Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick can't really win can he.... 13:07 - Sep 19 with 31684 viewsitfcjoe

Injury list as long as his arm which he doesn't moan about like some managers would

Small budget which he ekes everything possible out of

Kids getting chances

5th in the table with a game in hand that could see us go top if we won it

5th highest scorers in the league

But some people are still moaning about anything possible - poor football, low possession, some rubbish expected goals statistics, attendances being low.

Maybe suck up your pride, realise that Mick is a very good manager at this level and perfect for the strategy Evans is implementing admit that you were wrong and get behind the team? Or is it more important to be right?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:09 - Sep 19 with 10941 viewshomer_123

I can't believe you turned that into a political post by ending on that sentence Joe...poor form there.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:14 - Sep 19 with 10907 viewsMattinLondon

Admit you're wrong.
No I'm right. You're wrong.
No I'm right. Why can't you admit you're wrong?
Why can't you admit that you're wrong.
Bacause I'm right.
No you're not
Yes I'm am.
No.
Yes
No
Yes.
Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:17 - Sep 19 with 10898 viewstextbackup

He's been funded in the summer, so currently that can't be used.

Say what you like, the football that first half was [terrible], set up not to lose against the team bottom.

This post has been edited by an administrator

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Looking forward to the responses to this. (n/t) on 13:19 - Sep 19 with 10873 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:22 - Sep 19 with 10863 viewsLankHenners

This place has become quite loony recently - people desperately trying to find any negative they can and dismissing any positive news, whilst almost hoping it all goes wrong so they can, indeed, as you say, be 'proved right'.

Makes it all the more difficult (and pointless) to have a sensible discussion on genuine issues as people fly off the handle and start taking things to extremes and making things up, whilst calling anyone who points out that they're being a bit silly a 'MM lover' or whatever.

I think it was J2 in another thread bringing up the point that the people saying 'ignore the table' and bleating out all these stats, are exactly the same people who say 'the table doesn't lie' when we're not in a great position.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:24 - Sep 19 with 10857 viewsitfcjoe

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:17 - Sep 19 by textbackup

Say what you like, the football that first half was [terrible], set up not to lose against the team bottom.

But how much was the funding in reality? Garner and Waghorn cost less than a million quid between them, I've heard from a very good source that Huws was £250k and then who else?

As always, the accounts will tell the story - but I was away this weekend and watched Bristol City v Derby as was on a stag do. I watched the first half anyway but it was pretty rubbish so watched the 2nd half on the TVs in the bar - it finished 4-1 to bristol but they weren't very good - there was about 2 shots on goal in the first half one of which was a penalty. And those sides have spend 10's of £m betwen them

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:30 - Sep 19 with 10808 viewsArcher4721

Do you have to talk so much sense Joe.

It must so irritating for some on here.
Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:39 - Sep 19 with 10780 viewsSomethingBlue

Good post. This board has reached new levels of hysteria recently, which is really really weird given the last few weeks, and one's suspicions about certain people become confirmed very quickly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:45 - Sep 19 with 10756 viewshomer_123

I wouldn't disagree with you Texters but the significant difference between Saturday and last season - is that last year we'd have drawn or lost that game. We won, playing pretty awful.

I've seen enough over the these first few matches to suggest that we are trying to play a bit more football - we're not going to suddenly turn into the most attractive team in this division but we've seen some decent football this season.

I've not got an issue with grinding out results sometimes and also the fact that, at times, we won't be allowed to play a more expansive passing game. As long as we mix it up a bit and at least make an effort to play.

I'll be honest, I thought the starting eleven was about right to be honest. However, Mick was also right to change it up at half time....which he did. Many around me were saying he'd leave it to his usual 70 min mark to make a change.....he didn't.

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:51 - Sep 19 with 10730 viewsBluefish

I am trying not to bite and just turned twitter off but it is amazing how all of a sudden attendances are so important. Yes I know it was our lowest and I know we haven't sold many for Leeds but these attendances have been dropping for years and it is to be expected after 16 years in the same league. Modern football fans are flakey and premier league obsessed.

