Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton 10:51 - Sep 17 with 9401 viewsHarryfromBath

Suffolk. Don’t ever take this place for granted. For those of us living miles away from here there is nowhere quite like it on the planet and trips to the Mother Ship are treasured pilgrimages. When MrsHfromB suggested a weekend of football and exploring the coast earlier this summer, the fixture list was on the kitchen table and options being considered quicker than you could say ‘Park Life’.

You know the feeling heading here. Driving up the A12 and you catch a first glimpse of Ipswich on a road sign after several hours behind the wheel. Then you see the signs for Bentley, Capel St Mary, and Copdock, and the deep red-brick houses and black slatted timbers start to appear. It isn’t home, but it sure as hell feels like it.

So here we are in a superb self-catering house in Wickham Market (and not the West Wickham I have been telling everyone and which is near Croydon) enjoying probably more Ghost Ship than I should be drinking and looking back on what was a great day at the football. This county — or maybe it’s just the beer — knocks the sharp edges off you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a definite sharp edge of Autumn in the air heading down the hill to the pre-match pub and on to the ground. I always aim for decent seats in the Co-op but must confess that I didn’t feel old sitting among the regulars. It is not to judge in any way, but there would have been no shortage of Robson and Cobbold stories had I asked around.

The team was predictable once we knew that Knudsen was injured. Chambers flanked by Iorfa and Spence with a midfield of Skuse and Adeyemi behind Ward. Connolly and Kenlock wide and Joey and McGoldrick up front. Bolton started with three giants at the back in Mark Beevers, David Wheater and Reece Burke. Gary Madine was leading their line and linking with Filipe Morais and Craig Noone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The early exchanges revealed little. Bolton were playing a high defensive line on the basis that we lacked pace. They aimed for Madine most of the time with Noone in particular being industrious in trying to feed off his knock-downs. The first notable moment came from a Trotters’ freekick after Morais was hurt in the ‘North Stand’ area. It’s funny how people always smirk when this happens.

Myles Kenlock was our most noticeable attacking threat in the first half. He announced himself with a thunderous early tackle which drew wide applause and made several threatening runs directly into the Bolton penalty area. There were a couple of ponderous ball-watching moments later on but we saw the composed high-energy Myles today and he was not afraid to take the game to the Trotters.

As the half emerged, Craig Noone’s clever movement and running were proving more problematic than Gary Madine’s efforts leading the line. Noone only arrived two weeks ago and he represents Bolton’s best chance of engineering a recovery this season. He elevated their play and brought their midfielders and wide players more into the game, forcing us on to the back foot throughout the half.

Skuse was my man-of-the-match yesterday and not just for his goal. He was directing operations in the middle, having a sharp word with young Connolly early on for not reacting more quickly to one pass, but his ability to read the danger sooner than anyone was visible when he gave himself a two-second start on Madine to fillet the ball away from the striker after Wheater had put him through on goal.

Bolton were very adept at finding players in small pockets of dangerous space, not least when Madine found himself free to have a crack on goal which Bart clawed away. The next notable moment was when Dominic Iorfa had a late header just before the interval from a corner kick which could barely be classified as a chance. It was a fleeting excitement in what was a prosaic first half.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The muted response to the half-time whistle summed up a lacklustre reaction to a lacklustre display. Bolton had marginally more of the play but lack the incisiveness of fluidity to capitalise on this. We were being dragged down to their level. It felt like we had another gear in us, but the game could go the way of Rotherham away last season if we didn’t find it. Something needed to be changed.

One obvious alteration was the removal of Callum Connolly. Bolton were a physical side and were starting to target him as the half wore on, including one sly challenge from Antonee Robinson by the touchline just before the interval. Connolly played well and by all means gave as good as he got. He is a technically composed player but he is not quite yet on the same wavelength as his colleagues.

It was also obvious that our attacking balance was flat and the game was crying out for Celina to step on to the stage. His introduction made obvious sense, as did switching away from a back three which was mirroring Bolton’s shape too closely. Skuse and Adeyemi were handling Bolton’s midfield, and Ward would find more space to drive at Bolton on the right with Celina asking questions on the left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after the interval the miracle happened. Celina worked the ball well out on the left and fed McGoldrick, who with little else on, laid the ball back to Skuse. The Bristolian had spurned a chance to have a crack on goal in the first half. Not this time. He let fly, it took a deflection and thundered past Ben Alnwick and into the goal. Skuse wheeled away to embrace the North Stand’s adulation.

