Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... 10:52 - Sep 20 with 1745 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.........2 years early is better than 5 minutes too late ! Get out while you still can !

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2017/09/bubble-fortunes/

(I must do it because I care for my Town family, as I certainly don't have any investments or a pension for that matter!)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 10:58 - Sep 20 with 1719 viewsJ2BLUE

I do actually agree a crash is coming but you can't blame the average person for thinking it's all BS. The same voices have been calling for this crash for years now. A lot of big names in the gold world have been saying buy gold for the last 8 years and mocking those in the stock market who have seen massive increases in their wealth. A lot of it is justified by what you say about how it's better to be massively early than slightly late but people quite fairly ignore it. I'll have a read of that article but I doubt it's anything anyone hasn't seen many times before. Stockman seems to trade on his job in an administration years ago. What has he called lately?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:18 - Sep 20 with 1677 viewsPendejo

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 10:58 - Sep 20 by J2BLUE

I do actually agree a crash is coming but you can't blame the average person for thinking it's all BS. The same voices have been calling for this crash for years now. A lot of big names in the gold world have been saying buy gold for the last 8 years and mocking those in the stock market who have seen massive increases in their wealth. A lot of it is justified by what you say about how it's better to be massively early than slightly late but people quite fairly ignore it. I'll have a read of that article but I doubt it's anything anyone hasn't seen many times before. Stockman seems to trade on his job in an administration years ago. What has he called lately?

It is all immaterial...

Between Trump v KJU, natural disasters and Nubiru any crash will be a really violent physical one rather than fiscal.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/856288/end-of-the-world-September-23-2017-

If the world is to end on 23rd Sept hopefully it is after we have won 3 points at Leeds, for at least we can be blown to smithereens as happy fans.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:28 - Sep 20 with 1660 viewsWD19

A crash will come and it will be big. Beyond big.

But how many years do you forgo 5%+ returns on your pension fund before you batten down the hatches? 10 years compound interest on a £300k fund is well north of £200k......that's lots of new Nissan Micras to see you through retirement in Holland-on-sea.

Its a rhetorical question anyway. The only people feeling smug will those that have routinely warned about a crash for the preceding decade and use it as an opportunity to be proved 'right'.

Its like saying Christmas will come tmw. Sooner or later they will be right.
Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:57 - Sep 20 with 1626 viewsJ2BLUE

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:28 - Sep 20 by WD19

But how many years do you forgo 5%+ returns on your pension fund before you batten down the hatches? 10 years compound interest on a £300k fund is well north of £200k......that's lots of new Nissan Micras to see you through retirement in Holland-on-sea.

Its a rhetorical question anyway. The only people feeling smug will those that have routinely warned about a crash for the preceding decade and use it as an opportunity to be proved 'right'.

Agreed. I have stood on the sidelines for ages waiting for the sh1t to hit the fan. I finally opened a shares ISA the other day via the Moneybox app before changing my mind and closing it.

I'm just going to build up some cash savings for now.

Truly impaired.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:57 - Sep 20 with 1623 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:28 - Sep 20 by WD19

Maybe forego one of the Micras for a generator, water purifier (and rain butts, Benters !) and certainly a tin foil hat and then report back to me in my bunker......it will be truly bigly!

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:00 - Sep 20 with 1611 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 10:58 - Sep 20 by J2BLUE

From today's automaticearth because I know you like this stuff....purely for interest.
https://howmuch.net/articles/bitcoin-wealth-distribution

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:12 - Sep 20 with 1575 viewsStokieBlue

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 11:57 - Sep 20 by J2BLUE

Agreed. I have stood on the sidelines for ages waiting for the sh1t to hit the fan. I finally opened a shares ISA the other day via the Moneybox app before changing my mind and closing it.

I'm just going to build up some cash savings for now.

Cash can fluctuate as well and you are not gaining anything as interest rates are below inflation.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:13 - Sep 20 with 1573 viewsStokieBlue

Some interesting points in that article, I don't agree with all of them though. It's not specifically about QE, the real issue is low interest rates which creates a lot of very cheap funding which can then be shifted to assets paying more than the borrowing rate and pocketing the difference. Eventually (probably quite soon) interest rates will have to begin rising to counter inflation and the level of cheap funding and that could cause major problems within the housing market.

The real bubble is China, it's property bubble is immense and the government tell the banks to keep lending. That is likely to pop at some point.

With regards to shares, some things are fundemental - Amazon's share price is high because 50% of everything bought online in the US is bought from Amazon. They have a cash stream to justify a high share price. Companies like Facebook are going to be more likely to be hit by a crash.

On things like Microsoft, they are sitting on a cash pile of about 100bn USD and can intervene with share buybacks if they want to preserve their stock price. Same for all the other large tech companies.

In the end that article doesn't really say anything. He's given some fairly accurate examples of what could happen in a crash without giving a good justification as to why the crash will be triggered. It's a prediction like many people make but he hasn't given the evidence to support it over "leverage is bad".

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:23 - Sep 20 with 1539 viewsStokieBlue

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:00 - Sep 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

From today's automaticearth because I know you like this stuff....purely for interest.
https://howmuch.net/articles/bitcoin-wealth-distribution

That article is a bit weird.

Bitcoin is not evenly distributed and that's not a surprise, many of the early adopters have a larger number of bitcoins as they were much cheaper then. That is no different to older people having more properties as they were cheaper then or any other commodity where the price has increased.