Year before last all of a sudden people are obsessed with youth players then last year it is alll about spending transfer fees

There is always something

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:55 - Sep 19 with 10717 viewsKieran_Knows

I said when the line up was announced for the Birmingham game (and the moaning that went with it), that Mick didn't have a chance this season. I feel for the bloke, because I honestly feel that he could take us up and yet still people would moan that we only had 43% possession in the play off final.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 23:01]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:01 - Sep 19 with 10676 viewsitfcjoe

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:51 - Sep 19 by Bluefish

I am trying not to bite and just turned twitter off but it is amazing how all of a sudden attendances are so important. Yes I know it was our lowest and I know we haven't sold many for Leeds but these attendances have been dropping for years and it is to be expected after 16 years in the same league. Modern football fans are flakey and premier league obsessed.

Year before last all of a sudden people are obsessed with youth players then last year it is alll about spending transfer fees

There is always something

We've got 2,000 less season ticket holders, of course attendances are going to be lower this year - but Mick is right that the only way people will come back is results on the pitch.

If we are top 6 at Xmas we will sell more half season tickets than if we are 12th but playing this oft-quoted 'better football'

The 'better football' argument is just so intangible, and it relies on the fact that it seems very few other fans watch any Championship football to see that it is an unattractive attritional league - there aren't teams playing this great football week in-week out.

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:25 - Sep 19 with 10613 viewsITFC_Forever

Precious little evidence of all things that made 2014-15 exciting - no tempo, no pace and very little attacking intent.

One extreme is ultra-cautiousness, and the other is all out attack. No-one wants either of these things, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

You've said often enough we seem play with the handbrake on too much - it's not so much slightly on, but rammed on, with clamps around the wheels and the accelerator pedal removed from the car.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:26 - Sep 19 with 10609 viewshorsehollerer

Mick can't really win can he.... on 13:45 - Sep 19 by homer_123

I wouldn't disagree with you Texters but the significant difference between Saturday and last season - is that last year we'd have drawn or lost that game. We won, playing pretty awful.

I've seen enough over the these first few matches to suggest that we are trying to play a bit more football - we're not going to suddenly turn into the most attractive team in this division but we've seen some decent football this season.

I've not got an issue with grinding out results sometimes and also the fact that, at times, we won't be allowed to play a more expansive passing game. As long as we mix it up a bit and at least make an effort to play.

I'll be honest, I thought the starting eleven was about right to be honest. However, Mick was also right to change it up at half time....which he did. Many around me were saying he'd leave it to his usual 70 min mark to make a change.....he didn't.

After our game on Saturday I watched Spurs v Swansea. Despite all the talent in their side, Spurs created little more than we did in the first half, and it was just as tedious to watch as our first half. And unlike Spurs, we eventually found a way to win while playing poorly. The point being that there are bad games and under par performances at every level. It's tough to win these types of games. I'll take the three points every time, regardless of how ugly it might be.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:40 - Sep 19 with 10549 viewsSW6Tractor

...but we won 2-0?

Are you not happy?
Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:46 - Sep 19 with 10538 viewsitfcjoe

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:25 - Sep 19 by ITFC_Forever

Precious little evidence of all things that made 2014-15 exciting - no tempo, no pace and very little attacking intent.

One extreme is ultra-cautiousness, and the other is all out attack. No-one wants either of these things, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

You've said often enough we seem play with the handbrake on too much - it's not so much slightly on, but rammed on, with clamps around the wheels and the accelerator pedal removed from the car.

I wasn't there on Saturday, but we got a relatively comfortable win against a side we were expected to beat after a dreadfully dull first half.

Whatever happened in that game had we not got 3 points we'd have been crucified by some of the fanbase - we got the win and we didn't win right......that's fair enough if we are in mid table and going nowhere and showing nothing, but it was to put us back in the top 6 with a game in hand.

We are missing a lot of important players, and some real good ball players and staying up the top of the table - and the games are better than last year on the whole.

Against the division's whipping boys last year we drew 2-2 with a last minute goal despite trying to play some better stuff that day - no-one focussed on the more positive football

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:50 - Sep 19 with 10518 viewshomer_123

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:40 - Sep 19 by SW6Tractor

...but we won 2-0?

Are you not happy?

He can happy with the 3 points but wish he'd seen a better match. I think you'll find no one on here would disagree with that viewpoint either.

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:59 - Sep 19 with 10500 viewsIllinoisblue

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:25 - Sep 19 by ITFC_Forever

suppose we'd been playing like Fulham - free-flowing football and lovely crisp passing - and had their record of 2 wins from 8 and just lost to Burton. Would you be happier? This board would be in meltdown.