There’s something amusing about defensive midfielders scoring goals. They are always memorable. Centre-halves generally nod the ball home from corners but the 30-yard piledriver is the speciality of the midfield incontrista. Every time Toumani Diagouraga would bear down on goal at Griffin Park, Brentford fans would become hysterical as a moment of destiny suddenly beckoned out of nowhere.

Bolton were stung by this and came straight back at us, with the otherwise ineffective Jem Karacan forcing a save from Bart. They then took advantage of careless passes by Celina and Iorfa to keep us pinned back. One small thing I would ask Mick about is his habit of not stationing an out-man on half-way when defending set-pieces as it allows opponents to maintain momentum and pressure.

Bolton had two serious chances to level around the hour mark, one of which was blocked heroically by Jordan Spence with two Trotters free with the ball and the goal gaping. Spence was involved in a terrific battle all game with Madine and never let the former Owl get the better of him. Madine grew increasingly frustrated and peripheral as the game progressed and ended up being taken off.

Shortly after Spence’s block, Madine was put through on goal but his poor lob over both Bart and the Town goal summed up his contribution and said volumes about Bolton’s attacking threat. Their impotence in front of goal could end up condemning them, but it could equally be argued that there are many teams in this division who would have buried the chances we gifted to them in this spell.

Bolton by now were committing more men forward, but having Celina on the field meant that we had a counter-threat. He was direct, running and slaloming straight at the Bolton back-line and he was taken out on two occasions. He was also a terrific foil for Garner and McGoldrick, giving them space to try out their ideas. He can be casual on the ball but he can also get more from our strikers.

At one point in the second half, Celina cut inside after a corner had been played back out to him and he let fly one rasping shot which Alnwick did well to parry away. With more space to exploit, Tom Adeyemi also played more of an attacking role after the break and his characteristic lung-bursting runs through traffic are something with which we will become accustomed as the season progresses.

Grant Ward’s alertness before the break was eye-catching and he was all around central midfield both breaking up dangerous Bolton combinations while also spying for opportunities to release McGoldrick in particular. I felt that he and Iorfa were a solid attacking platform on the right flank after the break and they kept Antonee Robinson quiet despite Iorfa’s occasional momentary lapse.

“The ref has no idea what he is doing.” Mentioning refereeing in Bolton games at Portman Road is dangerous territory but Andrew Madley had an odd game. He generally got the big calls right — and there weren’t too many of these — but 50/50’s and typical Championship challenges would often see us penalised. MrsHfromB picked up on it after the break and she is much more objective than me.

One person who kept the referee busy was Joe Garner. I enjoyed his sideshow immensely and he was in his element in the later stages of the game, being the arch-disruptor and worming his way inside Bolton players’ heads. He is fearless and won his fair share of headers against the three titans in the visitors’ back-line. Few chances fell to him yesterday but he is such an effective operator.

The contrast between Garner and McGoldrick's playing style is obvious but there is a bond of trust developing between the pair, something which could be seen by their exchange when McGoldrick was substituted. Mrs HfromB wondered if Garner is a more natural partner for McGoldrick as Didzy was more in Murphy’s shadow. Garner actively tries to complement his strike-partner’s strengths.

On which note, McGoldrick’s strengths were evident all afternoon. With more space to exploit after the break, he was like a safe-cracker with a set of keys and the Bolton defence were never quite sure which one he would use next. Clever flicks, deft back-heels and lay-offs and intelligent passes helped keep moves flowing and his tenacious side was also evident as he burst through robust challenges.

It was his tenacity which earned him his late and game-killing goal. Garner’s disruptive work drew the Bolton cover and the former Preston man clipped the ball to McGoldrick who engineered the space to arrow the ball past Alnwick and into the top corner. It was fitting that these two combined for the second goal as they are on the same wavelength and this relationship will surely blossom.

