the baby. Incredibly difficult to deal with emotionally and she was flat for weeks and months afterwards it all.

A good friend of mine had just been through similar and we are forever indebted to them for helping us with who to speak to and how to push it through to get what we wanted done quickly so we could begin to try and move on.

Hope the business is going well - do you manage websites as I am not finding the time to do ours?

That must've been hard for her, and I would imagine particularly in her role, the possibility of facing pregnant women coming in would've been quite high as well, which must've been tough too.

Likewise, we were grateful to someone mentioning Tommy's to us at the time. I don't know how I personally would've coped without the advice and help etc gained through them, yet alone what KJ went through herself.

Thanks. A month and a half gone, and nothing much yet at all, unfortunately... so been trying to do the facebook/instagram promoting it thing to get the name known, and seeing what other areas I can offer - such as wedding stationery, which I've just produced a new leaflet about and should get from the printers tomorrow, to have at wedding fairs. Hoping that may generate some work before I end up too far into my overdraft!

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:57 - Sep 13 with 5674 viewsEdwardStone

Good luck with the training and the marathon
Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 12:03 - Sep 13 with 5662 viewsitfcjoe

If anyone makes a donation and it isn't obvious from name compared to username who you are, please drop me a PM so i can thank you as I really appreciate it!

Thanks

Joe

Login to get fewer ads

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 12:12 - Sep 13 with 5651 viewsBluebell

My daughter lost a baby at 4 and a half months pregnant so I know exactly what you went through. She and her partner were traumatised and never had proper counselling and I lost a grandson. So many people are affected by it.

A very worthwhile cause and I will donate later when I am on my own computer and can remember my JustGiving password.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2017 12:12]
Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 13:35 - Sep 13 with 5601 viewsstickymockwell

Hi Joe,

You know that I will donate!!!

Brilliant cause

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 13:55 - Sep 13 with 5589 viewsitfcjoe

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 11:57 - Sep 13 by EdwardStone

Good luck with the training and the marathon

Thank you

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 13:56 - Sep 13 with 5590 viewsitfcjoe

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 12:12 - Sep 13 by Bluebell

My daughter lost a baby at 4 and a half months pregnant so I know exactly what you went through. She and her partner were traumatised and never had proper counselling and I lost a grandson. So many people are affected by it.

A very worthwhile cause and I will donate later when I am on my own computer and can remember my JustGiving password.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2017 12:12]

Thanks Bluebell, it's a difficult time with limited support - and affects the lady much more I think because they have to go through it physically and emotionally. I hope your daughter and he husband were able to move on from it in time

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 14:03 - Sep 13 with 5580 viewsitfcjoe

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 13:35 - Sep 13 by stickymockwell

Hi Joe,

You know that I will donate!!!

Brilliant cause

Cheers Sticky, I remember talking about this with you at the time, it's not much fun but thankfully for us things have worked out better 2nd time around.

How is Sticky Jr getting on?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 15:30 - Sep 13 with 5547 viewsstickymockwell

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 14:03 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

Cheers Sticky, I remember talking about this with you at the time, it's not much fun but thankfully for us things have worked out better 2nd time around.

How is Sticky Jr getting on?

Amazing!!!
He's going to be crawling soon. I'm baby proofing my gaff this weekend. How's yours?

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 18:45 - Sep 14 with 5394 viewsstickymockwell

Hi Joe,

Just donated and read your story. I must admit it has brought back a few emotions, I just wish I could donate more to your amazing effort.
It was just me my wife and my Daughter at home when it happened to us. I just remember having to hug my wife on the toilet whilst my traumatised daughter was wondering what was going on. And what do you do? When you think its all over you look in down the bowl and you cant even bring yourself to flush it. She was miscarrying for over a day. We even had to go to the hospital to have a scan (I have no idea why we did it).
But like yourself we've had a happy ending, but I will forever wonder what would have been.
All the best to you and others who have been through the same.
Stickers

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 19:03 - Sep 14 with 5384 viewshoppy

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 18:45 - Sep 14 by stickymockwell

Hi Joe,

Just donated and read your story. I must admit it has brought back a few emotions, I just wish I could donate more to your amazing effort.
It was just me my wife and my Daughter at home when it happened to us. I just remember having to hug my wife on the toilet whilst my traumatised daughter was wondering what was going on. And what do you do? When you think its all over you look in down the bowl and you cant even bring yourself to flush it. She was miscarrying for over a day. We even had to go to the hospital to have a scan (I have no idea why we did it).
But like yourself we've had a happy ending, but I will forever wonder what would have been.
All the best to you and others who have been through the same.
Stickers

That sounds horrendous. Glad you had a happy ending, though you never forget and like yourself, often thoughts turn to wondering what would have been.

Brilliant what Joe is doing here.

Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 17:45 - Sep 15 with 5283 viewsVaughan8

Great cause. Donation done. Keep us posted with how you get on!
Charity request - Tommy's, the baby charity on 16:18 - Sep 19 with 5027 viewsstevec7

Hi Joe,
Just donated, good luck hope it all goes well for a great cause.
Steve C
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024