I know that's one extreme to the other and we all want that magic formula of attractive football AND wins... but I just don't see that happening at Portman Rd or anywhere else in the Championship. It's a filthy dirty league where 15 once-big clubs are all trying to clamber out the division and on to the money train.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 15:00]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:02 - Sep 19 with 10479 viewsbluewein

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:59 - Sep 19 by Illinoisblue

suppose we'd been playing like Fulham - free-flowing football and lovely crisp passing - and had their record of 2 wins from 8 and just lost to Burton. Would you be happier? This board would be in meltdown.

I know that's one extreme to the other and we all want that magic formula of attractive football AND wins... but I just don't see that happening at Portman Rd or anywhere else in the Championship. It's a filthy dirty league where 15 once-big clubs are all trying to clamber out the division and on to the money train.

Yeah, this basically.

Anyone who claims they'd be happy with that situation is a either liar, or as Joe says, desperate to be right.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:05 - Sep 19 with 10462 viewshomer_123

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:46 - Sep 19 by itfcjoe

I wasn't there on Saturday, but we got a relatively comfortable win against a side we were expected to beat after a dreadfully dull first half.

Whatever happened in that game had we not got 3 points we'd have been crucified by some of the fanbase - we got the win and we didn't win right......that's fair enough if we are in mid table and going nowhere and showing nothing, but it was to put us back in the top 6 with a game in hand.

We are missing a lot of important players, and some real good ball players and staying up the top of the table - and the games are better than last year on the whole.

Against the division's whipping boys last year we drew 2-2 with a last minute goal despite trying to play some better stuff that day - no-one focussed on the more positive football

As I've stated on here, last season we'd have drawn or lost that game Saturday.

I looked at that line up before the game and thought it was a decent starting 11. It didn't work though - one other major difference is the change came at half time with Celina being introduced.

So, compared to last year

1. We won
2. Changes made much earlier than Micks normal 70 min mark
3. Genuine options from the bench

I'm not shying away from a turgid first half though. But we won. We also won playing the polar opposite at Milwall (albeit due to enforced changes) - I'm not sure that would have happened last year either.

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:07 - Sep 19 with 10451 viewshomer_123

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:26 - Sep 19 by horsehollerer

After our game on Saturday I watched Spurs v Swansea. Despite all the talent in their side, Spurs created little more than we did in the first half, and it was just as tedious to watch as our first half. And unlike Spurs, we eventually found a way to win while playing poorly. The point being that there are bad games and under par performances at every level. It's tough to win these types of games. I'll take the three points every time, regardless of how ugly it might be.

I'll take your word as I didn't watch the Spurs match.

Klopp at Pool is an interesting one isn't it - fans extremely unhappy at the moment...

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:12 - Sep 19 with 10428 viewsSuperfrans

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:01 - Sep 19 by itfcjoe

We've got 2,000 less season ticket holders, of course attendances are going to be lower this year - but Mick is right that the only way people will come back is results on the pitch.

If we are top 6 at Xmas we will sell more half season tickets than if we are 12th but playing this oft-quoted 'better football'

The 'better football' argument is just so intangible, and it relies on the fact that it seems very few other fans watch any Championship football to see that it is an unattractive attritional league - there aren't teams playing this great football week in-week out.

Season tickets in the "high 10,000s" according to Phil's report the other day. So that's just under 11,000?

Where are the people who so confidently predicted (or had heard, from a well placed source) that we'd never get anywhere near 10,000 season tickets?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:16 - Sep 19 with 10408 viewsSuperfrans

Mick can't really win can he.... on 14:59 - Sep 19 by Illinoisblue

Spot on.

And, we clearly have more in the tank. We have a really good creative player in Celina who will come good in time, good players to come back from injury (Huws, Adeyemi to get fit etc), central defenders to come back and allow Spence/Iorfa (who have been a revelation in central defence) to slot back in at full back, some really good youngsters coming through and proving themselves and a much stronger bench.

We weren't great on Saturday. But we got an important win and are top of the table (on points undropped...).

;-)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

on 15:24 - Sep 19 with 10361 views_

Mick can't really win can he.... on 15:51 - Sep 19 with 10295 viewsClausThomsen

7 games in, we're doing ok...

But this is still the same manager who took us to our worst season for over 50 years over the previous 46 league games.

I'm reserving judgement until the end of the season, half expecting MM to do his usual season-ruining cock-up, like making Gerken the first choice keeper or sticking with a past it 35 year old midfielder to the point opposing fans are filming him waddle about for a laugh.

We all know he's got it in his locker and we all know that 7 games is only 7 games. Keane had a similar start one season IIRC.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024