As the game petered out, Bolton were in the market for a consolation goal to break their three-game drought. When Mr Madley gave yet another Trotters’ freekick for another 50/50 tackle, Craig Noone spooned the set-piece high into the Sir Alf. He was their best player but this effort summed up their problem. The final whistle was warmly greeted, with the result reflecting the balance of play.

The sun came out as the players shook-hands and departed, but there was still time for Chambers to arrow in towards the North Stand and treat everyone to his fist-pump. All good fun, but it was great watching him then scampering back to the tunnel like an eight-year-old who had just been given his perfect Christmas present. Chambers is a winner and his influence at the back yesterday was pivotal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heading back up to the car, an autumnal edge crept into the evening and we finally had one of the showers which had threatened all afternoon. It had been a workaday three points in a game which was often mundane, but seeing Burton beat Fulham and Millwall turn Leeds over brought home that there truly are no easy games at this level. Bolton will click and hurt teams as the season progresses.

In this context, with teams in this division knocking lumps out of each other, we are in the world of accumulating points and keeping in touch. Like many on here I just want to see us safe, but have opened a little play-off bank account in my head. Fifteen points in September is a terrific foundation and yesterday’s points are worth the same as any we might or might not get at Leeds next week.

Right then, off to Aldeburgh, Orford and a walk along the beach today. Bath is a beautiful City but you have no idea how much I envy people living here. The running joke at home involves me playing Benjamin Britten’s ‘Four Sea Interludes’ from Peter Grimes and the inevitable voice from the room adjacent saying ‘We’re not moving to Suffolk!’ We can dream, and maybe start to dream a little about this season too.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 8:33]

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 11:07 - Sep 17 with 8399 viewsJ2BLUE

Superb read Harry, cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 11:51 - Sep 17 with 8220 viewsfactual_blue

Have you thought about applying for Phil's job?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 11:53 - Sep 17 with 8213 viewsArcher4721

Oh delightful Harry.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 11:57 - Sep 17 with 8202 viewsEdwardStone

Nice one Harry, thank you
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 12:05 - Sep 17 with 8180 viewsChateauWines

Harry,
You made me smile reading that.
Thank you

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 12:06 - Sep 17 with 8180 viewsolimar

A really good read. Thoughts and reflections on this-
Corner out-ball: It was one of my frustrations at Millwall, when we were pinned back so heavily in the last 30 mins, that MM just doesnt seem to want anything to detract from our defending. This may be down to personnel of course, but I always feel that a quick forward standing on the halfway line offers a suitable opportunity for someone to chase down one of those long clearances and spring a goal. Sears would logically be that player, if hes on the pitch, and when we are defending a lead I think he could do that job. Im instinctively reminded of that late winner at Watford....
That said, provided Celina loses his bad habit of passing the ball straight to danger, if we use him as an out-ball when defending, he looks capable of carrying the ball all the way up the field on his own.

Spence: He continues to grow and grow. To the point where hes starting to look like a bona-fide Centre Back option now. Its hard to see him returning to fullback now and its equally hard to see him being dropped.

Adeyemi: We have been crying out for a box-to-box midfielder for years. In Micks early years here we only seemed to have defensive midfielders available, whilst his latter years seem to have been a reaction to that, bringing in a succession of players whos work is all carried out at the other end of the pitch. I think he could make such a difference in transitioning us from defence to attack, giving us a spare man at either end of the pitch when needed.

Garner/McGoldrick: Whilst I can certainly see what you refer to in terms of their relationship together, I do wonder that independently they dont offer enough. McGoldrick was a perfect summary of his current status yesterday. His touch and control effortless, drifting past players at ease, always available for the ball. But, until that last minute goal, his actual end product is way below what it should be. Fulham, QPR and yesterday have all been notable for the strong opportunities hes worked himself into, before blazing way over the bar or tamely shooting at the keeper. There is something lacking in his confidence/composure when he gets that opening. The chance yesterday when he drifted beautifully inside two Bolton players to open up a great opportunity, only to smash it wildly over, is a great microcosm of where he is now. There are signs that hes finding his old self, 4 goals is a decent return of course and his Millwall assist was outstanding, but I think we have to go back to 13/14 before he got injured to see where he can get to, in terms of finishing/end product.
On Garner, hes a combustible presence and that in itself is a contribution to the team effort, drawing defenders, riling them, breaking down the resistance etc. But he doesnt really get in possession of the ball all that much and a great deal of his work is centred around his aerial threat. That threat is heavily dependent on his ability to time his run properly- when he does, hes very effective, when he doesnt, or when hes got a standing start, then he is much less so. I wonder that we are using him as an aerial threat simply because hes the only real option we have for that sort of role. Hes not going to get 20+ goals for us, his record shows that too, but he is a good finisher, as we saw against Birmingham, and its noticeable how little opportunity he gets in the opposition box. From the top of my head, Id hazard a guess that his only effort on goal inside the box this season was that goal v Birmingham.