As with other assets there is a good argument to say it should not be so focused in single places but it's not really that different to other things. The Chinese have been heavy buyers over the last few years as it's a mechanism to get money out of the country but as of the end of this month a number of Chinese exchanges are being closed by the government. This did cause a crash of about 25% of the value last week but it's already recovered the price.

Some of the statements in the article are just strange/wrong:

"There’s only a very limited number of bitcoin wallet providers out there. It’s not like you can just go to your local bank and buy some bitcoin."

You can buy bitcoin from a large number of sources as well as get it from cash machines using fiat.

"The big takeaway from all this is that if you are considering purchasing some bitcoin, you have very limited options. There are only a few key players in the game where you can park your investment. And if you do make that purchase, understand that it is highly speculative and unregulated, so prepare for a bumpy ride."

Some parts of this are true, some aren't. Anyone can park their investment on their own computers as bitcoin wallets can be downloaded and generated at will - you don't have to use some centralised exchange for storage unless you wish to or wish to trade bitcoins/altcoins. You will need to go through an exchange if you want to convert your bitcoins back to fiat though.

The real point he makes and it's a very good one indeed is that bitcoin is highly volatile and it is quite speculative so be prepared for large gains and losses depending on how you manage your coins. There is only a finite supply of bitcoins though so if demand keeps increasing the price will keep increasing. It could blow up absolutely spectacularly though.

SB

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:41 - Sep 20 with 1510 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:13 - Sep 20 by StokieBlue

Some interesting points in that article, I don't agree with all of them though. It's not specifically about QE, the real issue is low interest rates which creates a lot of very cheap funding which can then be shifted to assets paying more than the borrowing rate and pocketing the difference. Eventually (probably quite soon) interest rates will have to begin rising to counter inflation and the level of cheap funding and that could cause major problems within the housing market.

The real bubble is China, it's property bubble is immense and the government tell the banks to keep lending. That is likely to pop at some point.

With regards to shares, some things are fundemental - Amazon's share price is high because 50% of everything bought online in the US is bought from Amazon. They have a cash stream to justify a high share price. Companies like Facebook are going to be more likely to be hit by a crash.

On things like Microsoft, they are sitting on a cash pile of about 100bn USD and can intervene with share buybacks if they want to preserve their stock price. Same for all the other large tech companies.

In the end that article doesn't really say anything. He's given some fairly accurate examples of what could happen in a crash without giving a good justification as to why the crash will be triggered. It's a prediction like many people make but he hasn't given the evidence to support it over "leverage is bad".

SB

I know QE only got a passing mention but I couldn't help myself.
Not surprisingly a lot of this sails way over my head but one thing the blogger repeatedly mentions is how the markets regulators no longer requiring 'mark to market' is what has enabled the illusion of market wealth (bubble) to inflate.
Glad you enjoyed the read though.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:45 - Sep 20 with 1501 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:23 - Sep 20 by StokieBlue

That article is a bit weird.

Bitcoin is not evenly distributed and that's not a surprise, many of the early adopters have a larger number of bitcoins as they were much cheaper then. That is no different to older people having more properties as they were cheaper then or any other commodity where the price has increased.

As with other assets there is a good argument to say it should not be so focused in single places but it's not really that different to other things. The Chinese have been heavy buyers over the last few years as it's a mechanism to get money out of the country but as of the end of this month a number of Chinese exchanges are being closed by the government. This did cause a crash of about 25% of the value last week but it's already recovered the price.

Some of the statements in the article are just strange/wrong:

"There’s only a very limited number of bitcoin wallet providers out there. It’s not like you can just go to your local bank and buy some bitcoin."

You can buy bitcoin from a large number of sources as well as get it from cash machines using fiat.

"The big takeaway from all this is that if you are considering purchasing some bitcoin, you have very limited options. There are only a few key players in the game where you can park your investment. And if you do make that purchase, understand that it is highly speculative and unregulated, so prepare for a bumpy ride."

Some parts of this are true, some aren't. Anyone can park their investment on their own computers as bitcoin wallets can be downloaded and generated at will - you don't have to use some centralised exchange for storage unless you wish to or wish to trade bitcoins/altcoins. You will need to go through an exchange if you want to convert your bitcoins back to fiat though.

The real point he makes and it's a very good one indeed is that bitcoin is highly volatile and it is quite speculative so be prepared for large gains and losses depending on how you manage your coins. There is only a finite supply of bitcoins though so if demand keeps increasing the price will keep increasing. It could blow up absolutely spectacularly though.

SB

I know nothing about bitcoin.......but know J2 has an interest.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:57 - Sep 20 with 1477 viewsJ2BLUE

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:12 - Sep 20 by StokieBlue

Cash can fluctuate as well and you are not gaining anything as interest rates are below inflation.

SB

Absolutely. Especially now with inflation picking up but i'd just like a bit more cash on hand and then i'll look at investments again.

Truly impaired.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:58 - Sep 20 with 1475 viewsJ2BLUE

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:45 - Sep 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks for posting but I don't have a clue about Bitcoin either! I remember posting about cryptocurrencies but I never bought any.

Truly impaired.

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 13:06 - Sep 20 with 1459 viewsStokieBlue

Q.E. special (Stokie) and any investors/pension fund holders....... on 12:45 - Sep 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well now you know a little bit at least :).

The concept and technology is interesting, whether it ever has a real-world application as a currency is still to be seen.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024