Chambers: Totally agree, hes the glue for the entire club, not just on the pitch as he reminded yesterday, but also off it. As much as the football was dreadful last year, Id imagine that off-pitch team spirit that he helps foster was completely undermined by the way the club handled his contract. If the players didnt think he was wanted, and he didnt think so either, how can they buy into that team spirit? The same way that a manager on borrowed time with the board loses any impact on their dressing room...

Bolton: They are having a tough season, but there are a lot of poor sides in this division and, based on yesterday, they should be able to match enough of them to stand a chance of picking up the wins they will need. Based on your pre-match report, Id expected to see a side woefully short of quality for this level, but that definitely wasnt reflected. They do need to put a chance away though to give them the belief. The reaction of their players when they did that "to me, to you" routine and failed to get a shot on target, before Spence ultimately blocked it, seemed to be one of "are we EVER going to score?"

I think we look in decent enough shape and with players returning from injury, our options will help us too. But it doesnt yet feel particularly coherent and if we are saying the same in another month, then I think optimism might start to wane, as will results.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 12:12 - Sep 17 with 8157 viewsMullet

Cycling and Ghost Ship...... we live in modern times.

Cheers HfB.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 12:37 - Sep 17 with 8078 viewsRyorry

That is beautiful, beautiful writing Harry, both the football and the non-football elements. There would certainly be professional spaces in that capacity out there somewhere for you, if you chose to take them up.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 12:43 - Sep 17 with 8051 viewsgood_at_COD

Enjoyable read H - as always. The teacher in me must point out, however, that it should have been complement and not compliment re the Garner-McGoldrick partnership.

Giggsy

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:07 - Sep 17 with 7984 viewsSwn98

Brilliant read Harry all contributors to the news site should be made to read your reports before they post.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:25 - Sep 17 with 7954 viewsunstableblue

Great read.

If you're still looking for Suffolk Coast spots, Shingle Street and the Ramsholt Inn are well worth a visit.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:33 - Sep 17 with 7902 viewsFreddies_Ears

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:07 - Sep 17 by Swn98

Brilliant read Harry all contributors to the news site should be made to read your reports before they post.

Superb piece yet again from HfB. Balanced for sure, conveying so well the nature of the match and the result.

With so many fears about being "bottom 6" , having 15pts from 7 games is an absolutely superb start. I don't care about the perceived quality of the opposition - we have the ability to stop other teams from playing, and this season have the strikers to take advantage.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:43 - Sep 17 with 7878 viewsbgexile

An extremely well-written, balanced and thoughtful piece Harry. Many thanks.
I agree with one of the comments below which said that your writing should be compulsory reading before anyone submits anything on here. I'm so bored with reading all the rabid moaning and groaning from far too may so-called supporters. Following ITFC has never been that easy but you encapsulated a real supporters inherent love of the club. I've been exiled abroad for many years now but every time I see a match on TV it tugs at the old heartstrings just to see the ground and how things have changed. It takes me back to my time standing on a box in the North Stand with my trusty rattle and rosette.
Please keep up the excellent work Harry; it is very much appreciated.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 14:02 - Sep 17 with 7794 viewsN2_Blue

A great read Harry, thank you. Not only so well written but I pretty much agree with you on all the points you make. It also particularly irks me as to why we never have an outlet hovering near halfway when defending a set piece.

Great to meet you briefly yesterday and put a face to the name. I hope you and Mrs HfB have a splendid weekend enjoying the charms of Suffolk.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 14:29 - Sep 17 with 7703 viewsBinner

Excellent report, Harry. "Noone in particular" made me smile.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 14:42 - Sep 17 with 7659 viewshorsehollerer

A wonderful read, and another masterclass in "How to find joy from following Ipswich Town"

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 15:43 - Sep 17 with 7511 viewsrayman_10

Is Madine a former blade? I always thought he was an Owl!

Great read though. Hope you enjoyed your weekend in Suffolk!

COYB

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 16:54 - Sep 17 with 7393 viewsWeWereZombies

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:25 - Sep 17 by unstableblue

Great read.

If you're still looking for Suffolk Coast spots, Shingle Street and the Ramsholt Inn are well worth a visit.

I think the first of those is where Harry experienced the sudden shower:

just in case Harry needs a break from 'Peter Grimes'...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 17:52 - Sep 17 with 7260 viewstiptreeblue

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 13:25 - Sep 17 by unstableblue

Great read.

Do you mean the Ramsholt Arms, i was there last week and had a very enjoyable lunch with the missus
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 19:38 - Sep 17 with 7086 viewsPhilTWTD

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 17:52 - Sep 17 by tiptreeblue

Do you mean the Ramsholt Arms, i was there last week and had a very enjoyable lunch with the missus

I'm sure he does, and I've joined Harry there during a couple of his previous Suffolk visits.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 20:07 - Sep 17 with 7014 viewsDerryfromBury

Couldn't have put it better, wouldn't even try. A well balanced synopsis of yesterdays game.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 21:45 - Sep 17 with 6888 viewsHarryfromBath

Thank you - and I mean thank you - for your kind comments which have made my day and been a terrific finale to a great weekend.

Back at Wickham Market now. Aldeburgh was wonderful and there was an almighty downpour at Orford, just as we arrived at the Castle and mercifully not during our earlier exposed walk along the coastal path. WWZ, that comment about the cloudburst was eerily accurate of you!

Unstableblue, I know Ramsholt from meeting Phil there and it would have been the next port of call had we had more time. Like so many parts of Coastal Suffolk, it is set away perfectly from the world and is quite idyllic when you are there on a sunny day.

Thank you Rayman10, Madine is a former Owl and I have adjusted the text accordingly! I keep a notebook full of opposing players' ages, positions and former clubs, and I refer to these when piecing the notes together. I did a first draft of the report last night and muddled up my Sheffields.

Please allow my giving a shout-out to the Unruly Pig restaurant just outside Melton/Woodbridge where we pulled in on spec and had a great supper this evening. It was a serendipitous choice and complemented (apologies for earlier, good at COD!) the weekend perfectly.

Off to the West Country in the morning but it won't be nearly so long before I am back 'home' in Suffolk again.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 21:45 - Sep 17 with 6878 viewshoppy

A great read, Harry - very well put.

I did like this bit, although never had you down as someone that recognises someone being busy...

'One person who kept the referee busy was Joe Garner. I enjoyed his sideshow immensely..."

Great to see you prior to the game, albeit far too briefly, and also to meet MrsHfromB too, of course.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of the weekend more than you perhaps would've done in Croydon.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2017 21:47]

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 08:32 - Sep 18 with 6624 viewsBluebell

A great read Harry and I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend in Suffolk. How you remember all that about the game amazes me. All I know is we won 2.0.

We spent the weekend in Suffolk too and were also in Orford yesterday. As I don't know what you look like we probably passed you while we were there.

The coffee and cakes in the tearoom on the quay are to die for and we always have to go in there after our walk. I am not sure the newly baked scones with clotted cream and jam are particularly healthy but I can't resist them.
Home from Home - Reflections of Yesterday’s Win Over Bolton on 09:18 - Sep 18 with 6581 viewshype313

Great read Harry, glad you had a great time, my mother lives in Wickham Market, lovely little place.

I have family in Bath, and it's the one place where watching sport at the Rec is one of they very few pleasures compared with the out of town souless bowls. That's if you like Rugby of course!

Bath is a fantastic place, and probably the only place I would move from Suffolk too, however the west country is far too wet for my liking!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024